Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Live Trip Report: MAN-LHR-HEL

Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: billinghamn
My trip from MAN-LHR-HEL and back that I took with billinghamv in Apr 2014. Quick links to individual flights are listed below to help navigation:

Intro
18 Apr MAN-LHR
18 Apr LHR-HEL
19 Apr HEL Sightseeing
20 Apr HEL-LHR
20 Apr LHR-MAN
Print Wikipost

Live Trip Report: MAN-LHR-HEL

Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Summary of our flight from HEL-LHR:

Last night we had starters in the Exec lounge which were very good – pork satay skewers, breaded spicy chicken things and samosas. We also had a couple of glasses of red wine which was also pretty good. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant – Gui, and although as others have said, it was expensive (23 Euros for a cheeseburger and fries) it was very good quality, and unsurprisingly on an Easter Saturday it was almost empty. Hit the sack not long after updating my blog and checking for updates on FT.

Woke way too early this morning - we both did. Air con was too hot, so we both tried in vein to encourage the unintuitive air con control panel to do what we wanted it to. Brain was then whirring, thinking about the possibility of Liverpool winning the league for the first time in 24 years after both Man City and Chelsea slipping up in the past few days. We play Norwich later today.

It wasn’t long before we were heading down the lift, checking out and then on our way to T2 departures. We had checked in online and printed the BPs out in the Exec lounge, so we were ready to go. I said to billinghamv try going through Fast Track and see whether they turn you away, but she bottled out when BA was clearly not one of the airlines listed as those being allowed to use the express lane.

The normal security lane didn’t take long – probably only 5 mins and we were on our way. We headed down towards gate 36 and before the ramp signed gates 32-40, we stopped off at the @home lounge. From what I had read on line, it wasn’t that clear which lounge was the better one: the @home lounge or the Finnair lounge.

After being very unimpressed with the @home lounge where there was very little food and drink on offer, and it’s very small, we decided to head all the way to gate 36 and see whether the Finnair lounge was any better. It clearly was. The food and drink isn’t that much enhanced but the whole area is bigger, brighter and with a much nicer view out on to the apron.

With 30 mins to go we headed down to gate 38 and within 5 mins we were invited to board in priority order. By this time billinghamv had already had a fight with vending machine that was supposed to supply bottles of water. Even after swiping her credit card a few times, no bottles of water were presented! Will need to check that no charges were made.

Boarding was speedy and just as we got on I asked one of the CC for some water for billinghamv. As soon as the majority of pax were on board her glass of water arrived, (and was downed very quickly!) - she was then provided a second glass. Billinghamv asked whether the CC had any bottles of water and was politely told that water was provided by the glass. However a few mins later, a bottle was provided out of the CC’s own supply – apparently she always has two bottles for every flight but was happy to give up one of them – a BA recommendation is being submitted for her.

The breakfast service started very quickly after take off. It was the standard cooked breakfast, but it has improved over the past few months (it seems to me anyway). The scrambled egg was nice and fluffy although later I realised it had an odd taste and billinghamv thought it was too salty, The sausage and potatoes were very good but the bacon was relatively hard and over cooked.

After serving breakfast we got the “good customer” chat from the CSM which again was very much appreciated. She made a point of asking us when we were heading back to Manchester, so she had looked up a few details about where we were going. I wonder whether I’ll get this every time I fly now?

We landed about 15 mins early at 08:35 and we were off onto our bus by 08:50. We had a separate bus for CE pax and we were at T3 within 5 mins. We had to wait for a flight connections bus to T5 due to the number of pax waiting, but we were through the Fast Lane security at T5 within 30 mins or so of landing, which is pretty impressive.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I was looking at the fast track security thing recently. According to the oneworld website HEL is one of the airports where OWEs are entitled to use the fast track security. So even thought BA don't pay for it for SCHs and GCHs, it seems as a GCH you would be allowed to use it.

I didn't know this last time so didn't try, but will try and see what happens next time I am there in May.

