Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by SFO777
On BA? LOL. You'd be lucky just to get 1 main dish. Still haven't dumped them yet?
I literally have no other options.... I'm going at super peak. Plus with the added free onward ticket we booked one way to MIA and a return paid one way.

I've got the miles to add if I could get on emirates first but I have no access to any of their availability.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mpc7488
Still reading along on this epic TR. Thanks for the frequent posts, rest up and recuperate before Africa
Thanks mpc7488, I've tried to keep them as frequent as possible.
My health is much better thankfully

Originally Posted by LH4116
Nice continuation of your LH First adventure!

Interesting to see FCT being so empty. Was this due to the season, or is this simply how Lufthansa management wants their premium facilities to be?

Sorry to hear about the rude concierge in the FCT. And while I agree that lying to the customer should under no circumstances be tolerated. Did you consider sending a complaint to Lufthansa about the situation?

Shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops are on the other hand not really an acceptable attire when traveling in First Class or any other cabin (except for Air Asia) for that matter. Since the customer plays an equal part in the service delivery process, showing up underdressed at any high-end service establishment would only act to spoil the experience, not only for your fellow customers who have probably paid thousands of €/£/$, but also for the staff who take pride in their jobs. Maybe it's better to put on a proper pair of pants and shoes during future visits, to avoid these types of situations.

But if the concierge behaves the same to other customers on other occasions, then it's certainly more serious than a customer wearing the wrong attire.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the rest. Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Was nice for sure LH4116, might be partially be season, was mid-July.
However, as a F lounge, it is appropriate for LH management to have it like this. Lounge is designed to be a respite, not a Bazaar.

As you are a Lufthansa customer, more than me anyway, how well do you think they take complaints, especially on the M&M front.

I partially disagree, for clothes, I find it appropriate depending for destination, it was BKK, not the North Pole.
The concern shouldn't be on clothes, provided I put something on.
LH could have a "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service", and why I disagree on the pants too.
I also had jeans with me on that trip, but if I do the "sagging my underwear" routine, do that make me better, no likely because there is disgusting manners.

My issue is provided I have clothes on and not revealing any extra detail, be it boxers or the G string or sensitive body parts. I had plenty of girls in High School who did the Whaletail thing back in the day. No one should provide a dis-service at anytime and certainly not at the FCT.

I can't answer for other customers, didn't see that concierge serving others in the FCT.

Originally Posted by Jenzo
I have to disagree entirely. Why should you care how i dress? As long as i am not disturbing you in my behavior, i will wear what i like. If i am in F/J i wear whatever i wish, normally a t-shirt and shorts. The customer doesn't do anything for delivery of the service, i am there to enjoy my flight as comfortably as possible. I don't see how it can lower the service for the CC or any other pax, even when i pay thousands of £

SHF: Thanks for the TR, good as ever so far ^
Thanks Jenzo, glad to hear

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I hope you avoided the 700 baht tax!
(as it seems like you passed through BKK immigration.)
I did AA_EXP09, they overlooked it

OK, now that is one serious great looking dish. ^

Originally Posted by Short Hair Francis
Western Appetizer #3, Foie Gras Terrine and Coconut toast with Espresso cream

Full Service took a whopping 2 Hour 25 Minutes as I really went off the board and made a killing on the food department on this flight
Wow, you weren't kidding about that. I am duly impressed.
The Foie Gras, salty with sweet took a bit of adjusting but overall unique.

