Community
Wiki Posts
Search

72 hour RTW First Class Mileage Run on American, Qatar and Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
DEN looks as awful as I remember it. The constant packs of people, the most horrible layout ever, ugh.

But the rest, especially the part where it's not in DEN looks great. Looking forward to reading more!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:09 am

What a mess. It's screw ups like these that both scare and thrill me about traveling. If I didn't have to be back I'd have stayed and ridden out the adventure, but SQ first class isn't a bad alternative! I do hope you update later on though, as I imagine this will be an even more interesting TR now!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by agp423
DEN looks as awful as I remember it. The constant packs of people, the most horrible layout ever, ugh.
I've never been there but SFO777's pics from DEN makes the airport look quite nice and in a different league to what I've seen at say LAX or LGA.

I am looking forward to the rest of the report. Both SQ and mess. Going to be very interesting to read...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHG Gold, VS Silver, EK Silver, BA Blue
Sfo777 long time lurker of your trip reports, really enjoy them. My observation that such is the nature of planes and tightly packed flights, sooner or later you are gonna come unstuck.

Hopefully a happy ending on SQ, could be worse could have put you on BA back to London!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Looking for to your TR, SFO777 - they are always a great read^

P.S. I know I asked you before but will you please adopt me?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I've never been there but SFO777's pics from DEN makes the airport look quite nice and in a different league to what I've seen at say LAX or LGA.
The sound art for the trains there can be quite interesting. Takes some getting used to at first:

http://jimgreen.org/artwork/874821_Train_Call.html
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

I am looking forward to the rest of the report. Both SQ and mess. Going to be very interesting to read...
I've never been to LAX. But I'll take LGA over DEN any day, no questions asked. Honestly I'll take DTW's sh airport over DEN any day.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:24 pm

ouch. CX is notorious for equipment MX or in the worse case scenario cancellation.

make sure you CX and get compensation promises in writing and stuff as I've read a few stories about being denied etc.

so maybe 3rd (? or more) luck for BA this time eh
Yup. We are tempting fate and Mrs. SFO has given her blessing for another go around later this year.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Well, before I even start to read your TR, wanted to say as soon as I saw your name knew I would be in for a great story, so wanted to say am now about to read it, and know I will be having a few laughs as well. will comment more when got through the first 3 pages^
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Almost home! After a wonderful 24 hours with Singapore Airlines, SQ2 arrived at SFO just after 9:30PM Pacific time. Global Entry and PreCheck worked great tonight and I was in the Delta concourse of Terminal 1 by 9:50PM. Delta? Really? No, they don't fly SFO-DEN but they offered a cheap last minute fare via... MSP. Naturally. It gets me home before any other nonstop option Friday morning and I don't have to pay for a hotel. After a solid 7 hours of sleep on my HKG-SFO leg, I'm thinking I can survive Delta's Economy Comfort.

OMG, I'd forgotten what fast Wifi was like. Am working on the next chapter but for those that can't wait, here is the entire DFW-LHR flight report from SFO777.com

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Looking forward to this TR with great anticipation! Thanks for doing another TR for us.^
Thank you UA_Flyer!

Originally Posted by flyr16
Sorry about your recent snafu but -- a SFO trip report means all is well with the world. Thanks for posting.
Thanks very much flyr16.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
what a trip and that snafu...
cant wait to hear the rest.
Thanks thetravelingRedhead. Lots of good stories to tell now that I've got internet service. The worst part of the CX cancellation was helpless feeling at MLE from lack of reliable internet service to check options.

Originally Posted by moler
Hopefully you get a smooth ride with SQ from now on. Looking forward to the rest of the TR!
Thanks very moler. SQ was simply great.

Originally Posted by frankmai
Absolutely love your trip reports!! Thanks so much for putting the effort in to share your experiences with us!!
Thanks so much frankmai.

Originally Posted by elleana
My own brush with greatness - I am on the same tiny island as SFO777! Love all the trip reports - vicarous travelling through the airports of the world at its best. Why'd you decline a free night at a 5 star resort on MLE though?
Thank you elleana. I appreciate your comments. I know it sounds strange, turning down what ultimately amounted to two free nights, but no need for me to stick around. Mrs. SFO was 10,000 miles away and I just wanted to get home ASAP. And I have a business trip starting Monday.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Can't wait! It's been a while!
Thanks MAH4546. Now that Mrs. SFO is on the mend, I'll be cranking out some more on a regular basis.

But the rest, especially the part where it's not in DEN looks great. Looking forward to reading more!
Thank you agp423. Before I moved here, I used to think the same. But, I've grown to like it. Once you know all the tricks, it's a pretty simple airport to navigate. The only real negative is the lack of an alternative walkway between the concourses, forcing one to take the train. Oh, and the fact the it is located nearer to Nebraska than some parts of the metro area.

