Search

Comparing SQ J and MH J, with a couple of TG regional J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:06 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Comparing SQ J and MH J, with a couple of TG regional J

The history of Singapore and Malaysia Airlines is intertwined just as the country used to be one. For a brief history, Malaysia-Singapore Airlines (MSA) split up to become the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and Singapore Airlines (SIA) as we know them today in 1972. And of course, the latter is now known universally as one of the best airlines to fly with. Such is also my opinion, and I am always willing to pay a premium (to a certain extent) to fly with Singapore Airlines.

As I have compiled my India trip journal previously, my original itinerary was supposed to return on Singapore Airlines to Singapore and continuing to Bangkok on Thai. However with my friend’s wedding a few days before, I booked a separate return ticket from Delhi to Thailand via Kuala Lumpur for around US$650, and this is for Business class, which is kind of good value in my opinion since Economy was going for US$450. Thus I would do a same-day turn-around in Delhi, arriving in DEL on Malaysia Airlines and flying again on Singapore Airlines with approximately 2 hours plus in between that gives me time to clear customs, head to do a refund for my Jet Airways flight cancellation and board the continuing flight.

This would be essentially similar to a mileage run since the only good part of Malaysia Airlines was it shares the same alliance as Cathay Pacific Airways. Both are part of the oneworld alliance, and I can credit the miles to my Marco Polo membership. This trip journal will also provide a decent comparison between the regional business class cabin service onboard SIA and MAS, both of which are strong rivals. So let the comparison begin!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:07 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thai Regional Business Class Service KUL to BKK

TG420 Kuala Lumpur International KUL - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi BKK
Codeshare MH9070
STD-STA: 0755-0900
Actual: 0825-0902
Airbus A330-300 HS-TEM Jiraprabha
Gate C22 Seat 12A moved to 22K

In the Thai Airways Royal Orchid lounge

Tried the Thai Airways lounge before boarding since I wanted to know if they might have any shower room and while it was small, the lounge has good tarmac views and had adequate food choices. There was also a good magazine and newspaper selection. In fact I got to see Malaysia Airlines' A380 from the Thai lounge instead, how ironic!

Malaysia Airlines Airbus A380

Thai Airways Airbus A330

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 737-800

Feeling sleeping and tired, the flight was a bit delayed and thus I just hung around in the lounge until the boarding announcement was made. What I didn't realize was I needed to switch to a printed boarding pass at the gate and fortunately I still made it in time for the flight, even though I was not the last passenger to board.

Thai Airways older business class cabin

Initially I was assigned seat 12A, and I had a seat mate at seat 12B, which was when the cabin crew advised it would be better to just switch seats since the load for the flight is quite light in the morning. Thus I moved to 22K instead which is one of the empty window seats.

TG business class recliner seat

After moving to the new seat, I was offered welcome drinks and picked the orange juice and this was followed by hot towels. The crew also came around with magazines and newspapers along with menus for the flight.

Orange juice and towel

There was some queue before take-off with many Air Asia flights departing in the morning as well. It was also my first time spotting an Air Asia X flight which is the long-haul division of budget carrier Air Asia.

Air Asia X operating an A330

On take-off, I caught a glimpse of the Putrajaya administrative complex which was a planned community of government buildings built between the airport and the city centre to ease the traffic jams in Kuala Lumpur.

Aerial view of Putrajaya

Thai Airways uses an older aircraft to serve this short regional route and thus the business class is comprised of recliner seats in the 2-2-2 configuration. Even though they were old style seats, there was a lot of legroom and the seat was very comfortable for a short haul flight. In fact being a recliner seat, there was much more space compared to Malaysia Airlines' business class seats on the A330.

Seat pitch on the old business class

Shortly after take-off, the cabin crew came around with the meal service and passengers were given a choice of main course between nasi lemak with chicken rendang or fried noodle with shrimp. Since I had nasi lemak at the lounge, I went with the latter for my main.

Business class meal menu

Beverage menu

Breakfast of fried noodle with croissant

For a short flight, the breakfast served was actually very good. The meal was actually better than what Singapore Airlines serve on their business class between Jakarta and Singapore. The noodle was not dry at all and had a good flavour.

Mee goreng with shrimp

With just a short meal, the crew came around for coffee and tea and after that I spent the rest of the flight just resting until the descent into Bangkok.

Thai Airways old recliner-style business class

It was a clear day in Bangkok with milder temperatures compared to cloudy and warm Kuala Lumpur. Arriving in Bangkok also allowed me to use the boarding pass for priority immigration. However as I will later realize the priority lanes using the boarding pass works only at certain times. Anyway with the priority clearance, I was one of the first to get my baggage as well. My experience flying premium to Bangkok has always been a pleasant one and I find the airport to be efficient as well.