Bahaha, don't doubt me on that front SFO777
I promise though, the QF J in this TR or the JL F I did in Nov 13 is even better.
I single-handedly had about 75% of the F menu on that 14 hour flight

In my opinion that is a rather selfish point of view. You as a customer is also a part of somebody else's experience, and I would certainly not be happy about watching my seat neighbor's bare feet or hairy legs for 10 hours.
One issue, since it was 4/8 that night, nobody saw nobody that night, everyone had their own row which was really nice

If there is any form of interaction between the customer and the staff, then yes the customer does play a part in the service delivery. Especially in premium cabins where the crew often takes time to converse with the passengers. If you are rude to the staff, they will be rude to you. Much the same way, if you show up in beach attire at a fine restaurant, you shouldn't expect to be treated as well as the smart looking couple in the table beside you.
I agree, but I wasn't rude to the FCT concierge until he decided to out-right lie to me and got caught.
My interactions with the A FCL concierge should have strengthen that argument

It's more about showing respect to the staff and your fellow passengers who have also paid a substantial amount of money to fly J/F. I am not demanding that people should wear a suit, but rather to just wear something smart casual, like a nice pair of pants, a decent looking shirt/sweater/t-shirt and a clean pair of shoes.

Anyways from my own experience, I have noticed that the staff treats me better when I'm wearing a nice shirt, than if I'm wearing shorts and t-shirt.
The problem is he has no idea what my profile was outside of a F ticket and A3 Gold. In this age, I would never put a bet knowing how rich or not rich someone is.
I can be putting the beach look and be a billionaire. There is no way to know and no customer rep should ever guess that either

Then again, you might be right, it could be my A3 *G causing the issue

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
So when in F, you can request more than 1 main dish.

Will I be able to do this in F on BA?
Of course, outside of North American carriers, you should be able to.
That said, do not ask for seconds until all guests have had their 1st choice is common courtesy you should extend.

You should be able to for BA, provided they don't run out.
I had 2 BA F flight, one in 2011, one in 2012 and I was able to on both occasions.
Here's the Link
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post16604260
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post21169826

Originally Posted by ffI
Some people fly to get to various places. I think SHF flies to eat!
Bahaha ffi, I do go to places, but when I'm commuting via HKG-YYZ, what am I going to write about HKG or YYZ lol
That said, I know I might not be able to fly in F so I cherish those F moments,both in food and in photos.

Originally Posted by ffI
Well said. Although my attire is more casual, it is not beach casual in intl F.
It usually isn't but when it's 30C+ everywhere, including FRA, can you blame me?
As I said, very bad customer experience, never should judge by covers.

Originally Posted by lucycan
Totally awesome! So jealous. I LOVE how Lufthansa gives you a chair AND a bed in the 1st class! Good use of space for the upper deck!
Great to hear lucycan, it's a great bed, even when you wake up, just lying in bed, look out the windows and have a book or kindle to read.
One issue, watching the TV while in the bed isn't that easy.

Originally Posted by hau cheng
Great reports SHF. Im sorry the attendant at the FCL was so rude. Personally, what does it matter what you were wearing? You were flying first class, having a paid ticket. Hope your illness improves.
Thanks hau cheng, I agree, it's not like I stole a First Class ticket from them either.
Illness is all heal up now thankfully.

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
On BA? LOL. You'd be lucky just to get 1 main dish. Still haven't dumped them yet?
I literally have no other options.... I'm going at super peak. Plus with the added free onward ticket we booked one way to MIA and a return paid one way.

I've got the miles to add if I could get on emirates first but I have no access to any of their availability.
Tony3021990, if it's your 1st time on BA, I say enjoy it.
SFO777 just seems to be cursed on BA, be it crew strike, or 388 mechanicals.

Here's my point on New First Class, (short of Iran Air or Air Koryo), always give it one chance, you never know, document it, take pics for the memories and enjoy it.

