Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Japan Airlines JAL Sky Suite 777 First NRT-JFK

Japan Airlines JAL Sky Suite 777 First NRT-JFK

Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Excellent report, thank you for the time and effort it takes.
I agree about the wifi, i cannot work out why most (actually not sure if any dont) charge first passengers for it - it seems rather cheap not to comp it when it is compared to the ticket price.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Great report, wonderful food photos. Thank you for sharing!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
Nice Pics & report!!!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:12 am

Excellent report and thanks much! Great pictures!

Call me crazy, but I really miss the Jetsons-like F class seats from the 2000s. The green-foam ones with the orange table and cream leather. Just adored them. These newer "suites" are cosmetically different from the last generation (grey-coloured) seats, but otherwise seem pretty much the same.

Their food looks nice. The bland tableware is another step down from the previous style, which had nice geometric designs, I think.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
We don't see many reports of JAL F here, this trip report was excellent! Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Excellent report.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Thanks for the report on JL F. I totally have to agree with you that JL F is a worthy competitor for CX F to Asia. I flew them in January NRT-LAX and loved it so much that I have them booked for my January trip back from Singapore.

SFO and BKK also have passenger loading on different levels from the main concourse level.

Eric
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:05 pm

Beautiful report and exactly what I wanted to read!

I have this exact same NRT-JFK flight booked for January 2015. I've never flown CX F before, and have two JFK-HKG segments coming up this year and went for JL F for a little variety. Looks like I won't regret that choice!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
So, we headed down the escalator and came across…what was apparently the REAL JAL first/business lounge.
I made exactly the same mistake when I first went to NRT. I don't think it's a lack of signage I think it is just a very confusing setup!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for an interesting report. I notice the western menu is the same as the one I had last April from NRT-LHR.

I am doing this same flight in a little over 4 weeks. I wonder if I will end up having the same choices as I did a year ago.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC
SFO and BKK also have passenger loading on different levels from the main concourse level.
Good to know, as I'll be heading to both of those in the next year!

Originally Posted by tng11
I have this exact same NRT-JFK flight booked for January 2015. I've never flown CX F before, and have two JFK-HKG segments coming up this year and went for JL F for a little variety. Looks like I won't regret that choice!
I went into this flight having heard the virtues of CX sung for years and with two CX F flights under my belt in the previous 2 weeks. I'd seen very little data on JL and didn't know what to expect. It was the wild card, and it really impressed me!

Originally Posted by Joely
I made exactly the same mistake when I first went to NRT. I don't think it's a lack of signage I think it is just a very confusing setup!
The funny thing, though, is that the 4F lounge is in my opinion better. So it was a good mistake. Next time we fly out of NRT, we'll be hanging out there, save perhaps for heading to CX for some ice cream.

Originally Posted by Moomba
Thanks for an interesting report. I notice the western menu is the same as the one I had last April from NRT-LHR.

I am doing this same flight in a little over 4 weeks. I wonder if I will end up having the same choices as I did a year ago.
You know, in the body of my report I was actually going to mention that I'd noticed that it was the same menu you'd seen. But then I remembered that your flight was NRT-LHR, and of course mine was NRT-JFK, so I figured it might be simply coincidence, and given the few data points on the JL F product I wrote it off as such. However, one option could be that they cater all ex-NRT flights with this menu. They do advertise that the menus are created by specific chefs that they name, so of course this means there's probably a finite number of menus. That said, I can't believe that a major airline would really be that limited. Guess we'll see when you fly in 4 weeks. Hopefully by the time I fly NRT-ORD in early 2015 they'll have switched it up a bit!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Moomba

You will probably get same menu. This is the spring menu till May 2014 (http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...403_201405.pdf)

Originally Posted by arlflyer
You know, in the body of my report I was actually going to mention that I'd noticed that it was the same menu you'd seen. But then I remembered that your flight was NRT-LHR, and of course mine was NRT-JFK, so I figured it might be simply coincidence, and given the few data points on the JL F product I wrote it off as such. However, one option could be that they cater all ex-NRT flights with this menu. They do advertise that the menus are created by specific chefs that they name, so of course this means there's probably a finite number of menus. That said, I can't believe that a major airline would really be that limited. Guess we'll see when you fly in 4 weeks. Hopefully by the time I fly NRT-ORD in early 2015 they'll have switched it up a bit!
Yes, all ex-NRT F to the US and Europe have the same menu. Different one for CGK because that's medium-haul.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:08 pm

Great trip report. I flew nrt/ord in mid January. I do agree that JAL service is very good. The menu I had in January was as good as you would get in a top flight restauarant. The entrée I had was beef rosini, which is a filet topped with foie grae servied with a black truffle sauce. It was incredible

I have flown CX f several times in the last 5 0r 6 years and I have to say JL has inproved theie product (hard & soft) tremendously.

I am flying CX F in mid april so I will see how it goes.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:27 pm

If I am reading your report correctly though, was the cabin temperature set very high? If so, that wouldn't be the first time I've read that about JL.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
If I am reading your report correctly though, was the cabin temperature set very high? If so, that wouldn't be the first time I've read that about JL.
Yes, that was my perception. It was warmer than I preferred, at least for the first bit. It probably would have been too warm for me to sleep well if I had tried. That said, I generally like the ambient temperature to be colder than most people do, so YMMV. The other pax seemed to be quite soundly asleep!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.