Live TR: MAN-LHR-BRU-LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA/SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR-BRU-LHR-MAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:05 am

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:14 pm

Welcome to the States—hope you’re prepared for frightfully hot PNW weather. 93°F/34°C in Seattle tomorrow. We’ll be roasting at 100°F/38°C in Portland.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by billinghamn

Anyway, we now have 60 mins to boarding from Gate 36 so no probs.
well done - I hope it goes that smooth when we go thru JFK in a few weeks! Glad that you had some time in the flagship - enjoy the premium lounge at MIA - I personally quite like the lounge at MIA.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Welcome to the States—hope you’re prepared for frightfully hot PNW weather. 93°F/34°C in Seattle tomorrow. We’ll be roasting at 100°F/38°C in Portland.
Thanks AeroWesty - we checked the weather forecast in all of the places we will be staying over at, and it averaged out at 88°F. Down in Medford and Redding it was over 100°F. Great stuff - looking forward to baking in a convertible!

Last edited by billinghamn; Aug 10, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Hope you're enjoying AA1451. I just checked and I've been on the flight twice. Although (useless information to follow), it used to be called AA145.

You made the right choice, I think with the salad. Was the other option a wrap? Looking forward to the pictures.

As for MIA lounges, I know the offerings are better in the E-concourse lounge and it's getting lots of positive recommendations and I know you're familiar with all the lounges already.

Just to say that the Admirals at D15 isn't awful. It's small etc. Though it should be said that I think it has more of a party atmosphere if some are looking for that. It is better for people going on holidays and having a few drinks.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Hope you're enjoying AA1451. I just checked and I've been on the flight twice. Although (useless information to follow), it used to be called AA145.
That's so funny - that's the sort of thing I would come out with.

You made the right choice, I think with the salad. Was the other option a wrap? Looking forward to the pictures.
Yes a beef wrap was the other option. billinghamv is wheat intolerant so she tries to avoid wraps and breads etc. I sometimes go the same way to show support!

As for MIA lounges, I know the offerings are better in the E-concourse lounge and it's getting lots of positive recommendations and I know you're familiar with all the lounges already.

Just to say that the Admirals at D15 isn't awful. It's small etc. Though it should be said that I think it has more of a party atmosphere if some are looking for that. It is better for people going on holidays and having a few drinks.
There's positives in all of the lounges in MIA I think and thanks for the suggestions re parties and the D15 AC. Perhaps I could drop billinghamv off there to start a party and I could head off to D30 AC to see whether my friend is around!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Glad you're going to keep this one going and thank you for the updates ^
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
Glad you're going to keep this one going and thank you for the updates ^
Thanks CMK10 - now reached the Premium Lounge on Concourse E. The lounge dragon was very slow in checking our BCs. Wanted to know when we had come from London. I just wonder whether the lounge is only for international pax?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Sun 10 Aug BA0175 - LHR-JFK

Equip: 747
Scheduled Depart: 09:55 Actual: 10:19
Scheduled Arrival: 12:25 Actual: 12:44
Takeoff: 10:50 Touchdown: 12:29

Alarm went off at 5:30 and I stuck the kettle on to wake Vick up. We needed to be out by 6:10 at the latest to make sure we got on the 6:17 bus back to Heathrow. After a bit of flapping, I managed to get billinghamv organised and out of the hotel on time. Outside we were disturbed by the thunderous noise of 747s flying directly overhead on the way in to landing at LHR. We also bumped into someone heading off to South America and the Machu Pichu trail – the same route that one of our dinner guests last night is planning to do next year.

The bus successfully traversed the Travelodge again (it is tight getting around that inner concrete car park) and we were back at T5 in no time. Although we had PDF versions of our boarding cards, they were not sufficient to use them to get through security, so we had to pop back to get new boarding cards printed. Fast Track security wasn’t much of a hold up, and I had to head off quickly to get to my back massage appointment at Elemis, leaving billinghamv to sort the liquids which had been selected for a random check.

I filled in the Elemis form in a few mins, even though they gave me a pen which was hesitant to provide any ink to its nib, and then I was in with a very nice Indian young lady, and before anything was said I was stripped off to my waist. Well that’s clearly not the thing to do for a 15 mins light massage, and I think I embarrassed the young lady with my slim toned body… ☺

15 mins later I was waiting for the massage to get serious, and she announced it was complete, so I wasn’t entirely overwhelmed with the experience. However one shouldn’t complain about a free massage! billinghamv was in next and she got the same young lady although she went for a facial, and it sounded like she got a far better experience. She had an automated machine whilst having the facial so it was more of an all body massage and facial treatment.

