Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Why did you tip the United Club attendants?
Old May 6, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Thanks for this. Sometimes we miss the little stuff every day, but your positive attitude on everything is refreshing. Good to see someone get excited even with the old planes with tube TVs. Nice report. Looking forward to your next one.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I thought this was such a cute report--I can't think of another word. I honestly appreciated it so much because it reminded me of when I first started flying United 10 years ago (before I became a jaded MMer! ).

Thanks for being positive and I am glad you had a nice series of flights. ^
Old May 6, 2014, 7:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Very enjoyable and very thorough Trip Report, I'm glad you shared it ^
Old May 6, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Great trip report! A most enjoyable read. Just one minor quibble: in the description of your ORD approach, if you were flying over Lake Erie, then you were headed for the wrong airport! I think you meant Lake Michigan, no?
Old May 7, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I'm sorry, but are you trying to land a job with United? Your excessive praise for UA makes me doubt your trip report. For instance, the breakfast you described as "delicious" has been consistently hated even by UA's top flyers up to a point that they mock it, i.e., calling it the "Jeff McMuffin" breakfast sandwich and anyone who has flown UA often would know that the airline hasn't served good fresh fruits in years. As for the glassware, UA's domestic F glasses are taller but not nearly as wide or elegant as AA/US, DL, and VX's. Further, what major airline doesn't serve a meal on a flight with a length equivalent to FLL - ORD? As far as I know, DL even serves meals on shorter flights such as ATL - JFK or AA on shorter flights such as DFW - DEN.

For $675, you could have gotten way more value for your money on other airlines. Some examples: AA MIA - JFK on 762/763 aircraft (762 has lots of room ~62 inches in F and the 763 has lie-flat seats) for under $400 one-way discounted first class fare or VX between FLL - SFO (sometimes as low as $159 one-way and you can upgrade to First Class for $299) with a 55-inch seat pitch and a leg rest, plus Virgin America's award-winning inflight service.

Last edited by fly747first; May 7, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old May 8, 2014, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Comments are very much appreciated and welcomed.

---

[url=http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/products/premieraccess/default.aspx]
---

Routing for this 15-hour cross-country adventure.

United Airlines First Class with the 757-200s of PMUA FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

---
FOREWORD
---

United Airlines is certainly a controversial corporation in today's post deregulation aviation industry. CO supporters loathe the new airline and their employment practices, while UA lovers lament the loss of the Saul Bass tulip and Jeff Smisek. Just last week, United announced $600,000,000 USD of losses in the first fiscal quarter of 2014, with the shareholders leaving the stock call with less than tarnished feelings.

Love it or hate it, this trip report will document my journey on the pre-merger United 757-200s.

Why? The three 752s in this report are from the pre-merger United Airlines, as in, 757s delivered to United and painted in Tulip livery before the arrival of the omnipresent golden globe. I can't seem to find the original post, but someone mentioned here on ANET that the "May 3rd FLL-ORD 752 is a one-off event". From what I can tell, they are soon to be retired from service, replaced by Airbii or 739s. These old girls have no IFE, but they do have channel 9. Looking at the United fleet page on Google, it seems I was right: some of the domestic 752s are marked for complete retiration and are going to be sent to Victorville to be scrapped.
This route, FLL-ORD-FLL, ranges from around $600 in First during the slow winter months and up to $1,500 in July. When searching for flights I was initially trying to get a routing involving a lie-flat internationally configured BusinessFirst 757 with a splash of some Silver Airways S340s mixed in. To do that I would have to go to Newark, connecting through Orlando.

Since I did a lot of hard work trying to find out which routes the BusinessFirst 752s run on, I shall share it here so it won't go to waste:

EWR-MCO
EWR-ORD
EWR-DEN
DEN-EWR
MCO-EWR
ORD-EWR ( also operates on a three class international 763 occasionally)
EWR-IAH
IAH-EWR
ORD-IAH
IAH-ORD (this flight is also served by a frequent 787)

The routing would be FLL-MCO-EWR-MCO-FLL, with two Saab 340s, a 739, and a BusinessFirst 752. But the cost was $1,200 which wasn't so bad, but I figured I could get a better deal for my money. My reasoning behind this is that there is routings with one-time pricing that doesn't occur very common, if at all. Looking at the fare calender for FLL-ORD, May 3rd was listed "$715 USD, one stop" What stop, I asked? Turns out it was IAD.

