Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Summer getaway...in Hawaii at the Four Seasons Hualalai

Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs

We are planning a Flyertalk Do June 1st, Flyertalk rate of $395, and I wanted to share a trip report from our most recent stay.

We've have been very fortunate to stay in private Four Seasons villas with pools in Bali, Suites in Paris at the George V, and visited more than one Aman but nothing compares to our experience at the Four Seasons Hualalai. From the moment you are greeted with an aloha and a lei, optional mai tai or fresh chilled juice, and enter the lobby looking out at the Beach Tree Pool and ocean beyond, you know you are checking in to paradise.

The service is warm, experienced, and welcoming from the moment you arrive. The staff really care about making you comfortable and introducing you to their beautiful island resort. As you ride to your room (600 sq ft. minimum) they might have time to tell you some of the highlights of the resort including, snorkeling at King's Pond stocked with over 3,000 beautiful reef fish and an eagle ray, the ukulele classes, lei making classes, computers to use, Hawaiian language classes, basket weaving, guided nature tours, tennis courts, and fitness walk by the ocean (highly recommend) all free amenities. Every evening there will be a print out of the next days activities waiting for you by your bed, every day a new adventure or another opportunity to relax.

The rooms are very comfortable, decorated in tasteful Hawaiian decor. We've stayed in every cresent now and like each one for different reasons. All rooms at the hotel are beautiful and almost all have a view of the ocean. Even the slightly less expensive golf view rooms have beautiful views of the water. As with many Four Seasons you can request the type of pillow you want, hypoallergenic blankets and sheets, even aromatherapy.

There are four crescents which hug the ocean and I will describe each in the hope it makes it easier for you to request the one you'd like to stay in.

The Palm Grove: This is the crescent with the adults only infinity pool, with a swim up bar. I don't drink alcohol but I love the fresh fruit and juice drinks here as well as the addition of an herb garden for fresh ground mint. The service here is solicitous of your every need. And, when the difficulty of drinking so many chilled drinks becomes too much you can sink into the hot Jacuzzi seamlessly connected to the infinity pool. This is also the crescent closest to the Residents beach restaurant which is open to all hotel guests.

The Beach Tree: This crescent has the largest longest pool which is surrounded by shaded cabanas (free of charge). I really like the sapphire blue bottom of this pool and its wide wooden deck. This is a quite pool but it is open to both children and adults. Its extremely relaxing. They have a wide selection of magazines, newspapers, even books to choose from. From this crescent you are closest to the Beach Tree restaurant and the live music in the evenings.

The Seashell Pool: This free form infinity pool is perfect for families with many thatched private cabanas (free). It blends with the ocean and has a waterfall edge. There is also a small waterfall inside the pool which lands on your muscles in just the right spot and a lounging area, in the water, which is shaded and perfect for reading. The hot tub here is also shaded and large. It is the perfect spot from which to watch the kids. There is another small separate shallow sanded pool for the very small kids to enjoy. This is the perfect spot for the very small children. They will setup playpens and shade, and have swim diapers, sunscreen, abundant toys, anything you can imagine and more for you to enjoy your time here.

Kings Pond: The Kings Pond crescent has recently been renovated to include new and even more beautiful tropical fish. The eagle ray, a beautiful female, can still be fed once a day. They have all of the snorkeling gear and foot wear for you to borrow, all complimentary, and can be taken off property. At night the pond is lit for beautiful torches. This area has many private spots to hide away with your spouse when you just want to spend time together.

The impressive spa area has another very calm and quiet lap pool. I've seen more than one Olympic medalist swim here. And, if you like celebrity sighting this resort is for you. Even though this is a very calm and private resort, not a be seen type flashy place, we've seen everyone here.

Thoughtful touches abound. During our most recent stay I was awake due to the time difference and I didn't want to wake my partner. I thought, I wish they had a night light by the bed and when I opened the drawer I found just what I wanted. This intuative planning on the part of the hotel management is experienced throughout the resort from the perfectly timed smoothie tastings by the pool (both adult and child friendly versions), guide to the 3,000 tropical fish in King's pond, to the sample of a macadamia nut body scrub they gave me from the amazing spa.

Tips: If you like the idea of an outdoor shower (we thought it was fun!), request a lower floor room.

If you would like a special main dish or dessert you don't see on the menu order it a few days in advance as a surprise for the person you are traveling with.

Take a kayak out into the ocean during the gentle morning waves and
end your evening by going up to the bar at Ulu for a chat with Doug, the peerless bar tender, and to watch the illuminated waves wash upon the shore, and to listen to live music.

Kona coffee is the best and amongst the most expensive in the world and they serve it here. There are at least three complimentary coffee stations around the resort in the mornings. The lobby lounge offering has mini muffins if you arrive early. The other two locations are by the breakfast area near Pahuia and near the gym. My favorite coffee locations are the espresso drinks served at Ulu in the morning (they make their own chocolate ganache) and the coffee shop by the tennis courts. Do visit the gift shop for good local gifts and food stuffs.

This resort is continually improving and breaking new grounds in luxurious comfort under the exceptional guidance of General Manager, Robert Whitfield. I'd also like to thank Beth who cares for and lead Hualalai's peerless athletic team, Jason, a fantastic front desk Manager, Carlos-the best massage therapist (and I've had many good massages but he is the best), Rita who keeps me afloat with her smile and aloha, and Angela Kenyon, the new exceptional Italian chef of the Beachtree Grill. Congratulations on this promotion, I know the restaurant will become even better!

If anyone has any questions or would like to attend the Flyertalk Do June 1st or another one we will do in Dec. shoot me a PM or reply here.

Aloha!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.