Recliner seats on Thai business class

Control tower at Suvarnabhumi

Since I was kind of tired after the flights, I willingly paid the rate for a comfortable taxi transfer using the airport limousine and to save on the costs, I picked the transfer via the basic Toyota Camry which was still comfortable and allowed me to rest for the ride into town.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:09 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Malaysia Airlines New 737-800 BKK to KUL

MH785 Bangkok Suvarnabhumi BKK - Kuala Lumpur International KUL
STD-STA: 1105-1415
Actual: 1208-1457
Boeing 737-800 9M-MSC
Gate D5 Seat 2F

Shrine at Suvarnabhumi

Malaysia Airlines check-in counters

Arrived at the airport about 90 minutes before the flight with a taxi from the hotel. During the trip, I handed one of the chocolates I received as an amenity gift for the driver since he was pretty good offering a fast drive to the airport. Check in was fast as I proceeded to the 'internet check-in' counter which was empty. The lone staff manning the business class counter just happened to walk away as I proceed to check-in which was why I had to head to the 'internet check-in' counter.

Inside Thai Airways’ business class lounge

Then I proceeded to get tax refund for some of the purchases I made in Bangkok before I realized the agent forgot to hand me lounge passes and the premium lane voucher. Thus I had to return to get them. Premium lane immigration was easy and fast and I headed to the Thai Royal Silk lounge that Malaysia uses. It was interesting since they are part of oneworld and I thought they might use one of Cathay Pacific lounges instead. No matter since the Thai Royal Orchid lounge is definitely more spacious and offers more in terms of food. And having been to the Cathay Pacific's lounges before in BKK, I was not impressed. To add, Thai Airways' lounge has a pancake making machine!

Lunch spread at Thai's lounge

Pancake machine at Thai Airways lounge

Since I was not travelling on Thai Airways, there was no spa access so I just got myself some magazines to lounge. For drinks I got some honey lemon tea from the fridge and a banana in sticky rice for a snack since I already had a full breakfast in the hotel earlier this morning.

Main atrium of Bangkok's terminal

I headed to the gate around 11:05 since no boarding announcement was made. Turns out the flight was delayed, and even with some stops to take photos around the terminal, I still arrived at the gate before boarding started. This meant some waiting in the crowded gate area.

MH785 operated by a 737-800

The new liveries on the 737 indicates that I would be boarding the new cabin and I do like the new Boeing Sky interior on these planes.

Onboard Malaysia Airlines 737-800 new business class

Pillows and blankets placed on the seat on boarding, with menus on the seat back pockets. Occupancy in business cabin was 11 out of 16, and welcome drinks was served including guava juice (and I thought this was only served ex-Kuala Lumpur). A cold towel was also given out on pullback. I did have a seat mate initially but since the bulkhead was empty, he moved forward leaving me with 2 seats for the flight! Score!

Pink guava juice

KLM Boeing 777-300ER at Bangkok

Safety videos were shown while taxiing and the lead stewardess took meal orders from the front. One of my favourite things to do in Bangkok is to do some plane spotting during the taxi since there were more varieties of interesting airlines in Bangkok most of the time. The clear weather made it easier to spot planes.

Aerial view of Bangkok’s airport

Take off on clear weather with no wait in the runway gave me the opportunity to take some nice photos of the airport.

Hot Milo after take-off

The menu for the flight read as follows:

Brunch and lunch menu

Drinks menu

Wine list

Cocktail menu

One thing I liked about Malaysia Airlines is that they seem to switch on their IFE from the ground so I could start watching a new TV show titled 'Golden Boy', which I enjoyed. I picked the red snapper for lunch and a hot milo which was served far take off. The meal tray followed shortly afterwards.

Inflight meal of red snapper

The meal was alright, though the fish was lacking in size while there was a lot of rice. Papaya salad was a bit sour and there was not enough cashews. Taro pudding was average, but at least not too sweet. Overall a tasty and decent lunch, albeit the portions were a bit lacking like in Economy class that I reviewed last year. A hot towel was also served after the meal tray was collected.

New overhead controls

A Malaysia tourism video interrupted the show before landing, which was not cool at all. And on top of that there was a rough landing with turbulence on the descent which is probably due to the cloudy weather over KLIA. It is after all monsoon season in South-east Asia. And this again highlights the superiority of Singapore Airlines since they operate an all wide-body fleet which means SQ flies an A330 or 777 even on short routes between Singapore and Bangkok or Singapore to Jakarta. And these wide-body planes can withstand turbulence much better in my opinion.

