Search

72 hour RTW First Class Mileage Run on American, Qatar and Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BA5E
Enjoying the TR so far, what a pain about the delayed flight but at least you managed to get SQ2 to SIN, look forward to seeing pics of that part of the trip. As shown the seating on AA did not look that brilliant, and bad with just a flimsy curtain to separate it with J, and even on the flight not drawn across to divide the areas.
Thanks very much BA5E. For one moment, I actually thought I'd rather be on BA.

Originally Posted by wrp96
I think one of the things that makes travel more enjoyable is the ability to adapt with the bumps as they arise - you've definitely gotten some practice with that one.
Lots of practice on this one. The enjoyable part is a good outcome. This one was way too stressful that night trying to make things happen.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Just when I was looking for something to do this weekend . Thanks SFO777. Can't wait for the rest.
Thanks Madone59. Hopefully I can organize and knock off a few more flights over the next couple of days.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:31 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by SFO777

All in all, American's new 77W is a big disappointment. I think the old 772 First Class seats and cabin is a better hard product. American could have done so much more with this plane and cabin. In the end, it's still American and a North American service attitude. You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. Service is too casual and lacking in the detailed training that you see on Asian and Gulf airlines. And the hard product it simply not very good. Who on earth approves and signs off on a First Class cabin without curtains to block light and mute some of the noise? Who designs and approves a First Class cabin with two seats partially in the Business Class cabin and then installs flimsy curtains between the two cabins?

For more pics from this flight, please visit sfo777.com

Coming next: Amazing Qatar Airways First Class and the incredible new DOH Hamad International Airport.
This is really a shame. I am trying to like the new American but seeing things like that in a premium cabin makes me not happy.

Training training training. One of the biggest things I deal with on a daily basis :P Food could use improvement too. The food I saw on the 77W inaugurals looked better than that selection.... maybe a mini buffet where you make your own plate? Tapas? something unique or interesting and better than those wraps, bag of chips, etc. and also something that will take the airplane enviroment, and not rot away. Major issue I see with certain foods.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:03 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
OMG, I'd forgotten what fast Wifi was like. Am working on the next chapter but for those that can't wait, here is the entire DFW-LHR flight report from SFO777.com
SFO777, you have the true touch
Even your selfies in the restrooms look like great professional pictures!

How was your return booked?
If it was fully cancelable and you get ORC, is that not the best of all worlds?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Thanks very much BA5E. For one moment, I actually thought I'd rather be on BA.
Here's some comparison to LX - particularly the towels and amuse bouche as well as the salt and pepper shakers are even worlds apart -

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/256017/
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA uses Terminal 3 at LHR while Qatar uses Terminal 4. That means one needs a lot of patience and gets a lot of exercise on this terminal change and connection. No need to clear customs as inter-terminal bus service operates point-to-point service between the terminals. It's a long walk just to get to that bus, although signage is quite good.

Once in T4, another security check to get in. IMO, Britain has to rank right up there with the worst, most clueless and inefficient security screening on the planet.

With good signage, it was easy to find the Qatar Premium Lounge, a very attractive lounge with lovely and attentive staff.

With what you would expect from a 5-star airline that understands service. Numerous comfortable seating areas and a full bistro restaurant with martini bar and beautifully stocked wine "cellar".

I wasn't very hungry and figured I'd eat on the LHR-DOH flight. Opted for a refreshing shower in one of the four attractive showers.

For more pics, please visit my trip report at SFO777.com
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At T-50, I headed out to the nearby gate to maximize my on board time.

London-Doha
Qatar 12
A340-600
10:50A-7:30P
August 5, 2014
First Class
Seat 2A

I had originally booked this flight because it was supposed to be the new A380. Originally scheduled for a June launch, QR kept pushing the delivery date to be point where there is now no fixed date. So the old QR A340 it is. True it is dated, but for all the years and miles, it was still very attractive and comfortable.

But what was even better for me was that I was only First Class passenger today. And wonderful FAs Eun and Abegail pampered me for my seven hours on board.

A peek into the Business Class cabin, and the obligatory "evil eye"

Now this is a First Class menu.

And a real First Class wine list.

Always great plane watching at Heathrow.

