Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Physci
Print Wikipost

A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Many thanks for all the effort you put in to that, c-w-s ... I'm just sad it's finished. What on earth am I going to read (and re-read) next week?

It's been a fantastic 'experience' following you around: and you are heartily welcome to that lifestyle
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
A big thank you to C-W-S for the time and effort to produce this non-TR which has provided a fascinating insight into your working week.

Much as I might want to do more flying than I currently do, I certainly don't envy the amount that you do.

But do keep up the supply of Ferrero Rocher for DOs
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GinFizz
The answer was clear after noticing that the widow latch at the base of the frame looked out of place, and was in fact a smaller replacement. This had left three holes drilled right through the aluminium frame to the outside world which had turned the window frame into a miniature, if somewhat hobbled pipe organ! A few twists of tissue paper stuffed into the holes later and silence was again restored...
That's a good one. I'll do a proper summary / conclusion later on, but there was a bit of a post script here, namely we had quite an earth tremor / mini earthquake here, about 30 minutes ago.

I was planning on being up early since I'm not on Pacific time all this week, but at 03:32 this morning I was woken by what I initially thought was very noisy neighbours dragging something across their room, scraping the floor as they went. A second or two later it felt like all my dogs (and I've got some big ones) were leaping up and down on my bed in a wild celebration. If you don't have a dog, incidentally, this is what they do! After another second or two I thought "oh, this must be an earthquake, perhaps lying here isn't so sensible?". I weighed up my options: running naked to reception and out of the hotel, getting some clothes on and then running, crawling under the fairly substantial desk. I thought the desk idea was best, since I could probably get some clothes on whilst waiting for the masonry to arrive. Anyway by this stage it stopped completely and that was it really.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28918600

This was my second tremor, the first was a pair during a day and following night a few years ago in Manchester, Mancunians will remember that one.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 24, 2014 at 5:25 am
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Friday 22 August - no flying today
And that, my fellow FTers is the end of the road for this traveller's week. I'll add something at the end of the thread by way of conclusions, I just need to think what they may be. For now, from the Hilton SFO Executive Lounge, I give you my thanks for your support.
We at least need to hear about the return to Blighty, if not anything about SFO - you can't just leave us in the luch [flying in the face of the available evidence here, but...]

^ for a truly stonking read this week - good work!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
They are quite common in the US in general, are they not?
They are, but not usually in larger sealed buildings, like full-service hotels. I was in one hotel recently where the lobby had central air which was fed up to the elevator areas of every floor, but every room had one of these units, plus one beneath the window at the end of every floor's hallway.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
C-W-S thanks for the thread this week, I have enjoyed following it having nothing else to do with myself! Found it very interesting. And even though I don't know you from Adam, as soon as I saw the news of the quake as it happened, I immediately thought of you!

Last edited by manymany; Aug 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Have just caught up with this thread. PHL eh? We're off to PHL in J for the first time in a couple of months. We'll even be travelling by train to DC for a day's sightseeing while there.

Following in the footsteps of c-w-s. Who'd have thought it?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: BA
Thanks for the interesting report CWS - it's a nice change from the usual leisure reports!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA gold
...at 03:32 this morning I was woken by what I initially thought was very noisy neighbours dragging something across their room, scraping the floor as they went. A second or two later it felt like all my dogs.
Sounds like you noticed the distinctive forms of seismic waves.... P/S waves (compression, primary; shaking; secondary), and/or possibly Love waves. Did you really have an eventful night in SFO? Or were you dreaming of your sheep... could be a Lamb wave (related to a Rayleigh wave).

Love/Lamb/Rayleigh waves are types of surface waves (there are others) and are the most destructive seismic waves after an earthquake as it has the greatest surface motion.

I'm also jealous you get to experience a relatively strong seismic activity.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Second-best thread on FT after printingandbreakfast.

Actually, scratch that - best thread on FT. And the t-shirt choice!

Philly is a charming place (the accent just gets me) and BA sending the 787 there might be the last straw to finally make me visit again although for anyone who's not done the East coast US, I recommend starting at Boston and working your way down to DC. You'll almost certainly make a bunch of friends and then keep running into them - we met one group in Boston, then at the same hostel (student days!) in Philly, then again at the railings of the White House!

If you do Baltimore, don't get the bus through the outskirts...that was an experience
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stez
Love/Lamb/Rayleigh waves are types of surface waves (there are others) and are the most destructive seismic waves after an earthquake as it has the greatest surface motion.

I'm also jealous you get to experience a relatively strong seismic activity.
One of the fantastic things about FT is there are so many experts here, I forgot this was your bread and butter, I was about to send it BotB's way as our natural disasters guru. So: what was the noise?

The feeling, lying in my bed face up, was of the centre and sides of the bed curling inwards and then downwards, followed by a wave sweeping across from my toes to the my shoulder. My toes were pointing to Sacramento, my head was pointing to Hawaii.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 24, 2014 at 2:29 pm Reason: Extra info
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:30 pm

The feeling, lying in my bed face up, was of the centre and sides of the bed curling inwards and then downwards, followed by a wave sweeping across from my toes to the my shoulder. My toes were pointing to Sacramento, my head was pointing to Hawaii.
How sure are you that that wasn't just housekeeping changing the linen?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA gold
One of the fantastic things about FT is there are so many experts here, I forgot this was your bread and butter, I was about to send it BotB's way as our natural disasters guru. So: what was the noise?

The feeling, lying in my bed face up, was of the centre and sides of the bed curling inwards and then downwards, followed by a wave sweeping across from my toes to the my shoulder.
The noise was most probably the P-waves for the initial noise you heard... a rattling sort of noise. As you were asleep, you may have missed some more subtle signs that did not wake you up... if so, then it could well be S-waves, a shaking motion which may have caused things to rattle.

The motions you felt in bed were the various components of the destructive waves and are typically low frequency (<20Hz), high amplitude, relatively low velocity surface events.

Without instruments/data I can't tell you if you had a Love wave in your bed or not, but chances are you did have one. Or... as CreativeBill said, maybe it was the housekeeper.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Just when you were looking for a good way to end the report, the pacific ring of fire did it for you! Glad to hear you made it through that one unscathed CWS. Fantastic read, loved the tomato sauce story!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Thank you for this amazingly interesting and insightful report c-w-s. I'm intrigued as to where the next few days will take you.

I lost count of the number of TPs you clocked up early on in the week!

Thanks again and I hope to see you again at an FT do soon (or in the CCR!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.