Farewell AA Explorer award via 24,867 miles in F/J/Y on AA, CX, JL, MH, UL, US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite

The Story:

An exciting trip but sad farewell to AA’s OneWorld Explorer award. DFW-LAX-NRT-BKK-KUL-CMB-MLE-CMB-BKK-HKG-SFO-DFW-FLL,MIA-STI-MIA-MSY (JL/CX/AA F, JL/CX/MH J, UL/US Y). This trip is in two parts, Asia in June/July 2014 and the Dominican Republic in November 2014. 2nd half space is being held here for the report conclusion.

The History:

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Thus I will strive to write my first ever trip report by imitating Seat 2A, SFO777, worldtraveler73 and others too many to mention who have kept me fascinated, envious and inspired. I hope this looks more like a counterfeit bill off of a copier vs. one made with construction paper.

Some background on me: Started as a regular IT/techno geek who chose a discipline that would be financially rewarding while not requiring me to write so much. Now I am a sales manager. I was also not a fan of being forced to read, but I do love to read what I choose. But I digress; Numbers came relatively easy to me, as it all made sense. Logical is perfectly termed and also one of my guiding principals. Whereas the written word takes more effort than the spoken word. At least for me. It is a tough balance to find something that is interesting to say, to recall, to describe. As you can tell, this report will take time and effort.

I am more now amazed at those who are able to compose the trip report, while on the trip! The time it takes to compose, crop, and publish feels like black magic of sorts. Thus this trip report is being written on the trip (as much as possible), but will be uploaded once complete.

This trip is a direct result of devaluation (inflation?) of hard earned points / miles in addition with the AA / US Merger. Back in 2011 when AA first filed for Ch.11, I changed my mindset to “earn to burn” vs. hoard. With the uncertain future of the AAdvantage program, changes due to a potential unknown (at the time) mergers, Ms Church of Tee (here out referred to as MsCoT) and I burned miles via DFW-SFO-HKG-SIN-HKG-NRT-DFW-YVR-DFW. This was not a OneWorld Explorer Award but partner awards / stopovers to build a nice trip that spanned about 6 months of the calendar but only about 3 weeks of actual travel time spanning July 2012 - December 2012. The Ch.11 filing began our path of “earn to burn”.

Then in March 2013 Hilton announced the big aspirational property devaluation. With roughly a month to book out in the future at the current rates, we chose to head to the Conrad Maldives. With MsCoT working in education, July 2014 was the date picked for obvious reasons. This gave enough time to “earn to burn”.

The Air Plan:

If you are going to MLE and you live on FT, one must know that a simple flight to MLE is insufficient. Mission tools required: The 1980 office globe (the big one, on the brass hinge), a slide rule, a protractor, and lucky dice. Or so it felt. Via the miracles of bits and bytes, the world of FT, GCMap, JL.com, BA.com, TripIt, and other assorted FT goodies I arrived at LAX-NRT(stop)-BKK(stop)-KUL(stop)-CMB,CMB-BKK-HKG(stop)-SFO-DFW(stop)-FLL,MIA-STI(stop)-MIA-MSY. Due to flight availability and distance, there was a need to use old greenbacks for some tickets. This included DFW-LAX (There is that lack of Hub-Hub advantage tickets again even for EXP like me), CMB-MLE-CMB (booked before UL entered OneWorld, and a cheap RT ticket), and finally the return back to DFW from MSY. All in 230k AA miles/per person while flying 24,867 miles via the Award. Extra miles were paid. I like pictures, so here is a visual:

Now for those to ponder why MSY? It was the closest to DFW we could get on the Explorer Award without going to next mileage tier, I am a NOLA native, and we return from STI on my birthday. What better way to turn 40 than at home, enjoying a great meal and hopefully a football win.

When booking we only had to be in MLE on certain dates (to be explained later), the rest was open. Route planning took place in Nov/Dec 2013. Booking started on Dec 31, and finalized on Jan 4. Since we were not picky on locations, that is how STI gets added in. We were picky that over ocean flights had to be in F, and we were comfortable in regional J for inner Asia travels. We could always use some more CX F in our life, but could we were open to experience some other products.

