Reload this Page >

Some thoughts on visiting Auschwitz and Birkenau

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some thoughts on visiting Auschwitz and Birkenau

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:43 am

I was at the museum two years ago and took with me my daughter. She was ten years old. I believe that it is not too early, children should learn from the beginning of history. Today's world offers us much more "media violence". We need to show our children the history, so do not forget about the people who kept suffer.
I felt very strongly Auschwitz tours of the Museum. There was a woman with a 6 year old child, I think it's too early to take the children in such a place. 10 years is ok, 6 is to early ...
They do not understand the seriousness of the situation, and sometimes it can harm them.
The entire trip to the Polish mention very nice. The people there are very nice, everywhere you can get along, eg. In Auschwitz we were by the group tour (http://krakowdirect.com/auschwitz_tour/) and the rider was very nice, showed us around the city and much talked about life in Poland (I recommend also to go to the Salt Mine, an amazing place with an underground lake and high salt chambers.

I think every young person should visit Auschwitz, but for example. Ten years is a good age.

Thanks for your post:
The more we write about history, the more we remember
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Based off the striking nature of this TR, and the fact that I have no idea when I'll be back, I'm considering going out to Poland to visit this when I'm in Eastern Europe on vacation at the end of the month.

Are there any easy ways to get here? I'd likely be going there from either Bratislava/Vienna or Prague. Renting a car looks relatively inexpensive but that would add a whole new leg to the adventure.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Are there any easy ways to get here? I'd likely be going there from either Bratislava/Vienna or Prague. Renting a car looks relatively inexpensive but that would add a whole new leg to the adventure.
Krakow is the mostly recommended as the closest major city to Auschwitz, however do consider Katowice.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:09 am

Wow, what an interesting trip report. I just got done studying World War Two so this was very relevant.

Very nice photography and great writing. Thanks for sharing .
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:26 pm

I don't see anything wrong about bringing children.

My mother told me about the Camps when I was about 8 while putting the towels into the cupboard.

I still remember because I was in shock as my mother had to flee Europe in 1938. So I took it personally.

In the early 1960s in Europe TV was still limited and we had no internet.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Auschwitz 'may turn away people' amid record visits

Over 250,000 people visited the former Nazi concentration camp in January-March this year
The former Nazi concentration camp at Auschwitz is attracting so many visitors people may have to be turned away, staff there have warned.
The Polish site, now a museum and memorial, saw a 40 per cent increase in visits in the first three months of 2015, compared with the previous year.
Staff advise people wishing to visit to book in advance online.
When I visited last summer, it did feel crowded, however when I visited in 2005 December it was very quiet. However as of that time, in winters one cannot visit Auschwitz II.

Last edited by UA Fan; Apr 24, 2015 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 am

I would like to go. Probably January is better but it must be cold.

Visits are up by 40% in the past few years so I read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.