Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A day trip in Chicago, touring the North Side- (Car/EL/Bike/Scooter - Mini TR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:31 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier

Introduction

As a student at UIC, I have spent nearly 9 months commuting 5-6 days a week from my home in the western suburbs to Chicago. Its hard at times, fun at others (the stories ), but I love the city.

I would get on the Metra in Geneva or Aurora, and spend an hour getting to the Loop before I hopped on a bus or my scooter to UIC.

With classes over, my monthly Metra pass and UPass have expired I used both to explore multiple parts of the city. This trip is more of a research mission for neighborhoods to live in

However, with my dad going to a conference in Rosemont, it was a great time for a day trip.

Because I don't fly much ( I wont for a while until I get a job hopefully, broke college kid problems), I decided to do a TR about the day trip to the city May take an Amtrak trip late this summer, and more day trips so expect more TRs

Tenative Itinerary

Leave house
Arrive at Rosemont Blue Line station
Blue line to Montrose. Transfer to 78 bus
Take 78 bus to Uptown
Bike/Scooter around Uptown, head to Rogers Park
Bike/ScooterRogers Park-> Lincoln Park
Head on the Blue line back to Rosemont
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:32 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Car to Rosemont

At 830 am, we left the house to begin our hour or so drive to Rosemont. Taking the tollway/highway at this time in the morning is somewhat tedious, but luckily traffic was light today.

I saw a Air Choice One Cessna 208 on approach, but couldnt get a shot of it

Blue line!

When we got to Rosemont, clouds were low and it was dreary. I could here arrivals landing on the runways, but couldnt see them . Wait I lied I got one picture of an inbound AA 738.

After purchasing a Ventra day pass for my mother and sister, we hopped on the next CTA train to the loop.

I got off at Rosemont and proceeded to the #78 bus , heading towards Montrose Harbor.

The right bus, just going the wrong way!

The bus!

I didnt have to wait long for a #78 bus to show up. I got on and ventured through Old Irving Park, Albany Park, Lincoln Square and finally made it to Uptown. It was interesting to see these different neighboorhoods , I wont be living in them (except Lincoln Square or Uptown). I got off towards the end, and unfolded my scooter

Old Irving Park area (I think)

My scooter it was well worth the money and fits perfectly there.

Somewhere near Ravenswood/Lincoln Square

I set course for Edgewater on my scooter, using the route below.

Man I have missed doing rides like this! I nearly did 13 miles, and I felt great!

Anyway, the purpose of this trip was to examine Edgewater as a place for me to live, so I took many different pictures.

Northern end of Uptown

My mom called freaking out because the CTA dumped her at Damen, due to a issue with a train in a tunnel. A few taps on the iPhone, and volia I found her a new route.

Southern end of Edgewater (Edgewater Beach to be correct)

Moving through Edgewater

I ended my venture at Rogers Park, right near Loyola, and turned around to go down Sherridan to examine some parks along the lake. The fog started rolling in...

[/url]

I finally ended up at Montrose Harbor, and tried to find the Divvy bike station.

For those of you who dont know, Divvy is Chicago's year old bike sharing program. You pay 7 dollars a day or 75 a year for unlimited rides up to 30 minutes (they charge you afterwards). The bikes are the colors of the Chicago flag, and are heavily used. People I passed by sneered and gave doubt about the success of the program, like really how rude

I parked the bike in Lincoln Park,and hopped a bus to get some food at a placed called Blaze'd Pizza. It is supposedly the Chipotle of pizza, and it was pretty good for the amount of time it took. Like really good suprisingly.

I scootered back to the Divvy station, and got a new bike to head down to Michigan Avenue. I love riding along North Avenue Beach, but man some people are jerks. Almost saw a biker and runner go at it. Seriously people

I left the bike at a Divvy station on Michigan and continued on the scooter. After going into the best buy at the bottom of the John Hancock and purchasing an awesome new otter box , I continued to the Apple store to look at the Macbook Airs. Oh how I wish I could get one... save save save.

It was at that point that my day was pretty much ruined. Work called to cut my shifts. Tired of only working 4 hour weeks. Different story.

Took me a little bit to get over things, but I made my way to the Panera near Millenium Park to meet the family. Met a classmate on the way. and heard about what heppened to my family on the CTA earlier. I later found out that there was a train ahead of hers that had to get evacuated through the tunnel

I ended up taking the bus with my family back up Michigan, finally ending up at some stores.

After under an hour of shopping, we boarded the 146 and made our way to the Washington Blue Line. The ride to Rosemont was crowded and uneventful. I got some shots below.

As I was leaving the Rosemont station, I saw a UAX EJET , UA 747, and CX to HKG

I slept on the way home, tired.

Thanks guys for reading this mini tr! It wasnt a flight, but a day in the city was a good trip to me

Last edited by Mrtrash757; Jun 25, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:33 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Feedback, comments questions are welcome

Last edited by Mrtrash757; Jun 25, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:34 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Also, is there a better image sharing website than Flickr?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:35 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Cool, I´d like to see more unusual trip reports like this. I reckon there's mileage in the idea.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:54 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Cool, I´d like to see more unusual trip reports like this. I reckon there's mileage in the idea.
Thank you!

I totally agree, although I hope to actually start flying a good bit soon!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Good so far! Very interested in seeing parts of the city that I usually don't come across.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:20 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Originally Posted by incognitoMD
Good so far! Very interested in seeing parts of the city that I usually don't come across.
I will have more pictures and TR's in the future, I am hopefully going to move to that part of Chicago (I love it!) !
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat CK 4.0M+; Delta DM; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist
Very nice report of one of my favorite cities!

Any other interesting food along the way besides the pizza?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:48 am
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Originally Posted by introspection
Very nice report of one of my favorite cities!

Any other interesting food along the way besides the pizza?
Sadly not on this trip. Next time I go I want to try some more local places, kinda bummed I didn't get to go to some this time.

I have my favorite haunts near UIC, where I go to school, but I am trying to slowly hit places North and West, as I spend more time there than near the usual tourist haunts.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Very nice and interesting report! Who said we should only see first class reports here? I hope to see many more of this kind on FT!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.13 MM, IC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Very surprising to see the North Side neighborhoods where I grew up around here on FT!

Nice pic of the Popeye's and DD right next to one another, looks like you were on Broadway there Make sure to stop by the Andersonville area next time around!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:27 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Platinum Cub
Very surprising to see the North Side neighborhoods where I grew up around here on FT!

Nice pic of the Popeye's and DD right next to one another, looks like you were on Broadway there Make sure to stop by the Andersonville area next time around!
I love that area. I had never been up there until I did a report on Uptown for a class. After doing research I found it to be a cool area, and each time I am in the city I try to make my way up there to explore. I am actually looking to move into the Andersonville/Uptown/Edgewater area. Having more luck with Edgewater, especially for places that take a dog but Its a year out (for me to move), right now I more exploring and trying to get a sense of what these places are like.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Cool trip report! While I now fly all over the world for work and leisure (and enjoy travelling as much as ever), my enthusiasm for travel started just like yours - using transit and my own two feet to explore my home cities and regions. We will undoubtedly be reading some great plane-centric trip reports of yours in the future.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:40 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btbx11
Cool trip report! While I now fly all over the world for work and leisure (and enjoy travelling as much as ever), my enthusiasm for travel started just like yours - using transit and my own two feet to explore my home cities and regions. We will undoubtedly be reading some great plane-centric trip reports of yours in the future.
I really hope so! I am trying my hardest to save and get a job so I can travel to Latin America (my first trip I hope )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.