Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip to Sri Lanka - 5 days

Old Dec 24, 13, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

I had been on a 5-day trip to Sri Lanka in September.

Me and two of my friends flew Sri Lankan Airways from Mumbai to Colombo.

Day 1 : Got down at the airport . Got some currency exchanged at the airport itself and took a taxi to Colombo railway station to take a train to Galle. Took a rickshaw from Galle to Unawatana beach. We spent a lazy evening at the beach , which was mostly empty due to it being off-season.

Day 2: Went from Unawatana Beach to Hikkaduwa (the best beach in Sri Lanka) by way of auto-rickshaws changing rickshaws at Galle. It was a nice evening and had a lot better options to spend the evenings compared to Unawatana and we have heard that it is the most happening beach in the tourist season - with the most happening parties. We hopped from one cafe to another. It drizzled in the evening which made the weather a lot better.

Day 3: Traveled back to Colombo - by taking a train from Hikkaduwa. Spent the day there - went to a couple of malls to chill out. Took the night train to Hatton (for Adam's peak). It was the most irrelevant day of the trip by far.

Day 4: Reached Hatton station at 2 am and took a shared cab to the base camp of the peak. Started the trek to Adam's peak at 4am. Trekked for 3 hours and due to lack of fitness of the three poor souls, we decided to return when we were about 2 kms from the peak (not that we would have seen anything from the top as it was a very foggy day). Return to Hatton station by 2pm and took the train back to Colombo.

Day 5: Had the entire day to spend the day in Colombo. So what do we decide, do some Shopping, visit the most famous sea coast in Colombo - Marine Drive and as huge cricket fans, the Premadasa stadium

We used trains as the primary mode of transport. Buses are also an option.

We had visited during the non-peak season and hence were able to make hotel bookings after reaching the location. Would recommend bookings to be made in advance if visiting during the tourist season.

A more detailed description of my trip can be read at http://wanderer-abhijit.blogspot.in/...d-friends.html

If anyone has any further queries, would be glad to help.

Last edited by abhijitraja; Dec 29, 13 at 11:59 am Reason: Greater description of the report
Old Dec 25, 13, 4:17 am
MNL

WOW, awesome, LOL
Another correspondent who fails to heed the advice of the moderators!
Old Dec 25, 13, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Dear Sir,

I am sorry, but am unable to understand where the error has happened. I had taken the advice of the moderators before posting. Also, all posts are reviewed by moderators before being posted.

This is the trip reports section and have posted the same.
Old Dec 25, 13, 6:58 am
Moderator: Trip Reports

The trains look fun.

Was the weather very humid?

One of those places on my list to go to since it's quite close.

Thanks for sharing
Old Dec 25, 13, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MNL View Post
WOW, awesome, LOL
Another correspondent who fails to heed the advice of the moderators!
What are you talking about ???
Old Dec 26, 13, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Daniel,

The train was fun.

I was there in Sept, and was not Humid at all. I guess this time of the year, the weather would be just fine (though would recommend checking the weather forecast as well). Post februafy, it might start becoming humid again.

Sri Lanka is a nice place. Do visit the place.
Old Dec 27, 13, 10:59 pm

Trains

How good are the trains in Sri Lanka. Can we get reservations in sleeper coaches while traveling. Can the reservations be done online?

The report seems nice and am planning to go to all places mentioned in your post. Have a couple of more days than you. Any advice for the same?
Old Dec 29, 13, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Trains would not be too luxurious but are great to travel in and is a great experience.

Very few trains have sleeper coaches (only some night trains have it). Most trains to Galle do not.

Reservations can be done at the station. SOme tour operators also help in booking tickets online. Online booking of train tickets was not posible when I went, but you may check again.

For a couple of more days - you could visit Kandy, which has some Buddhist monuments. Also - extra days can be spent on other beaches or if you like wildlife, you can visit some elephant farms. Depends on your preference.
Old Dec 29, 13, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc View Post
What are you talking about ???
I think he's talking about the following which is posted in a sticky titled 'Guidelines for bloggers and posters of video content':

If you are a blogger or a Youtuber wishing to post a link on the Trip Reports forum please take the following into consideration:

- Flyertalk is a community; it is not a tool to drive traffic to your website/blog/Youtube account
- Posting in the trip reports forum is about giving something to Flyertalk members, it's about adding value

As moderators we encourage all users who wish to post links to websites/blogs/videos to include a reasonable synopsis (at least a couple of paragraphs) including photos (if appropriate).

This should provide a clear outline of what the user can expect when clicking on your link. There are already some members that post links to videos in this manner and they set a very good example to follow.

goodo
Old Dec 29, 13, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Have made some updates as suggested in the guidelines. Hope the same is fine.
Old Dec 29, 13, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodo View Post
I think he's talking about the following which is posted in a sticky titled 'Guidelines for bloggers and posters of video content':

If you are a blogger or a Youtuber wishing to post a link on the Trip Reports forum please take the following into consideration:

- Flyertalk is a community; it is not a tool to drive traffic to your website/blog/Youtube account
- Posting in the trip reports forum is about giving something to Flyertalk members, it's about adding value

As moderators we encourage all users who wish to post links to websites/blogs/videos to include a reasonable synopsis (at least a couple of paragraphs) including photos (if appropriate).

This should provide a clear outline of what the user can expect when clicking on your link. There are already some members that post links to videos in this manner and they set a very good example to follow.

goodo
And the OP did that.
Old Dec 29, 13, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc View Post
And the OP did that.
He did that now. Originally the post was a short sentence for each day and then a link to the actual report.

goodo
Old Dec 30, 13, 10:31 am
Original Poster

The rules were slightly vague and I thought that I had complied with the same. But I did get what you guys were trying to say and hence made the changes.

Let us not fight over it and use this forum for what it is created for - share experiences and help each other out

Originally Posted by goodo View Post
He did that now. Originally the post was a short sentence for each day and then a link to the actual report.

goodo
Old Dec 30, 13, 11:14 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Don't let them bother you. Thanks for the report.
Old Dec 30, 13, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Its all about people being happy

Search this Thread