Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Not quite around the world trip to Vienna/Hong Kong; J in OS/LX/CA/UA

Not quite around the world trip to Vienna/Hong Kong; J in OS/LX/CA/UA

Old Dec 29, 13, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Christmas in Vienna/Hong Kong; J in OS/LX/CA/UA

Just returned from a recent trip to Vienna and Hong Kong in a not quite around the world trip. The trip was very last minute and planned as a last resort to take advantage of the December US Airways mileage purchasing deals. I chose Hong Kong because I wanted a destination in North Asia that was warm.

Visiting Vienna on the weekdays leading up to Christmas was the perfect time to visit, as there were not many tourists yet in the city.

My itinerary was as follows;

DCA-ORD; United J
ORD-VIE; Austrian J
VIE-PEK; Austrian J
PEK-HKG; Air China J
HKG-ZRH; Swiss J
ZRH-AMS; Swiss J
AMS-IAD; United J

Terminal at DCA

Last edited by drzoidberg; Dec 29, 13 at 6:43 pm
Old Dec 29, 13, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

SAS/Swiss Lounges at ORD

The two lounges (SAS and Swiss) at ORD were pretty standard fare, comprising light refreshments with coldcuts. I preferred the airy, more spacious design of the SAS lounge to the cramped Swiss lounge, although the Swiss lounge did have comfortable leather chairs.

SAS Lounge

Swiss Lounge

Last edited by drzoidberg; Dec 29, 13 at 4:42 pm
Old Dec 29, 13, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

OS 66
ORD-VIE
767-300
Business Class

For the month of December, Austrian Airlines is running a diminished business class service due to a shortage of flight attendants. Although I missed the onboard coffee bar and appetizer/dessert trolleys, dinner service was still excellent.

I recognized the appetizer (caramelized goat cheese/beetroot salad) from previous ORD-VIE flights. I'm glad they retained the appetizer as it is delicious.

We were presented with a choice of entrees (herbed rack of lamb, grilled halibut, truffled ravioli), and since the meals were already pre-plated on the ground beforehand, plating was tighter and more elegant.

Although the lamb chops were overcooked, they were delicious. Also the first time I've had lamb chops on a business class flight.

The weakest part of the meal service was the "Chicago" pecan nut brownie, but I wolfed it down. I've never had a brownie from Chicago before though.

For breakfast, we had a choice of either a California omelette (cottage cheese, mushrooms, butter potatoes, not sure what made it originate from California) or scrambled eggs (fresh chives, crispy bacon, grilled tomato, potatoes). Really tasty. Better than the eggs on Swiss J. Nothing better than waking up to the smell of freshly baking croissants on an Austrian Air flight.

Does Austrian prepare their eggs freshly on board the aircraft? Sure tasted like it.

I chose a single throne-style seat on the right side of the aircraft.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Dec 29, 13 at 4:42 pm
Old Dec 29, 13, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Chrismastime in Vienna was beautiful. Literally a Christmas market on every corner. Pleasant to see native Viennese shopping at the markets. No snow either, so that made sightseeing more convenient.

No shortage of drool-inducing desserts either.

Old Dec 29, 13, 7:18 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL PM, UA 1k2020 <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Keep it coming. Nice pics so far. Gives us an idea of what to expect in VIE
Old Dec 29, 13, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Some pictures of the Christmas markets around Rathausplatz. Christmastime in Vienna was just magical.

Rathausplatz during the day:

Hofburg palace at night:

Viennese street at night:

Old Dec 30, 13, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I was delighted to find that the usually sparse VIE business class lounge had marzipan stollen for the holidays. I loaded up along with a macchiato from the coffee machine.

Old Dec 30, 13, 5:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Wonderful photos! Not sure if you saw my report last week, but we may have overlapped in Vienna. One of the most beautiful cities in the world this time of year.

This is bringing back great memories already -- thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 30, 13, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
Wonderful photos! Not sure if you saw my report last week, but we may have overlapped in Vienna. One of the most beautiful cities in the world this time of year.

This is bringing back great memories already -- thanks for sharing.
Thanks LM225! I'll be sure to check out your report! I agree I miss it already.

Search this Thread