Go Back   > >

Old Feb 11, 14, 9:03 pm   #1
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, US CP, SPG Gold
Air France Premium Economy CDG-IAD 77W

Hello,

Trip Report on a flight with AF in Premium Economy on a B777-300ER from a few months ago. Several service improvements had recently been introduced, to better differentiate Premium Economy from Economy.

Full Trip Report with Pics here:
http://flight-report.com/en/report-6146.html

DartagnanHSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 14, 7:11 am   #2

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold
Thanks for your nice report.

Strange that AF serves the apperitive champagne from a plastic cup while the wine is served from a real glass...

Last edited by teme; Feb 13, 14 at 12:41 am
teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 14, 9:50 am   #3

Programs: OW Emerald
Thanks for the report. I quite like AF's Prem Econ product. Colors/design look good (better than CX/BA's Prem Econ colors at least) and the domestic F sized seat width/pitch makes for a good pond crossing mid-haul flight.

The pleasant seat and good quality main meal reminds me of my AF J Affairs DTW-CDG-DTW flight two years ago.

As a wider/taller guy, I really like the extra width of the PE seats vs simply increasing the pitch for DL/UA/AA's Econ Plus offerings. And the extra elite qualifying miles bonus for buying PE helps a little bit too!
dchen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 14, 11:17 am   #4

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Kimpton IC, AA Plat, National Exec
Nice report. Beats Delta and United premium economy out of hte water!
xcalibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 14, 12:47 pm   #5

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Nice report! Thanks for sharing
themapelligroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 14, 3:09 pm   #6

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Pretty nice trip, good pics, cheers man
flyerhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 14, 3:22 pm   #7

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT, TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Nice report. Merci. Did AF follow up and offer compensation?
ExpatSomchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 14, 5:09 pm   #8
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Thanks for your a nice report.

Strange that AF serves the apperitive champagne from a plastic cup while the wine is served from a real glass...
Yes it is a shame that the Aperitif comes in a plastic cup. The glass for the meal comes on the tray and the FA brought another one for me for the digestif at my request otherwise this would have been a plastic cup as well. I also think it would be nice to have a pre-departure drink, but maybe that's asking too much :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchen2 View Post
Thanks for the report. I quite like AF's Prem Econ product. Colors/design look good (better than CX/BA's Prem Econ colors at least) and the domestic F sized seat width/pitch makes for a good pond crossing mid-haul flight.

The pleasant seat and good quality main meal reminds me of my AF J Affairs DTW-CDG-DTW flight two years ago.

As a wider/taller guy, I really like the extra width of the PE seats vs simply increasing the pitch for DL/UA/AA's Econ Plus offerings. And the extra elite qualifying miles bonus for buying PE helps a little bit too!
Thanks for your comment! One thing AF is good at, IMO, is esthetics. Even the cramped 10 abreast Y cabin on 777s is visually appealing to me...comfort is another story. Premium Economy is definitely a good option if you don't want to shell out $4K+ and have more comfort. As a DL Flier, I fly in Economy Comfort a lot, and of course there is no comparison since AF's is a true Premium Economy product. I wish DL would introduce a true W cabin. Some people don't like the AF PE seat because they either find it hard or that it does not recline enough, and although I agree to a degree, I find that the extra legroom and width (comparable to domestic F as you say) far outweighs the negative points. The 150% MQMs and 25% class bonus is definitely a big +

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibir View Post
Nice report. Beats Delta and United premium economy out of hte water!
Thanks! Yes, sadly the US majors have gone the Y+ as opposed to true W cabin route. it's a shame as I think there is some money to be made here...but what do I know :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themapelligroup View Post
Nice report! Thanks for sharing
Thanks for reading :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerhog View Post
Pretty nice trip, good pics, cheers man
Thanks for the comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
Nice report. Merci. Did AF follow up and offer compensation?
Merci vous! Yes, AF did follow up (actually it was DL since they handle AF customer service center in the US) and they offered me 15,000 DL miles which I thought was fair. I'd heard from other pax that AF was only offering 8K or 10K for AF Flying Blue members. DL has always been more generous that AF in these situations, but then again skymiles are generally worth less than FB miles.
Old Feb 16, 14, 8:29 am   #9

Programs: DL DM | FB Platinum
Great trip report! Quick question: are those upgrade offers from AF "common", and do you have to book the trip with them to receive them, or would they also come if you booked with Delta but on AF metal?
Gwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 14, 1:21 pm   #10

Programs: OW Emerald
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanHSC View Post
Thanks for your comment! One thing AF is good at, IMO, is esthetics. Even the cramped 10 abreast Y cabin on 777s is visually appealing to me...comfort is another story. Premium Economy is definitely a good option if you don't want to shell out $4K+ and have more comfort. As a DL Flier, I fly in Economy Comfort a lot, and of course there is no comparison since AF's is a true Premium Economy product. I wish DL would introduce a true W cabin. Some people don't like the AF PE seat because they either find it hard or that it does not recline enough, and although I agree to a degree, I find that the extra legroom and width (comparable to domestic F as you say) far outweighs the negative points. The 150% MQMs and 25% class bonus is definitely a big +
I agree with you about one of AF's strengths being their good esthetics.

