Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Etihad Diamond First Class Turndown Service

\
*The bedding is a bit funny, you do get a duvet but no sleeping pad, what you do get is a fitting sheet that goes around the seat completely

Good Night

3 1/2 Hours in, just pass Turkey at this point

Just like the Jet Airways Boeing 777-300ER, stars on top of the ceiling

2 Hours later, I naturally woke up, how can you sleep when its like 3pm on a very long daytime flight

5 3/4 Hours in, passing Warsaw

And after 1/2 more hour of movies, I decided to have another bite, and this entire menu is way too big to be eaten by one person on a flight

EY 101 Snack Menu

Kitchen Anytime
A Selection of Sweet and Savory dishes for you to enjoy at any time during your flight

Mains
Garden Salad
Styled by your in-flight chef

Chef’s Sandwich
Your choice of filling served with oven-baked fries

The Etihad Steak Sandwich
Rocket leaves, turkey bacon, red onion compote, melted cheese served with grain mustard

Beef Pastrami Bagel
Horseradish cream spread, tomato and gherkin

Creamy Turkey and Mushroom Pie
Mashed potatoes with cranberries

Lamb Arayes
Za’atar potato wedges, ras al hanout humus

Roasted Tomato Soup
Sautéed pepper garnish

Cheese
Selection of international Cheese

Chocolate éclair trio
Dark, white, and mocha

Fresh Fruit Platter

Providore Natural Ice Cream – Selection of Flavours

Nibbles
Potato Crisps – Selection of flavours
Madeleines and Freshly Baked Cookes
Swedish Crisp Breads
Arabic Baklava

Went back to the Grill again, this time was the Corn-Fed Chicken on Veal Jus with Steamed White Rice

*Have to be mightily impressive with EY, fresh cooked meat on the flight taste great

Dessert, Quattro of Desserts
Mango Mascarpone Cheesecake, molten chocolate cake, green apple and lychee shot, ice cream

Finished the Snack just past Bergen, Norway, and slept on/off for the next 5 Hours

Part 7 Continues Below
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
The last service started around when we got to the Gaspe Peninsula, 2 hours out from New York.

Table Set-Up

Iced Coffee to start

I had another John Dory, not pictured, but the rest of the meal is below.

Salad, Garden Salad Styled by your in-flight chef

Soup, Roasted Tomato Soup with Sauteed Pepper garnish

Main Course, Vegetable Lasagne with Grilled Aubergines and Provencale Sauce

*Lasagna tasted just like the ones back home, yummy

Cheese Course

Baklava

*One is more sweet, one is less so

I also had another Ice Cream somewhere as part of the dessert.
Of course, when you go from country to country every single day like me, you start to forget things near the end, like taking a photo in this instance.

Finally started our descent at 3:25pm NYC time as we reach the Long Island Sound

Final Routing today for EY 101

EY has a landing camera on the 346

And at 3:57pm we finally landed on Runway 22L in JFK, now here comes the rush hour traffic.

15 Minutes later, we were finally parked into our gate at JFK Terminal 4.

Got to love the irony of having a Etihad 346 next to a EL Al 744, we’re just missing Saudia at this point

Thanks again Etihad Airways for a reasonably good flight

Next Part
Part 8 – One Faux Terminal, Delta’s Terminal in SoHo
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Thanks for the delightful TR.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
So jealous on the EY F segment! Was going to book ex-CMB F fare end of this year to try out EY F but AA pulled the plugged Going to miss that fare..
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Great trip report! It seems you sum up many trip reports into one! This will keep me occupied for a long time
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Excellent trip report Shf! Sad that I missed out on the CMB fares while they were still available. EY seemed to be bookable on Travelocity too, if one didn't want to go through a TA - though all that is moot now.

Still hoping to cash in some AA miles in the future to fly EY. Who did you end up crediting the EY flight to? Still to AA despite no EQM?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by shogunate03
Excellent trip report Shf! Sad that I missed out on the CMB fares while they were still available. EY seemed to be bookable on Travelocity too, if one didn't want to go through a TA - though all that is moot now.

