Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Exploring Asia: Philippines (PR J), Bhutan (KB J), India and Singapore (SQ + CX F)

Exploring Asia: Philippines (PR J), Bhutan (KB J), India and Singapore (SQ + CX F)

Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos

What a trip! In just 19 days, I visited five countries (Philippines, Thailand, Bhutan, India, and Singapore), took eight flights on five airlines totaling 21,687 miles, and never set foot in coach. The Druk Air flights to and from Bhutan are the most scenic and spectactular I've ever experienced, and should be on everyone's list.

My routing was as follows. Given the number of flights and destinations, I'll be posting my report in stages. Hope you enjoy!
November 3: SFO-MNL on Phlippine Airlines 105 in Mabuhay Class (J)
November 6: MNL-BKK on PAL 736 (J)
November 8: BKK-PBH on KB 127 (J)
November 13: PBH-DEL-JDH on KB 204 (J) and 9W 721 (J)
November 17-18: DEL-SIN on SQ 403 (F, award)
November 21: SIN-HKG-SFO on CX 650 (J, award) and 870 (F, award)

Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

SFO-MNL in Mabuhay Class

I'd been wanting to visit Bhutan for years. A friend happened to be going there this November, and in mid-October invited me along for the ride. I of course accepted, and only then started looking for flights. There weren't a lot of good J awards available, and the only *A fares that were reasonable didn't accrue miles. The solution? A $1275 paid fare on PAL to BKK would get me to the jumping-off point for Bhutan and give me a couple of days in Manila.

So on November 3, I found myself at SFO checking in for the 14-hour redeye flight to MNL. I headed to the Mabuhay lounge to start things off right. It's way in the back of the SFO international lounge section, next to the janitor's closet. Not the best sign.

Mabuhay class was full, and the lounge was crowded!

However, there was little competition for the fairly dismal food offerings. I declined.

Soon, we were boarding. Mabuhay class on PAL has one section in the front of the plane, and one up top. I was booked up top, which I generally prefer, and got this snap of the forward cabin on the way there. It looks even more private than the upstairs, and probably equally nice overall.

The seats weren't totally new, but are a solid business class product. Best upstairs rows are bulkhead (11 on this plane) and exit (15, pictured), which have lots more legroom.

However, my standard seat was fine for my 5'9" frame.

One nice thing about the upper deck was the cabinets by the window. No need for overhead storage for me.

PDB of punch and sparkling water on request. Since I wanted good sleep, I didn't see about alcohol on the ground.

Amenity kits were then distributed. Along with a standard eye mask and socks, we got a Bally bag with Clarins products. The bag is pretty nice: it's light and folds up in thirds,and has a metal loop for hanging in a bathroom. I could see myself using this in the future:

And then we were off!

Last edited by nycsfo; Nov 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

PR 105: Meal Service

The menu:

-

-

Note the inclusion of this classy beverage:

We started with an amuse of seared sashimi grade tuna with wasabi - quite nice! I'd paired it with the Lindeman's white, which was more than serviceable.

The appetizer salad was very good as well; you can't go wrong with prosciutto, and the veggies were fresh.

Unfortunately, I dug into the prawn and crab fat thermidor before documenting it, but rest assured it was pretty good. Finally, the cheese/dessert.

They came by with a round of coffees/drinks before sleep, but otherwise it was hard to get topped up. Perhaps they were less attentive because we were totally full.

Earplugs and eyemask made sleeping pretty easy. I woke up wanting to try the arroz caldo, their specialty dish. One ring and the FA was right there, and in a couple of minutes I had my snack.

It was excellent - savory and salty in the right way, with yummy crunchy fish to mix in. Porridge and similar dishes are easy to prepare well on planes. I don't know why more airlines don't use them!

Regular meal service came soon after - I had the beef tapa with scrambled eggs and fried rice, but I was pretty full from the arroz caldo and didn't finish it.

Soon, we were on the ground, and I was in the Philippines!

Last edited by nycsfo; Nov 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Nice looking amenity kit! Looking forward to the rest of this report, especially Bhutan.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Great report!

I LOL'd so hard when I saw that beer gem..Colt 45!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:21 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Did you partake in a Colt .45? It's one of those bucket list things to try at 40,000 ft...

FDW
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Thanks for the report! ^^

How did you find the 747 leg space? (I find it a bit tight; their 777 is loads better...) Any service issues? PR price is always right though Also, any pictures of the new PR lounge in MNL?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Great report so far, Bhutan is high on our bucket list so looking forward to the rest of your report.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Did you partake in a Colt .45? It's one of those bucket list things to try at 40,000 ft...

FDW
Originally Posted by enviroian
Great report!

I LOL'd so hard when I saw that beer gem..Colt 45!
I LOL'ed as well, but didn't order it. In fact, I barely drank anything on the flight, which was good because I was actually able to get good rest. There really wasn't much service, just people sleeping. My seatmate and I both had the arroz caldo, but because we arrived at 4 am, it seemed that most wanted to get in as much sleep as possible.

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Thanks for the report! ^^

How did you find the 747 leg space? (I find it a bit tight; their 777 is loads better...) Any service issues? PR price is always right though Also, any pictures of the new PR lounge in MNL?
My camera crapped out after I posted this, but I'll have new lounge pics up soon as part of the next segment. It was quite nice, and they even have a custom cocktail bar.

