Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hungary Man. Spring Break in Budapest with the return in British Airways First Class

Hungary Man. Spring Break in Budapest with the return in British Airways First Class

Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes I love collecting those too. Great trip report ^
Glad someone else understands Thank you.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
This is a nice trip report, particularly on the part about Budapest. It makes me want to go and visit. Thanks for posting it!

In GF (the BA F Lounge), the clotted cream is in the cooler next to the cold meats, on the other side of the drink (milk?) dispenser from the scones. If there is none left, ask for more The scones are good and you can pair them with as many finger sandwiches as you like.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
A great TR. I haven't been to Budapest since 2000 and reading and seeing this TR makes me want to go back there - I'd forgotten what an attractive and interesting city it is. My favourite museum in Budapest is one I don't think you covered: the Museum of Hungarian Trade and Tourism. This is a unique look at Hungarian gastronomy and trade. When I visited, the docent was an elderly lady who spoke only Hungarian and German. While my Hungarian isn't all that crash hot (16 diacriticals and digraphs is far too many for one language), my German was up to scratch to discuss the history of catering in Hungary. A true gem of a museum visit.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flatlander
This is a nice trip report, particularly on the part about Budapest. It makes me want to go and visit. Thanks for posting it!

In GF (the BA F Lounge), the clotted cream is in the cooler next to the cold meats, on the other side of the drink (milk?) dispenser from the scones. If there is none left, ask for more The scones are good and you can pair them with as many finger sandwiches as you like.
You're welcome and thank you for the information, I guess it should have occurred to me that clotted cream would be in a refrigerator!

Originally Posted by Chalkie
A great TR. I haven't been to Budapest since 2000 and reading and seeing this TR makes me want to go back there - I'd forgotten what an attractive and interesting city it is. My favourite museum in Budapest is one I don't think you covered: the Museum of Hungarian Trade and Tourism. This is a unique look at Hungarian gastronomy and trade. When I visited, the docent was an elderly lady who spoke only Hungarian and German. While my Hungarian isn't all that crash hot (16 diacriticals and digraphs is far too many for one language), my German was up to scratch to discuss the history of catering in Hungary. A true gem of a museum visit.
Thank you very much. I definitely didn't have that museum on my radar and it's one I'll have to visit next time I'm there. I feel the first time you see a city you hit the usual places, but the second time you should be looking for those "unique look" places like the one you mentioned so I'm glad you suggested it.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoyed reading this report very much. Very nice photography in BUD!

Since we are sharing anecdotes about our favourite lines, this---
Originally Posted by CMK10
Wow, both good choices. Think I’ll go with number two this time.
left me giggling.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
A bit late to the party, but I just wanted to say "thank you" for a fantastic trip report. I appreciate your humour, the quip about making the cabin crew in BA First repeat "tom-MAH-to" made me laugh out very loudly. I tend to do the same stateside. Childish it may be, but always makes me smile.

Based on your report Budapest is going right near the top of my future destination list, it looks like a great city and, regretfully, one I have tended to pass by when planning European trips. One for next summer I think.

BA First looked like a good gig, though you have not sold AA to me!

Hope the exams went well.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaximusDecimusMeridius
A bit late to the party, but I just wanted to say "thank you" for a fantastic trip report. I appreciate your humour, the quip about making the cabin crew in BA First repeat "tom-MAH-to" made me laugh out very loudly. I tend to do the same stateside. Childish it may be, but always makes me smile.

Based on your report Budapest is going right near the top of my future destination list, it looks like a great city and, regretfully, one I have tended to pass by when planning European trips. One for next summer I think.

BA First looked like a good gig, though you have not sold AA to me!

Hope the exams went well.
Hey you're never too late, thank you for bumping the report and your kind words. No worries on not selling AA to you, I think it's the best of the bunch in the US but that's hardly saying anything.

Exams actually went well, I was quite happy with my class rank, thank you for asking.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Cool report and nice pix! Especially of the synagogue.
I've never stepped foot in one, but it's certainly on my to do list.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Thank you for posting a very excellent TR!

Budapest is probably the most underrated destination in Europe. I loved my trip there a few years back.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Great TR! My husband and I were in Budapest a few years ago while he was on a break from his Peace Corps service in Georgia. Amazing city, and you've captured it perfectly.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Cool report and nice pix! Especially of the synagogue.
I've never stepped foot in one, but it's certainly on my to do list.
Thank you! This is certainly the gold standard of synagogues though, most are not nearly this ornate.

Originally Posted by greg5
Thank you for posting a very excellent TR!

Budapest is probably the most underrated destination in Europe. I loved my trip there a few years back.
Thank you! It's definitely a great spot, one of those cities you're just happy to be in.

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Great TR! My husband and I were in Budapest a few years ago while he was on a break from his Peace Corps service in Georgia. Amazing city, and you've captured it perfectly.
Thank you very much, glad you liked the city as much as I did.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Really enjoyed reading your TR, good sir! Awesome job with the pics, I must say; especially those from BUD. I have yet to visit Budapest, and hope it happens soon **insert a decent J fare** Lol.... P.S. Wanted to quote a couple of pictures, but was having a hard time deciding which I liked best! They were all really good!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:35 am

Do you have a note how much did you spent (hotels, flight tickets)? I live in Budapest and as I see where have you been, it wasn't a backpack tour
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Really enjoyed reading your TR, good sir! Awesome job with the pics, I must say; especially those from BUD. I have yet to visit Budapest, and hope it happens soon **insert a decent J fare** Lol.... P.S. Wanted to quote a couple of pictures, but was having a hard time deciding which I liked best! They were all really good!
Thank you! I really appreciate that and I recommend that as soon as you find a good fare to BUD, you jump on it!

Originally Posted by tOcikA
Do you have a note how much did you spent (hotels, flight tickets)? I live in Budapest and as I see where have you been, it wasn't a backpack tour
A good question, let's see what I can remember:

- Outbound Flights: 25,000 United Miles ~$5 taxes and fees
- Inbound Flights: 62,500 American Miles ~$400 taxes and fees (Fuel Surcharge)
- BUD Hotel: 88,000 Hilton Points
- IAD Hotel: $80 (reduced to $35 due to customer service issues)
- Food/Transport/Activities: Approximately $300 including airport meals on Monday and Friday. I also came in under budget based on this.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thank you! I really appreciate that and I recommend that as soon as you find a good fare to BUD, you jump on it!
Thanks CMK10! I will try and visit BUD very soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.