The Lodging Plan:

Dateline March 2013. With roughly a month to book at current rates, I picked my Hilton dream property the Conrad Maldives. In October a posting on FT showed that the resort would be closed during our scheduled trip. The options: Rebook at a later date (same point structure), cancel and rebook on new point tier (non starter), or change hotels at the obligation of the Conrad. We were offered either the Four Seasons or the Gili Lankanfushi. Upon reading that both included breakfast, but the Gili also had included Wi-Fi, over the water villas, and faster to arrive to via boat instead of seaplane and which is more cost effective, the decision was easy.

For the other cities, we chose a mixing and matching. Now that I am SPG Platinum, we were limited on options in Tokyo. And we do like to explore as locals (as much as posssible), thus we booked an apartment via airbnb. We then chose to do the the same in Bangkok, cheaper than a hotel but also not a good use of valuable SPG points. We took a paid stay at the Westin Kuala Lumpur by prepaying and getting a great rate. While transiting to MLE via CMB, we took another paid stay at the Serendiva transit hotel for a quick 5 hour sleep. In Hong Kong we once again did airbnb, since the stay was short, and the point redemption high (we are planning to use SPG Points --> AS --> EK F next year).

Ground Transportation:

We have planes covered above. We will get to trains, automobiles, tuk tuk, motorcycles, elephants. Dare I say a mini Amazing Race?

Index:

1. DFW - NRT (US Y, JL F Suite)
2. Airbnb apartment one - Bin’s place
3. First timer in Tokyo
4. NRT - BKK (JL J)
5. Airbnb apartment two - 39 Boulevard
6. Overwhelmed in Bangkok
7. BKK - KUL (MH J)
8. The Westin Kuala Lumpur
9. Calm Kuala Lumpur
10. KUL - CMB (MH J)
11. The Serendiva Transit Hotel
12. CMB - MLE (UL Y)
13. The Gili Lankanfushi
14. MLE-CMB
15. 12 hour tour of Sri Lanka
16. CMB-BKK-HKG (CX J)
17. Airbnb apartment three - Jason’s place
18. A quick layover in Hong Kong
19. HKG-SFO-DFW (CX F, AA F)
20. DFW-FLL/MIA-STI (AA F & J) - November '14
21. Airbnb apartment four - November '14
22. STI-MIA-MSY (AA F & J) - November '14
23. Football & Birthday dinner - TBD November '14

Last edited by ChurchofTee; Sep 4, 2014 at 7:47 am Reason: Linking
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:13 am

Can't wait to read!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
DFW - NRT (US Y, JL F Suite)

When I started to research the trip, I found 2 F seats on JL. One month later, the same seats were available. I do not believe in the 'everything happens for a reason', but this was a nice win. Once I read up and learned how challenging this can be on JL, I started the booking process. I could not find DFW - LAX reward tickets, but I saw something to ONT and SNA. Eventually I decided to pay for those and add on more destinations.

When it came time to buying said tickets, it was cheaper on VX, but a much earlier flight. I booked US vs. AA, since it was significantly less expensive. I also figured I would be able to get bags checked straight through to NRT. And also first US flight out to LAX, so lets get ahead of those delays.

Time to leave the house....

I tip my cap to the one bag ninja's on FT (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rag-rules.html), as I carried on for this 20 day trip. You can guess who the big bag belongs

Economy Class
US Airways
DFW-PHX-LAX
US 496 – Coach Class (Y) - Exit Row
Registration - N541UW
8:25 am CST - 9:04 MST DFW - PHX
10:10 MST - 11:40 PST PHX - LAX
June 19, 2014
Booked: Airbus 321
Flown: Airbus 321

Right before the flight it was announced that we EXP could be upgraded on US during check-in, comp. Alas, we did not get upgraded. The check-in list had about 40 names on it. So we had to sit in our lovely coach exit seats. To the pictures.

Check-in at the gate, the US agent told me they could not check bags through. I would have to collect luggage and recheck in LAX. Not a good start to being new best friends. But later on MH was able to check through for UL. Thanks for the effort US!

Not bad leg room if I must be a commoner in Y. For those needing a scale, I am 6'0, and my legs are stretched out in front of me.

Since my digital camera was in the bag, I am taking these with the smart phone at this time.

