Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld

A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 14, 7:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Physci
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 18, 14, 1:31 pm

Programs: ABBA
Great idea for a thread I agree about the lack of distractions on board a plane, it's a great argument against on board phone service or wifi.
Old Aug 18, 14, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Sorry, totally OT but the 'secret plan to fight inflation' was one of my favorite West Wing episodes. Great FT name

Oh and very much enjoying the thread.
Ooh - 'The West Wing'! We're currently four episodes into series four for the umpteenth time! We've had to replace some series DVDs since they've worn out from repeated viewings

I'm enjoying this thread too - but can we start one about 'The West Wing'?!
Old Aug 18, 14, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Great idea, cws ^ Looking forward to spending the week reading about your travels.
Old Aug 18, 14, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Updated to complete Monday's travel, taking me to a night stop in Madrid, I will now try to answer some of the questions in a separate post.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Updated to complete Monday's travel, taking me to a night stop in Madrid, I will now try to answer some of the questions in a separate post.
Hmmm ... your pseudo-BizJet seemed pretty dank, albeit survivable for an 1 hour sector. I've had better food offering in the back of an RAF C-130
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Diamond, Tesco Clubcard
I don't know why (and I'm trying not to be a fawning gushbag), but I am really looking forward to the remainder of this, er, non-trip report.

Not sure if I should be looking to get out a little this week, just to mix things up.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Really great idea for a thread CWS

As I am an infrequent flyer, it's really interesting to read how someone with your flight frequencies manages on a daily basis. I normally need a holiday after a TP run

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jayjaygee View Post
I don't know why (and I'm trying not be be a fawning gushbag), but I am really looking forward to the remainder of this, er, non-trip report.
Just think of it as a dissertation on the suffering associated with earning BAEC LTG.

I have no idea how some people can live that sort of existence, but then they are all younger than me.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Such an interesting thread so far - very much looking forward to the rest. Always interesting to compare your life on the road with that of others. CWS - I stand in awe of your organisation and resilience.

Originally Posted by DrGee View Post
I'd also like to know whether those that do so much travelling for their work actually enjoy it. Or is it a bit of a chore that they secretly hate?
I've done a lot of travelling over the last 2 years - probably looking at GGL in the not too distant future. Its part of my job (and I thought I knew what I was getting into) but I can definitely say, hand on heart, its really wearing me down. Its cost me my relationship with my boyfriend, I have little social life and my puggies (and friends) barely see me.

It started out fun and exciting. Now - not so much Waking up in another hotel, breakfast on my own, queues for security, boarding, arrivals, hire cars, hotel check-ins - the never ending expenses claim forms, a flat tyre at T5 last week...first world problems I know. But collectively, its wearing.

Trouble is I like meeting new people and I still enjoy what I actually do so I need to stick with the travel for now. Things can only get better. Off for as holiday in 2 weeks time ^

BTW - Dr Gee - you're not my old physics teacher are you?
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:13 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
This is excellent, really interesting to read how the never ending flyers do it! One thing though CWS, im confused by your bus route and hotel arrival times (not that it matters!!). Thanks for fitting in the time to do this.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Monday morning - London City to Granada, then Madrid I follow the advice given by DDDC, walk over the footbridge, through the office building (so unBritish!) and into the Bank Street entrance of the Jubilee line.

Tube: Canary Wharf to London City
Leave Canary Wharf: 07:46
Arrive London City: 08:01
Jubilee line to Canning Town, then DLR.

That was easy enough. Seats all the way.
Glad to have been of assistance!

A bit of trivia for you, the bridge you walked over is just one half of what was originally there. (Hence the few steps down to the building level) The other half was removed and the dock partially filled in to create the land mass for the buildings that now stand there. Heron Quay was the "inspiration" for London City Airport as they landed a Dash-8 there to prove it could be done.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:17 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
You were very lucky with the Hilton Madrid shuttle. I like this hotel but you can wait over 45 mins the shuttle. On my last visit when the shuttle finally did arrive it was only. For BA crew. Fortunately the dap attain saw our BA Gold tags and invited our family to share the shuttle. Still you right about good links into the city and the rooms are very good as are the room service burgers
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Just had time to read this through....great 'diary'.
Looking forward to the next bit.

I agree totally with breakfast 'breathgate'...but do as my dentist advises - brush before breakfast but floss and mouthwash after.
...my dentist is probably a very rich man!
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Firstly I am extremely grateful to heckenhocker, Flexible preferences, Tobias-UK, katie666, Tintin_on_the_road, bobbob1976, gustavmahler, rxfleming, thejohn, Sixth Freedom, AeroWesty, Crampedin13A, Paralytic, expatboy, Frequent_Flyer1, 1HourPhoto, pablol, Vinotraveller, AeroWesty, IAMORGAN, Cymro, 710 77345, Physci, redshift27, csutter, golfmad, Speedbird876, fredandgingermad, BA0197, Banana4321, bradders81, TRVLUPGD, bafan, crazy8534, HIDDY, longpause, paulwuk, ABZGirl and Genius1. I am genuinely very humbled that all of you have taken the time to comment in this thread, and I've read all your comments with interest. That's a huge list of names.