See the link here http://www.oneworld.com/fast-track
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I was looking at the fast track security thing recently. According to the oneworld website HEL is one of the airports where OWEs are entitled to use the fast track security. So even thought BA don't pay for it for SCHs and GCHs, it seems as a GCH you would be allowed to use it.

I didn't know this last time so didn't try, but will try and see what happens next time I am there in May.

See the link here http://www.oneworld.com/fast-track
I think others have already posted comments about this - if you enter HEL in the "select an airport" on the url you posted, it only shows Finnair as the carrier that is allowed to use that fast track facility. Hence people have been turned away. However I am always up for attempting to push the rules a bit, so I fully support you pushing your way into the fast track queue and seeing what the queue dragon says!!! Just tell us how you get on!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Summary of our flight from LHR-MAN:

After picking up a Starbucks we finally arrived at the CCR and we received a warm welcome from the Lounge Guardian. We were straight on to the terrace where we received immediate attention from a server and we ordered breakfast no. 2. It turned out that breakfast no. 2 was much better than the first!

To be honest the service was so good I thought I might need to take out an injunction against the servers etc so we could enjoy our second breakfast... Seriously though, very impressed so far. We enjoyed the leisurely wait on the terrace and finally headed down to gate A9 for our short hop back to MAN.

The final flight of our trip got off to a delayed start due to 3 passengers deciding not to fly and their luggage needing to be offloads. Apparently one of the pax had left something at their hotel, so their change in plans had a small impact on us. Never mind - these things happen, and since there were no connections going to be impacted we were chilled about it.

Dozed through most of the flight - we must have taken off about 20 mins later than planned, but we were only in the air about 25 mins (or so it seemed), so we had touched down not far off when we should have.

Disembarking was speedy but came to an abrupt halt when no one opened up one of the doors to allow us to get into the baggage reclaim area. Finally through we were quickly back to the T3 Meet & Greet to pick up the car and within 30 mins we were back at home.

Whilst I was driving Vick was checking on the Norwich vas Liverpool score. I was too nervous to check, or hear anything, so billinghamv had clear instructions not to say anything. Anyway by the time we got home, there was about 5 mins to go and billinghamv was keen to get the TV on, so I knew it couldn't have been bad news. Watched the final few nervy minutes before the boys hung on and go 5 points clear at the top. Get in!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I think others have already posted comments about this - if you enter HEL in the "select an airport" on the url you posted, it only shows Finnair as the carrier that is allowed to use that fast track facility. Hence people have been turned away. However I am always up for attempting to push the rules a bit, so I fully support you pushing your way into the fast track queue and seeing what the queue dragon says!!! Just tell us how you get on!
Thanks, I will print off the relevant pages and take them along. I am prepared to have am argument about it with them - be prepared to see news stories of a disruptive passenger being arrested at HEL in a few weeks time

If I don't get anywhere with HEL I will get in contact with oneworld to see why they are stating it is available to OWEs when HEL say no.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks, I will print off the relevant pages and take them along. I am prepared to have am argument about it with them - be prepared to see news stories of a disruptive passenger being arrested at HEL in a few weeks time

If I don't get anywhere with HEL I will get in contact with oneworld to see why they are stating it is available to OWEs when HEL say no.
I love to see someone going into a battle sounding like a true fighter. Hope you are successful, and then I can use the Fast Track when I need it in Nov when I head back to HNL.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Re HEL security fast track. I have not heard the bit about fast track for OWEs, I can enquire next time I'm there. Should you be on a codeshare ticket operated by AY, whether in J or Y, you will be entitled to use security fast track.

If not, there's a second security queue in the older section of the building with a *much* shorter queue.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Re HEL security fast track. I have not heard the bit about fast track for OWEs, I can enquire next time I'm there. Should you be on a codeshare ticket operated by AY, whether in J or Y, you will be entitled to use security fast track.