Still hoping to cash in some AA miles in the future to fly EY. Who did you end up crediting the EY flight to? Still to AA despite no EQM?
AUH-JFK was booked under the AA code, so full EQM.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salfcl
Thanks for the delightful TR.
No problem salfcl, glad you're enjoying it

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
So jealous on the EY F segment! Was going to book ex-CMB F fare end of this year to try out EY F but AA pulled the plugged Going to miss that fare..
calvinoeh, EY F, it's a good product, but it's not the best thing since sliced bread good
I personally want to try EK/JL/QF F if I have the chance, those would be the next one I would try to go for if possible.
I'll miss the old ex-CMB fare, very useful for trying new products at a reasonable price
If you can get yourself out to ME, I would try to do EY F AUH-SYD, would make more sense burning less AA miles that way vs. going to the US.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Great trip report! It seems you sum up many trip reports into one! This will keep me occupied for a long time
Thanks very much themapelligroup, it's a conglomerate for sure.
I was thinking about breaking it up but I think this is the best way seeing I really cover all 5 continents in this one.
Well the continent definition can be up for debate
5 or 6 lol

shogunate03, I feel bad this was the only time I got to try the ex-CMB fare, you can just do alot of variety with the old one, routings/carriers/the whole 9 yds.
One to miss for sure, EY flight I credited to AA.
I just can't see how long term, AA keeps EY and QR as partner being so close in the region

Flight was EY 101 sold as AA 6006
or AA 6006 operated by Etihad Airways depending how you like to group it.
Anyway, AA code so earned AA EQM/EQP.

Overall the EY F was a big part of my EXP requal.
10% of the EQP requal was on that
I requal on like 20 something flights, and most of my EQP came from good fares this year
2x one way CX F HKG-CDG via RGN, 1.5 RT RJ Y JFK-AMM-BKK via RGN, 1 RT AA/LA J LGA-DFW-MIA-SCL.
Think the rest of my requal were a couple of transcon and 1 AA TPAC.

Originally Posted by tomofmaine
AUH-JFK was booked under the AA code, so full EQM.
You (tomofmaine) sir, are correct ^

Sorry no posting today, should be able to get a part up tomorrow.
That EY F part took alot out of me, the amount of photos I took
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

You (tomofmaine) sir, are correct ^
Ah I see. Now I really wish I had booked a CMB fare before it disappeared to help with EXP requal next year!

Oh well. I guess I'll instead be busy with trying to burn through UA points before the deval hits.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:27 am

You're crazy
Great report so far.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: All of 'em
Great TR.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by Petrus
You're crazy
Great report so far.
+1 on both statements

Etihad Airways 101 – Abu Dhabi to New York Kennedy (First Class)
Royal Jordanian Airlines 262 – New York Kennedy to Amman (Economy Class)
Royal Jordanian Airlines 182 – Amman to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (Economy Class)
I am guessing it must be difficult to move from EY F to RJ Y, probably you do not want to re-live that experience either by posting it here, and hence the slow updates after EY F!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Ah I see. Now I really wish I had booked a CMB fare before it disappeared to help with EXP requal next year!

Oh well. I guess I'll instead be busy with trying to burn through UA points before the deval hits.
Ah well shogunate03, one of those, you snooze, you lose but you can't win all of them
Considering the trick or treat UA people got on Halloween, better make that a priority ^

Originally Posted by Petrus
You're crazy
Great report so far.
Thanks for reading Petrus,
If a mod says ShF is crazy, it must be true

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Great TR.
Thanks Nekamah7, hope you enjoy the rest as well.

Originally Posted by quirrow
+1 on both statements
Etihad Airways 101 – Abu Dhabi to New York Kennedy (First Class)
Royal Jordanian Airlines 262 – New York Kennedy to Amman (Economy Class)
Royal Jordanian Airlines 182 – Amman to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (Economy Class)
I am guessing it must be difficult to move from EY F to RJ Y, probably you do not want to re-live that experience either by posting it here, and hence the slow updates after EY F!
Bahaha quirrow, double verified on ShF's craziness
It's a drop for sure, EY F > RJ Y but no where near as painful as flying my
MH/RJ/AA Y RGN - KUL - BKK - AMM - JFK - YYZ on August 2012.
That was 29 non-stop flying hours of flying Economy not including connection time

Going to be slowing down a little bit, there's alot of imaging to be done and I'm also need catching up on the writing in the back end.
I'll get the next part up in an hour or so
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
OK, EY First looks like one seriously great product. Now you've really got me looking forward to our IAD-AUH flight at the end of the month. At the moment, we are the only two F pax on the A345 gas guzzler. Francis, you've really stepped up your game with these pics. Sensational! ^
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
OK, EY First looks like one seriously great product. Now you've really got me looking forward to our IAD-AUH flight at the end of the month. At the moment, we are the only two F pax on the A345 gas guzzler. Francis, you've really stepped up your game with these pics. Sensational! ^
It's a good product, but slightly behind CX/SQ/NH F.
I would almost rank it near the old TK F, each had something in the "needs work" category, the real estate of the lounge needs help for sure
And again I say this, I love the closed-door suites but having the suites on the 346 just feels narrow, a difference between 8 seat wide (340s) vs. 9 seat wide (77Ws).
Glad you're enjoying the report thus far SFO777, definitely trying my best for sure ^
Just wait til I've gone "Beast Mode" later on this trip @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.