What I will say about BA, I agree with SFO777 partially
Check-in/Security can be set-up better. The Fast-Track set-up isn't optimal
Lounge, it's ok, I agree the booths in the restaurant are like high-walls.
Train System in T5 isn't great either
Boarding is a crapshoot, you better pray not to be stuck in the LHR Gate A10 where all the bus gates are
Cabin is more J+ than True F nowadays, with the likes of CX/SQ/EK
Service is ok, never been threaten about being arrested for too many photos yet (fingers crossed)
Food is average, I haven't had struck-out that badly like him
Beverage, can't answer too much, not a big drinker

I'm not saying BA F is great, because it's not, can think of 10 F better than BA.
CX, EK, EY, LH, LX, JL, KE, NH, OZ, QF, QR, SQ right off my head is better than them.
I am reserve about AA 77W F and TG at this point, if you have had TG food, would really give you 2nd thoughts

But F is F at the end of the day, so give it one shot, take some pics and enjoy it with the Mrs.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Thai Airway International 606
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi to Hong Kong
Scheduled - 4:00pm – 7:45pm, 2 hr 45 min flight
Delayed Departure – 4:08pm, Catering Delay and Late Boarding Complete
On Time Arrival – 7:45pm
Business Class, Seat 24B
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Boeing 747-400 (9F/40J/325Y Configuration)

I am blown away at how much the crew can get done on this flight. Under three hours, full meal service, a few rounds of drinks and desert. Every exec of every US airline should have to fly this route and learn what customer service really is.

Enjoy following along SHF - keep it up!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
One issue, since it was 4/8 that night, nobody saw nobody that night, everyone had their own row which was really nice
Yeah I suppose in-flight it wouldn't be a big deal since everyone puts on their pyjamas anyway.

In Business Class (especially 2-2-2 configuration with ottomans) where there is less privacy, then maybe the bare feet issue would be seen as more relevant. Oh well there is a whole thread about that at the BA board, quite hilarious actually.

I can be putting the beach look and be a billionaire. There is no way to know and no customer rep should ever guess that either.
Yes, nowadays looks can be deceiving. In Scandinavia particularly where we have the "law of jante" system, it's very difficult to tell whether a person is wealthy or not by looking at his clothes. A few year's ago a good friend of mine in Norway and I were joined by a man at our table in a local bar. At first glance I thought the man was a fisherman, but it turned out he was an executive at a major oil company.

Then again, you might be right, it could be my A3 *G causing the issue.
A3 Gold and *A First awards are Lufthansa's two major frustrations.
Funny enough though, one Lufthansa executive once expressed the following feelings toward partner F redemption passengers "we want these pests out of our cabins". I am sure the same man must've been responsible for the MUC-YYZ floodgate, and who allegedly upon realizing his mistake smashed his laptop into pieces out of sheer frustration. Of course at the time the damage was already done, and more than 1000 seats were booked in a single day. That's karma! ^

As you are a Lufthansa customer, more than me anyway, how well do you think they take complaints, especially on the M&M front.
Usually LH are known to do whatever they can to not compensate passengers. I once submitted a complaint for a 10 hour tech delay on the LH website. No reply via e-mail or whatsoever. But two months later, I see a Lufthansa envelope land in my mailbox "-Great, here comes those €600 vouchers!" I thought. But no, all I got was a long and frankly pointless explanation to why they chose not to compensate me. The fact that they chose to send me a letter via post came as the biggest insult.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
I am blown away at how much the crew can get done on this flight. Under three hours, full meal service, a few rounds of drinks and desert. Every exec of every US airline should have to fly this route and learn what customer service really is.

Enjoy following along SHF - keep it up!
It's pretty good to be honest Madone59, a comparable would be a LGA-ORD in terms of flight time.
I tend to take either CX or TG on this route and I find the CX service quicker, but TG has a more consistent J, the angled one except the 380

Yeah I suppose in-flight it wouldn't be a big deal since everyone puts on their pyjamas anyway.

In Business Class (especially 2-2-2 configuration with ottomans) where there is less privacy, then maybe the bare feet issue would be seen as more relevant. Oh well there is a whole thread about that at the BA board, quite hilarious actually.

Yes, nowadays looks can be deceiving. In Scandinavia particularly where we have the "law of jante" system, it's very difficult to tell whether a person is wealthy or not by looking at his clothes. A few year's ago a good friend of mine in Norway and I were joined by a man at our table in a local bar. At first glance I thought the man was a fisherman, but it turned out he was an executive at a major oil company.

