Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa New First (744) to Prague, Vienna and Christmas in Paris (@ the Park Hyatt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa New First (744) to Prague, Vienna and Christmas in Paris (@ the Park Hyatt)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:23 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Lufthansa First Class, FRA-IAD

The 747-8 is, of course, a completely different layout from the 744 -- no separate beds this time. We weren’t able to get the two middle seats for this flight, and instead took 2K and 3K, two window seats.

The seat had an ottoman (with storage) that doubled as a nice seat to share a drink or chat with someone, though the tray table isn’t nearly large enough to dine together.

A table in the center of the cabin was used to arrange magazines and drinks throughout the flight:

The seat itself was more comfortable for lounging than the one on the 744 (as the latter didn’t recline all that much), and I’d choose it over the seat+bed for a day flight, though I’d be happy with either

The service on this flight, unfortunately, was nowhere near the level of our DEN-FRA one, and that was apparent from the start.

The FA was certainly a nice lady who would likely be a fine FA in coach, but she was not at all at home in FC:

- While pouring my fiance’s champagne, dropped a piece of the foil into her glass, fished it out with her fingers, and then served it as if it nothing had happened.
- Stepped on one guy’s foot, continued to address him in German even though he didn’t speak a word of it, and then later dropped a bottle of water on him while he slept.
- Accidentally stuck her finger in the caviar bowl and licked it clean.
- Served the amuse bouche and put my fork directly on the table:

Now, I don’t know if the cocktail napkins they normally put the forks on are any cleaner than the table, but it sure feels that way to me.

More service hiccups followed, but first, lunch:

Pretzel and garlic bread...both delicious:

Butter that I assume the FA neglected to read:

Caviar:

I’m never this much of a slob on the ground (though my fiance may disagree), but when you combine tiny plates and a choppy flight, my tray table always looks like it’s being used by a five year-old:

At this point I put up the privacy screen, which makes the seat feel much more like a “suite”:

For appetizers, a salad with chanterelles:

Lettuce mousse, which I didn’t expect much of, but turned out to be my favorite of the course:

And venison ham with brussel sprouts and goat cream cheese:

My fiance had the pearl barley, cabbage and duck soup, which was very good:

And we both chose the walnut gnocchi for our main course, which was...not that great. Rubbery and microwaved-tasting:

Though when I say that WE had the gnocchi, I mean that I had it, and my fiance’s still hadn’t arrived about 20 minutes after I finished. Ten minutes later, she asked the FA about it, and it turned out that she had forgotten.

She forgot to serve her entree.

I mean, c’mon. There are 8 people in this cabin. I’ve never even seen this happen on United.

No apology, just a brisk walk to the galley to pull the dish out of the oven.

By now, we were both full, and also scared to see what would happen if we ordered anything more. I decided to take a nap, and asked for turndown service, which consisted of dropping a pile of bedding on my fully-upright seat:

To contrast, here’s what turndown service looks like from one of Lucky’s TR’s:

It was about then that my IFE froze up on me. I told the attendant, and here’s how the exchange went:

Me: My TV isn’t working. None of the buttons work.
FA: Ah, that should be reset.
Me: Okay, great, thank you.

Ten minutes later, I flagged her down as she wandered around the cabin.

Me: Excuse me, it’s still not working.
FA: Oh, right, let me go tell the purser to reset it.

After that, no follow-up, and ten minutes later it still wasn’t working, so I went back to the galley to ask again.

Then, she motioned for me to follow her, and led me through the business class cabin to where the purser was sitting, and told me to tell her what was going on. At this point, it was beginning to feel like Dell tech support.

It took another two tries and 20 minutes to get things sorted out, with me having to take initiative on following up.

I took a nap, and those two uninterrupted hours were the best part of the flight. I honestly didn’t think that the seat, in lie-flat position, was any less comfortable than the separate bed on the 744.

About 90 minutes before landing, the FA asked if I’d like a snack. She went through the options, and I chose the “tomato and cream cheese sandwich”.

I took a bite and tried to recall, from previous trips to Germany, anything that would indicate that “tomato” is the German word for “smoked salmon,” failed, and proceeded to choke down the soggy fish sandwich.

Soon after, we landed at Dulles. To our pleasant surprise, there was a Lufthansa employee outside of the plane waiting for the FC passengers. He walked us down to a Mercedes Sprinter van and drove us to Customs, depositing us right next to the Global Entry kiosks. Ground service at a non-hub airport is a wonderful touch, and it was great to avoid the ugly Dulles moon buggies.