AF holds a special place in my heart, being the first foreign carrier I flew in a premium cabin. At the time, DL/AF still allowed DL SWU (old useless international M+ fare ones) to be used to upgrade any AF Prem Econ fare and I got in right before DL/AF closed the loophole, shortly afterwards only allowing SWU use on 2-3X more expensive full fare PE W fares.

Since I had only flown the DL (NWA World Business) A330 slanted Biz seats before the AF experience, my AF flights seemed very nice.

Of course, now that I have experienced SQ/LH/CX F not to mention many lie-flat J seats, if I flew on AF's old slanted J seats again today, I suspect my experience wouldn't be nearly as rosy. Ahh, I guess it's all relative!

I was glad to hear AF finally announced the upgrade of their J product to the top notch Cirrus reverse herringbone lie-flat seat that CX/AA/US/DL (747) uses in their new J. Hopefully AF rolls out the new J upgrades quickly!

When stuck flying Econ, I'll still take DL/UA/AA's E+ product in 9 across seating vs a glitzier carrier like Emirate/Ethiad/Lufthansa's 10 across 31" pitch seats.

Outside of affordable J fare sales and award redemption J/F tickets, the sweet spot is with the true PE products AF/CX/BA/QA offers. And it provides a safety net in case the Econ->J upgrade fails. I try to encourage the trend by voting with my revenue spend on the routes I'm flying.

More carriers need to introduce a true PE product to slot in the giant canyon that has opened up between cattle class Y and 5-10X more expensive hedonistic class J. Thank god for the USA domestic usable SWUs in the meantime!

P.S., in regards to the USA carriers' econ plus product, the only example I can think of with a wider E+ product is AA's new 77W main cabin extra product. AA made those extra legroom E+ seats 9 across vs the rest of the E cabin being 10 across. Unfortunately AA's old 772 birds were all 9 across in E so this case is more of a one step backwards and then forwards.
dchen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 14, 6:26 pm   #11
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwilly View Post
Great trip report! Quick question: are those upgrade offers from AF "common", and do you have to book the trip with them to receive them, or would they also come if you booked with Delta but on AF metal?
Thanks for your comment! I fly AF 3-4 times a year and I've only gotten the offer once. It's probably more common in the summer or in low-yield markets where Y gets oversold. The offers usually seem to happen when the flight is oversold in Y to avoid aving to do too many free Op-ups. There is a thread about this in the AF forum if you're interested.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...s-cash-af.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchen2 View Post
I agree with you about one of AF's strengths being their good esthetics.

AF holds a special place in my heart, being the first foreign carrier I flew in a premium cabin. At the time, DL/AF still allowed DL SWU (old useless international M+ fare ones) to be used to upgrade any AF Prem Econ fare and I got in right before DL/AF closed the loophole, shortly afterwards only allowing SWU use on 2-3X more expensive full fare PE W fares.

Since I had only flown the DL (NWA World Business) A330 slanted Biz seats before the AF experience, my AF flights seemed very nice.

Of course, now that I have experienced SQ/LH/CX F not to mention many lie-flat J seats, if I flew on AF's old slanted J seats again today, I suspect my experience wouldn't be nearly as rosy. Ahh, I guess it's all relative!

I was glad to hear AF finally announced the upgrade of their J product to the top notch Cirrus reverse herringbone lie-flat seat that CX/AA/US/DL (747) uses in their new J. Hopefully AF rolls out the new J upgrades quickly!

When stuck flying Econ, I'll still take DL/UA/AA's E+ product in 9 across seating vs a glitzier carrier like Emirate/Ethiad/Lufthansa's 10 across 31" pitch seats.

Outside of affordable J fare sales and award redemption J/F tickets, the sweet spot is with the true PE products AF/CX/BA/QA offers. And it provides a safety net in case the Econ->J upgrade fails. I try to encourage the trend by voting with my revenue spend on the routes I'm flying.

More carriers need to introduce a true PE product to slot in the giant canyon that has opened up between cattle class Y and 5-10X more expensive hedonistic class J. Thank god for the USA domestic usable SWUs in the meantime!

P.S., in regards to the USA carriers' econ plus product, the only example I can think of with a wider E+ product is AA's new 77W main cabin extra product. AA made those extra legroom E+ seats 9 across vs the rest of the E cabin being 10 across. Unfortunately AA's old 772 birds were all 9 across in E so this case is more of a one step backwards and then forwards.
Ah...the days when you could upgrade an SWU from a low Premium Economy A fare...those were the days. Now it seems AF doesn't even release normal O J-award inventory to DL pax...or it's just very very rare. I guess if I'll want to try AF's new flat-beds (when they get around to installing them) I'll have to shell out the cash. Form what I've read AF will be re-doing the F cabin as well, but haven't announced any details officially.

I definitely wish more airlines would go the true Premium Econ product route. There is too large a gap between Y and J products anymore. US airline E+ products are definitely better than being in Y, except maybe exit rows. It's a shame that AA has given in to the 3-4-3 trend, so E+ on AA probably makes the most difference.