Descent into KLIA

However this flight was certainly an improvement in service over my flight on Malaysia Airlines from Delhi to Kuala Lumpur. For a short flight, the meal was adequate and the brand new plane with a nice inflight entertainment made it an above-average flight.

MH Boeing 737-800 at KUL
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:11 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

MAS Golden Lounge at KUL

My flight from Bangkok arrived at the main terminal which allowed me to visit the regional Golden lounge first before proceeding for my next flight to Delhi which departs from the satellite terminal. I had a layover in Kuala Lumpur on the day I left India for Thailand and visited the main Golden Lounge at the satellite terminal. The regional Golden Lounge was certainly smaller but I thought it was slightly nicer due to the segmentation of the lounge and the views of the tarmac. In the satellite Golden Lounge, the tarmac views are limited to First Class passengers and Malaysia Airlines top-tier frequent flyers.

Entrance to the lounge

The food offered during lunch was somewhat different from breakfast but the spread in the satellite terminal Golden Lounge was as good. The regional Golden Lounge also has a pretty neat bar area that seems empty during the afternoon.

Regional Golden lounge at the main terminal

However the smaller regional lounge did not have showers and this meant I left earlier to the satellite terminal where my next flight departs from. On leaving the lounge I also checked about adding my Marco Polo membership number to the next flight since I forgot to present them while checking in for my flight in Bangkok. Once I got that I head to the Golden Lounge at the satellite terminal and having been there before, I knew where to go.

Entrance foyer to the lounge

Upon entering the lounge I checked if the showers were ready and indeed it was. I was told to proceed to the end of the lounge. Though there was no shower attendants and just a large restroom with shower stalls. The whole place reminded me of the communal showers in my university dorm room. It was also difficult to find space to store my hand carry. Inside the shower stalls, I did find towels, some bath amenities though they were generic brands and seems to be of low quality so I just used what I brought with me. However the bad part was the soap holder was spoilt which meant there was no space at all to place the small shampoo bottles. This was definitely the worst shower experience in a lounge ever. Not sure if I would want to take a shower here again.

Shower room

Since I did not really do a separate coverage of the Golden Lounge in my last visit, I shall post more photos of the lounge here. The lounge here is large and there are lots of space for passengers to get seated. But the problem is there is no partition at all and it feels like a vast hall with chairs, and not a lounge. In the centre of this hall lies a buffet counter with the same hot food offerings, coffee machines and bar fridge on both sides.

Buffet counter in the lounge

There was also a magazine stand at the central section of this counter. As mentioned before, there is also a noodle bar where one can order freshly made noodles though they open from 9am onwards so it is not possible when your flights leave early in the morning. The lounge also has a proper dining area with a smaller dining area with more food options closer to the entrance. There is also an ice cream fridge and the ice cream seems to be supplied by Kapiti, a New Zealand based creamery. The ice cream is perhaps also one of the best reasons to visit the lounge.

Kapiti ice cream

Again I stress that the open layout of the lounge is not the most comfortable since it is no different than being in the gate area except perhaps for the food. Furthermore they do cordon off the area by the windows for top-tier frequent flyer members of Malaysia Airlines Enrich program or First Class passengers.

Open layout of the lounge

Seating inside the Golden Lounge

Some of the other facilities in the lounge include a business centre and TV lounge at the entrance foyer as well as an area resembling a sports bar with flatscreen TV showing sports programs along with a bar counter. This area is perhaps my favourite part to lounge in compared to the main lounge itself but the seating area is very small and it seems separated from the whole lounge.

Reading lounge and workstation

Sports bar in the Golden lounge

Generally due to the open layout of the lounge, it is easy for the staff to see you and you to observe the staff. They do offer you with some food and beverage on entering but most of the time they are just happy to mingle and chit chat with each other. Generally they did not exude the professionalism of other airline lounge staff but they did their job fine in clearing up the tables and stuff. The experience with the so-called 'flagship' lounge at the impressive Kuala Lumpur airport falls a bit short though. To be truly world-class, an airline should have a great airport lounge as well and Malaysia Airlines did not deliver in this regard.

KLIA satellite terminal
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Malaysia Airlines KUL-DEL in A330 J Cabin

MH190 Kuala Lumpur International KUL - Delhi Indira Gandhi DEL
STD-STA: 1705-2005
Actual: 1723-2009
Airbus A330-300 9M-MTG
Gate C1 Seat 2A

After having a shower at the lounge in the satellite terminal, I got myself a cup of ice cream and walked over to the boarding gate since it was time to board the flight. I was one of the last few passengers to board the flight since the waiting area was empty already by the time my boarding pass was scanned.

