Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 12:54 am

Superb report, thanks for takig the time to write it.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Wonderful report SHF...I must ask, is it always so hazy/foggy in HKG? I've flown into HKG 3 times in the last 6 months and it always looks like your pictures and it's nearly impossible to take in the scenery. Looking forward to trying out the QF F lounge next winter!
Old May 7, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Epic and amazing report, Francis. Outstanding pics.
Would be interesting to tally up how many meals and kilos you consumed here.
Thank You SFO777
Interesting Question, I wonder if we have a FT Dietitian to calculate that one for me
Bet it won't be a pretty number

Originally Posted by Linda VH
Wow! Sad the trip is over - I enjoyed reading sooo much. Thank you!
Without One Trip Ending, another cannot, Linda VH. @:-)
Don't worry, there will be another SHF report at some time

Originally Posted by thearmada
Great trip report!
Thank You thearmada, glad you've enjoyed it

Originally Posted by Calchas
Great report as usual.

Additionally, there are 2 BA flights per day (one is an A380) and a VS flight.

LHR-HKG is a popular route. Last year HKG was the sixth most popular destination from LHR, with about 1.38 million passengers, just ahead of the most popular domestic route (domestic for now!) LHR-EDI, which had 1.36 million pax. For comparison, the most popular route is LHR-JFK which gets about twice as many pax (3 million).
Great to Hear Calchas, I prided myself in writing the most detailed TR (especially on flights) as best as I could.

Thank you for reminding me on the LHR-HKG, at least we know HKG doesn't only serve Mainland Chinese visitors nowadays

Originally Posted by LH4116
Well SH Francis it has finally come to an end, and I can't believe I've been following this report for six months. It must surely go down the annals as one of the more epic reports here on FlyerTalk as you've pretty much (or well almost…'ish ) managed to sample every premium product under the sun. Evangelisthood? Tell me where to vote!

After seeing Etihad's jaw dropping new products on the A380 the other day I can't help but think of today's Business/First cabins as dorm rooms, which technically they are albeit of the fancier kind. But needless to say the new Cirrius seats on Cathay still look like a fabulous product, and easily one of the top 5 Business Class products in the world. The reverse herringbone configuration is a real winner in my opinion, and I can't wait to try it out on EVA Air this summer.

What made me a little curious though was that you mentioned that the seats on the A330 are smaller than those on the 77W. Is this really true? To me they look pretty much identical in terms of size.

After having a look at the menu, I personally would have chosen the indian option as I tend to avoid red meat on planes. But then again I'm guessing that ordering an indian dish ex-Australia is a recipe for a bad meal? Nice enough that the crew found you the Chinese option, but I suppose it must've been a leftover from the inbound flight?

Anyways thanks for taking the time to finish up the report. I am eagerly awaiting the next one, but since you're a busy guy I guess it will take a while
6 Months for 60 Parts, I guess that is fair number when you've reminded me LH4116
Would've that be a pipe dream, sampled every premium product known to man
Evangelist? I don't see myself having 10000 post anytime soon, I'm not the type to reply on every little thread out there.
Etihad, well I wonder what will happen at some point in time when they run out of oil, it's almost mocking to be so decadent and wasteful
I doubt they will allow mileage redemption in the immediate future for that product similar to how SQ Suites originally came out

Cirrus is by far my favorite Business Product as I already listed
Of all the most recent J products out there, I have to say I concur with one of SFO777 TR, I hated that staggered, Delta 763 BusinessElite Seat

In photos, you probably can't tell very easy the differences for 333 vs. 77W Cirrus.
You can tell the difference while you're seated, It's usually an easy giveaway for me since I tend to sit crossleg while having the seat full flat, and my legs feel constricted a bit more on the 333 vs. on the 77W.
It's just one of those I can't explain very easily but it's like, when it's missing 1/2 or 1 inches, you know it's missing.
Plus the Angle of the Reverse Herringbone pointing towards the window is different as well^

I'll see if I can find some pics later on this topic!

Indian Option, problem is I'm not really a great eater of "Spicy" Food hence you don't tend to see that in my selections.
I think Red Meat is probably a safer choice ex-Australia
Not sure when the crew pulled out off the menu Chinese Option but I'll take it
We'll see about the next TR, it will happen in some points in time and I have a really good amount of photos sufficient for a TR, it's all about finding time.

Originally Posted by Markagh
Superb report, thanks for takig the time to write it.
Thanks Markagh, great to hear

Originally Posted by SFore
Wonderful report SHF...I must ask, is it always so hazy/foggy in HKG? I've flown into HKG 3 times in the last 6 months and it always looks like your pictures and it's nearly impossible to take in the scenery. Looking forward to trying out the QF F lounge next winter!
Again, like some of the others, thanks for sticking around and the continual contribution SFore

HKG isn't necessary always foggy/hazy but it's days of having blue skies is limited yes.
The Monsoon plays a big part in this and so does local pollution.
Winter is going to be affected with the dominating North and Easterlies which tends to bring pollution from the Mainland, and the lack of rain won't help either.
Spring is well, right now I think we've had like 3 good weather days in the last 30 days,
It just rains and rains and if not raining it's overcast.
Summer might be your best bet for clear skies here, pro-dominantly Southwest Winds from the South China Sea (moist but clean) and some showers here and there will clean the skies up.
Only problem is can you 1) Deal with 32C with 70%+ Humidity
2) The Occasional Typhoon

Fall brings drier Northeast Winds and generally the Sunny Weather but the winds battle it out and if you're really lucky,
Your most optimal HKG days are likely to be in here.

Precursor is to have rain the day prior and have a sunny day after and you will have a clean Blue Day.
It's not as easy as it seems since HKG is usually either dry or wet and not bouncing back and forth.

The Blue Skies only seem to hold up 2 days max since even local pollution will start to haze the skies after that.

However, even putting all that in prospect, blue skies doesn't even do that much good in HKG.
75% of the time, they are using 7L for landing, 7R for take-off
Coming into 7L, you come in around Lantau Island, up the Pearl River Delta and make the right turn in, all you can grab photos of is on the left side is faraway photos of Macau with this approach.
Right side gets Lantau Island

Departing 7R is your best bet, provided your destination (Taiwan/Japan/North America), you should be able to get some pics of Victoria Harbour
If you are heading towards a Westward or Southward Destination, they will make the right turn around Tsing Ma Bridge and chances are you won't get much of a view.

As for the 25% of the time, mostly Summertime
25L for Takeoff, all you get is the Lantau and under construction Hong Kong - Macau - Zhuhai Bridge
25R for Landing is an oddity, it's rare and your best shot for photos.
Your best chance of getting the HKG skyline is here when they make their gradual descent if you're seated on the left side.
The only issue is Lion Rock and the surrounding mountain tends to block a good portion of Kowloon when you try to take photos.

Hope that was a good insight for your use and a reasoning as to why I don't usually get a non-hazy HKG departure/arrival photos
Old May 9, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: SPG, A3, SQ, AA, AV, QT, VA, LH, EK
It has been a pleasure reading your report over the past few months and it is great to see it finished.

Looking forward to the next one!
Old May 9, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
As for one of the comments above-yes, HKG weather is not always sunny or clear like other cities where it rains less, though it is better than SFO/YVR/LON weather.
Old May 10, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Excellent Report! I enjoyed reading it in the past months. I hope you have a new RTW planned!!
I was wondering if you ever tried any of the middle east airlines (QR,EK,EY,etc) or if you have any plans on doing so.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tuchop
Excellent Report! I enjoyed reading it in the past months. I hope you have a new RTW planned!!
I was wondering if you ever tried any of the middle east airlines (QR,EK,EY,etc) or if you have any plans on doing so.
I have been booked on one as a result of IRROPS
Old May 13, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
What an epic adventure, I have been following from the start. Ms Spymon was also very impressed with your ability to consume such large quantities of airline food and less impressed at some of your crazy routings in case they give me any strange ideas...
Old May 16, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by csidler
It has been a pleasure reading your report over the past few months and it is great to see it finished.

Looking forward to the next one!
Thank You csidler for the readership

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
As for one of the comments above-yes, HKG weather is not always sunny or clear like other cities where it rains less, though it is better than SFO/YVR/LON weather.
I beg to disagree, I rather some cool and rainy weather vs. humid downpours.

Thank You tuchop, I've done another quickie RTW in April.
As to when can I write it, well that's whole another question
QR First I've been trying to find time
EY First has been written in this report and I've recently did the EY/9W F AUH-JFK.
EK First, i think others have covered that rather nicely.

Originally Posted by Spymon
What an epic adventure, I have been following from the start. Ms Spymon was also very impressed with your ability to consume such large quantities of airline food and less impressed at some of your crazy routings in case they give me any strange ideas...
Haha Spymon, I like my food that's for sure.

What crazy routing peaked your interest the most?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: None
Hello Short hair Francis. I just registered to this forum just to say thank you for this awesome Trip Report. Cheers from Norway!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TripReportLover
Hello Short hair Francis. I just registered to this forum just to say thank you for this awesome Trip Report. Cheers from Norway!
Sorry for the late reply TripReportLover, glad my report has peaked your interest to Flyertalk and Welcome
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
What a great and epic report. Thank you so much she. Hope to read such a report again. I spend nearly a week to read everything. Glad that I finished it today, as I only have 20 more hours here in Milan :-)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
After getting a clean shower and dropping my stuff off, it was time to cover some of the attraction on my outbound mini-stop.

St. Andrew’s Cathedral

I decided to go the Museum of Australian Currency Notes, which was on the bottom floor of the Reserve Bank of Australia at Martin Place

Historic Bills

World War 2 Era

First Version of Australian Dollar

The Current Australian Dollar Polymer Bills, no free samples

Other Places in the World using Polymer Bills

Now that’s a place I still need to go in the world

Part 59 Continues Below
Some funky notes there!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
I just finished reading it all again (last time was in parts- as you wrote it-). Amazing report, ShF! How long did it take to get fit again?
Hope you're enjoying your current trip! We're waiting for you to finish the other report + write the current one
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I just finished reading it all again (last time was in parts- as you wrote it-). Amazing report, ShF! How long did it take to get fit again?
Hope you're enjoying your current trip! We're waiting for you to finish the other report + write the current one
You're welcome, sometimes I feel writing a Report is good for leaving an impression and review of others as well as treasured memory for myself.

That's the best attitude I feel you have toward writing, dedication!
Get fit? Uh.. Never I think LOL

Ya, just finished my 2.5 week RTW last night and have to catch up some work.
Hopefully in 1-2 days I can get another part up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.