Once in the air, showtime. Starting with a glass of Krug.

Knowing that this will be my last chance for good sleep for a few days, I decided to get as much sleep as possible. Two hours of good sleep as Euw made up a bed for me across the aisle.

The only negative I can think of is the antiquated and awful IFE system. It is essentially unwatchable. Even the Flight Info system has flaws.

Our approach to DOH.

And a nice touch closing the F-J curtain on my side of the plane to prevent J pax rushing me to exit.

What an outstanding flight, truly First Class and so much better than my American experience. Qatar is in the same service league as EY and EK. The only thing that is disappointing is that they only operate two class planes to the US. While I'm sure QR Business Class is better than AA First, I would not choose them to/from North America when EY and EK offer First Class service.

For more pics, please visit my trip report at SFO777.com

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 9, 2014 at 8:16 am
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
This is really a shame. I am trying to like the new American but seeing things like that in a premium cabin makes me not happy.
Training training training. One of the biggest things I deal with on a daily basis :P Food could use improvement too. The food I saw on the 77W inaugurals looked better than that selection.... maybe a mini buffet where you make your own plate? Tapas? something unique or interesting and better than those wraps, bag of chips, etc. and also something that will take the airplane enviroment, and not rot away. Major issue I see with certain foods.
Couldn't agree more. Thanks thetravelingRedhead.

Originally Posted by ffI
SFO777, you have the true touch
Even your selfies in the restrooms look like great professional pictures!
How was your return booked?
If it was fully cancelable and you get ORC, is that not the best of all worlds?
Thank you ffI. My original CX ticket was fully refundable.. minus a $35 cancellation fee. I booked my SQ award ticket online at SQ/com at the lounge in MLE. It took less than 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Here's some comparison to LX - particularly the towels and amuse bouche as well as the salt and pepper shakers are even worlds apart -
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/256017/
Talk about penny wise and pound foolish. How much more would cost to cater a first class experience? And how many more pax would buy an F ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:36 am

QR F looks unbelievable, especially that menu-did you sample the entire menu throughout the flight?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Yet another fine TR, SFO777.

I hear what you're saying about the AA 77W, including the odd configuration for the last seats in F and the ever-inconsistent and sometimes loud F FAs. The galley light aside, IF you're sitting farther forward in F and IF you get a could, considerate, quiet crew, the experience is not top notch but isn't at all bad. But that's a lot of IFs.

As someone who flies the AA 77Ws a fair amount in J, I've come to like the plane for that section. It's one of the best TATL Js one can find.

FWIW, flew QR J for the first time recently. Very pleasant, not least because there is so much legroom that you don't have to climb over your seatmate to reach the aisle.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I'm sorry to read of the CX experience. Did they really not offer to rebook you? I am amazed you had to use your own miles to get home.

I'm doing the same flight in about three weeks and now dread being stuck in luxury!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I keep on repeating myself, but it's not a bad thing…

Excellent TR! I started reading it on your website, but have gravitated back over here.

Did AA manage to serve you chilled champagne? Yeah, I'm still holding a grudge that they served me warm champagne in Business. I think a plastic cup for pre-departure drinks in F is pretty dodgy.

The wine list on QR looks pretty dang good. That Tommasi Amarone is one of my favorites. A nice Gewurtztraminer as well. The Central Otago Sauvignon Blanc is a bit different. I'll have to get back to Central Otago one of these days to see all the vines, the last time I was there there wasn't much planted yet.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Thanks for a great trip report, SFO777. I confess I am disappointed... I was sure that Qatar hadn't launched their A380 yet but I was hoping you had perhaps been on some flight I was unaware of. I can't wait for someone to experience that QR F in the A380. The A340 was good too, so thanks for that.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow how lucky to b the only one in f never baopens to me, bet u enjoyed being pampered, and great idea having the next seat to u being made up as a bed, had this once 1a was free was in 2a so great to eat in one seat and sleep in another. Feet with shoes on the ottoman one bad mark:
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:47 am

Did you try the Chateau d'Yquem? Only $3000 a bottle!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:47 am

You write outstanding reports, SFO777... thanks again! Look forward to the next instalments, along with many others here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.