Malaysia Airlines Airbus A330 at Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Seat onboard Malaysia Airlines A330

Onboard, this was not a full flight unlike the journey to KL from Delhi and only 15 out of 36 seats were occupied in Business class. That was less than 50% occupancy! Service started with a pink guava juice for welcome drinks along with cold towels. Unlike my last flight though, I did not remember them offering newspapers or magazines.

Pink guava juice

On the seat itself was a pillow and blanket while the menu was placed in the magazine compartment. Menu was similar to the one on my flight to KL and I noticed I had the same plane servicing the flight as well. Menu for the flight was already in the magazine holder in the seat back, and it read as follow:

Dinner menu

Supper menu and beverage selection

Cocktail menu

Wine list

I noticed the menu was similar to my flight to KL and I had the same plane servicing the flight as well. There was still a slight wait before the plane closed its doors so I took this chance to take photos of the cabin since the flight was relatively empty.

Business class seats by Recaro

The Business class cabin

After take-off, which did not take long, passengers were served an Indian snack pack that was made in Malaysia and orders were taken for a post take-off drink. I had a 'Teh Tarik' or a specialty tea drink and it was just like those you could get in the hawker centres of Singapore and Malaysia.

Flying past Klang

Snack before the meal

Teh Tarik after take-off

Meal service started with satay, then an appetizer with chicken or lamb choices; it ended up with me picking an all chicken meal. Since I enjoyed the TV drama ‘Golden Boy’ in my previous flight, that was what I continued watching during this flight. It was good that Malaysia’s IFE has several episodes of this drama serial.

Malaysian satay

I still have to say I rather have Singapore’s version of satay any time! I still don’t like the beans in the peanut sauce.

Salad plate

The salad was normal and I am neutral towards it. The portion of the salad served was pretty good and it came with a packet of yogurt and a fruit bowl. Next came the main course which some sort of chicken curry. It was delicious and again another good portion of meal. Papadums and assorted breads were also offered with the main course.

Main course of Narial chicken

Coffee was served while crew returned to serve dessert after clearing tray. Dessert on the flight was an Indian dessert, and it just was not something I fancy. Generally I find Indian desserts overly sweet for my taste.

Nawabi tukda

Cabin lights were dimmed after dinner service and the ambient lighting made for a nice flight environment. Service by the staff was average at best though even with a relatively empty flight as the crew was nowhere to be seen at all during the remainder of the flight.

Seat in 'lounge' or relaxing mode

Since it was a day flight and I was not that tired, I took more photos of the cabin and roamed the business class cabin. I am not a big fan of the Recaro seats since I find them slightly narrow compared to what Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines uses for their regional business class seats. The padding on the seat is also on the firm side which works best when seated upright but not really built for comfortable sleeping or relaxing.

Seat in angled flat mode

Malaysia Airlines business class cabin has 2 lavatories in the cabin and the front and rear lavatory has different amenities. Better ones upfront as they are outfitted with Aigner-branded amenities.

Aigner amenities in the lavatory

Flowers in the lavatory

When I returned to my seat, I requested for playing cards or postcards and crew returned with a bag that was stuffed with shaving kits, pens, memo pads and toothbrush sets. I had only wanted the memo pads as a memento and left the rest behind.

Sunset in the Indian ocean

About 25 minutes before landing, the crew prepped the cabin and handed out hot towels and pre-arrival drinks. During the flight, I watched Golden Boy until episode 5 and that last episode was the best so far!

Ambient lighting

Smooth landing at Delhi meant we arrived on time even with the slightly late pullback and I was definitely going to make it for my continuing flight to Singapore onboard SQ! This flight definitely was better due to the timing and the fact that the flight was not as full. The service by the crew was more or less the same as my last flight though and it seems impersonal. For what it is worth, I would only pick Malaysia Airlines based on convenience or price and would try to avoid these A330s on red-eye flights as they can get uncomfortable for sleeping.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:57 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

SQ403 Delhi Indira Gandhi DEL - Singapore Changi Terminal 2 SIN
STD-STA: 2150-0600
Actual: 2254-0623
Boeing 777-300 9V-SYG
Gate 1 Seat 15K

Managed to exit Delhi immigration and headed to the SQ check-in desks with some time to spare. A speedy check-in with no checked luggage allowed me to get a refund for my Jet Airways flight that was delayed and I had to cancel last week. There was a long wait at the Jet Airways counter as the lone staff dealing with misconnections and refunds was overwhelmed while his 3 colleagues watched on chit-chatting. A Japanese guy was waiting behind me as he just missed the last flight to Mumbai and now had to spend the night in Delhi as none of the 3 guys even bothered to help. Little wonder Jet Airways is not doing well.

