Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

American Airlines new A321T Transcon - Main cabin Extra (Coach)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)

SFO777 shared an awesome trip report on flying F on the new hardware for AA between JFK and LAX. But I don't fly F or J quite as often (running at about a 50% upgrade rate). So while I look forward to flying J on an upcoming flight soon, my initial trip on the new hardware was Flight #10 -- the red eye from LAX to JFK this past Thursday.

I thought I'd share my experience in Main Cabin Extra - seat 12A. Overall, while I'm excited about the new hardware, I have some mixed feelings as well.

Boarding was slow. Really slow. It's a single aisle and you have to walk through J and F and wait for everyone to stow their stuff. The single aisle also meant it was difficult for FA's to move around the cabin helping people board.

I understand the cool mood lighting and all, but it doesn't make for easily finding your way and stowing your bags. Several times the crew had to turn on the main lights in order to help a passenger find something they dropped, etc.

After being used to flying the 762's now for so many years, I really got used to the 2-3-2 layout. I always sat on the sides, so never had a row with 3. I don't know if the seats are physically wider or more narrow, but I can't remember the last time I sat 3 across. It felt more crammed -- even though I had more legroom.

Speaking of legroom, I was able to cross my legs comfortably. Seat was OK. But if you're in A, C, D, F seats, you have a big equipment box that takes up about a 3rd of your legroom under the seat in front of you. Only the middle seat is all clear.

I could care less about the IFE screen at each seat - on outbound flights I'm always working and home bound is always the redeye and I'm sleeping (hopefully). But the USB ports are sweet. I always had power with the DC ports on the 762's but I guess the AC power outlet will make plenty of folks happier. The IFE's weren't working on my flight in any case - and in lieu of the safety video, we got a blast from the past and the crew got to perform for us.

I'm sure the crews will get more comfortable over time with the new hardware, and I certainly look forward to those times I'll get the upgrade to J. Overall the ride was smooth and I enjoyed the new car smell.

I apologize for no pics, but the mood lighting at nighttime made it a grainy dark mess. I have a daytime flight coming up soon and will hopefully grab better pics then.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
How was the food in MCE?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:10 pm

The lighting needs to be on bright for boarding, and the crew demo. You had a bad purser.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by popoemt
How was the food in MCE?
No idea? I imagine it's the same purchase on board options as always -- but on the redeye, my goal is to be asleep before takeoff through the "we're landing in 20 min" announcement

Speaking of the redeye, BTW, it WAS nice and quiet being there was no galley near my seat (ear plugs help in any case).
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the TR. This helps ^.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the report. Does this plane not have a door 2L that can be used for boarding?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Useful TR. Thanks for posting it.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Thanks for the report. Does this plane not have a door 2L that can be used for boarding?
There is a 2L door, but it is too close to the engine for the jetbridge.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, skylady.

AA actually just awarded me 5k miles as a gesture of good will for the non-functional IFE's on my flight.

Regarding the 2L and R doors, they are right aside Row 11 -- so first row in MCE is the exit row. I sat in 12A, the seat just behind 2L. After all these years flying the exit row on the 762's I've come to learn to always pack an extra pair of socks and a sweater -- those are the coldest seats on the plane.

On the 321's, I didn't even need the blanket. Not cold at all. Nice flying a plane without the cold drafts
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by skylady
There is a 2L door, but it is too close to the engine for the jetbridge.
I thought AA was working through the procedure to allow for 2L boarding.

Plenty of other airlines do it, so why can't AA?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Why not board from the rear door then?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I thought AA was working through the procedure to allow for 2L boarding.

Plenty of other airlines do it, so why can't AA?
Not in the US, however, in Europe, yes.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Where the pictures? I don't see it. Can you try take a pictures next time. I would like to see it. We want to share the pictures. I would appreciate that.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Just got back from another redeye on the A321T -- this time my experience was much better. I'm guess the crew is getting used to the new hardware

Lights were set correctly, boarding was smoother, everything worked.

Here are some photos I took of the seats, the USB and power ports, and the annoying case at the base of each A, C, D, and F seat that takes up a 3rd of your foot/under seat baggage space.

Mordy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.