Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hungary Man. Spring Break in Budapest with the return in British Airways First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hungary Man. Spring Break in Budapest with the return in British Airways First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Great TR, you best hope SFO777 doesn't catch you saying nice things about BA!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avm2806
Great TR! Glad you had a good BA F crew - as a seasoned BA F traveller, I can tell you they can be really mixed nowadays, ranging from excellent to downright rude and aloof - but when they are good, they are great.
I was very fortunate to have two good crews in a row. My last trip on them I've alluded to a few times was one great, two terrible crews so I was afraid of something like that again. But you're right, when they're good they're great

Originally Posted by Joely
Great TR, you best hope SFO777 doesn't catch you saying nice things about BA!
Shh, let's keep this report from him! It's funny, I mentioned I was going to fly BA F in another thread and he already went off on how I was going to have a bad experience
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:35 pm

Nice report

BTW, I don't know if you are aware but the M1 subway was the first subway in the world, that is why so small and shallow

The second one was built in Boston.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:43 pm

Wow, I'm exhausted from trying to post my own little trip report with three or four pictures and can't imagine how long it took you to do this report. Thanks so much for taking the time.

Just a few comments:
1) I didn't think MGD was beer and laughed when you made the same comment
2) your comment about the bathroom being too sterile....isn't that a really good thing?

Thanks again for sharing your trip and all the hard work it took to do the TR.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by farbster
Wow, I'm exhausted from trying to post my own little trip report with three or four pictures and can't imagine how long it took you to do this report. Thanks so much for taking the time.

Just a few comments:
1) I didn't think MGD was beer and laughed when you made the same comment
2) your comment about the bathroom being too sterile....isn't that a really good thing?

Thanks again for sharing your trip and all the hard work it took to do the TR.
This did take some time, probably 5-6 hours across several days, but it means a lot to me and the fact that people appreciate it is worth it! As to the sterile comment, you make a good point, I just meant in reference to the blinding lighting, white walls etc. No warmth, no heart, just functional. Silly I guess.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
First of all, WOW CMK10, very insightful, detailed Trip Report
Your photos look very good as well.

So Many points to cover
1) Your College Desk is cleaner than mine ever was lol
2) I agree that the $400 BA YQ is a bit heavy, but hey, if you do it once a year, better make it enjoyable
3) Interesting Routing on the Eastbound, RDU-PIT-EWR-DUS-BUD, very surprised how a route like RDU - PIT that still exists
4) Very Memorable Photos of the RDU, PIT and EWR Terminal A since I've done MRs through all 3 airport, talk about the Good, the Average and the Horrible when it comes to US Airports
5) Thanks for showing that AA/US Cross-Fleet Page on the US Magazine, very interesting
6) Very Sad to BUD so empty, maybe because I was last there one week before MA died
7) SFO777 has super bad luck on BA F, but if you ask me.
BA F needs to be flown on the 772/77W or the 388, the 744 just crams too many seats there and destroys the experience.
I did 2 times on 772, 1 Old F, 1 New F, and I found it alot more open and enjoyable than the BA 744 TRs.
8) As one of the guy who is very Premium Gate Lice and loves Cabin Photos, brings me Joys and Smile to finally see the 319 photos

Will need to see if you will get nominated and get a chance to win the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rt-2013-a.html for 2014.
You probably would keep the BA crowd happy since a Bad review written by SFO777 won the 2013 Award
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
BA F needs to be flown on the 772/77W or the 388, the 744 just crams too many seats there and destroys the experience.
I did 2 times on 772, 1 Old F, 1 New F, and I found it alot more open and enjoyable than the BA 744 TRs.
Indeed he does seem to have bad luck but I have heard that first on the triples is a better bet. I've only flown NF once and that was on a 773 and it was excellent. I have no. 2 booked in September on 774s to/from JFK but am madly trying to find availability to swap onto one of the 772/3 flights instead.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Good. No, GREAT TR!

Just enough commentary to know what was going on. Nice personal comments.

I'll give it a 10.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:29 pm

Well that's 30 minutes of my life very well spent.