New Delhi International airport

Once I got my refund, I passed through the empty security and immigration which meant I was airside within minutes and off I went searching for the Silver Kris lounge. I initially thought SIA would use the Plaza Premium lounge since the receptionist at check-in did not mention directions to me.

Immigration at Delhi

Turns out the Silver Kris lounge is accessible via the elevators in the other side and have shared toilets with the Lufthansa lounge so you could actually access the Lufthansa lounge from the back door coming out of the toilets.

Inside the Silver Kris lounge at Delhi

Lufthansa lounge at Delhi

There was a couple of hot dishes, pastries, soups and snacks inside the Silver Kris lounge and I thought it was quite good for an outstation. There was also ample seating along with good variety of magazines and newspapers. Announcement was made inside the lounge with regards to the delay allowing passengers to just remain in the lounge. I believe the late arrival of the aircraft due to the fog in Delhi was one of the problem.

Corner buffet counter

Boarding was another waiting game in Delhi, like my Malaysian Airlines flight since the gate agents in Delhi was just quite unfriendly at all. Once onboard, the SIA service was as usual, with the crew going around with newspapers, magazines and handing out welcome drinks and hot towels. The ambience of boarding a SIA flight can be said to be unsurpassed.

Business class on SQ 777-300

The purser for the flight came by and introduced herself as well and the smile and this welcome made for a better impression.

Menu and newspaper

After the passengers have boarded the plane, the crew took meal orders and the menu which was already placed in the seat magazine pocket read as follows:

Supper Menu | Delhi to Singapore

Starter

Antipasto plate
Marinated prawns and bocconcini with grilled vegetables and basil pesto

Main

Gosht kalia. kastoori aloo, dal kabila and mughlai tarkari pulao
Lamb in nut gravy, baby potatoes, tempered dal and vegetables pilaf

Seafood noodles soup
Rice vermicelli with prawn, fish and vegetables in broth

Panfried chicken piccata with toasted oregano sauce, vegetable medley and herb roasted potatoes

Paneer reshmi, kastoori aloo, dal kabila and mughlai tarkari pulao
Cottage cheese in onion gravy, baby potatoes, tempered dal and vegetables pilaf

Finale

Fresh fruits in season

Gourmet coffee & selection of fine teas

After take-off, the cabin crew came around to pass the business class ‘amenity kits’ which consists of a pair of socks and eyeshades. I remember getting these in long-haul economy class onboard SQ a few years back. This has got to be SQ’s weakest point in the premium offering amongst airlines. There was also a pre-dinner snack pack of almond and cashews along with another beverage and I picked plain old apple juice.

Amenities, peanuts and apple juice

Antipasto plate

For dinner I had the Indian lamb dish and it was good but not anything special that I would compare to Indian food on the ground. The appetizer dish was also not too bad as the prawns are juicy while the vegetables are crunchy and flavourful.

Main course with papadum

Perhaps it was designated as a supper service, satays were absent from the meal service and the dessert was abbreviated to a selection of fruits. Though the flight has a very good drinks menu and I always enjoy the non-alcoholic mixes, which is why I got the ‘Apple Bliss’ on this flight.

Orange and grape

The drinks selection are as follows:

Champagnes and Wines

Champagne

Champagne Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve

White

2011 Nautilus Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

2012 Reichsgraf Von Kesselstatt Riesling Kabinett, Mosel, Germany

Red

2009 Château Labadie Medoc Cru Bourgeois, France

2011 Dandelion Vineyards 'Lionheart of the Barossa' Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia

Port

Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Portugal

Cocktails and Aperitifs

Singapore Airlines' Unique Creations

Silver Kris Sling
One of Singapore Airlines' special touches, this cocktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with Champagne

Alspritzier
A sparkling mix of vodka shaken with apple juice and 7-Up

Solitaire Dreams
A cool concoction of rum, pineapple juice, Sling mix with ginger ale

Sunrise Breezer
A refreshing blend of sake and bitter lemon

Sweetness in Darkness
A unique mix of red wine and a splash of Coke

Vodka Flush
A tantalising drink of vodka, apple juice and bitter lemon, topped with 7-Up

All-Time Favourites

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime & pineapple juice

Screwdriver
A classic concoction vodka and orange juice

Dry Martini
A classic mix of gin and dry vermouth stirred over ice, garnished with olive

