Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa New First (744) to Prague, Vienna and Christmas in Paris (@ the Park Hyatt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa New First (744) to Prague, Vienna and Christmas in Paris (@ the Park Hyatt)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:37 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

“You do know that Denver is not on the way to Frankfurt, right? Like, not even close.”
- My father

And so it was that after nearly two weeks of obsessively checking award space, I was finally able to get two first class seats in an F5 cabin on Lufthansa’s 744 -- the famous “seat and a bed”, at T-1 (!). It would be our first time on LH F.

Of course, sometimes you have to go through the dark to see the light, and before we could experience the upper deck, we had to take a three hour United flight in the wrong direction.

Was it worth it?

Absolutely. If you’ve got UA miles, I don’t think there’s a better aspirational use for them before the devaluation. It’s something I’d encourage everyone to try.

We’re still traveling, and I’ll be updating this as we go along.

Special thanks to SFO777, not only for emotional support via PM as I sweated out the wait with my placeholder award on UA metal, but for the stellar food tips in his Paris trip report.

United Domestic First IAD-DEN
DoubleTree Denver Airport
Lufthansa 744 First DEN-FRA
Lufthansa First Class Terminal, Frankfurt
Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel, Prague
Eating And Exploring In Prague
Radisson Blu Style Hotel, Vienna
Eating And Exploring In Vienna
Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome
Eating And Exploring In Paris - Part One
Eating And Exploring In Paris - Part Two
Eating And Exploring In Paris - Part Three
Lufthansa 748 First FRA-IAD

Last edited by LM225; Dec 28, 2013 at 7:25 am
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

United Domestic First IAD-DEN

We got to Dulles around 8:30PM for our 10PM flight, went through an empty Pre-Check line, took the shuttle to concourse D and headed for the UA club. I got a few minutes of work done before we headed to the gate.

I apologize if I’m beating a dead horse here, but I rarely fly United and this was new to me: as I got to the gate, about 70% of the passengers were standing in the Group One line getting ready to board.

UA’s new slogan should be “At United, every customer is #1.”

Once on the plane, no surprises.

The leg room was...fine.

The service was...fine.

The food was...pretty awful, actually. Tasteless veggies and couscous, rubbery mozzarella, unripe fruit.

Fortunately, neither of us was hungry, and after a quick nap we touched down in Denver and went off to look for our hotel shuttle.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

DoubleTree Denver Airport

Since I booked our flight the same day we flew, pickings were a bit slim for hotels around the airport.

I did find a room at the DoubleTree available for 20,000 HHonors points, which with a $170 cash rate, seemed like a great deal for points.

For an airport hotel*, the DT was very good.

Modern, clean, comfortable bed, good breakfast (free as a HHonors Gold), frequent shuttle.

*They may be stretching a bit by calling this the DT Denver Airport. It’s a solid 25-30 minute drive by shuttle.

The next day was spent working from the hotel, and at around 2PM we eagerly headed downstairs to take the shuttle over to DEN for our 5:25PM flight.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa First Class DEN-FRA

From the nicely refurbished United Club West, I watched our 744 pull in to its gate.

At T-45, we took the train to the A concourse and walked over to our gate.

As I stood by the window, a gentleman asked me to take his photo with the 744, and it turned out to be another miles junkie who snatched 83C before I got a chance at online check-in

It was a first for both of us -- my first LH F flight, and his first on the 744 -- and we laughed giddily and geeked out for a bit while my fiancee looked on with her best “I’m marrying this?” expression.

Of course, that all changed once boarding was called and we walked up the steps to the upper deck.

The bed, even a tad bigger than I expected:

Plenty of storage in the seat:

And I was able to fit my entire carry-on in the drawer (there was a closet in the back of the cabin for rollaboards):

The purser came by to introduce himself, and Krug was poured as we sat at the gate.

Pajamas were passed out, along with amenity kits:

While the Rimowa cases were very cool, the contents were a bit underwhelming:

We got underway at about 5:35PM, and were soon at 36,000 feet.

While I waited for dinner service, I watched a movie about an airplane over Nebraska.

I must say, the service did feel a bit slow. But to be fair to the crew, one of the FA’s apologized to me for it (proactively, I didn’t bring it up). She mentioned that three passengers bought upgrades at the gate, which is why we were flying at 8/8, and they weren’t fully prepared.

In fact, they ran out of my first meal choice (lobster) before they got to me, though I tried my fiancee’s, and I didn’t regret going for the steak

Dinner started with a delicious salmon amuse bouche:

Followed by excellent caviar service:

And three appetizers -- beef tataki (tender and fantastic), beet ravioli (a bit too salty for me) and scallops (didn’t try these). Unfortunately, I was about five glasses of champagne in by dinner time, and I forgot to turn on my overhead light. Thus, the first few photos didn’t come out well at all. By the time I realized it, the tataki and ravioli were long gone. Our photos pick back up with entrees.

My tenderloin was terrific -- tender, juicy, flavorful, and actually medium rare.