A3 Gold and *A First awards are Lufthansa's two major frustrations.
Funny enough though, one Lufthansa executive once expressed the following feelings toward partner F redemption passengers "we want these pests out of our cabins". I am sure the same man must've been responsible for the MUC-YYZ floodgate, and who allegedly upon realizing his mistake smashed his laptop into pieces out of sheer frustration. Of course at the time the damage was already done, and more than 1000 seats were booked in a single day. That's karma! ^

Usually LH are known to do whatever they can to not compensate passengers. I once submitted a complaint for a 10 hour tech delay on the LH website. No reply via e-mail or whatsoever. But two months later, I see a Lufthansa envelope land in my mailbox "-Great, here comes those €600 vouchers!" I thought. But no, all I got was a long and frankly pointless explanation to why they chose not to compensate me. The fact that they chose to send me a letter via post came as the biggest insult.
Weirdly I've always use my own jammies and save the airlines one at home, either as gift or for the shelter.
Bare feet ha, not everyone sleeps with socks on

Got to love the Scandinavian for that one, nowadays it's reality.

And I find the Lufthansa frustration to be unwarranted on both of those issues, you reap what you sow, and if you want to reap the benefits of *, well you also have to put out, the A3 *G and the F rewards.
It's not like LH isn't getting paid, might not be optimal maximization, but 100% isn't reality either

See, you already proved my point, I fly F or J tickets on them and almost never use their paid fares, haha

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jan 8, 2014 at 9:45 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Part 47 – South African Airways Business Class HKG - JNB - CPT

After 3 weeks of humid summer Hong Kong weather, it was time to go to South Africa, Namibia and Australia for a 2 weeks long “Summer Retreat”

Aug 6, 2013 – Tuesday
SA 287 HKG – JNB 11:50pm – 7:05am(+1)[Aug 7] (343/J)
Aug 7, 2013 – Wednesday
SA 323 JNB – CPT 10:05am – 12:25pm (346/J)

After scrambling with all the last minutes preparations for Africa, the family got ready and we left the apartment just around 6:30pm, a bit earlier then usual for our usual red-eye departures but we planned for dinner at the airport.
With all the traffic plus riding on public transportation tonight, we got to the airport around 8pm. Due to such early departure, SAA counters weren’t open until 8:30pm so we decided to get Mama SHF checked in at the Cathay Pacific Check-in.
And with our split flights tonight, Mama SHF on CX/BA and me and dad on SA, we decided to go separate ways for the lounges tonight

South African Airways Check-In

For some reason tonight, the contracted SAA agent decided to input all my other flight tickets into the system for South Africa immigration. Of course, with travel plans like mine, sadly that meant it took considerable time to add each individual ticket so 1 for CPT-WDH, 1 for WDH-JNB-SYD-MEL, and 1 for MEL-SYD-HKG. All in all, that took around 15 minutes before we got all the boarding passes issued.

By the time check-in procedures were completed, we were starving since we haven’t had dinner so off to the Singapore Airlines lounge. Later on, HKG apron finally assigned gate 33 for tonight’s departure to Johannesburg. So with that gate assignment, myself and dad went off to the Thai Airways Orchid lounge from 10pm onwards. And finally at 11pm, we went to gate 33 for departure.

South African Airways Airbus 340-300

And like my usual self, I decided to be elite gate lice and after lining up for 10 - 15 mins, boarding started at 11:20pm for business class only since the Economy cabin wasn’t ready for boarding.

*51st Flight, 125618 Miles flown since Apr 28
South African Airways 287
Hong Kong to Johannesburg O.R. Tambo
Scheduled - 11:50pm – 7:05am(+1), 13 hr 15 min flight
Delayed Departure – 11:54pm, Aircraft Loading Delay
Delayed Arrival – 7:09am(+1)
Business Class, Seat 15H
Food – Dinner, Breakfast
Equipment – Airbus 340-300

Seems to be the feature of African flight ex-HKG, the luggage weigh

South African Airways Airbus 340-300 Front Business Class Cabin

South African Airways Airbus 340-300 Back Business Class Cabin

South African Airways Airbus 340-300 Business Class Seat

The South African Airways Airbus 340-300 has 2 cabin, a main Business Class cabin with 24 seats between door 1 and 2, with a mini Business Class cabin with 12 seats door 2 aft. I decided to pick back to back seats in the mini cabin since the main Business class cabin was already pretty much picked out when I got this ticket. Upon getting to my seats, I started getting some photos of the seat, but damn, was it sticky, dirty and filthy at the seat, YUCK! I finally gave up and went to the washroom for some wet towelettes to clean the seat console up.

Sticky and Dirty Console Pic Here

And being seated in the mini-cabin, bad thing is that all the economy passengers have to go through the cabin and somebody sat next to my dad at 16K while my neighboring seat remained open. Pax door were closed on time and the purser came around to check the manifest, guess the guy next to my dad try to “self-upgrade” and got booted back to the back. And with my luck, the only empty J seats en-route 15K and 16K. Now that is good luck with a 36/38 cabin.

Pre-Departure Champagne with the Water Bottle placed prior to Boarding

In the meanwhile, I was trying to get the seat full-flat to take a photo but the seat wasn’t cooperating tonight and the flight was full.

There was a slight delay in getting pushed back due to waiting some last minute bag, and the cargo door was closed at 11:54pm, pushback was 10 mins later and finally airborne about 25 past midnight HKG time, and with the slow 343 climb we took off toward the Southwest in the direction of Hainan Island.

South African Airways Inflight Entertainment

Part 47 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jan 8, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

And somehow the flight map thought I’m flying somewhere South of West Africa

After takeoff, the crew had to manually set my seat in a comfortable seating position, but I did note to the crew, if worse comes to worst, there still was 1 open J seat left next to my dads

Flying past Hainan Island

Canapés as well as drinks were given out shortly after takeoff and the flight attendants started taking an appetizer or soup choice as well as a main course choice

Hot Towel to Start

Starter Drinks with Canapes

South African Airways Dining Menu

SA 287 Dinner

Appetizer
A choice of Two Appetizers to be Enjoyed as a light meal or a starter

Smoked Salmon Tartar
With Grilled yellow and red capsicum, wasabi mayonnaise dressing and mixed lettuce
Or
Soup of The Day “Cream of Pumpkin Soup”

Seasonal Salad
Offered with a choice of Balsamic Dressing and Thousand Island Dressing

Bread Basket
Filled with an Assortment of Warm fresh Breads served with butter

Main Course
Grilled Beef Fillet
Accompanied by Mashed Potato with Semi-Dried Tomato and Parsley roasted pumpkin wedge, grill zucchini and Herbed mushroom Sauce

Braised Chicken Thigh
With glutinous rice with Medjool Dates, Cauliflower, Shitake Mushroom and Soya Sauce

Grilled Ling Fish
Served with Leek risotto, roasted red & yellow capsicum, broccoli and creamy spinach

Bow Tie Noodles
Accompanied by Red capsicum sauce and Broccoli

Dessert
Lychee and Passion Fruit Mousse Cake
Or
Haagan Dazs Ice Cream

Cheese Plate
A Selection of Fine Cheeses and crackers, served with South African Port Wine

Emmental, Brie, and Danish Blue Cheese

Wine Menu

Appetizer Tray

Appetizer, Smoked Salmon Tartar

Salad

Running into the same problem a la. SFO777

Bread Basket

Soup, took it up as an extra offering

*Normally it is either appetizer or soup, but they had extra soup onboard

Main Course, Grilled Beef Fillet

Dessert, Lychee and Passion Fruit Mousse Cake

Green Tea to finish the Service

Service finally finished 2 hours after take-off and lights was shortly switched off for the long night flight ahead.

And after spending another 1 hour re-adjusting photos and writing for a bit, I decided to sleep off the night as well

Additional Turn-Down Water

Part 47 Continues Below
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

For some odd reason, the electronic recline for my seat auto-fixed itself, talk about scratching heads

Full Flat, these photos doesn’t quite does it full justice

*More pics provided on the JNB – CPT flight

And after getting just around 5 hours of sleep through, woke up to find the amenity kits I left on the seat next to me was stolen. What the eff?!? Apparently its not the 1st time SA crew have seen this happen. They did eventually found me 1 back thankfully.

And in the middle of the long overnight flight, I decided to head to the galley for some snacks but none was to be had other than small packets of chocolate chip cookies, better than nothing I guess.

Soon, I fell back to sleep for another 3 hours.

And around 1 hour 30 Minutes out from Jo’bourg, a breakfast of served.

*As you can see, the yellow line is completely gone nuts

SA 287 Full Breakfast
A full breakfast will be served approximately two hours prior to landing

Selected Fruit Juices
Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Natural or Fruit-Flavored Yogurt
Cereal (Museli or Cornflakes)

Bread Basket
Filled with an assortment of Warm Fresh Breads and Pastries served with Butter and Preserves

Main Courses
Mushroom Omelette
Served with Nuernberger Sausage, Sauteed Spinach, Cherry Tomato and Lyonnaise Potato

Or
Shanghai Noodle
With Bean Sprout, Carrots and Mushroms, accompanied by Shrimp & chive Dumpling, meat ball, and Chicken & Scallop Bun

Express Service
For your convenience we also offer an express service, so affording you more time to work or rrelax while on board

Our Express Breakfast consists of Natural or Flavored Yogurt, cereal, sliced seasonal fresh fruit and a selection of bread
Upon your request this meal will be served 1 Hour 30 Minutes prior to Landing

Beverage and Croissant Service
This selection will be offered 45 Minutes prior to Landing

Apple Juice to Start

Tray Starters

Fruit Plate

Cereal

Yogurt

Main Course, Mushroom Omelette

Crossing into Africa along the Mozambique Coast

The Flight Map still think Johannesburg isn’t the Destination

And around 6:40am JNB time, we started descent into Gauteng.

Part 47 Continues Below
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

With the strong headwind and a large amount of wide body that arrives at the time of the hour, we were waiting behind a group of passenger coming from the SA BOM flight.
Sadly with BOM flight comes BOM personality, so while in line for ZA immigration; a BOM couple in typical fashion tries to cut in line of everyone.
The line was the metal barrier type that has drilled fixed to the ground. So while this husband got ahead of everyone, the wife got left behind lol.
And for the 1st time since god knows how long, myself and Dad finally saw eye to eye on something, bahaha.

Both of us stood next to each other plus 2 rollaboard blocked the entire lane from the wife from cutting as well. Obviously the wife was a bit pissed off, then I actually got pissed off enough to called her out and put her in her place, it’s your husband whom’s crap and tried to cut in front of everyone in a queue and left you behind, now you’re trying to cut, forget it, wait in line and learn how to queue like the rest of the Western World

Sadly with all the widebodies arrival, it took just over 40 mins for both myself and my dad to clear immigration. Mama SHF was already cleared immigration from her CX flight and waiting outside customs so I had to help her check-in with her BA Comair flight.

Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport

Then yet again we went to our separate ways, she went into the Slow Lounge, the BA Comair Lounge and me and dad went into the SA Baobab Business Class Lounge.
Mama definitely got the better lounge of the group.