Aperitifs

Campari
Dry Vermouth

Spirits and Beers

Spirits

Courvoisier XO Fine Champagne
Abolut Vodka
Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky
Bacardi Superior
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
Japanese Sake
Highland Park 12-Year-Old Single Malt Whisky

Liqueurs

Cointreau
Bailey's Original Irish Cream

Beer

International Selection

Stout

Guinness Stout

Non-alcoholic Beverages

Featured mix

Tropical Sparkle
A refreshing-yet-fruity blend of lime cordial and 7-Up, with orange & tomato juice

Singapore Airlines' Unique Creations

Awaiting the Golden Dawn
A healthy, refreshing mix of pineapple, tomato and orange juice

Apple Bliss
A tantalising refreshment of apple juice and bitter lemon mixed with 7-Up

Tropical Fizz
An invigorating concoction of pineapple juice and bitter lemon

All-Time Favourites

Fruit Spritzer
A simple yet delightfully refreshing mix of apple juice and 7-Up

Orange Cooler
A light tangy drink created from orange juice and ginger ale with a touch of lime cordial

Mineral Water

Still
Sparkling

Fruit Juice

Orange
Apple
Pineapple
Tomato

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon
Ginger Ale
Coke
Soda Water
Coke Light/Coke Zero
Tonic Water
7-Up

Milk

Full Cream
Low Fat

Other Beverages*

Chocolate
Milo
Lassi

*Available hot or with ice

Singapore Airlines has a very extensive selection of menu featuring cocktails and includes very good coffee and tea from illy and TWG respectively. For a regional premium class offering, I find them nearly unbeatable!

Seat controls

After the meal, I was tired and skipped the entertainment since the re-fitted 777-300 features the older entertainment system and was cumbersome to navigate compared to the newer user interfaces on board SQ's 777-300ERs, A330s and A380s. The seats onboard this flight were similar to the 777-200s that also serve many regional destinations. I find them to have one of the most comfortable and widest regional business class seats. The colour scheme is also probably one of the better ones.

Regional Business class seat

I had a pretty good night's sleep, only waking up due to the pilot's announcement on the plane's descent into Changi Airport. The delay did result in the plane arriving nearly half an hour late, which was fine for me since I have an afternoon connection and planned to meet some friends for brunch. For a red-eye flight, the services on this flight was more comprehensive compared to Malaysia Airlines with SQ's crew performing better. Even the seats were more comfortable compared to the slightly firm Recaro seats onboard MH.

SQ Business class

Silver Kris Lounge at Changi Airport

I have had the pleasure to visit the Silver Kris lounge at Changi Airport multiple times and I would have to say I really enjoy the transit experience. The Silver Kris lounge, also known colloquially as SKL, is Singapore Airlines' main business class lounge and it has a separate lounge for Star Alliance Gold members (which supposedly has lesser food and beverage amenities). Anyway as far as airline lounges go, SKL is pretty high in my list. Since Changi Airport has a total of 3 terminals and Singapore Airlines flights depart from both Terminal 2 and 3, they operate 2 Silver Kris lounges, one being in Terminal 2 and another in Terminal 3.

Inside the T2 Silver Kris lounge

Gaining Entry

Silver Kris lounge entrance

The Silver Kris lounge which admits all business class passengers holding a valid boarding pass including passengers travelling on Star Alliance flights in the business class cabin. In addition, the Silver Kris lounge also admits Singapore Airlines PPS Club members. This means for passengers who spend S$25,000 or above with Singapore Airlines annually. When we consider these facts, the SKL is kind of a more prestigious lounge compared to the common airline lounges since it does not admit one just by owning a particular credit card or by purchasing an airline lounge pass for about US$500 (which can be done for US-based airlines). Thus expectations amongst passengers have to be high and deservedly so. In addition to the Silver Kris lounges, there are First Class sections of the lounges along with a really special 'The Private Room'.

Busy day at the lounge

Lounge Food and Beverages

As far as business class airline lounges go, Silver Kris lounge has one of the widest variety of lounge foods that are some of the highest in terms of quality as well. In addition to Singaporean classic dishes like fried noodles, chicken rice and carrot cake for breakfast, there was a good selection of vegetarian cuisines, western dishes, pastas, Chinese stir-fried classics or Indian curries. For cold dishes, there are smoked salmon, cured meats, and sushis. They do some good desserts too like sea coconut and longan in syrup along with some special dishes during the Chinese New Year like fried rice cakes. The food offerings in this lounge does not lose out to some hotel buffets and needless to say it is not likely one will go hungry here.