No food on the flights, I didnt drink anything, thus no images to share.

Thanks US for making me have to endure this experience.

While dragging our bags to the international terminal, we came across a great American experience, the picket line. Lots of police, lots of whistles, lots of anger.

Well, lets say we check -in...

Now thats done, lets hit he the OneWorld Lounge quickly...This will become a trend on this trip, spending too much time in lounges and then running for flights...

First Class
Japan Airlines
LAX - NRT
JL 61 – JL Suite - Seat 1D & 1G
Registration - JA732J
1:20 pm PST - 4:55 pm JST
June 19, 2014
Booked: Boeing 777
Flown: Boeing 777

Now thats better....

Before I eat, I nap to start the jetlag fight.

Then to the washroom, and the flying bidet. We saw a bidet in every country, everywhere, except Hong Kong. I wonder why that is so.

Ok Lets gorge. For those who enjoy details on liquor, I am a non drinker so this might be blah for you.

All in all a great flight on JL. It was a big suite, and very comfortable. I only experienced the warm cabin for a short time, otherwise it was very temperate, almost cold at times. The FAs were great, hanging up clothes, ushering us to change in a timely manner before landing, with great personality. They even asked me how long of a nap so they could wake me. I was quite impressed, dare I say I felt like it was CX treatment?

The food was good but not as deep in choices as CX. The CX Studio crushes the JL inflight entertainment. If you have a chance to fly JL F, do it.

Next up...Time in Tokyo.

Last edited by ChurchofTee; Jul 16, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:39 pm

Wonderful!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Bin's Place

20 days. That is the length of this trip. With 5 days in the Maldives, at a non all inclusive resort. Snacks, travel, gifts, touring, the budget can get bloated like a D.C. budget. Add in Tokyo and Hong Kong, the budget is going to get busted. Corner cutting is required but not to a point of a bad travel experience. Thus the idea of renting on airbnb is born.

Adding in some friends used airbnb on a trip in January to Morocco with a good experience gave us confidence. Looking at hotel cost vs. apartment cost, the decision was easy. Another benefit, it would allow us to live as locals for a bit. To divide booking research, MsCoT was tasked with locating a place in Tokyo. This is how we arrived at Bin's place.

A Quaint place that was a short walk from the subway and plenty of food options. More Details via airbnb. Plenty of hot water, same with cold AC. It was a great size for Tokyo and much bigger than our place in Hong Kong we stayed. Each stop the lodging got bigger until HKG.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:30 pm

Hong Kong's a great place for nearly everything except for space....

space is a premium so thats why you shouldn't expect much unless you're paying alot of $$$.

And yeah, HK doesn't have bidets/electronic toilet thingies like Japan. You won't see them here unless you install them yourself (which can get expensive...)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by faithwins
Can't wait to read!
I cannot wait to share, I hope it is of interest to someone...

Originally Posted by QueenFlyer
Wonderful!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by MrPie
Hong Kong's a great place for nearly everything except for space....

space is a premium so thats why you shouldn't expect much unless you're paying alot of $$$.

And yeah, HK doesn't have bidets/electronic toilet thingies like Japan. You won't see them here unless you install them yourself (which can get expensive...)
I thought Tokyo space would be similar but I was sadly mistaken. I still find it odd that all the other Asian counties had bidets and HK did not. The others did not have the Japanese type, mostly garden hose nozzles next to the toilet.

Thanks for your comment.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

First timer in Tokyo

Why thank you Japan. We feel welcomed.

We made our way to our apartment via the airport limo bus, which dropped us close enough for a short 5 min walk.

We had 3 days / 4 nights in Tokyo. Not near enough time to see it all but enough to enjoy. We also needed to hit the ground running and not get beat by jetlag. We started to jetlag plan earlier by using jetlag rooster. It seemed to help, we stayed awake the vast majority of the flight (except my nap you saw before), took showers at the apartment, and hit the ground running. We also booked a dinner first night to ensure we started off the trip strong. But before then, random Japan thoughts.

Japanese love rules and order, that was our first thought. They are library quiet on trains. They also have a tendency to fall asleep at random times on trains, sitting or standing. And then soon as it is their exit and only once the doors open, they rise and walk off the train. Fascinating people watching here.

