Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

ZNZ-LHR on Ethiopian in C (including ET's 787-8)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, Flying Blue Plat

First (almost) report!

Have an upcoming trip next month to LHR, I'm normally an EK guy but have opted to try Ethiopian as I really want to try out the Dreamliner.

I'm thinking about doing a report as it will include some routes and aircraft that I haven't seen a lot written about here. It starts DAR-ZNZ on a Cessna 210 Caravan, often the pilot will allow one passenger to sit in the co-pilot seat for this short hop so will try for that. The scenery on approach into Zanzibar is usually pretty good as well.

ZNZ-ADD is 737-8 (not expecting much) ADD-LHR is 787-8 both coming and going. ADD-ZNZ is on a 767 via JRO (Kilimanjaro) so hopefully some good scenery there again.

At the moment there doesn't seem much info on ET's lounge in ADD or C in the 787, so if there is enough interest out there I'll snap some shots and write a quick report. Perhaps leave comments if you'd be interested in it and we'll go from there!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:41 am

Fascinating.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
So uh... you haven't actually gone anywhere yet? You mean you're only "thinking" about doing a report?

It goes without saying that readers at this forum would be interested in reading about C class travel on an exotic airline like ET, so no further comment required there. We look forward to your trip report but in the future, why not wait to submit your trip report until you actually have a completed trip to tell us about?

Until then, have a great trip!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2014 at 10:56 am
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I would definitely be interested in reading that - please do post a report on your trip! ^

I briefly visited Zanzibar back in 1999 and have daydreamed of going back ever since. I'm envious!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
So uh... you haven't actually gone anywhere yet? You mean you're only "thinking" about doing a report?

It goes without saying that readers at this forum would be interested in reading about C class travel on an exotic airline like ET, so no further comment required there. We look forward to your trip report but in the future, why not wait to submit your trip report until you actually have a completed trip to tell us about?

Until then, have a great trip!
Seat 2A, apologies for 'jumping the gun' on the report just wanted to gauge if there was interest before doing it. In future I will report once trips are actually complete!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
don't expect too much of the C Lounge at ADD...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Please refrain from opening threads if you haven't got a report to post…
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

As has been pointed out here a few times, there is no actual report as of yet, which (in all fairness) is a bit of a faux pas. Suffice to say lesson learned for future postings.

Should a mod/op want to close this thread until after I've actually started the trip, that's fair, and if the fact that there is no trip yet offends anyone then by all means report it. If this gets closed I'll happily abide by that and post a new one once the trip is done/underway.

In defence of keeping it open I'd reason that:

1. The thread and contents do pertain to the actual trip, so it's not off topic
2. The trip is not in some intangible period in the future, I have booked the tickets, visas etc.
3. Many trip reports start, have a break and then continue. I'd offer that my break is at the start.

Last edited by 255FlyerTZ; Jan 20, 2014 at 6:53 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 255FlyerTZ
As has been pointed out here a few times, there is no actual report as of yet, which (in all fairness) is a bit of a faux pas. Suffice to say lesson learned for future postings.

Should a mod/op want to close this thread until after I've actually started the trip, that's fair, and if the fact that there is no trip yet offends anyone then by all means report it. If this gets closed I'll happily abide by that and post a new one once the trip is done/underway.

2. The trip is not in some intangible period in the future, I have booked the tickets, visas etc.
3. Many trip reports start, have a break and then continue. I'd offer that my break is at the start.
Assuming that you're already there, you could always kick things off now with a little photo essay or brief impressions of Zanzibar, which is an extremely exotic place to almost all of us - that way nobody could accuse you of having an unstarted trip report...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by 255FlyerTZ

Ignore the whingers, it is indeed no different that the reports by installment, planning is half the fun. Im looking forward to seeing the report
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

First Installment: Dar to Zanzibar

Just a few pics to get the ball rolling. I always enjoy this flight and was lucky to get the co-pilot seat! It's a short 20 minute hop from Dar to Stone Town but very scenic. The pictures are a bit low quality but I will see if I have some better ones on other devices.

Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Zanzibar Airport...Worse Than You Think

Deleted

Last edited by 255FlyerTZ; Feb 18, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:10 am

I'll add a comment about ADD's lounge. The bathroom had that dirty truck stop bathroom feel to them.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:08 pm
GmK

Programs: A few
The part about Zanzibar and its airport has been one of the most entertaining reads I had on here, or anywhere for that matter, in ages.

Truly talented writing!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:07 pm
MNL

Most enjoyable. The airport in Zanzibar appears to be more challenging than Lagos on a bad day.
Keep up the good work. Can't wait for your comments on ADD and UK Border Control!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.