If not, there's a second security queue in the older section of the building with a *much* shorter queue.
Where's the second security queue? I'm not sure I really saw an older section? As we walked into the check in area from outside, I noticed there was a sign to Departure Gates at the very far left of the building, but there was also another sign pointing to the right, so we headed to the right.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Where's the second security queue? I'm not sure I really saw an older section? As we walked into the check in area from outside, I noticed there was a sign to Departure Gates at the very far left of the building, but there was also another sign pointing to the right, so we headed to the right.
Instead of going towards the security, turn left, pass the kiosk and enter the original terminal with wooden floors and a rather low ceiling. This is where TK/DY/JL etc check-in stands are located. Continue to the end of the corridor and there you'll have the second security.

When heading to the non-Schengen section you'll also save a massive amount of time as the second security is a lot closer to passport control.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Its at the hotel end of the building, you would have walked past it twice, once as you walked from the hotel to the main terminal and then airside as you walked from security to gate 30 something.

Generally helsinki security moves pretty fast. Often on a monday morning there are long queues, but they move at a fair rate.

I dont think anyone gets down the fast track line unless you have AY on your boarding card. No chance with a BA flight number.

The main finnair lounge (2nd one you visited) seems to be better later in the day. Certainly in the evenings I have had a good selection of hot food. I think it is focused on the asian long haul flights. However, it does get busy late afternoon as you get the evening peak for european flights, including people transfering from the inbound asian flights.

I think they are building another lounge somewhere nearby?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:59 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
The main checkin area at HEL T2 was built between the domestic terminal now T1 and the old Terminal (approx. gates 26 -30). So if you turn left after entering the building from the bus stops you pass a shop and cafe and arrive at the Flybe and charter checkin desks. These are in the old terminal. Beyond them is another security area, this is seldom busy unless a charter is leaving. It brings you out near passport control and saves you having to negotiate the narrow corridor caused by the shops in the old terminal.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Instead of going towards the security, turn left, pass the kiosk and enter the original terminal with wooden floors and a rather low ceiling. This is where TK/DY/JL etc check-in stands are located. Continue to the end of the corridor and there you'll have the second security.

When heading to the non-Schengen section you'll also save a massive amount of time as the second security is a lot closer to passport control.
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
Its at the hotel end of the building, you would have walked past it twice, once as you walked from the hotel to the main terminal and then airside as you walked from security to gate 30 something.
Originally Posted by db7
The main checkin area at HEL T2 was built between the domestic terminal now T1 and the old Terminal (approx. gates 26 -30). So if you turn left after entering the building from the bus stops you pass a shop and cafe and arrive at the Flybe and charter checkin desks. These are in the old terminal. Beyond them is another security area, this is seldom busy unless a charter is leaving. It brings you out near passport control and saves you having to negotiate the narrow corridor caused by the shops in the old terminal.
I know where you mean now - that would have been a lot quicker I have to say! Worth knowing for the next time. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 26, 2014 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:07 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
The Aspire Lounge and now the AY lounges have free spirits, though the gate 36 lounge they are behind the bar and have to be requested (Premier brands are chargeable). It will be intresting to see what is on offer when the new Emerald lounge opens.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by PeasantGate
I think I visited the @home lounge last year and was so shocked at having to pay for a G&T I left and went shopping (I bought some smoked elk and Finnish caviar to try).

I guessed they restrict alcohol as folk from those parts are worse than us lot when it comes to having a drink. I remember watching the locals buy huge quantities of vodka (I think) in duty free. The whole place was filled with the sound of clinking bottles and made me laugh.
Yes, seems a bit much to be expected to pay for a basic spirit in an airline lounge. I can understand if they dont want to leave bottles for help yourself, but charging is a bit much.

I guess the bar service in the Finnair lounge is quite similar to what you get in many lounges in the US e.g. AA giving out vouchers when you arrive in their lounge.

You are right about the way the locals can drink, but I think the price might be the biggest factor in restricting access. Spirits are not cheap here.
(not sure these days if the UK has the moral high ground on excessive alcohol consumption although perhaps the Nordics still shade it )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.