Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Physci
Print Wikipost

A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I do have to say this is gearing up to be one of the most interesting Trip Reports I've ever seen. Quick, simple, opinionated and the personal comments all make it a most enjoyable read!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
"To be honest if I was not doing this report"

He's coming round...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Interested to see where the trip will go...

So far this will be the first week of 2014 where LE is taking no trips at all (so far)...

One point I would make to the hotel packing routine is I have a number of little bags, pouches, packing cases for cables, adapters, ties, cufflinks, braces, shoes, shorts, etc.

They add very little in terms of weight, but make for a much more tidy suitcase, and keep shirts and suits wrinkle-free. They also agree with my concept of organising by category!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Favourite bug bear with other business travellers: those that bring there bags to breakfast for immediate departure afterwards. Apart from cluttering the breakfast area they presumably spend their morning, after a big breakfast, in close confines to other office staff, with teeth uncleaned!
Breakfast breath. Why don't people realise? It's a particular problem in Germany from what I've observed.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by bradders81
Breakfast breath. Why don't people realise? It's a particular problem in Germany from what I've observed.
I suppose the breath mint industry is not doing too well.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
I suppose the breath mint industry is not doing too well.
Indeed. Maybe that's a market to go after!! A vending machine in the lobby and an aggressive marketing campaign would help!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold

Thanks for a great read cws and I am sure lots of useful info. Out of interest do you book your own flights and itinerary or you have agent who does this for? All the best gav
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC
For teeth health/protection, my understanding is that you should brush before eating. Brushing after upsets the saliva/acid balance in the mouth and is as damaging to teeth as not brushing at all.

I accept that the fresh breath issue is a separate matter. But, as others have observed, few people brush after lunch or dinner.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Interested to see where the trip will go...

So far this will be the first week of 2014 where LE is taking no trips at all (so far)...

One point I would make to the hotel packing routine is I have a number of little bags, pouches, packing cases for cables, adapters, ties, cufflinks, braces, shoes, shorts, etc.

They add very little in terms of weight, but make for a much more tidy suitcase, and keep shirts and suits wrinkle-free. They also agree with my concept of organising by category!
Cufflinks, braces and shorts? Very dapper LE, all in one outfit I trust?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bafan
. But, as others have observed, few people brush after lunch or dinner.
My wife does...a bit obsessive I feel but she does smile a lot.

I'd love to know where c-w-s gets his energy from? I'm not that much older than him yet could never maintain his lifestyle. I'd be keeling over through physical or mental fatigue by the middle of the week.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Cufflinks, braces and shorts? Very dapper LE, all in one outfit I trust?
That should have been 'shirts'! But shorts for swimming do feature as well...often my only form of formalised exercise while travelling!

I must also admit to slight a slight obsession with having random things in the small front pocket of my Tumi briefcase:

- disinfecting hand gel
- Fisherman's Friends
- mini sowing kit
- bag of nuts from CW
- cable ties
- little bag of emergency cloth cufflinks and mother or pearl collar stays, all in a nice little Thos. Pink satchel
- cigar, cutter, and matches
- Vaseline
- Snaplight safety lightstick
- a few other things I won't admit to...

Last edited by LondonElite; Aug 18, 2014 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:37 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Does the black mug travel with you?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings from Granada airport, another update and some more photos from the morning flight.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Great that you squeeze in time to see the sights. Even on the busiest of business trips, I try to break things up with as much quick sightseeing as possible.

Do you plan to cover how you booked this trip (or how it was booked for you)? When you book these multi-city itineraries, are they separate tickets? Fully-flexible? Do you use apps like TripIt and FlightTrack Pro to keep track of it all, just rely on someone from your office to keep you informed, etc.?

I've had weeks like yours, but now I mostly limit myself to one or two destinations in a given week.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:37 am

Really interesting read and very readable, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.