Yes a smoking box, while waiting on the airport limo bus. People were going in, no matter how crowded and smoking in there vs. just outside. Concentrated Cancer?

But in other ways...

They have trains for morning rush hour only for women, as men are not always behaving appropriately. I even saw a sign to caution women against up skirt photos. I missed a chance to document that sign.

Maybe you will notice a theme of splurge and then save. Airbnb to save, then 5 star restaurant to splurge. Either way, my credit card is still smoking even after putting it into a block of ice in the freezer. So what was the plan for Tokyo?

A guy I work with got me thinking of eating at Michelin Star restaurants while traveling. Which led us to Ginza Koyju. We sat at a bar with 6 other people (3 couples, including another American couple), while the chef cooked a 8-10 course meal. I lost track of the number of courses. They would cook, serve, then show us a book with pictures of what fish we were eating.

Before, live:

After, cooked - Which was fantastic:

A great eat and experience. I am sorry I did not capture all the courses. They even gave us a back of the house tour, hence the fish tank picture above. This place has set menu and one price. It is very pricey, so be prepared but an amazing experience.

More Tokyo to come in next posting...

Last edited by ChurchofTee; Jul 15, 2014 at 5:27 pm
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

More Tokyo...

I read on SFO777's Cherry Blossom trip that he arranged for a private tour guide. I picked his pocket for this idea, and then went the free route (more $$ for more food I suppose). We used Tokyo Free Guide which sets you up with a volunteer, who will build a custom tour for you. I asked for a tour that had electronics, Tokyo history, and eating 'street' / local foods. Soon before trip, we got email from our guide Kenichi who met us at our apartment and took us around. We were responsible for his travel while with us and lunch. These are pics of us traveling around with Mr. Kenichi.

Always single filed, Kenichi, MsCoT, then me (not shown)

I was excited to see some unique Tokyo electronics that I cannot get in the USA, instead this is what I saw on one rack:

This was probably the let down of the Tokyo tour, as I saw nothing exciting here. So lets just move on....

So our guide took us to a place for ramen, where you order from a vending machine, prints out a ticket, which you give to the chef, who prepares while you find a seat.

Dipped in broth

Down the hatch

Then onto a Buddhist temple, Senso-ji Temple

Where we witnessed a wedding procession

Where we pulled fortunes

Where it is tied to a station

Now let's get off the bad spirits

We then stopped for some cooling refreshments, but were told we could not walk with it...The Japanese normally do not eat while walking, so unsure if this was the reason.

From here we went over to the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which shows the history of Tokyo during the Edo period. There was other parts of the museum showing World War II. The main draw is the miniture model of the city back then. A fascinating walk through to see the history of a fascinating country.

A great day of touring the city, learning the history from a local and getting grounded on Tokyo.

We then booked dinner with a local, Emmy. Someone to go have a meal, talk about culture, and then hit a couple local bars afterwards. Emmy even helped us make the reservations for Kojyu before we arrived. Highly recommended if you so desire that experience. She took us to a place, that had no name on the building. Excellent food but I cannot refer you to it.

From that dinner we went to a small street filled with the tiny bars. This one had room for 5 at the bar, and a small area upstairs.

On Day 2, we just did some sightseeing on our own...Get on train, get off here, walk here, see what we walk into...No plan, no guide...Some of our favorite shots

Japan Abbey Road?

Then to ramen street to eat, more selecting food from a vending machine. I was surprised by the amount of pork eaten in the country. I had a terrible time finding a chicken protein ramen dish. This is located in Tokyo Station.

We also find it fascinating to see how the American fast food places are adapted to the local scene.

Up next, day 3 in Tokyo with a Sushi making class.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Tokyo Day 3

Another of our plans was to do a Sushi cooking class, which might not be that rare but of interest to us. This included a tour of the Fish Market, general history along the way, and sharing of more of life in Japan with a visit to our tour guides home. We did not do the fish auction but went into the market after and met with people that Tomo knew. We purchased our ingredients from the market for the cooking class. Tomo was great and recommended.

In route to the market, we stopped at a Shinto temple. Similar to Buddhist but normally only Japanese heritage people. There does not seem to be a way to convert to Shinto.

