Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Roland’s Column, Bell Tower

The Walled City walk with some extra touring inside the city took me close to 1:30pm

Time for a brief lunch

By 3:00pm, we made our way back to the Dubrovnik Bus Station

The Drive Back to Split

One More Day down in Croatia, and another early flight tomorrow ahead to Zagreb.
No more early wake-up call please
Ah Shoot Me

Next Part
Part 40 – Crying for Former Love, Zagreb, Croatia
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
ShF great pics in Mostar, the contrast between life (modern buildings) and "death" (the destroyed buildings) was shocking, considering Bosnia is at the center of Europe and the events occurred less than 20 years ago...
I had a chance to climb to the top of the bank building across from the rebuilt gymnasium...
It's a shocking yet unique experience...
Great pics!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jfkeze
ShF great pics in Mostar, the contrast between life (modern buildings) and "death" (the destroyed buildings) was shocking, considering Bosnia is at the center of Europe and the events occurred less than 20 years ago...
I had a chance to climb to the top of the bank building across from the rebuilt gymnasium...
It's a shocking yet unique experience...
Great pics!
Thanks jfkeze, I agree the modern and destroyed building is a great contrast and really brings out the characteristic of the town.

Is the bank building the one right at the city center near the town hall, I might have an idea what you are talking about
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Part 40 – Crying for Former Love, Zagreb, Croatia

To get to Ljubljana the fastest from Split most days of the week, it was to fly Split – Zagreb then take a train Zagreb – Ljubljana. So this is exactly what I did, half day trip in Zagreb followed by a another half day trip in Ljubljana, man I’m pushing destinations and countries in a big way…

Jul 12, 2013 – Friday
OU 651 SPU – ZAG 6:15am – 7:00am (320/Y)

Waking up at another un-godly hour, when is this trend going to end…

FlyingNynaeve dropped me off at Split airport at 5am, more than enough time to catch the domestic Croatian flight to Zagreb.

Split Airport

Croatia Airlines Business Class Check-In

As the only contracted lounge is located in the int’l section of the airport, there are no lounges available prior to the flight.

Sunrise at 5:50am

Croatia Airlines Airbus 320-200

*43rd flight, 99373 Miles flown since Apr 28
Croatia Airlines 651
Split to Zagreb
Scheduled – 6:15am – 7:00am, 45 min flight
Actual Departure – 6:08am
On Time Arrival – 6:56am
Economy Class, Seat 4D
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – Airbus 320-200

Boarding again was a free-for-all on this flight but we did get door closes on time

I was able to get the 1st row of Economy on this flight and with no middle seat partner, I ended up opening up the middle seat divider as well

32 Minutes flight time to Zagreb and only a water service for this short flight

And around 6:40am, we made our descent into Zagreb, outside temperature was 16 degrees, the coolest I’ve had the whole trip except for Calgary.

Zagreb Airport

As I had miss the 7 and 7:30am, I resorted to catching the airport bus to the central Zagreb bus station at 8am which took me to the bus station by 8:30am

King Tomislav Statue and Zagreb Art Pavilion

Ban Jelačić Square

Part 40 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:15 am
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Zagreb Catherdal

Stone Gate

St. Mark’s Church

My main stop planned for Zagreb was the Museum of Broken Relationships, I won’t be the first and certainly won’t be the last to have that feeling.
And yes, I’m still looking for Mrs. SHF

Museum of Broken Relationship

Part 40 Continues Below
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Sometimes gifts we receive or give do leave us lasting memories in our relationships, past and present..

Some of the more Erotic Section

Fit for a Flyertalker, Air Sickness bag as a gift

*A range of air-sickness bags as a memento of a long distance relationship, one Croatia Airlines, Lufthansa, Hapag Lloyd, I also have the safety instructions as well showing what to do when the plane falls apart. I have never found any instructions on what to do when a relationship begins to falls apart, but at least I still have these bags

What guy would buy their girlfriend/fiancée/DW this for a gift?
From “Belgrade, Sebria”

*The story is that a husband of 3 yrs bought these for the wife for use during intercourse because the fake ones are bigger than the wive’s one, needless to say, the husband got divorced, idiots!