Food at Silver Kris lounge

Congee for breakfast

As for beverages, the lounge also provides a variety of drinks from the common soft drinks and juices to espresso machines and a range of alcoholic beverages like wines and beers. They even have a Tiger beer tap! One of my favourite though has got to be the wide selection of TWG teas. These tea bags are really wonderful for a warm drink before any flight!

Bar area in the SKL

TWG tea in the lounge

The lounge also features dining areas that are separated from the seating areas thus giving more space for guests and limiting cutlery clatter in the lounge area.

Silver Kris lounge dining area at T3

Dining table in the lounge at T2

Lounge Amenities

Both the lounge in T2 and T3 have adequate seating and features a luxurious ambience that has adequate lighting and while it does not have any special furniture that adds privacy, there are enough seats spaced with side tables that it has some kind of privacy for guests. In addition, the lounges usually have a quiet corner for those seeking to work on their laptops or just seeking some peace while travelling.

Quiet section of the Silver Kris lounge in T3

Wifi signals in the lounge is also easy to access and provide reasonably fast speeds that is useful even for online video conversations through Facetime or Skype. This is in addition to the airport wide wifi provided for all passengers on a complimentary basis.

The lounge also had one of the widest selection of magazines and newspapers. Besides the local newspapers, they also stocked up on German language newspapers (most probably due to Lufthansa being a Star Alliance partner) and regional selections too!

Newspaper stand

Shower Facilities

Shower stall

The lounge has adequate shower facilities with enclosed private rooms for passengers. And Singapore Airlines did make it look nice and comfortable such that it is easy for passengers to place their hand carried items to avoid it getting wet. There was also ample amenities like mouthwash, toothbrush and towels inside the shower room.

Shower room at Silver Kris lounge

One fault I find is that the soap and shampoo compartment attached to the wall is not very friendly to use. It definitely works better than the ‘swivelling’ soap dish at Malaysia Airline’s Golden Lounge but it could be improved upon.

Closing Remarks

Seating area of the Silver Kris lounge at T3

Amongst airlines, Singapore Airlines might have one of the most reputed cabins, but in terms of airline lounges it is perhaps in the upper scale but nowhere near the top. However the Silver Kris lounge in Changi Airport are definitely a nice place to spend the time in, and better than Malaysia Airlines' lounges at KLIA.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
As always, enjoy reading OP's TRs, esp. was amazed by the beautiful pictures!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Thanks for the TR especially helpful since I have a couple of regional MH J flights coming up soon.

I find that the regional J are quite similar but like you said, since SQ operates all wide-bodies, SQ does have a slight advantage as it feels less claustrophobic.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Beautiful photos, I like the aerial view of BKK, very cool!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:47 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Tg414 sin-bkk

TG414 Singapore Changi SIN - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi BKK
STD-STA: 1555-1715
Actual: 1616-1713
Boeing 777-300 HS-TKB
Gate D41 Seat 14K

Entrance to Thai Airways lounge in Changi Airport Terminal 1

I already had the boarding pass for this flight as I am connecting on Singapore Airlines from Delhi to Bangkok via Singapore. During my layover in Singapore, I had the chance to meet up with friends in town and thus I headed to the gate as late as possible. Upon crossing the immigration easily, as it is always the case in Singapore, I head to the Thai Airways Royal Silk lounge located at Terminal 1. Star Alliance Gold member can access this lounge and the entrance can easily be seen since it is using Thai Airways purple colours.

Inside the Royal Silk lounge

The lounge was quite empty when I arrived and inside there was a very good range of magazines and newspapers. Behind the shelf, there was also some food and light snacks with a bar fridge filled with the usual sodas. This was quite a good lounge to wait for a flight and more or less on par to other airlines' outstation lounges. There was also lounge wifi but then again the whole of Changi Airport has free wifi anyway.

Thai Airways’ 777-300 at Changi

I did not linger long in the lounge and made my way to the boarding gate which is probably 5-10 minutes walk away. The short flight to Bangkok today was served by a 777-300 and it seems to be quite full in both Business and Economy as there was a lot of passengers waiting in the gate area. Boarding commenced shortly after I arrived at the gate and it was quite orderly with Business passengers and frequent flyers being able to board first.

Business class onboard Thai Airways’ 777-300

The business class cabin onboard the 777-300 was configured in a 2-3-2 arrangement like the ones in KLM and it was also in an angled-flat seat. Generally this would be adequate for a 3-5 hour flight in my opinion as long as it is not a red-eye departure. The seats are also similar to what Thai Airways installed in their A330s, though the 2-2-2 configuration there was much better. Though there seems to be more legroom in the 777. The aisle seat next to me was soon occupied as it seems to be a full flight today in Business class and I settled down fairly quickly after flying the whole night yesterday and meeting up with friends for brunch earlier today.