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Great report so far, Bhutan is high on our bucket list so looking forward to the rest of your report.
Originally Posted by gluedtothewindow
Nice looking amenity kit! Looking forward to the rest of this report, especially Bhutan.
Thanks! I could easily earn a banning by filling this forum with images from the flights as well as my tour. it's as beautiful and unspoiled as you've heard. Hope to be able to get a selected set up soon too.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Nice job so far. Looking forward to more of this report. I've flown PR before but never in J.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the report. I am looking forward to the next sections.

Strange that they served two white and two reds of the same grape variety.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

On the ground in Manila, then off to Bangkok

After a quick nap, I was off to Manila's Chinatown to sample the local cuisine. It was a short walk from my Intramuros hotel, but the weather, traffic, and pollution made it not too pleasant.

I arrived in a brief break in the downpour, and set about finding some snacks.

-

-

The next day was better, and I toured Fort Santiago near my hotel.

However, as Haiyan was bearing down on the country, I decided to leave early, and headed to the airport for an afternoon flight to BKK. I was on PR's regional business class, and had no idea what to expect.

Check-in was pretty grim:

There was no priority security or immigration line, but it made little difference on that day. I steeled myself for the Mabuhay lounge, my expectations rock-bottom. I was very pleasantly surprised by what lurked behind the doors - the place was very recently redone and well-appointed.

As you enter, you pass the "theater" area. Today, a surly man (not pictured) was intently watching a satellite rebroadcast of "storage wars." Comfortable nonetheless.

I moved on to the large self-service buffet:

And had the bartender make me a moscow mule.

Lounge/seating area beyond the buffet/bar:

Soon, we boarded. Not a lot to report about the flight, which was equivalent to domestic first in seating. No video screens, though, but they did distribute ipads for us to play with. Loaded with angry birds and other similar games, as well as a dozen or so Hollywood movies.

The menu:

Another menu call-out (as with the Colt 45, I passed):

I ordered a "dry martini," which on PAL means a glass of vermouth, on ice, no vodka/gin. I'll say one thing for the beverage: it was bracing! Apps (which were not great):

And the very serviceable lapu-lapu:

My next post will be the Druk Air flight to Paro. Happy thanksgiving to all!

Last edited by nycsfo; Nov 30, 2013 at 9:46 am Reason: Found pics of the food
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: FT
nice TR.

not seen many on PA.

Nice…COLT 45 in PA…[straight-out of Compton I am sure, special delivery to SFO...] I do love seeing the San Miguel though…and “light”.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Flying Druk Air BKK-PBH

After a couple of days in Bangkok, staying at the Le Meridien on points, it was time to fly to Bhutan!

KB127 flies from Bangkok to Dhaka to Paro. Ground operations at BKK are handled through Thai Airways. I was flying business class, which was only about $60 more than economy, but the check-in lines were about the same either way.

No seat assignments are available in advance on Druk Air; you have to ask in person. This means it pays to get to the airport in advance of your flight, because you need to pick the correct side of the plane for the best views. On flights from Bangkok to Paro, the left is where you want to be. Luckily, there was one window seat available in business, on the left. I nabbed it, and went to the lounge. It's a shared Air France contract lounge, and not worth a visit. Sub-Red Carpet Club catering.

I snapped this pic, downloaded some emails, and then went out to the airport in search of some last-minute souvenirs.

Boarding was about 10 minutes late, and I was shuttled to the plane with the rest of four-row business class. We were on an A319, which is the only plane Druk AIr flies internationally, and the only one suitable for the rather extreme landing/takeoff route through the mountains. It was generally in good shape.

Seats are nice, perhaps slightly better than domestic first in the US.

This pic is from my next flight, where I sat on the right.

Legroom is decent:

After a welcome juice and warm towels, menus were distributed:

-

-

Fruit starter:

And my main, which was fine.

But the real fun was outside of the plane - the views were incredible.

Flying over Bangladesh, before our brief stop in Dhaka.

A few "foothills," too short and insigificant to be named.

-

A view of Everest (very small on the left side of the pic):

Then we landed, banking left, then right, straight into the valley at the center-right of the pic:

And we were on the ground! Even the airport was scenic:

-
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:36 am
Original Poster

On the ground in Bhutan

Bhutan is a spectacular country. Unspoiled, serene, and totally picturesque. I'm not a travel writer, and won't muck it up by trying to be one. These pics of our 5 days on the ground will speak for themselves; feel free to PM me if you want more specific info on what to do there.

We went directly here from the airport, a 20-minute drive:

-

-

-

-

-

The Tiger's Nest monastery is a must-see, and takes the better part of a day to drive and hike to:

Dochula pass is a must-visit. The Himalayan views are stunning, just from the road:

Moreover, from Dochula, there's a two-hour hike up to a remote monastery with a 360-degree view of the surrounding peaks.

We visited the black-necked crane festival, which has in recent years become a large gathering:

-

The takir, the national animal:

The Bhutanese have a tradition of drying chilis on their roofs, to be cooked with cheese (the national dish is chili and cheese) later.

-

But after several days, even this view gets a bit repetitive (and the cuisine positively dreary).

So I was off to India to meet up with another friend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.