Wiki Posts
Search

Another go on BA1, the Banker Shuttle between London City and JFK

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Another go on BA1, the Banker Shuttle between London City and JFK

Preface:

During my last epic trip (click link for report) to the Great Country of USA, while running around Nordstrom in Bellevue Square of Seattle, shopping for Mrs Petrus and the kids, we decided over the phone that it was time for a trip together on our own to NYC early next year (2014).

We had still not managed to fly F together without the little ones and the plan was to use a 2-4-1 voucher and go ARN-LHR-JFK-LHR-ARN in CE/F/F/CE, stay at a great NYC hotel, shop like crazy, eat like there is no tomorrow and make lots of sweet moments together. Cultural, of course.
An early March weekend was pinned down as suitable, being able to arrange for the in-laws to look after our first and second offspring. As February began, still no seats available. We flexed days around the designated weekend. No luck. Then about 4 weeks out availability appeared online for all sectors, bar one seat on one sector. Asked revman to open the missing seat, the answer took time. There was an ex-SWE sale also. Club ARN-LHR-JFK return 1400GBP all in. CWLCY service included.

The problem: sale ended Sunday, and it was Sunday and still no reply from revman. Revenue it is then, with BA1 on the outbound. Why not? 70 extra Tier Points, more avios and with a chance to try CWLCY again just over four years since the previous and only occasion. That experience was good, but the service was still suffering from some teething issues as it was only a few months since launch. Report of this trip here: Petrus rides the BAby
Other than that, the trip 4 years ago was a wonderful journey together with Mrs Petrus and my gift to her for her 30th birthday. I was genuinely happy to do it with her again

Also, due to the re-timing of BA1 certain days you can make a perfect connection from ARN, with arrival at LCY 09:00 and departure to JFK 09:50. For the return we opted to fly via LHR and on the upper deck of the 747, which is still my favourite cabin of all. Will be a sad sad day when they are all retired. Next trip this year has to be in F with Mrs Petrus in the nose of a BA747.

Please note all photos are taken with an Iphone 5, so there won't be any crystal clear and crisp D800E snaps for the fans of my other reports. Sorry to disappoint but I could not be bothered to carry the monster kit for this trip.

Lufthansa New First on the 748i - October 2013
BA Dreamliner CW/WT+ x3 in 4 days - August 2013
London Olympics with BA - August 2012
BA 777-300 G-STBF Delivery from Everett - February 2012
Boys trip to NYC in New BA First - October 2011
BA F to DXB with an infant - February 2011
Caught in the snow; BA F + CW - December 2010
BA F Binge trip to Cape Town - July 2010
BA all business class Airbus 318 to JFK - December 2009
My First BA First to JFK - July 2009

On with the report then:

The journey started at the ungodly hour of 05:45 as the ARN-LCY service departed at 07:30. A quick shower, pack the final necessities, await arrival of in-laws. Mom stays at the house, dad drives us to Arlanda, which is a 14 minute drive at this time of the morning. Both of us had the buzzy feeling in the stomach, super excited about this trip. It would be our first long-haul trip together on our own since nearly 4 years when we travelled to NYC and Mustique.

BA use Terminal 2 at ARN these days.This is a fairly new Terminal which also had major rebuilding and refurbishment made a year or so. BA, AY and AB are the main OW carriers in this terminal, which they share together with some Scary Team riff raff. Qatar use the main international terminal 5.
Even with up to 8 daily BA flights and probably 10 AY flights there is no dedicated One World lounge.

Approaching ARN T2

We got to check-in 50 minutes before departure and got our three half empty suitcases tagged all the way to JFK. Security was a breeze as there is a fast track lane allowing you to jump the entire line before using the same X-ray machines. A pair of Sennheisser in-ear's were procured before heading up to the 3rd party Menzies lounge ad a coffee. Breakfast would be had on board the BA Cityflyer Embraer 170. Full English? Check. Champagne? Check.

The Lounge was calm, coffee drinkable
[/URL]

Boarding lit up on the screens so we made our way to Passport control which is on the same, second, level as the Menzies lounge. It was quick and our departure gate next after Passport control.

Today's chariot to London City

We got a friendly and warm hello by the male Purser on this flight. This is usually a good thing, meaning they are on the ball and in the mood for providing great service. The hunch was right. Superb he was. Always addressing by name and title, making sure glasses where full.

We had claimed row 1 early on for a quick exit in case delays should occur, plus I like to stretch my legs.

Breakfast was out quickly, service friendly. Not the best Full English we've had on BA, but edible and filling.

Champagne, yes, please. More? Sure...

Flight was pleasant, both of us nodded in and out of sleep. Approach and landing to LCY is steep which freaked out Mrs Petrus a bit. I just enjoyed the ride Parking was done and stairs connected. There are no bridges at LCY.

We disembarked just before 09:00 am so a little stress was present. We headed through the corridors and then through immigration (empty) before heading up the stairs through security.

BA CWLCY check-in desks (nostalgia)

Up to security

It was a bit busy at Security and there is no Fast Track at LCY (?!) however we made it through in about 6 minutes, just enough time to buy some Champagne for the hotel fridge. Mrs Petrus then had to go the ladies room which one does not contest. Now time was tight and we did not stroll as leisurely as would be befitting people of our stature and importance. And, it would likely mean no time for another glass at the Gate Lounge. The gate for the LCYJFK service is dedicated and as such serve two purposes; departure gate and lounge.