Thanks for a great trip report - I loved the great photos accompanied with good-humored commentary. I'm flying BA F in September, so really loved seeing the CCR and F experience especially. Bring it on!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:46 pm

After looking at the pictures I now want to return to Budapeshshsht.

I was there in 1972 and it was really "depressing."

I really enjoyed your report.

I thought F awards were at least 100,000 one way. 50,000 is not too bad for F.

The BA C meals on short hops to Geneva and Luxembourg are sub par.

Just lettuce and a few shrimps; or salmon.

And I agree your comment about the cheap desert. Awful.

And for breakfast in Y to Luxembourg we got a: cream cheese croissant with tomato paste and bacon; including all the fat. I took out the bacon but still felt sick an hour later.

A simple croissant would have been excellent instead of serving crap.

Last edited by Bretteee; Mar 22, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
First of all, WOW CMK10, very insightful, detailed Trip Report
Your photos look very good as well.

So Many points to cover
1) Your College Desk is cleaner than mine ever was lol

Haha well this is a law school desk, much different!

2) I agree that the $400 BA YQ is a bit heavy, but hey, if you do it once a year, better make it enjoyable

Agreed, and it's certainly cheaper than paying for the route which I certainly can't afford to do

3) Interesting Routing on the Eastbound, RDU-PIT-EWR-DUS-BUD, very surprised how a route like RDU - PIT that still exists

[B]I originally had RDU-EWR but I watched it every day until space on this became available. The things I do for FlightMemory!

4) Very Memorable Photos of the RDU, PIT and EWR Terminal A since I've done MRs through all 3 airport, talk about the Good, the Average and the Horrible when it comes to US Airports

Well said

5) Thanks for showing that AA/US Cross-Fleet Page on the US Magazine, very interesting

You're welcome! Sadly the combined airport maps were terrible so I skipped them

6) Very Sad to BUD so empty, maybe because I was last there one week before MA died

It really is sad, I wonder if they're the largest country without a real "national" airline now

Haha everyone's talking about him and he hasn't shown up yet! I may email him the report so he can come weigh in

8) As one of the guy who is very Premium Gate Lice and loves Cabin Photos, brings me Joys and Smile to finally see the 319 photos

You're welcome here too

Will need to see if you will get nominated and get a chance to win the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rt-2013-a.html for 2014.
You probably would keep the BA crowd happy since a Bad review written by SFO777 won the 2013 Award

Now THAT would be an honor
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Good. No, GREAT TR!

Just enough commentary to know what was going on. Nice personal comments.

I'll give it a 10.
Thank you very much, coming from you that means a lot

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Well that's 30 minutes of my life very well spent.

Thanks for a great trip report - I loved the great photos accompanied with good-humored commentary. I'm flying BA F in September, so really loved seeing the CCR and F experience especially. Bring it on!
I'm glad I got you excited, if you have any questions I didn't cover feel free to PM me

Originally Posted by Bretteee
After looking at the pictures I now want to return to Budapeshshsht.

I was there in 1972 and it was really "depressing."

I really enjoyed your report.

I thought F awards were at least 100,000 one way. 50,000 is not too bad for F.

The BA C meals on short hops to Geneva and Luxembourg are sub par.

Just lettuce and a few shrimps; or salmon.

And I agree your comment about the cheap desert. Awful.

And for breakfast in Y to Luxembourg we got a: cream cheese croissant with tomato paste and bacon; including all the fat. I took out the bacon but still felt sick an hour later.

A simple croissant would have been excellent instead of serving crap.
I'd read that Budapest was awful during the Cold War, it's definitely worth coming back to. Glad you liked the report too!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I wish i'd gone to Budapest a few years earlier, I thought it felt quite Western European and it was hard to find bits that felt Eastern Block-ish.

I've now posted my TR of Vienna and the rather more Eastern Blocky Bratislava.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
(wish I always earned a dollar a minute)
And that, my good man, is why you are in law school.

A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Wow, what a whopper of a TR. Did you end up trying all of the champagnes?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puls
Wow, what a whopper of a TR. Did you end up trying all of the champagnes?
Haha no. I've found that I end up regretting it if I fly TOO drunk so I had two glasses of whatever champagne I ended up with, then one scotch, then a glass of wine and a glass of Port and I called it a flight alcohol wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.