Seat controls

Cabin crew gave out drinks and towels upon boarding but the service was a bit rushed due to the full business class cabin. There was also a short queue for take-off and before long we were cruising the skies headed north.

Clouds off the coast of Malaysia

After the seat belts signal was turned off, the cabin crew came out to distribute sunflower seeds and our choice of beverage. I had the Thai iced tea which are sweetened and a refreshing beverage for a flight on Thai Airways.

Post take-off drink and snack

I then perused the menu in expectation of my late lunch and the menu for the flight read as:

Singapore - Bangkok

First Course
Marinated King Prawns, Black Cod Char-siew

Main Course
Roast Chicken Breast
Roasted New Potatoes
Carrot, Broccoli
or
Baked Dory Fish with Oriental Sauce
Egg Fried Rice
or
Fried Duck with Thai Chilli Sauce
Rice Noodles with Sauce

Garlic Bread, Roll, Butter

Dessert
Pear and Cinnamon Crumble
Tea, Coffee
Espresso, Cappuccino

Wine List

Champagne
Piper Heidsieck Brut Champagne

White Wine
Château Chantegrive Blanc 2011

Château Haut Bertinerie 2011

Montagny Premier Cru 2010

Red Wine
Château Peyrabon 2004

Côte de Nuits-Villages 2011

Aperitifs
Mekhong THAI Sabai, Mekhong Amethyst, Campari, Gin Martini,
Screwdriver, Bloody Mary, Black Russian, Vodka Martini, Warre's Warrior Port

Spirits
Rum, Gin, Bourbon Whisky, Vodka

Cognac & Liqueurs
Camus X.O., Kahlua, Drambuie, Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge

Beer
Chang Beer, Heineken Beer, Singha Beer

Soft Drinks
A Range of Soft Drinks, Diet Soft Drinks, Fruit Juices

Beverages
Decaffeinated Coffee, Cappuccino, Espresso, Instant Coffee,
Special Blended Coffee, Oolong Tea, Ceylon Tea,
Japanese Green Tea, Chocolate Malt 3 in 1

I picked the roast duck for my meal and it was served in a tray along with the appetizer and dessert. The crew then came around with offers for bread and garlic bread. As usual, they crew always gave 2 garlic breads to passengers. The meal service onboard Thai Airways were always well presented even with the whole tray service as they pay enough attention to details such as having the cutlery wrapper with the 'I Fly Thai' insignia and their use of nice porcelain.

Inflight meal service on Thai Airways

The roast duck main course was better than I expected as the meat was surprisingly juice and not dry. The rice noodles also maintained a chewy and moist texture. Thus I did enjoy both the appetizer and the main course. However the dessert was a bit too sweet and not very well done. However I was quite full anyway since I did have a very good brunch in town earlier on.

Roast duck with rice noodles

After the short meal service, I reclined my seat to the angled flat position and took a nap all the way until we started our descent as we passed the Gulf of Thailand.

Coastline of Thailand

It was a nice sunset landing into Bangkok Suvarnabhumi and as we taxi-ed to the gate, I was able to spot some interesting mix of airlines, which was always the case in Bangkok. In addition to Israel's El-Al 747, we parked next to an Air Madagascar A340 so that made for a nice ending to this short but excellent flight. Thai Airways provides excellent service and great food for a short regional flight and makes for a great airline within the Star Alliance team.

El-Al 747 at Bangkok

Air Madagascar Airbus A340
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:51 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lewende
As always, enjoy reading OP's TRs, esp. was amazed by the beautiful pictures!
Thank you lewende!

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Thanks for the TR especially helpful since I have a couple of regional MH J flights coming up soon.

I find that the regional J are quite similar but like you said, since SQ operates all wide-bodies, SQ does have a slight advantage as it feels less claustrophobic.
There are also notable differences in the amenities provided in the lounges and amongst SQ, TG and MH, I would rate them in that order in terms of desirability.

Originally Posted by agp423
Beautiful photos, I like the aerial view of BKK, very cool!
Thank you agp423!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:02 am

Very nice pictures as always! Thanks for posting this trip report
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
great pictures. The "hokey pokey 100" label on the ice cream cracks me up for some reason.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Truly enjoyed this trip report. Thanks for sharing ^
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Amazing pictures. Love reading your TRs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.