Search
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Physci
Print Wikipost

A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by katie666
Is it OK to ask which lounge is open at NCL at that time of the morning? We will be on the BA1321 in October & thought the lounges didn't open until 06:00.

Katie
The lounge is open 2 hours before the first flight, which is a bit silly at that hour, Aim for about 1 hour or a bit more if I were you.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Is it OK to ask which lounge is open at NCL at that time of the morning? We will be on the BA1321 in October & thought the lounges didn't open until 06:00.

Katie
As CWS says they do open two hours before. The lounge is pleasant but nothing special.

One things CWS may not have experience of (but I wouldn't put money down!) is the DoubleTree hotel across the road. If you're staying here before the flight, breakfast starts at 4am and it's not a bad place to start the day and the food and coffee is of course better than the lounge. If I end up on the 1321 I try to spend as much time in the restaurant as possible and walk over to the airport as late as I can.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am enjoying this thread, I think, if time allowed its nice to read other peoples experiences and views on life travelling the world. Its a great thread, thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The lounge is open 2 hours before the first flight, which is a bit silly at that hour, Aim for about 1 hour or a bit more if I were you.
OK. Thank You. I take it that's the BA lounge. We'll be there early as we needto check luggage through to MCO. I will have the minimum of hand luggage though.
I'm enjoying reading your posts and appreciate the time you're taking to post the pic's too.

Katie
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by paul4040
As CWS says they do open two hours before. The lounge is pleasant but nothing special.

One things CWS may not have experience of (but I wouldn't put money down!) is the DoubleTree hotel across the road. If you're staying here before the flight, breakfast starts at 4am and it's not a bad place to start the day and the food and coffee is of course better than the lounge. If I end up on the 1321 I try to spend as much time in the restaurant as possible and walk over to the airport as late as I can.
Thanks for the info Paul. One can never have too much information.

Katie
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Thank You. I take it that's the BA lounge. We'll be there early as we needto check luggage through to MCO. I will have the minimum of hand luggage though.
I'm enjoying reading your posts and appreciate the time you're taking to post the pic's too.

Katie
At NCL one hour will still be fine for bag drop. If you are of the nervous disposition make it 70-80 minutes.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying following this -- thanks, CWS!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
thanks c-w-s for the effort you are putting in into this. i very (!) much enjoy reading it!

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 20, 2014 at 5:18 am Reason: edited out comments about moderation
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Ignoring the silly politics of the 'move', I'm thoroughly enjoying this, CWS. All my friends think I travel a ridiculous amount, but I see that I am a true amateur compared to you
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:14 am

CWS - obviously sleeping in your own bed is great - but to fly Madrid > London > Newcastle arriving late evening arriving at 8pm, then get up at 4? 5? to go to the airport to fly back to London - why not just stay in London in a hotel? Not for money, but for quality sleep!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
CWS An excellent report, and a bit of understanding into your working world.

Last edited by matthandy; Aug 20, 2014 at 6:12 am Reason: Removing comments about the decision to move the thread
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Enjoying the uptodate thread, and glad on your journey to the airport deer were well out of the way, would have been a bit of a mess if you had hit one of those big animals, mark you venison meat is lovely. Am looking forward to reading more of your really busy work schedule, I still wonder how you manage to be sane at the end of it, or maybe you are always just on autopilot ^
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Madrid workshop and then some more flying to LHR and then....

Of course one unadvertised benefit of those with stratospheric CIVs is the ability to select which gate your aircraft departs from so naturally I select A19, which is the most handy for CCR, even if the less frequent flyers have a whinge at it being too far from the pub.
Ahhh wonderful.... off to make a 5000 TP run and never have a C gate again!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:45 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
c-w-s, thanks for the interesting report! I wouldn't have seen this as I'm not a BAEC forum regular, so I'm glad it got moved to TR.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
And an early update for Wednesday, don't get too excited!
I'm wondering CWS, with the sheep and cats self-sufficient, the labs (if they are anything like mine) probably fast asleep in the warmest part of the kitchen by 2045, would it not have been easier and sleep-maximising to stay in the Sofitel (or in your case, the Hilton) for the night? I'm an early riser, but I hate waking up at 0400!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.