Whilst billinghamv was in for her treatment, I bagged a table for breakfast in the CCR, and settled down to upload my blog, pictures and get back to posting on FT. Breakfast was extremely good, with prompt service and good quality food. Shame they can’t deliver a Starbucks to the table, but I think I’d be dreaming if that happened. Headed out to the Terrace briefly and then about T-60mins we walked down towards the Transit Walkway which was exactly as everyone on FT describes it – quiet! It’s a lovely walk down to T5C which took us about 10 mins.

We queued up at the head of the Fast Track line and about 10 mins later we were heading through the gate, down the escalator and past the extra security checks – I imagined I would be picked out due to my large amount of hand luggage, but I smiled politely and walked on by. There was a small queue getting on the 747 due to the number of pax that needed extra help but as soon as we said hello to the CC, it was obvious we were going to be treated well. We were shown through to First Class and introduced to the CC that was going to look after us for the flight. We were first into First Class, and with no one around we filled up the wardrobe and took a few piccies.

We were offered LPGS which I took up and enjoyed immensely. Settled down into our new environment. Vick even turned down the PJs!

Luckily the hurricane coming across from the US has died down to an extent that it’s no longer a threat to our flight. It’s just brought with it a shed load of rain which is down coming down like a torrent. We also have a leak in First Class from an overhead panel which is dripping down over the pax in 2A and 2K (shame). The captain came down and personally mopped up the remaining water from the panel and everyone was happy.

Left about 30 mins late with a very long taxi to the westerly runway – hopefully the delay shouldn’t cause us too many concerns. They are expecting us to arrive around 12:30 into JFK T7 so that gives us 2 hours to get across to T8. We have Global Entry so immigration should be a breeze. At least we don’t need to fill in any paperwork.

There are 7 people in F today – no one that I recognise so no celebs as far as I can tell. CC have been fabulous – very welcoming, and have given us lots of their time. Apparently business class is packed so it’s nice to have a little bit of additional feel of space up front.

We agreed that I would head over to 1A for dinner and we would use the buddy seat. It is tight at the front – perhaps tighter than in the rows further back? With being 6’4” and a reasonable build I didn’t have any real space for my shoulders. For dinner we had the amuse bouche, scallops, a light salad and the beef. As reported elsewhere the beef was well done, but was very tasty, so no particular complaints from us. We decided to pass on the pudding.

After about 3 hours of the flight we decided to bed down for a nap, and the CC kindly prepared our beds for us – mattress and duvet. Now I don’t normally sleep on a day flight, but I slept like a baby for a couple of hours on this – wow – very comfy indeed. Started to think about packing up and being ready to head out in a timely fashion. Although we have Global Entry, there’s no point in hanging around – we need to get over to T8 and into the Admiral’s Club Flagship lounge.

The CC were excellent on this flight – we couldn’t have had a better level of service. Just before landing we had our delayed pudding – I had a Lemon and Raspberry Torte which was sensational (it also had some green gunge with it which was disgusting, but I ignored that bit). Vick had some mascarpone ice cream. One last coffee and we were on our first landing attempt.

I say attempt since after the initial shock of the noise when the landing gear went down (I assume we must have been directly above the landing gear), within about a minute or so, the gear was retracted and it was all serene again. We ascended a bit and banked to the left. A few mins later the captain came on the tannoy and reminded us that safety was his priority and that’s why he decided to abort the landing due to being too close to the aircraft in front.

The second attempt was more successful and it looked like we might be a few mins late, but then of course it took a good few mins to reach the BA gate area and then we needed a tug to pull us to the gate. The CC did well in keeping the rabble in CW (!) at bay whilst the pax in First left the aircraft and we were quickly down through immigration (via Global Entry – it always amazes me how good this system is). There was a tannoy announcement for us to find the AA rep, and when we found her she advised that we had less than two hours connection time and that we needed to head over to T8 without any delay and to use the yellow Express Connections ticket holder that she provided to us. I thought that was very good service.

Then we were on to the AirTrain to T8, through express security and (briefly) in to the Flagship Lounge in the Admiral’s Club.

