Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving in the Maldives via Etihad, Malaysia A380 and British A380 First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving in the Maldives via Etihad, Malaysia A380 and British A380 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by price123
Burberry Regent Street is stunning but doesn't have the staff that Bond Street does. It's a little soulless, although often has more choice in the sale.
The choices in Burberry Regent Street is second to none, however for a flagship store (as well as for the space) there is a lack of staff! I actually prefer the Burberry on Brompton Road at Knightsbridge~
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Sorry to hear about Gordon Ramsey. You should have gone to Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it last time we were in London.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO777
To the newly renovated Corinthia Hotel on Whitehall Pl near the Thames and Parliament.
Interesting choice - looks wonderful! May I ask what drove this selection (magazine review, past experience, travel agent recommendation, etc.)? With so many selections in the area I'm curious why this one....
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I'll second that.

Thankfully Ramsay has now been evicted from Claridges so it's safe to eat there again now.
Ha! Love it!

You know, I've always had a hit or miss time at his places but always thought the UK outposts should be and were superior. I had a great meal at Maze earlier this year but perhaps that was just a lucky instance?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by handsomestpete
The Cognoscenti wouldnt touch Burberry with a bargepole----FAR too'De Trop'
Yes, the chav factor has taken its toll!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Digital01
Sorry to hear about Gordon Ramsey. You should have gone to Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it last time we were in London.
Americans eat it up.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Americans eat it up.
Not all American's. After eating at his place in Caesars Palace in which I sent my food back, I wont step in one of his places again...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Sorry to hear about the poor experience at the Savoy Grill. My wife and I enjoyed an excellent lunch there this past April during a long afternoon in the city while we were enroute from IAD to AKL. Perhaps we were lucky but based on our experience, we will return the next time we visit London.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Burberry.
A British premium brand trading on it's British heritage that people are prepared to pay a premium for.
Sadly the bulk of the manufacturing was moved from Wales and Yorkshire to China.
The GMB calculated that the cost to Burberry of producing a polo shirt in China was Ł4.00
The price in the store pays no relation to the manufacturing costs.
British icon. Really?
At least the rain coats are still made here.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:11 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Burberry.
A British premium brand trading on it's British heritage that people are prepared to pay a premium for.
Sadly the bulk of the manufacturing was moved from Wales and Yorkshire to China.
The GMB calculated that the cost to Burberry of producing a polo shirt in China was Ł4.00
British icon. Really?
Many national icons have their products produced outside of their home country. In real terms I do not believe this diminishes the brand. In Burberry’s case, their Britishness. (no, I do not like or own Burberry items )
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Burberry.
British icon. Really?
Got to love their trenchcoats~~!!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Got to love their trenchcoats~~!!
Big Burberry fan here - the clothes are altered to fit so you feel great in them. Quality of materials is very high, service is great (always good to have champagne included in shopping experience).
Also, of the clothes I own, most are made in Britain or Italy.
But, we may be getting a bit off topic!

Last edited by price123; Dec 12, 2013 at 1:33 am
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
NoY- trouble is I did like the brand.... I just can't support it any more.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Traffic was light on both the A4 and M4 and we arrived at First Class end of T5 in less than 30 minutes. The meet-and-greet porter service that we experienced last year was apparently only a test, with BA perhaps deciding that their premium pax are too pampered and, in the words of the CFO of the worst airline in NA, over-entitled. And unless it was very understated, there was no outside indication of the First Class check-in area. I guess you are just supposed to know.

With no bags to check, we received our BPs and were off to Fast Track security. Despite few people in line, Fast Track security was slow and manned by staff that made TSA look like a model of efficiency.

British Airways Concorde Room

Dunno about this one. I used to think this was a great lounge, but each time I visit... meh. It's OK, but doesn't do anything for me. Nicely appointed with reasonably attractive seating areas both inside and "outside" on the terrace overlooking parts of T-5. But after lots of time this year in the Lufthansa, Etihad and Emirates lounges, it's just not that exciting anymore. Some pics from last year...

Dining room? Meh. A lot of the booths are really claustrophobic and some feel like you are eating in a closet. Fortunately, the place was not crowded and we were able to find a nicer table with a "view".

Today's menu. Another meh.

And the wine list. Not bad, at least with respectable champagnes.

Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I decided to try the soup. Way too hot to enjoy. And when it did cool down, meh.

Nothing on the menu really interested us. OK, how about a burger.

Naturally, it only comes one way... well done. Our burger today was so bad that we gave up after one bite. And how can one screw up fries?? Ugh.

To quote Mrs. SFO: "This is the worst burger ever. This menu is terrible. I never want to eat here again."

Inside anywhere near the restaurant was now depressing so we headed outside. A little more pleasant...

... but there are no power outlets to recharge, forcing one to improvise and unplug a lamp and use its outlet.

With no lunch, how about some nibbles? OK, why are the nibbles hidden behind the bar and not out in the open where one can serve themselves instead of waiting for the waitstaff to fetch and deliver? To quote Mrs. SFO: "This is stupid. Why don't they have a place where you can just walk up and fill up your trough like the Admirals Club." Ouch, she'd rather be in an Admirals Club.

At around T-55, we headed down to limo dispatch for our S class ride to the C concourse. LOL, yeah right. Of course, no S class limo service like in FRA or MUC, no direct boarding to the plane like EK in DXB or JFK and no buggy like TG in BKK. No, we're just another number as we walk and walk and take a train to the C concourse, two train stops away.
Fifteen minutes and a train ride later we are at C56.

To C56 and our first look at the impressive BA whale.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 12, 2013 at 3:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.