Originally Posted by nemme99
What a mess. It's screw ups like these that both scare and thrill me about traveling. If I didn't have to be back I'd have stayed and ridden out the adventure, but SQ first class isn't a bad alternative! I do hope you update later on though, as I imagine this will be an even more interesting TR now!
nemme99, you are so right about the scare and thrill. After I got over the initial shock, you travel IQ kicks and you plan and plot various strategies and solutions. The best advice I can offer to be proactive and never trust an airline to come up with a solution or make things right by themselves.

Thanks Frederik74.

Originally Posted by Long JB
Sfo777 long time lurker of your trip reports, really enjoy them. My observation that such is the nature of planes and tightly packed flights, sooner or later you are gonna come unstuck.
Hopefully a happy ending on SQ, could be worse could have put you on BA back to London!
Thank you Long JB. At one point in MLE, things looked so bleak that I would have accepted BA.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Looking for to your TR, SFO777 - they are always a great read^ P.S. I know I asked you before but will you please adopt me?
LOL. Thanks Andriyko.

Originally Posted by MrPie
ouch. CX is notorious for equipment MX or in the worse case scenario cancellation. make sure you CX and get compensation promises in writing and stuff as I've read a few stories about being denied etc. so maybe 3rd (? or more) luck for BA this time eh
Yeah, I've read some of those CX stories. I'll fire off my complaint to CX in the next week, and report back.

Originally Posted by BA5E
Well, before I even start to read your TR, wanted to say as soon as I saw your name knew I would be in for a great story, so wanted to say am now about to read it, and know I will be having a few laughs as well. will comment more when got through the first 3 pages^
Thanks so much BA5E.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Enjoying the TR so far, what a pain about the delayed flight but at least you managed to get SQ2 to SIN, look forward to seeing pics of that part of the trip. As shown the seating on AA did not look that brilliant, and bad with just a flimsy curtain to separate it with J, and even on the flight not drawn across to divide the areas.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I think one of the things that makes travel more enjoyable is the ability to adapt with the bumps as they arise - you've definitely gotten some practice with that one.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:26 am

Seriously

I've never been to LAX. But I'll take LGA over DEN any day, no questions asked. Honestly I'll take DTW's sh airport over DEN any day.
You can get Ebola at LGA and DTW, just sayin.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Just when I was looking for something to do this weekend . Thanks SFO777. Can't wait for the rest.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Update: Back home in Denver after a cool but exhausting four days. As for Cathay, our 10:55P Wednesday MLE-HKG finally departed MLE Friday morning, more than 34 hours late. Wow, two full nights at a 5 star beach resort for most of those 250+ pax. That'll cost CX.

Meanwhile, with reliable internet service, I can now start to catch up. Thanks everyone for your patience on this one.

Most quality airlines leave a big buffer space between and the cabin, and use CURTAINS to block the view, light and mute the noise. Not AA, who didn't even think to install curtains.

And quite possibly the thinest, cheapest "curtain" between F and J on an international flight...

AA continues to compete with BA for the smallest and cheapest hot towel in the skies...

Although American offers Dining on Demand, and I was given the option, I decided to have dinner "right after take-off". My bad, as "right after take-off" meant just that... right after take-off. Yikes. One round of drinks and our crew rushed right into dinner. In an attempt to slow the pace, I ate slowly indeed not starting some of the appetizers until other pax had been served their next course. Today's menu. I had pre-ordered the beef.

And the wine list. I've said it before and will say it again, Ken Chase must have something on AA, for I have no idea how he can keep his job with garbage like this. Most of these are $12 wines.

First Class salt and pepper shakers. Seriously??

The mushroom soup was very good.

As I feared, my beef was well done and not very good. I've had better AA beef on mid-cons. Can't imagine how well done it would have been had I waited to eat.

On the other hand, my specialty sundae was excellent.

The vaunted First Class snack counter. Meh.

At least the lav is attractive.

After dinner, I tried out the Wifi, priced at $18 for the flight. Well, you get what you pay for. Connectivity and functionality was next to useless. Even emails took forever to download. And forget about surfing the web. Purser Brian converted my seat to a bed and I slept for a couple of hours.

Middle of the night and light is streaming in from the galley. Why does this airline have to be so stupid sometimes??

Still full from dinner, I passed on breakfast. Great views of London on our approach this morning

We arrived at Heathrow about half an hour early, apparently before the gate folks were ready and it took 15 minutes to hook up the jet bridge,
Pics of the J mini-cabin while waited...

All in all, American's new 77W is a big disappointment. I think the old 772 First Class seats and cabin is a better hard product. American could have done so much more with this plane and cabin. In the end, it's still American and a North American service attitude. You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. Service is too casual and lacking in the detailed training that you see on Asian and Gulf airlines. And the hard product it simply not very good. Who on earth approves and signs off on a First Class cabin without curtains to block light and mute some of the noise? Who designs and approves a First Class cabin with two seats partially in the Business Class cabin and then installs flimsy curtains between the two cabins?

For more pics from this flight, please visit sfo777.com

Coming next: Amazing Qatar Airways First Class and the incredible new DOH Hamad International Airport.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 24, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.