A not so leisurely photo of the BA A318...

Yeah, boarding!

In the next part we fly to Shannon, drink more Champagne, meet a fantastic crew, get some bad news and what not... stay tuned.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Nice one Petrus - always good to see different aspects to the flights I have taken as well. Looking forward to your shopping trips in NYC!
Old May 1, 2014, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Great start to the report, and the photos are good if not crystal clear!
Old May 1, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Great stuff. More please!
Old May 1, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191
Great start to the report, and the photos are good if not crystal clear!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by billinghamn
Nice one Petrus - always good to see different aspects to the flights I have taken as well. Looking forward to your shopping trips in NYC!
Cool, I hope to not disappoint
Old May 1, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Somebody is in NY and didn't let me know?

So now you flip through Vogue I see, is it to find shoe stores?
Old May 1, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great story so far...is that Mrs Petrus walking ahead of you? I ask before any further commentary!
Old May 1, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Nice report so far. Indeed there is no contesting one's wife's lavatorial requirements, even if the result is a hurried stroll to the plane!
Old May 1, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Great story so far...is that Mrs Petrus walking ahead of you? I ask before any further commentary!
You mean the tall slim blonde in black? Yeah, she's the one.

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Somebody is in NY and didn't let me know?

So now you flip through Vogue I see, is it to find shoe stores?
Not me, duh.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Exciting start.... Looking forward to the rest Petrus ^
Old May 1, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Great start! Looking forward to the rest.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Love the Baby Bus!!! Great work so far Petrus
Old May 1, 2014, 2:33 pm

ive had a few chuckles already !
Old May 1, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Petrus
You mean the tall slim blonde in black? Yeah, she's the one.

Not me, duh.
So she is walking ahead of you, without any carry ons, that means YOU were holding them, not bad, taking pictures while carrying Vogue (for her..uhhmmm uhhhmmm ), not bad Petrus.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Entering the lounge downstairs we noticed people had indeed began boarding. It did not look as if the lounge had been too busy, and judging from those ahead of us walking toward the plane it appeared to be mostly leisure travellers. What crisis?

Walking to the plane

Greeted by super friendly crew as we boarded. Seats were 4AB (originally 3AB, but changed after recommendation that row 3 has a missing window).

The view from row 4.

Crew secured the cabin before taxi and we concluded load was light with 17 out of 32 seats occupied, with only 3 people behind row 4. Did I mention that the crew were terrific?

Taxi

Mr (Sir?) 4K was in flat bed mode as we entered the airplane, and remained so for the entire flight, except for the Shannon shuffle and landing at JFK. Hence, for the first time in our lives we took off in a more horizontal than vertical angle while in our seats. It felt jolly good actually

Lovely view towards Canary Wharf and The City further back.

Take-off was just as fun and steep like we remembered from last time. After the initial aggressive climb our captain introduced himself and shortly after the bong was heard and Champagne was back in business. This was one of those moments when I counted my lucky stars; in a bed, on an air plane, racing towards the sky with an adorable woman next to me (who for reasons beyond my comprehension decided to marry me) sipping Champagne. Sure, I would miss the kids, but not right now.

During the one hour or so flight to Shannon the appetizer is served. For those who still might not know and wonder why we are flying to Ireland here's the explanation; The runway at London City is too short for the A318 to carry enough fuel within margins (winds, diversion and hold fuel etc.) to reach JFK. So they land the plane at SNN for a quick refuel. You lose time, but in addition to this all passengers clear US immigration at SNN as there is a pre-clearance facility. Arriving JFK as a domestic passenger. Fantastic.

I think we managed to flutes of bubbles before the choppy approach down to SNN. Mrs Petrus did not approve of the landing. "Normal" was my comment. Not the landing, her reaction

Every day I'm Shuffling:

After clearing US Immigration, a SNN handling agent approached us to inform that our suitcases had not made it on to the BA1 flight from London City. Ok no big deal they will be sent with a later flight today? Yes was the answer.
Once we had finished shuffling (total time from leaving the plane to doors closing was around 35 minutes) amenity kits where handed out. BA now offer male and female kits. The bag thing is not my style and looks a bit cheap, but they are useful as can be used for shoes. Contents are some Elemis Spa lotions and other bits and bobs.

Food service began soon after. Meal order was taken during the first leg. A starter salad to begin (we already had the real appetizer).

I had opted for the fish. It was tastier than the photo, but nothing special.

Being a little hungry still I tried the snack Pasta. It was ok, tasty.

Finally time for some digestifs. Blended, JW Black Label I believe.

Service was spectacular throughout meal service, and I had to decline more alcoholic drinks as I wanted to be somewhat sharp in the evening as we had a chefs table at Yasuda in Manhattan (drooooooool).
All passengers who wish get an Ipad pre-loaded with movies, series and others programmes. ISTR it is a first gen Ipad, hence not the best picture quality. I gave Smaug a go but this was a mistake. Dozed in and out before finally waking up with Smaug finished and feeling peckish.

Soon time for Afternoon Tea, good timing I guess.

Afternoon Tea was surprisingly good actually. The coffee essential and so another bottle of water to keep hydrated.
Final part of the flight, JFK arrivals and NYC in the next part.
trolleymusic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.