Walking, in a figure 8 pattern, for good luck.

Offerings done for the various types of seafood caught.

Used to get the attention of the spirits, shake the ropes, bang the pots.

Off to the market we go...

The size and scope is a sight to behold.

The source of our sushi tuna

Inspectors arrived as we were there..

Dexter's table?

There is even a vegetable market connected to the fish market.

If you decide to eat at a sushi place close to the market, expect a long wait, these folks at the front of the line had been waiting for 4 hours.

The rest of the line, oh my

Instead, lets cook our own..

Our time with Tomo was interesting, fun, and full of knowledge.

After this cooking, we went back to our apartment, took a nap, before we headed out for our last dinner in Tokyo. MsCoT is a foodie and wanted to do some cooking and hence the choice to try some Yakiniku at Black Hole.

Another great meal. Thank you Tokyo, a most excellent time was had. We are sorry our time was so short and we did not get to get to Kyoto or other places, but there is always another time and reason for a earn and burn. Off to Bangkok we go.

Last edited by ChurchofTee; Jul 16, 2014 at 4:47 pm
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
They have trains for morning rush hour only for women, as men are not always behaving appropriately. I even saw a sign to caution women against up skirt photos. I missed a chance to document that sign.
Sometimes it`s better to say nothing.....

What I may say without getting problems: Great trip-report with very interesting pictures
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:11 am

The Mos Burger cruller sandwich looks quite interesting. I searched it and that thing in the middle is apparently a spiral sausage. I would have had to give that one a try!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: FT
actually, one of the places in ramen alley at tokyo station is from Sendai and specializes in beef tongue...very very unique IMO. as unique as tokushima style ramen and the raw eggs they give you on the side...

the new food floor in the daimaru would have had lots of chicken...in fact, probably all the parts of the chicken. we picked up some good skewers of skin, cartalidge and other stuff on our way to the swallows game last month.

nice pictures of japan.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sometimes it`s better to say nothing.....

What I may say without getting problems: Great trip-report with very interesting pictures
Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
The Mos Burger cruller sandwich looks quite interesting. I searched it and that thing in the middle is apparently a spiral sausage. I would have had to give that one a try!
MsCoT took these pics and I did not see till I pulled off her phone / camera. I wonder if I knew, if I would have been so bold?

Originally Posted by mkjr
actually, one of the places in ramen alley at tokyo station is from Sendai and specializes in beef tongue...very very unique IMO. as unique as tokushima style ramen and the raw eggs they give you on the side...

the new food floor in the daimaru would have had lots of chicken...in fact, probably all the parts of the chicken. we picked up some good skewers of skin, cartalidge and other stuff on our way to the swallows game last month.

nice pictures of japan.
I wish I had known this earlier. The language barrier at times was tough and I just had no luck finding a chicken ramen. Your info is valuable as it might force me to do a MR to NRT.

Last edited by ChurchofTee; Jul 17, 2014 at 7:06 pm
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Nrt - bkk (jl j)

It was now time to leave for the next stop on our mini Amazing Race, Bangkok. JL is now flying some international flights from HND, and that is our departure airport. A short taxi ride later, we arrived for check-in.

The fun of the check-in for me is the lounge and what goodies await me behind those exclusive doors. Sorry no pictures of HND airport.

I was surprised at the size of the lounge.

The separate first class area:

Not the same as The Wing but also not the Admirals Club.

Ok Lets fly....

Business Class
Japan Airlines
HND- BKK
JL 31– Seat 3H & 3K
Registration - JA732J
11:30 am JST - 3:40 pm ICT
June 24, 2014
Booked: Boeing 777
Flown: Boeing 777

J Seat, comfortable and spacious

Yes I think I am hungry, lets eat!

The Japanese Menu looks good to me, while MsCoT will have the western menu. We can share and get a taste for both.

Even after this flight, still not a fan of JAL inflight entertainment. The service, food, and seat were solid. Little turbulence for the pilots to fight through, nice smooth sailings. Next up, Bangkok and travels via Boat Bus, Tuk Tuk, motorcycle taxi, Train, and taxi. From clean to dirty, Tokyo to Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.