Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip report: starting a trip from Beaumont, TX BPT and on to IAH

Old Nov 21, 13, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Just thought I would post a trip report for a trip my wife and I did 2 weeks ago to clairfy some questions that have been posted here. We live in Kingwood about 15 miles NE of IAH and wanted to go out to SFO to see my daughter so it was a pleasure trip and not one a client would be paying for. As posted here before you can begin a trip in Beaumont, TX and save some money. The only catch is the trip to IAH is on a bus like the ones the car rental folks use to get you around the airport. Still, we could save almost $240 each on our tickets and get the extra mileage segments and for us it is a roughly an hour and 15 minutes out to BPT airport from our home along old Highway 90 which goes through some pretty farm lands.

We booked a 10:40 "flight" and had a nice drive, most of the road is multi lane but there are a few sections of 2 lane road and some slow spots through towns. Arrived at the Jack Brooks Airport's new terminal and parked in space about 50 feet from the front door. Worth mentioning is the parking is free. Checked in and they tagged our bags, they get them on the bus for you. There is a Budget and Avis rental office right in the terminal and our ticketing agent said some folks do a one way rental from Houston and just drop off the car.

Boarded the bus and they left 15 minutes early! Way to go United! They take I-10 west and then go north on the Sam Houston Tollway. Thankfully most of I-10 is repaved concrete but it's a bit of a bumpy ride as those buses are not really built for driving at 70mph! We arrived almost 30 minutes early an were dropped at the C terminal. No need to get your bags that were checked, the bus will get them to your flight.

We only had an hour wait so we hung out at the club. On our return we had a rather close connection time wise but upon exiting our jet at IAH my wife saw a sign saying that connecting passengers for BPT should go to A terminal. We had to walk quickly as we came in in the E terminal and had to get to the overhead train for A and our flight was boarding in 30 minutes. Our bus arrived a bit late, we walked down a long hallway to an open door, showed our BP and boarded. We had purchased some water in the terminal as they don't offer a beverage service. There is no entertainment but you can use your cell phone and other electronics so the 90 minute trip back to BPT passes quickly. Oh, and our bags were on board and they unloaded them for us when we got off. In less then a minute we were back in our car driving home.

All in all we would do it again if the savings warranted it. We figured our travel days are sort of lost time so the extra time driving wasn't so bad. It would be nice if they could use a better class of small bus that doesn't bounce over every bump in the road though.
Old Nov 21, 13, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anything to see in Beaumont while you're there?
Old Nov 21, 13, 9:08 am

great report, thanks for taking the time to share. i have often considered that route but mostly travel on weekends where the extra time really cuts into the trip. did you receive PQM for the bus trips? that may make it worth it for me in the future!
Old Nov 21, 13, 9:09 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Anything to see in Beaumont while you're there?
lolz.
Old Nov 21, 13, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jnb_tx View Post
Did you receive PQM for the bus trips? that may make it worth it for me in the future!
Yes, 500 PQM and 375 bonus miles.

As for things to see or do, I guess every town has something but our goal was the quickest turnaround as possible. And the airport is actually in Nederland on the road to Port Arthur.

You could go for the culture:
http://www.museumofthegulfcoast.org/

or get some lunch if time premits:
http://www.thebeaureve.com/

or drive by the Motiva Port Arthur Refinery, the largest oil refinery in the USA, producing around 600,000 barrels per day!
http://www.motivaenterprises.com/mot...rt-arthur.html
Old Nov 21, 13, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, DL Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
The former World's Largest Fire Hydrant!
Old Nov 21, 13, 12:42 pm

Programs: MANY
Nice report. Thanks of sharing. I will definitely keep this option in mind if I have to go to Houston area, or even Southern Louisiana.
Old Nov 21, 13, 2:14 pm

Programs: MP Au, former 1K
Was there a GA for this "flight" who scanned your BP, or was it just the bus driver who looked at it?
Old Nov 21, 13, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ianmanka View Post
Wow, this sounds pretty cool, maybe worth the trip all on its own. We had a great time at the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Cawker City, KS (way better than the giant van Gogh painting in Goodland).
Old Nov 21, 13, 2:33 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see further "capacity reductions" from RJs to buses if this saves costs.
Old Nov 21, 13, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see further "capacity reductions" from RJs to buses if this saves costs.
I think someone made the joke in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-its-bus.html that all passengers are getting a complimentary upgrade to bus. class.
Old Nov 21, 13, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Awesome TR! I was hoping to find something on FT today that would make me LOL.
Old Nov 23, 13, 7:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by davewang202 View Post
Was there a GA for this "flight" who scanned your BP, or was it just the bus driver who looked at it?
Yeah, I did this on a flight to LAS last month and am doing it again next month on a flight to Mexico. If you have the time to spare and paying for the flight out of pocket, it really can be worth it. I saved about $150 on my RT to LAS. The bit of gas you spend is outweighed by the free parking and extra miles/segments.

To answer your question, at BPT there is an agent who has a list of who should be on the flight. If everybody is there, the bus leaves early. At IAH, its exactly the same as any regular flight since it leaves from a gate at terminal A.
Old Nov 27, 13, 6:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Where did you go thru security?
Old Nov 27, 13, 7:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
Where did you go thru security?
On the outbound from BPT, you go through security at IAH since the bus drops you outside Terminal C. BPT has a security checkpoint, but when I was there it wasn't open. Not that you have to use it... the UA bus sits in front of the terminal.

Search this Thread