A week later I looked at the prices again and the routing for FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL in United First Class had dropped to $675. Right then I decided to buy it, as we all know by now, UAs' domestic 752s are only disappearing from service and that price was waaay too good to pass up. The BusinessFirst 757/Saab 340 combination looked attractive, but I can do that pretty much every day of the week.

Every now and again United offers me an sweet deal. Here we get one more flight in first for $11 USD!

Picking my seats for FLL-ORD after checkout.

Along with this flight is the fact that I'm trying to bridge my Delta/SkyTeam alignment with a Star Alliance frequent flier program. I hope to reach United Silver by the end of the year, and in order to do that I need to get 23 more active segments on Star Alliance flights and/or 25,000 MileagePlus revenue miles. I'm hoping that I can do several more Intrafloridian flights on Silver Airways and maybe a few legs on United First, which grants a bonus of 150% miles and 1.5 active flight segments. What does everyone think the preferable option would be? (I was pretty disappointed to find out US Airways had switched to the OneWorld Alliance earlier this week. That Envoy report may or May not happen to that end....)

Now, for the report!
Old May 8, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first
I'm sorry, but are you trying to land a job with United? Your excessive praise for UA makes me doubt your trip report. For instance, the breakfast you described as "delicious" has been consistently hated even by UA's top flyers up to a point that they mock it, i.e., calling it the "Jeff McMuffin" breakfast sandwich and anyone who has flown UA often would know that the airline hasn't served good fresh fruits in years. As for the glassware, UA's domestic F glasses are taller but not nearly as wide or elegant as AA/US, DL, and VX's. Further, what major airline doesn't serve a meal on a flight with a length equivalent to FLL - ORD? As far as I know, DL even serves meals on shorter flights such as ATL - JFK or AA on shorter flights such as DFW - DEN.

For $675, you could have gotten way more value for your money on other airlines. Some examples: AA MIA - JFK on 762/763 aircraft (762 has lots of room ~62 inches in F and the 763 has lie-flat seats) for under $400 one-way discounted first class fare or VX between FLL - SFO (sometimes as low as $159 one-way and you can upgrade to First Class for $299) with a 55-inch seat pitch and a leg rest, plus Virgin America's award-winning inflight service.
Exactly what is there to "doubt" about the trip report? I didn't realize that it's now against FT's terms of service to enjoy United's breakfast offering. Also, if your post is serious, then you have severely missed the point of the OP's report. Based on the evidence from this and previous reports from this particular poster, it is likely that he is a high school or college student living at home, not a jetsetting retiree, business traveler, or FT regular with the time or even the ability to churn cards or take multiple major trips per year. He has posted numerous other reports of day-trips, where he samples such mundane-to-most-FT'ers products like FL (AirTran) "business class," Delta short-haul F, etc. He finds the good in all of them, unlike many jaded FT'ers might. This poster is very clearly not a frequent flyer of longhaul premium products on top airlines, but he has a passion for airlines and airplanes and engages it within his means. I applaud and appreciate that, and it is a shame that others here have passed such harsh judgment--and for what? Because the OP refreshingly doesn't fit the mold of the typical cynical FT'er?

Just because the OP does not share your opinion--even a majority of posters' opinions--does not mean that his opinion is invalid.

To the OP: keep doing what you're doing! Most of us greatly appreciate your hard work and refreshingly positive perspective.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
I'm sorry, but are you trying to land a job with United?
Nope, I love my current job and it is not with any airline.

Your excessive praise for UA makes me doubt your trip report.
Doubt till the cows come home, what was reported here is exactly what happened on that day.

For instance, the breakfast you described as "delicious" has been consistently hated even by UA's top flyers up to a point that they mock it, i.e., calling it the "Jeff McMuffin" breakfast sandwich
It was quite tasty, because I didn't have unrealistic 10-star-service expectations. Anyone electing world class food on a segment like FLL-ORD is only fooling themselves.

[qoute]and anyone who has flown UA often would know that the airline hasn't served good fresh fruits in years.[/quote]

I haven't flown on United in years.