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Ah ha, so if the Hilton Canary Wharf saves you time tomorrow you must be on the babybus? Did you not fancy the Ibis Styles hotel 5 minutes walk away from LCY? Tube from Canary Wharf to Canning Town then DLR to LCY?
Well you got that flight a bit wrong! I get a hefty negotiated deal on Hilton rates, and no reduction at all on Ibis, but yes, I'll look at that for further travel.

Originally Posted by our_kid View Post
Am on it too - maybe what you also get up to in flight? Am guessing a well loaded iPod or equivalent with top tunes
Funnily enough, I don't listen to music during working hours, it seems wrong somehow. Obviously when the day is done I'm straight off to Zane Lowe's and NME's recent finds.

Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Goodness me CWS, we were on the same tube ex T5 today. I was in the first coach going to Boston Manor (I'm in the Hilton Syon Park tonight).
How strange, but there again you're something of a FTer proximity magnet, are you not? I was in coach 3, you would have spotted me desperately trying to upload stuff into Flyertalk!

Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Perplexed as why you took to the long way with the DLR to South Quay, with a long connection at the Bank/Monument complex and not the Jubilee line from Westminster (down a few escalators, but no long walk like bank or the 1 stop change at Green Park), and then the few minutes walk through the West Atrium at CW and then over the bridge to the Hilton?
Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle View Post
Jub was closed from Westminster yesterday.
I used the Transport for London search tool, it didn't through up the Jubilee line and now I know why. The TfL tool also probably doesn't know about the footbridge over to Canary Wharf since this morning it did suggest a DLR ride to from South Quay to Canary Wharf Jubilee and then Canning Town, which makes no sense at all! So I followed dddc's advice and it was quick enough to just walk over the water.

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Do you mean you have all of next week off, or are you crossing the international date line at the end of the week?
Ah that was unclear: I'm travelling every day until and including Saturday, except that Friday is my day off from flying.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I will admit that my first thought on seeing the BAEC app was that it seemed slightly unrealistic that your upcoming flight was showing on the latest version. Maybe that's now a GGL-only benefit
The latest version of the App is a lot better than previous versions, it is more or less usable now. But I use it as a backup, it isn't too tricky for me to get a printed copy, I've even got Iberia.com to behave this week!

Originally Posted by DrGee View Post
I'd also like to know whether those that do so much travelling for their work actually enjoy it. Or is it a bit of a chore that they secretly hate?
Originally Posted by Omba View Post
Or to use a Heppell Flip, do they affect to hate it, but secretly love it
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Of course, you can have a telephone call or email exchange with someone you know well very easily—but when you are talking to people you don't know yet, particularly when you don't share a common fluent language, it is quite hard to get any further than the transient and purely professional rapport sustained only by your immediate need for the conversation.
Well indeed, a lot of my work is dealing with people who speak various languages; and in some cultures (most cultures?) the personal connection is a key part of doing business or gaining trust. The English speaking world is actually on a bit of limb here, I feel. I don't really parse the travel as a chore or a thrill, it's just work: some people drive buses, I sit on an aircraft, and it certainly beats dagging sheep in the pouring rain.

Originally Posted by gav0106 View Post
Thanks for a great read cws and I am sure lots of useful info. Out of interest do you book your own flights and itinerary or you have agent who does this for? All the best gav
Originally Posted by dylanks View Post
Do you plan to cover how you booked this trip (or how it was booked for you)? When you book these multi-city itineraries, are they separate tickets? Fully-flexible? Do you use apps like TripIt and FlightTrack Pro to keep track of it all, just rely on someone from your office to keep you informed, etc.?
This week I'm on inflexible tickets, and I've booked them all myself, they are all on 125 tickets this week. I know the system well now, and the limitations, what may go wrong and so on. I often take risks on separate tickets too, and BA haven't caused me any grief there (they would be churlish to complain). I do use travel agents for complex trips outside oneworld, Lufthansa and Air France KLM, if it's not worth my while doing the homework. I use Tripcase, which is better in North America than Europe, but it keep all telephone numbers together, lets me know if a flight is badly out of kilter and what the alternatives are.

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
- Fisherman's Friends
Yes I am about to appoint this to the travel bag. The two fripperies I take with me - and I'm hard on myself not to take such trifles - are Vicks inhaler tube and witch-hazel eye drops. They really make a difference when flying. I also do the bags within bags, it makes easier to find things, especially in security.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Does the black mug travel with you?
I haven't got it with me at the moment, but I hope for a reunion with it tomorrow!
Old Aug 18, 14, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Yes I am about to appoint this to the travel bag. The two fripperies I take with me - and I'm hard on myself not to take such trifles - are Vicks inhaler tube and witch-hazel eye drops. They really make a difference when flying. I also do the bags within bags, it makes easier to find things, especially in security.
Following this with great interest! I generally keep some form of fresh-breath solution at hand (Mrs LE has reminded me kindly that there is nothing more off-putting than stale garlic breath).

Very interested to see where you are going next, and indeed if our travels might intersect (increasing chance of EU-travel this week).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: