Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Antarctica, Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Rio de Janeiro (TK/CA-J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Antarctica, Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Rio de Janeiro (TK/CA-J)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Buenos Aires

We had spent a day and a half in Buenos Aires. Some of the places that we visited were San Telmo, Puerto Madero, Plaza de Mayo, Congress, Obelisk, Recoletta cemetery and Boca.

Street of San Telmo

Puerto Madero

The next day we encountered the ketchup or bird poo on shirt scam. We had walked about 1 block from our hotel and there was one person that was walking behind us and there was another person around the corner. The person behind us had squirted some black liquid onto our shirts and the person around the corner came over and started yelling “bird, bird.” Since we already heard about this scam, we quickly walked away. The following picture is the aftermath.

The aftermath of the bird poo scam

Plaza de Mayo

Congress

Obelisk

Cemeterio de la Recoleta

La Boca
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Colonia del Sacramento

We decided to take a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. A quick tip, it was cheaper booking as a tour including lunch instead of buying the tickets individually. Also, when I bought the tickets with burquebus, they said that we had to pay with our credit card and was charged in ARP with the unfavorable rate. But actually, I believe you can still pay with cash. There is an hour difference between Argentina and Uruguay since Uruguay experiences day light savings while Argentina doesn’t. Also, what is interesting is that you clear Argentinan and Uruguay customs when you depart the ferry. Colonia del Sacramento is a very small town and the best way to travel around is on foot.

Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
awesome trip report!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
stunning views of Antarctica
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Iguazu Falls

We visited both sides of the falls. The falls are absolutely majestic. The Argentinean side provides an up close and personal feeling while the Brazilian side provides a more overview of the falls. It is absolutely majestic.

Garanta del Diablo

Argentinean side of Iguazu Falls

Brazilian side of Iguaçu Falls
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

JJ3186 igu-gig

There is an airport on at Foz de Iguacu. If you don’t have too much luggage, you can take the bus from the city centre. However, we had quite a lot of luggage so we decided to take a taxi.

At check-in, there was only one person in front of us so there was hardly any wait. As I had already checked-in online, it was pretty much only a baggage drop. The agent only spoke Portuguese to us so there was hardly any interaction. All the bags were tagged and check-in was completed in less than 5 min.

We went through security and I had a bottle of water in my bag. They didn't say anything. I also had my tablet in my bag and I didn't have to take it out. It was only a small airport but it seems like all the flights arrived and left around the same time. Hence, there was quite a lot of people around 12pm and boarding started all around the same time. It was a little bit chaotic. Priority was called along with family with young children/ and disabilities. For this airport, there isn't even bus service so we just walked on the tarmac towards the plane.

TAM plane (This one was headed to GRU)

Upon boarding the flight, there was an attendant that was standing at the galley but there was no greeting and didn’t check the boarding passes. When most of the passengers had settled down and before take-off, candies were handed out. About 30 min after take-off, a snack service was served. I thought that the snacks were better than the ones served on LAN.

Candy and Magazines

Snack box

Codeshare with United and AA?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:43 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Awesome report thanks for sharing.

What is this animal?

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:04 am

Very interesting TR. Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Awesome report thanks for sharing.

What is this animal?

It's a Coati, they're everywhere around the falls. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: DELTA MM
WOW! Awesome TR....GREAT Pictures
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:39 am

Wow! Amazing Report. Thanks for taking us to Antarctica.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:05 pm

Excellent - I'm toying with doing this exact trip this coming winter.

For Antarctica - did you buy your own cold-weather clothing, or did you just use the Quark-provided gear? Did you find it was warm enough?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Excellent - I'm toying with doing this exact trip this coming winter.

For Antarctica - did you buy your own cold-weather clothing, or did you just use the Quark-provided gear? Did you find it was warm enough?
For the time we were there, the weather was really fair (no winds and sunny). So it really didn't feel that cold and the coat that Quark provided was more than enough. Also for most of the landings, there would be some short hikes so during the hikes, I would be taking off my layers. The coat itself is HEAVY but it is really an excellent windbreaker. I would say just bring some warm base layers and with jacket, you should be warm enough.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Rio de Janeiro

I only had about a day in Rio de Janeiro. So I only went to the sugar loaf and Christ the Redeemer. Some tips that I found to be useful:
1. Buy your tickets to Corcovado online. Otherwise, you could be waiting in line for over 6hrs.
2. Since there isn’t really any direct public transport to the sugar loaf or the Corcovado, so just take a taxi as it is not that much more if you have 2 or more people
3. For us, the wait up to the Sugar Loaf was about 1.5hrs. Also, since it was summer time, the last cable car was not at 17:50 but closer to 20:30.

View of Rio from the Sugar Loaf

View from the Sugar Loaf

View from Corcovado

Christ of the Redeemer
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

G3 1709 sdu-gru

It seems like check-in had to be done by the self check-in terminals. However, since I had already done online check-in so I just used the terminals to print out my boarding pass. The bag drop was quite slow. It was clear that they were checking the weight of the luggage as it was printed on the baggage tag.

Furo Robot in the departure hall

Security was relaxed and liquids were even allowed. Also, you could register for the free wifi. It seemed fast enough but I didn't try to stream videos. Boarding was only announced in Portuguese and was by groups. However, no one was following the boarding groups.

This flight was pretty much just a budget airlines flight where only water is offered. It is in between airlines like Ryanair or AirAsia and Southwest. This was pretty much a scenic flight.

Menu and Magazine

View of Rio de Janeiro during takeoff

View of the Sugar Loaf

Landing at GRU

My next flight – At least I know that my flight won’t be delayed due to aircraft late arrival

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.