As for the glassware, UA's domestic F glasses are taller but not nearly as wide or elegant as AA/US, DL, and VX's.
I didn't plan to measure the exact milliliters...

[qoute]Further, what major airline doesn't serve a meal on a flight with a length equivalent to FLL - ORD? As far as I know, DL even serves meals on shorter flights such as ATL - JFK or AA on shorter flights such as DFW - DEN.[/quote]

I was just excited to get a meal, and atleast I didn't rip the airline to shreds. How degrading.

MIA is a $100 cab fare from my house and gas is probably more. The purpose of the trip was to ride on United.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by zcat18
Exactly what is there to "doubt" about the trip report? I didn't realize that it's now against FT's terms of service to enjoy United's breakfast offering. Also, if your post is serious, then you have severely missed the point of the OP's report. Based on the evidence from this and previous reports from this particular poster, it is likely that he is a high school or college student living at home, not a jetsetting retiree, business traveler, or FT regular with the time or even the ability to churn cards or take multiple major trips per year. He has posted numerous other reports of day-trips, where he samples such mundane-to-most-FT'ers products like FL (AirTran) "business class," Delta short-haul F, etc. He finds the good in all of them, unlike many jaded FT'ers might. This poster is very clearly not a frequent flyer of longhaul premium products on top airlines, but he has a passion for airlines and airplanes and engages it within his means. I applaud and appreciate that, and it is a shame that others here have passed such harsh judgment--and for what? Because the OP refreshingly doesn't fit the mold of the typical cynical FT'er?

Just because the OP does not share your opinion--even a majority of posters' opinions--does not mean that his opinion is invalid.

To the OP: keep doing what you're doing! Most of us greatly appreciate your hard work and refreshingly positive perspective.
Thank you, and also thanks to all the other commentators who left nice comments.

Yes, I'm an 18-year-old high school student who loves the airlines and trip reporting. The money for my flights comes from a $8/hour job at McDonald's, which explains why I found all the references to McDonalds quite humorous. I'm trying to gather all the domestic F products in America, next up is US Airways F (nice treat as one segment was upgraded to a 332) and AA IntraFlorida First Class. After that I'm aiming for Alaskan First, Virgin America First, and Sun Country First.

Thanks again,

-LPDAL
Old May 8, 2014, 9:12 am

Great trip report, I really enjoyed it. Your enthusiasm was really apparent, and that's great. I've loved the 757 since the early days when there were reports of their wingtip vortices sinking ships in San Francisco Bay.

Keep flying, and keep posting.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:29 am

I enjoyed reading your trip report. Brings back memories of some of my early travel experiences.

If you don't want to leave North America, you really should fly Cathay's JFK-YVR flight in F. That will give you some new perspective . MIA-JFK-YVR isn't a terrible use of AA miles.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Really bad form by you to say all this. I remember being 17, paying $50 to upgrade DFW-STL on AA and thinking service was equal to or greater than anything CX could have offered. We all get jaded as we get older, why rush along the OP's process? It's also his money and he has the right to do with what he wishes when it comes to his travel. Also, as the trip is now over, telling him what he could have spent it on that is in your opinion better is pointless unless he has a time machine we don't know about.

The OP took his time to write a comprehensive, thorough report. He posted a lot of pictures, injected enthusiasm and gave a well rounded report. We should be praising him and maybe offering some constructive criticism of "maybe next time you could think of..." rather than insulting him.

Originally Posted by zcat18

Well said. And I will agree, OP, keep doing what you're doing. You're young with your whole life ahead of you, that's the time to day trip and enjoy every second of it.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:44 pm

I remember my first ride up front. DFW-DCA in an AA 738, surrounded by bored, grumpy businessmen who probably do the trip 100 times a year. At the time, it had to have been better than anything from CX, SQ, or LH because it was new and exciting to me! Ignore the negativity and have fun with it! Before you know it, it will all be old news to you and you'll be one of these cranks on FT complaining about the folding of napkins in international F or whatever .
Old May 8, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Don't listen to him, glad you had a good experience up front on UA! I sadly have not flown in first yet on any airline (Economy plus is the highest i've gone) but I hope to one day. I also fly on day trips to catch a certain aircraft type or airline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.