FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   A Trip Around The Arabian Gulf (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1523019-trip-around-arabian-gulf.html)

DL17 Nov 20, 2013 8:46 am

lol, yes that's true Daniel, if you live there I guess you need to :D

Sixth Freedom Nov 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Fantastic TR DanielW. ^

As a former DOH resident a frequent traveller to BAH I really enjoyed seeing the old places again.

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 21812662)
me neither. nice TR. very odd to see such large aircraft fly such short flights.

BA's BAH<>DOH operates fifth freedom after LHR-BAH.

dunk Nov 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Excellent pics of probably my favourite part of the world ^ All these places may look similar but they each have their own individual character.

Have you been to Oman yet ? That'll spoil you for anywhere else :)

DanielW Nov 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by dunk (Post 21823107)
Excellent pics of probably my favourite part of the world ^ All these places may look similar but they each have their own individual character.

Thanks:). I've driven to the northern part of Oman, as far as Sohar, but still have to see Muscat:

http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...-Oman-amp-Back

SanDiego1K Nov 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Great photo report on countries I don't know well. Thanks for giving a peek into them.

DanielW Nov 21, 2013 1:03 am

My pleasure:) I have a couple more TR's in the works from this part of the world, Kyrgyzstan & Yemen.

Sixth Freedom Nov 21, 2013 6:31 am

All these places may look similar but they each have their own individual character.

I agree. I sometimes refer to a place by a word that I feel encapsulates the place and people:

BAH = habibi central
DOH = akbar central
AUH = habibullah central
RUH = allah central

themapelligroup Nov 21, 2013 7:26 am

Originally Posted by DanielW (Post 21824748)
My pleasure:) I have a couple more TR's in the works from this part of the world, Kyrgyzstan & Yemen.

I'm looking forward to reading them!

CHSDOC Nov 22, 2013 7:18 am

+1 for Oman! Didn't like Dubai. Doha and Bahrain fall into that "I think I remember going there" category.

Forrest Bump Nov 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for posting DanielW!
You gave me a glimpse of my next Kuwait/Bahrein trip, the only 2 places I yet have to visit in the Gulf.
That fifth freedom UA for a KWI-BAH looks tempting, and the fare so far reasonable.
From what I can see the hotel rates in Kuwait are steep. What about the taxi?

discoverCSG Nov 23, 2013 8:45 am

details?

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 21825611)
I agree. I sometimes refer to a place by a word that I feel encapsulates the place and people:

BAH = habibi central
DOH = akbar central
AUH = habibullah central
RUH = allah central

This seems intriguing - for those of us who don't know the language/customs, could you please elaborate on these?

I ask because I have a mileage run/mini-vacation to BAH (2 days) and KWI (3 days) in a few months, and am looking for insights into what I will see, hear, experience, etc., while I'm there.

DanielW Nov 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump (Post 21835302)
From what I can see the hotel rates in Kuwait are steep. What about the taxi?

Taxi from the hotel was 7 dinar, or about $25.

payam81 Jun 9, 2016 9:00 pm

Great TR Daniel however, there really is no internationally credible map that would show "Arabian Gulf" in it save for the maps printed to appease the few states who have started this nonsense.

This is a made up name for the body of water that has historically been always regarded as The Persian Gulf by maps, treaties and other international refrences including documents by Greek geographers as far back as 2000 years ago!

I'm surprised you fell for this and actually titled your TR with this refrence.

DanielW Jun 11, 2016 12:59 am

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 26756061)
Great TR Daniel however, there really is no internationally credible map that would show "Arabian Gulf" in it save for the maps printed to appease the few states who have started this nonsense.

This is a made up name for the body of water that has historically been always regarded as The Persian Gulf by maps, treaties and other international refrences including documents by Greek geographers as far back as 2000 years ago!

I'm surprised you fell for this and actually titled your TR with this refrence.

Hi payam81. I live and work in the UAE. I was probably being a little paranoid, but I decided to defer to the local naming convention rather than the more widely accepted 'Persian Gulf' and risk upsetting anyone here in my adopted country.

payam81 Jun 11, 2016 7:39 am

Originally Posted by DanielW (Post 26761662)
Hi payam81. I live and work in the UAE. I was probably being a little paranoid, but I decided to defer to the local naming convention rather than the more widely accepted 'Persian Gulf' and risk upsetting anyone here in my adopted country.

Haha that actually is a very valid point. :D