Overall, the hard product on this flight was fantastic...the new 747 is a beautiful plane and LH’s FC seats are supremely comfortable. The service on this flight left quite a lot to be desired, though our own previous experience -- and all of the reports I’ve read -- suggest that this was an anomaly, and it won’t keep me from flying LH F again.

Last edited by LM225; Dec 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Great report LM225. I absolutely love Paris and enjoyed that portion the most.

Looking at your pictures of your return flight to IAD, I noticed your neighbor with his barefeet on his ottoman. Gross.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Thanks for the great read!

a couple comments:

- regarding the macarons and their pastries in general: Pierre Herme are definitively known (at least for French people) to be of better quality than La Duree. Herme's are handmade while La Duree are processed through machines...
The macaron that has become so popular today worldwide is a recent invention, which is very different from the traditional macaron, essentially a simple almond cookie.
The recipe is different from region to region, and in my case when i think of a traditional macaron the ones from Saint Emilion comes to mind.

- regarding your LH flight back. Bad crews can happen, and you are bound to come accross them. While it does not matter as much in coach where your experience rarely depend on service, in First they can make or break your flight experience. When I was younger and still lucky enough to have found FT and be able to enjoy LH F once or twice a year i would not say anything, because I felt I didnt belong ( I was the young kid, early 20's, flying F on miles). Now I don't care anymore, when something is wrong with service i address the crew member first (ie for your fiancee champagne i would have asked for a different glass immediately), and if the service issues continues I quickly ask to have a chat with the purser. The longer you let it going on, the worse it's going to get and its not going to make your flight experience better. Every time I have thought " oh i'll let this go", I regretted it in the end.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Great TR!

Mrs. greg5 took me to Le Relais de l'Entrecôte in Genève a few years back for lunch on my birthday. It was a great experience. We pretty much rolled back home to Züri on the train. I didn't need dinner that night. In Genève it was also relatively inexpensive.

Great picture of your Aeronaut in the storage drawer. I've got the same bag, in the same color. I love it.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Excellent report. I'd have been very disappointed with that return flight. Fortunately for me I've never had a LH crew like that.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LM225
By now, we were both full, and also scared to see what would happen if we ordered anything more. I decided to take a nap, and asked for turndown service, which consisted of dropping a pile of bedding on my fully-upright seat:

Wow, what terrible inflight service. I have never experienced anything remotely close to that on any LH flight. If you haven't already done so, I'd be inclined to complain to LH. This is one crew that should not be working any LH flight, let alone TATL. Nevertheless, what a wonderful trip and great report LM225!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow, what terrible inflight service. I have never experienced anything remotely close to that on any LH flight. If you haven't already done so, I'd be inclined to complain to LH. This is one crew that should not be working any LH flight, let alone TATL. Nevertheless, what a wonderful trip and great report LM225!
Perhaps they were on loan from BA.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have to agree with SFO on this, there is not reason to have subpar service on this flight, doesn't matter if you used miles or paid for it. One thing that I have read is, LH is very consistent with the service they provide, and on your flight that didn't happen.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

thanks for the report LM225.. it's a lot of work to put these together and you're is excellent...

FDW
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I have to agree with SFO on this, there is not reason to have subpar service on this flight, doesn't matter if you used miles or paid for it. One thing that I have read is, LH is very consistent with the service they provide, and on your flight that didn't happen.
problem is he should have complained during the flight. Best case scenario he'll get 10K M&M or 5 K MP, which is the standard LH comp (yes LH is very stingy regarding compensation after the fact). and that is not going to make up for the bad experience in flight. I stated this above but if you have a problem in flight you should raise it immediately with the FA and then purser.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
Excellent report - the pictures were great and the description to. Very much enjoyed reading it. I am very much inclined to try LH F on my next trip up to Europe instead of BA. Sorry to hear that the service was a bit of a misnomer on this trip though.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:59 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Great report LM225. I absolutely love Paris and enjoyed that portion the most.

Looking at your pictures of your return flight to IAD, I noticed your neighbor with his barefeet on his ottoman. Gross.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Thanks, HawaiiTrvlr! Didn't catch the bare feet, but agreed.

Originally Posted by synd
Thanks for the great read!

a couple comments:

- regarding the macarons and their pastries in general: Pierre Herme are definitively known (at least for French people) to be of better quality than La Duree. Herme's are handmade while La Duree are processed through machines...
The macaron that has become so popular today worldwide is a recent invention, which is very different from the traditional macaron, essentially a simple almond cookie.
The recipe is different from region to region, and in my case when i think of a traditional macaron the ones from Saint Emilion comes to mind.

