A Trip Around The Arabian Gulf

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:46 am

lol, yes that's true Daniel, if you live there I guess you need to
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Fantastic TR DanielW. ^

As a former DOH resident a frequent traveller to BAH I really enjoyed seeing the old places again.

Originally Posted by mkjr
me neither. nice TR. very odd to see such large aircraft fly such short flights.
BA's BAH<>DOH operates fifth freedom after LHR-BAH.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Excellent pics of probably my favourite part of the world ^ All these places may look similar but they each have their own individual character.

Have you been to Oman yet ? That'll spoil you for anywhere else
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunk
Excellent pics of probably my favourite part of the world ^ All these places may look similar but they each have their own individual character.

Thanks. I've driven to the northern part of Oman, as far as Sohar, but still have to see Muscat:

http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...-Oman-amp-Back
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

Great photo report on countries I don't know well. Thanks for giving a peek into them.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:03 am
Original Poster

My pleasure I have a couple more TR's in the works from this part of the world, Kyrgyzstan & Yemen.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
All these places may look similar but they each have their own individual character.
I agree. I sometimes refer to a place by a word that I feel encapsulates the place and people:

BAH = habibi central
DOH = akbar central
AUH = habibullah central
RUH = allah central
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by DanielW
My pleasure I have a couple more TR's in the works from this part of the world, Kyrgyzstan & Yemen.
I'm looking forward to reading them!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:18 am

+1 for Oman! Didn't like Dubai. Doha and Bahrain fall into that "I think I remember going there" category.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Thanks for posting DanielW!
You gave me a glimpse of my next Kuwait/Bahrein trip, the only 2 places I yet have to visit in the Gulf.
That fifth freedom UA for a KWI-BAH looks tempting, and the fare so far reasonable.
From what I can see the hotel rates in Kuwait are steep. What about the taxi?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
details?

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I agree. I sometimes refer to a place by a word that I feel encapsulates the place and people:

BAH = habibi central
DOH = akbar central
AUH = habibullah central
RUH = allah central

This seems intriguing - for those of us who don't know the language/customs, could you please elaborate on these?

I ask because I have a mileage run/mini-vacation to BAH (2 days) and KWI (3 days) in a few months, and am looking for insights into what I will see, hear, experience, etc., while I'm there.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
From what I can see the hotel rates in Kuwait are steep. What about the taxi?
Taxi from the hotel was 7 dinar, or about $25.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Great TR Daniel however, there really is no internationally credible map that would show "Arabian Gulf" in it save for the maps printed to appease the few states who have started this nonsense.

This is a made up name for the body of water that has historically been always regarded as The Persian Gulf by maps, treaties and other international refrences including documents by Greek geographers as far back as 2000 years ago!

I'm surprised you fell for this and actually titled your TR with this refrence.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
Great TR Daniel however, there really is no internationally credible map that would show "Arabian Gulf" in it save for the maps printed to appease the few states who have started this nonsense.

This is a made up name for the body of water that has historically been always regarded as The Persian Gulf by maps, treaties and other international refrences including documents by Greek geographers as far back as 2000 years ago!

I'm surprised you fell for this and actually titled your TR with this refrence.
Hi payam81. I live and work in the UAE. I was probably being a little paranoid, but I decided to defer to the local naming convention rather than the more widely accepted 'Persian Gulf' and risk upsetting anyone here in my adopted country.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by DanielW
Hi payam81. I live and work in the UAE. I was probably being a little paranoid, but I decided to defer to the local naming convention rather than the more widely accepted 'Persian Gulf' and risk upsetting anyone here in my adopted country.
Haha that actually is a very valid point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.