The fiancee preferred her lobster, but I thought the steak was better. Of course, that didn’t stop me from happily finishing her food.

The meal was followed by a choice of desserts. I passed on the cake and flan, but I did partake in the cheese plate.

And while I claimed to have no more room, the FA tempted me with some incredible chocolates, washed down by a glass of J.W. Blue.

After some after-dinner carousing with our friend in 83C, we went to bed.

I fell asleep for around five hours, waking up 50 minutes before arrival. The bed was comfortable and firm, and the pajamas very soft. The comforter, though, was a bit much in an already-warm cabin.

Much to the disappointment of our FA, we both declined breakfast on the grounds of still being far too stuffed from dinner, and it wasn’t long before we landed in foggy Frankfurt.

My takeaways? Lufthansa has an incredible first class product, hands down. That’s no secret.

I’m still undecided on whether the bed-and-seat is more of a gimmick than a true advantage, as I’m not sure I found it any more comfortable than other lie-flat products I’ve tried.

However, the seat, the service and the food were the best I’ve experienced in flight. Easily.

But what really put the experience over the top was where we headed next...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

The Frankfurt First Class Terminal is a thing of beauty. Comfortable, welcoming and serene.

After showers, we helped ourselves to the outstanding buffet...

And while I wasn’t quite ready for booze, the delightful and completely unnecessary water bar was fun to sample from.

At T-30 (after around 90 minutes in the FCT), our PA came to fetch us for a ride to our connection to Prague.

We got handed off to the driver, who led us to his Cayenne S:

It was a fun drive to the gate, made even more fun when we had to stop to let a 747 cross the road in front of us.

Boarding was already underway, and we saddled up in our “business class” seats for the short 45-minute hop to Prague.

Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Nice report and pics!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great pics and a great start to your report. So glad that you were able to go the wrong way and experience LH New First seat and a bed. The only problem is that your fiancée is now going to start to expect this on every trip.
Looking forward to the pics from Prague and Paris!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I hate you LM225......
Well you know that that's not true.. I'm just insanely jealous... enjoy the rest of your trip... I'll get a trip report from you when you get back....

FDW
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:59 pm

Great report so far! Really enjoying this one.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:03 pm

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

When did LH start serving Krug?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
Nice report and pics!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Great pics and a great start to your report. So glad that you were able to go the wrong way and experience LH New First seat and a bed. The only problem is that your fiancée is now going to start to expect this on every trip.
Looking forward to the pics from Prague and Paris!
Yes, I've already resigned myself to a hard life of keeping this sort of thing up

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I hate you LM225......
Well you know that that's not true.. I'm just insanely jealous... enjoy the rest of your trip... I'll get a trip report from you when you get back....

FDW
Looking forward to it. I'm sure you'll be QUITE jealous of me from your villa at Amandara

Originally Posted by polandspringuy
Great report so far! Really enjoying this one.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by will2288
Great pictures, thanks for posting.

When did LH start serving Krug?
Thanks for the comment! According to the purser, it's a December special.

Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel, Prague

A 20-minute taxi ride brought us to the Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel in Prague.

While a bit dated, the hotel was nice enough. It seemed a bit generous of the hotel to call our room a Junior Suite, though:

The king bed was two twins pushed together:

The concierge at this hotel was great with restaurant reservations, directions and setting up our airport taxi before we arrived...they partner with Tick Tack transport, who have a very nice fleet of new Audi’s. Definitely worth looking up, no matter where in Prague you’re staying.

Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Eating And Exploring In Prague

The hotel’s great location just off of Wenceslas Square made it easy to explore.

Prague is an old, beautiful city. One of the few European capitals that was occupied during WWII but sustained little to no damage, so rather than having to be rebuilt, the historic architecture is very well preserved.

And the end of communism allowed them to bring in some new touches. At Prague Castle, for example...

The food, while generally heavy, was very good (and absurdly cheap).

Our tour guide took us to Cestr for a fantastic meal that showed off some of Prague’s more traditional home cooking. And yes, the beer really is supposed to have that much foam -- it’s called “milk” style and the foam is completely drinkable.

Overall, we both loved Prague, and three days was perfect. I’m not sure if we’ll come back for a while, but we really enjoyed our time getting to see this city.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by LM225
Lufthansa First Class DEN-FRA

While I waited for dinner service, I watched a movie about an airplane over Nebraska.

Haha, like it! Just got back from Prague - agree on the food being delicious and cheap but rather heavy. Time to go on a Nutribullet purge - I feel like a sausage!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
Haha, like it! Just got back from Prague - agree on the food being delicious and cheap but rather heavy. Time to go on a Nutribullet purge - I feel like a sausage!
Hah! Yes, agreed, I was not surprised to learn that the Czech Republic is the most obese country in Europe.

Fortunately, Vienna and Paris offer endless opportunities for a "schnitzel and foie gras" cleanse

Honestly, I'm never happier to see a salad than when I come home from Central Europe. Or Pittsburgh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.