Johannesburg O.R Tambo Domestic South African Airways Baobab Lounge

Sighting some rare planes for me, anyway

*52nd flight, 126408 Miles flown since Apr 28
South African Airways 323
Johannesburg O.R. Tambo to Cape Town
Scheduled – 10:05am – 12:15pm, 2 hr 10 min flight
Actual Departure – 9:59am
On Time Arrival – 12:13pm
Business Class, Seat 5H
Food – Snack
Equipment – Airbus 340-600

At 9:10am, we headed down to the bus gate for our SA 340-600 to CPT.
There were any signs displaying the flight info at the gate but regardless a queue already began.

And around 9:25am, the gate agent started boarding the buses with Business Class and elite passengers boarding first. However the bus was later mixed with Economy Class passengers as well.
Took 10 minutes to get to the plane as it was parked passed the international gates, luckily I was the lucky one who chose the correct door on the bus to exit first so I did get the cabin photos for this flight.

Momma is on the BA Comair 734 to CPT

Not too sure I want to fly these guys

South African Airways Airbus 340-600

Part 47 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:21 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:54 am
Original Poster

South African Airways Airbus 340-600 Business Class Cabin

If I didn’t cover the Business Class Seat of the 343, the 346 is the same as well.
Here are more pics

I ended up having a dead head captain seated next to me at row 5, but later shifted to 4H after takeoff due to other open aisle/window combos.

Captain announced a quick exact 2 hours to Cape Town with heavy rain in the forecast for Cape Town. Door were closed at 10:02am, on time and airborne just around 20 minutes after that.

For some reason, the whole entertainment system didn’t work on the plane hence the only entertainment was this

Or this

And soon after take-off, the crew came around to serve a snack, it really was a snack.
Choice today was a Chicken Salad Sandwich or a Vegetable Sandwich.

Finally we descent around 11:50am, during which was mostly overcast, until final approach into Cape Town, which cleared out in certain parts while was drenching in others, sadly the airport was in the latter category.
First time in Africa ever, hoping for a fun and safe time

Next Part
Part 48 – A Stormy Hour at Cape Agulhas and Where is the Bloody Hyatt!!!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Part 48 – A Stormy Hour at Cape Agulhas and Where is the Bloody Hyatt!!!

Arrival into Cape Town

Finally at Cape Town, SA 323 ended up just on time, parked at 12:13pm and with the huge walk from the gate to the arrival gate plus other delays at the rental car counter. Sadly, we didn’t make it out of the airport until 1:15pm.

With the plan today, simply drive from Cape Town airport to the Hyatt Oubaai Resort in George while visiting Cape Agulhas, the southernmost point of Africa.
Unfortunately with some of the onset delays plus unusual slow driving on my part, it would start to bite on me later in the day.

There is always a risk when going to a destination when its low season, whether it is a hot and humid place with horrible mosquito population and unbearable heat (eg. Myanmar in Summer) or its short daylight time with cold rain (eg. Vancouver in winter). You take the risk with the low prices for low season travel.

These were one of those bad days sadly. Periodical Heavy Rain mixed with all day rain showers were hampering our travel speeds significantly today. And our little VW Polo weren’t the best at climbing hills on the B2 either. It took around 2 hours from Cape Town airport to Bredasdorp, which was 30 minutes away from Cape Agulhas , plus the latter drive to George, that would mean driving in the dark for sure.
Just my luck, driving in the dark in Africa the 1st day we are here.

Finally, we arrived at Cape Agulhas at 4pm, and drove around for a short while. Attempted to get out of the car for photos, but in the end, simply wasn’t possible as the winds were howling over 40 km/h with the rain.
Had to resort the stick to photos in the car, and please don’t bring up idea of an umbrella, it blew away

So close yet so far, we finally got to the pebble road turnoff for Cape Agulhas. But the last 350 meters were filled with knee high ditches that our little car couldn’t passed through. It’s really moments like this that makes you wanna cry

That is biting me for sure, after picking up some supplies, mainly bottled water, dried snacks and bread, we headed towards George, and with sundown just around 5:45-6pm, I had to get back to the B2 from Cape Agulhas as fast as possible to get better driving conditions since these regional road weren’t in the best shape with little if any turnoff areas and no reflective material on the road for night driving.