Last edited by billinghamn; Aug 29, 2014 at 10:10 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Sun 10 Aug AA1451 - JFK-MIA

Equip: 757
Scheduled Depart: 14:30 Actual: 14:25
Scheduled Arrival: 18:00 Actual: 17:26
Takeoff: 14:44 Touchdown: 17:15

It was pretty quiet in the lounge, probably because of it being a Sunday, but there was a decent selection of food and drink nonetheless. We only managed 30 mins in the Flagship lounge before we had to head off to Gate 36.

The short journey down the lift, across the concourse, down the escalator, along the travelator, up the escalator, round the corner, and along to the gate didn’t take very long. The AA gate was ready and the sign indicated that boarding would commence in 11 mins. Well with about 7 mins left they announced that First Class pax could board when they liked, so since we liked, we boarded. Always good to get on early when you have a lot of hand luggage!

Once everyone was on board, the captain came out and asked in a very cheery voice “Who wants to go to Miami?” to which there was deathly silence. Without any hesitation he continued “I just wanted to make sure I was on the right airplane”.

They are always ruthlessly efficient in my experience, and again AA demonstrated that there was nothing that was going to stop them from getting away on time. They work so fast that there’s no time for smiles, or pleasantries. It’s just get on to the next job or pax and keep your eye on the time.

Got my order in for a Samuel Adams beer prior to departure, and we both selected the BBQ chicken salad. No ice cream sundae though for pudding – probably because the flight isn’t long enough at a tad under 3 hours. The food was pretty decent – it came with a ranch dressing and overall it was tasty. We ended up with warm cookies which, as always, are to die for...

Logged on to GoGo and one of my previously purchased mobile all day passes was used to get online – I’ll be able to use that on the next flight as well. It’s nice to be able to surf and update the blog whilst in the air. The TV programmes being shown were certainly not that entertaining.

Arrived ahead of schedule – nothing too controversial happened on the flight – regular AA domestic flight which ran like clockwork. Arrived at gate D20 – had to wait for an outgoing aircraft to leave the stand which held us up by about 5 mins. After that the most annoying thing was the MIA signs which always get me – I always look for D30 which is where the main Admiral’s Club is, and is also the way to get to the Premium Lounge on Concourse E. But of course MIA airport doesn’t provide full signs – it assumes everyone is going to go via the SkyTrain – they don’t have the ability to walk further than 100yds. Hence MIA airport directs you the wrong way to get to D30 because the closest SkyTrain is the other way to the way you actually need to be walking. Whinge over…

Got back on the right track and billinghamv started whinging about how far it was to walk after about 2 mins. We eventually got to the Premium Lounge and although the Lounge Dragon took an age to check our boarding cards, we were soon settled down.

Last edited by billinghamn; Aug 29, 2014 at 10:11 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Were the connecting gates called out before your arrival at MIA?

So you'll have heard lots of people going from New York to various destinations in Latin America. 'Sensible routinigs.'

Did the flight attendant stumble when seeing that some passengers were going JFK-MIA-SEA?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Were the connecting gates called out before your arrival at MIA?

So you'll have heard lots of people going from New York to various destinations in Latin America. 'Sensible routinigs.'

Did the flight attendant stumble when seeing that some passengers were going JFK-MIA-SEA?
Yes the connecting gates were called out, but I can't remember her calling out Seattle (our flight leaves almost 4 hours after arriving at MIA). Perhaps the exact reason why the SEA connecting flight isn't called out is because no person with an ounce of sense would go JFK-MIA-SEA! Which I think is the point you are making!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Yikes. Should be a great day for the jays/Ms game...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: FT
Thanks AeroWesty - we checked the weather forecast in all of the places we will be staying over at, and it averaged out at 88°F. Down in Medford and Redding it was over 100°F. Great stuff - looking forward to baking in a convertible!
Be sure to stop in weed for the obligatory welcome to weed photos.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
Be sure to stop in weed for the obligatory welcome to weed photos.
Where's weed?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

We are now on our last flight of the day and the most painful. MIA - SEA will be a 6 hour marathon. Apparently this is a 757-200 but it's obviously an older variety. The seats are brown archaic things which are falling apart. I've done a lot of these 2 class flights with AA in my time and I can't remember anything as bad as this.

Perhaps my memory is going with age?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.