- regarding your LH flight back. Bad crews can happen, and you are bound to come accross them. While it does not matter as much in coach where your experience rarely depend on service, in First they can make or break your flight experience. When I was younger and still lucky enough to have found FT and be able to enjoy LH F once or twice a year i would not say anything, because I felt I didnt belong ( I was the young kid, early 20's, flying F on miles). Now I don't care anymore, when something is wrong with service i address the crew member first (ie for your fiancee champagne i would have asked for a different glass immediately), and if the service issues continues I quickly ask to have a chat with the purser. The longer you let it going on, the worse it's going to get and its not going to make your flight experience better. Every time I have thought " oh i'll let this go", I regretted it in the end.
Thank you, synd -- would be interesting to try other regional varieties. And re: complaining, I certainly thought about it during the flight, but decided it wasn't worth it; she was the only FA serving us, and I didn't think it would do us any good to complain. Frankly, the purser didn't seem all that attentive either, so it seemed to be a crew-wide problem.

Originally Posted by greg5
Great TR!

Mrs. greg5 took me to Le Relais de l'Entrecôte in Genève a few years back for lunch on my birthday. It was a great experience. We pretty much rolled back home to Züri on the train. I didn't need dinner that night. In Genève it was also relatively inexpensive.

Great picture of your Aeronaut in the storage drawer. I've got the same bag, in the same color. I love it.
Thanks, greg5, you have excellent taste in restaurants and carry-on bags

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Excellent report. I'd have been very disappointed with that return flight. Fortunately for me I've never had a LH crew like that.
Thank you, Crampedin13A. Glad you've never had to go through this

Appreciate the kind words, SFO777. I most certainly sent LH an email about my experience. Will update when I hear back.

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Perhaps they were on loan from BA.
My first thought was that they ran out of FA's and had to pull one from the UA staff, but you may be right as well

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Agreed 100%, FlightNurse. I sent them an email.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
thanks for the report LM225.. it's a lot of work to put these together and you're is excellent...

FDW
Thanks FlyingDoctorwu. Looking forward to hearing about your trip as well.

problem is he should have complained during the flight. Best case scenario he'll get 10K M&M or 5 K MP, which is the standard LH comp (yes LH is very stingy regarding compensation after the fact). and that is not going to make up for the bad experience in flight. I stated this above but if you have a problem in flight you should raise it immediately with the FA and then purser.
While compensation would be nice (and appropriate), that really isn't my primary reason for sending in a complaint at this point. As SFO777 said, this crew really shouldn't be working TATL FC, and that FA needs to be retrained or replaced. It's a massive failure for an airline with such a consistently good reputation when it comes to treatment of premium flyers.

Originally Posted by DXBFlyer
Excellent report - the pictures were great and the description to. Very much enjoyed reading it. I am very much inclined to try LH F on my next trip up to Europe instead of BA. Sorry to hear that the service was a bit of a misnomer on this trip though.
Thanks, DXBFlyer! I agree, this seems like it was an outlier. Your trip will probably be much, much better!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I agree to a point, the FA was the problem and the way the bed was made they didn't care, so to complain to them was a mood point. When LM225 had problems with his IEF, the FA turfed it off to the Purser who in turned took care of it. The issue here, the FA should have gotten the purser to come to LM225 not the other way around... Either the FA was completely clueless or was just plain lazy. The purser should have been through the cabin in FC to see if the passenger's are being taken care of. I personally have flown LH, but after reading SFO777 reports, a true LH FC personnel would have known how to take care of the IEF and made the bed..
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Most of the time I feel TRs are very nit picky (which I absolutely like, as the minor details help me towards picking one airline over the other, especially when the mileage cost is the same), but these service failures are downright awful. I would be upset even if I was flying in coach if I saw the FA's finger in my food and drink.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by bhamsan01
Most of the time I feel TRs are very nit picky (which I absolutely like, as the minor details help me towards picking one airline over the other, especially when the mileage cost is the same), but these service failures are downright awful. I would be upset even if I was flying in coach if I saw the FA's finger in my food and drink.
Indeed. While I might complain at length about the seats in the SH LH planes, which are horrible btw. Or the slip-slidy C seats, which were okay before I knew better. The FAs on LH I've had were all, without exception, excellent. Sure, I speak german with them, but they've taken care of me. Including putting together an impromptu breakfast of cold-cuts when I mentioned that I didn't eat eggs and all that was left for breakfast were omelets. In Y they were also pretty good.

Of course I feel I need to say that my FAs on AF were decent as well, but I also spoke french with them.

The service that the OP got on the flight is inexcusable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.