Part 48 Continues Below
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Luckily I did make it to B2 around 5:30pm so the rest of the drive wasn’t nearly as hard. Additionally driving at night does have 1 advantage, no one follows the speed limit of 120 km/h, everyone was doing 140-150, so do it like a local obviously.
Finally the last issue that ensued the day, where is the bloody Hyatt???

The GPS had no idea, no petrol station attendent had any ideas either.
Luckily I remember something mentioned in the website talking how close it was to George Airport, so after turning around George in the dark for about 15 minutes. We found the Hyatt Resort hidden in Oubaai, you know it’s real bad when the GPS said you’re on an unnamed road. Yikes!!!
So for anyone else that is going, bring a printed road instruction would be smart.

We finally arrive at the Hyatt Oubaai Resort at 8pm, even the gate guard was surprised people showed up this late. Luckily the resort didn’t have many Diamond Members staying over this time of the year.
They also provide a golf cart service to transport you between the parking lot and the lobby, rather useful in a day when it’s raining cats and dogs.

Hyatt Regency Oubaai Golf Resort and Spa, taken during the daytime obviously

Regency Club Rooms are part of the Main Building that houses the Reception Lobby and the Daytime Restaurant while other rooms are bit off towards the side.

Regency Club was closed during the Low Season so was given the Full Buffet Breakfast instead in the morning

With 3 remaining Diamond Suite Upgrade, this was as good as a place to use it.
We had the Regency Club Suite for 2 nights, the only fallback, the shower is more meant for a couple vs. a family.

Part 48 Continues Below
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Diamond Amenity Kit, and Mama SHF actually loved a souvenir enough to take one home!

After getting settled in, the family decided for a 9pm dinner at the hotel restaurant Waterside Grill.

And I don’t usually do food pics except on a plane, but here is a go anyhow.

Bread to Start, it is definitely not cheap if you want Good Western bread in HKG

We went with the Waterside Platter for one, as a starter for the table

And my love of oyster continues, Mossel Bay Wild Oysters

Taste is a neutral in my opinion, not very watery nor creamy

Sauteed Seasonal Vegetables and Mushroom

Mama SHF’s Salmon and Prawn Salad with Japanese Homemade Dressing

Dad’s Grilled Free Range Karan Sirloin Steak Cooked Medium Rare

My own, gotta eat local, Charcoal Grilled Ostrich Medallion cooked Rare

For dessert, I was the only one to have it
Crème Brulee with Lavender Sorbet and White Chocolate Pearls

Part 48 Continues Below
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

How did we think about the meal, Sushi well, its South Africa, if you are gonna go in with a Japanese expectation, this is not the place for you.
Oyster was good.
Side Dishes, I like the both option but at the same time, they were very salty and the salt/pepper wasn’t spread out evenly making things worse.
The cuts themselves are good, I like the Ostrich but again, it taste great in certain parts while others were horribly salty.
That being said, it was our 1st meal ever in South Africa, they might just cook more
heavy handed than us back home.

For reference to the Menu, please click below
http://oubaai.regency.hyatt.com/cont...April_2013.pdf

With a late dinner, we finally finished around 10:30pm and my dad retired to the bed shortly while I still had to plan out tomorrow’s day in Western Cape.
Expected Weather for tomorrow – 8 – 12 Celsius, Heavy Rain, turning into Showers later in the day, finally clearing out.

Ouch, have to plan another rain-proof day…
I finally went off to bed around 11:30pm, wake-up calls 6am!

Probably need to fix the drains on the Balcony

Or the Roof I swear there was a bucket there last night

Next Part
Part 49 – Traversing the Garden Route of Western Cape
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I didn't love the food we had in SA. It was fine, but nothing special. Food is not the reason to go to SA.

That said, the ostrich looked very good. If you hadn't said anything, I would have mistaken it for beef.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.