This one more of the “Fifty Shades of Grey” designation

A Toy “Kilkenny, Ireland”

*The Toy Description – Fun Times, I donated this because it reminded me of some of the fun times we had, the bedroom was also a very intimate and beautiful time. The years I’ve spent with you have been the best times of my life. You would say we even had a SCREAM!

Lingerie, “Winterthur, Switzerland”

*This was what he thought was of as “romantic”, a thong made of candy. I laughed but never took it out of the package. He never bought me flowers because flowers, he said were for boring people. Instead I got sausages or new parts for my bicycle. I didn’t mind because I loved him. After 4 years, he turned out to be as cheap and shabby as his presents. He cheated on me with a colleague from the office and dumped me via email

Bad memories for me, no I didn’t break on Skype but kinda similar

*Another pair of sadness over Long Distance Relationships

Just sad

“I really want it to work out!” President Obama

A white and a brown teddy bear for a “Bi-Ethnic” Relationship

*From a Singapore couple Malay/Chinese couple who’s family disagreed on the relationship

Pushy Animals are requirement for relationships

*It began so sweet, just like these two little dogs in love, and it ended in pure monkey business

Part 40 Continues Below
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Should’ve bought one of these note-pads

I’m having a Great Time/All by Myself
You are the One/But I’d rather have none
You are Perfect/it’s just bad time
Could Look at you for hours/I just want you see you leave
I love our long walks/it’s time to go our separate ways

*Sorry for blurry photo

Lotrščak Tower

Zagreb Funicular

And around 11:25am, I made my way back to the Zagreb Main Railway Station for 12:30 train to Ljubljana

Zagreb Glavni Kolodvor

Part 40 Continues Below
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

A Prayer Room in the Railway Station

Train was barely on time

Train left on time for the 2 Hour Train Ride to Ljubljana, Slovenia

About 45 minutes, we reach the Slovenian/Croatian border at Dobova where immigration official came onboard the train for document checks.

Time to nap for a little bit, another crazy half day trip coming right up..

Next Part
Part 41 – How do you Pronounce this, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Part 41 – How do you Pronounce this, Ljubljana, Slovenia

Finally a new country, Slovenia, I’ve been looking forward to going up towards the highlands as Dalmatia had been very hot and humid.
I got to Ljubljana, pronounced as "lyoob-lyAH-nah" around 2:30pm at the Central Railway Station

Since I had a 14 hour turn, 3pm – 5:30am stop in Ljubljana, Slovenia, I finally went for a very low-cost option.

ShF is finally staying at a hostel, 23 bucks a night but I really need a bed and storage space so whateves.

Zeppelin Hostel

*Walking that staircase at 3am with no lights was sure-out dangerous

After dropping my stuff off, it was time to head out for a 1/2 day tour

Did I go to Slovenia or the Confederate States? The NRA?!?

Franciscan Church of the Annunciation

Prešeren Square and Triple Bridge

Part 41 Continues Below
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Summer Dancing at Prešeren Statue

*A Ljubljana thing perhaps?

Triple Bridge

Summer Markets

Dragon Bridge

Cathedral of St. Nicholas

Part 41 Continues Below
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster

City Square and City Hall

Time to hike up to Ljubljana Castle, should took the cable car up and walk down and not vice versa

Ljubljana Castle

The castle runs a couple of exhibits

Kolo Wheel

Yo Girl, please don’t jump on the cannon

*Last thing anyone wants is an accident

Renovated old jails

Part 41 Continues Below
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Time to have a look around the entire city

I could use another book this trip

As I had only some gummy bears on the Zagreb – Ljubljana train, I decided to have an early dinner up at Ljubljana Castle

Food was good but the server was pushing me to have a “Girls of Ljubljana Section”?
Not sure if I should take that as a good or bad thing, probably bad etiquette at a minimum

Yummy Bread and Cream Cheese

“Kranjska” Slovenian Sausage with roasted potatoes

Dessert

After the dinner, I went to the Slovenian History Museum on the castle grounds

Part 41 Continues Below
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Say good-bye to Yugoslavia and hello to Slovenia

The former Slovenian Tolar

As it was 8pm, it was time to head back to the hostel after a long long day
Time to take the funicular railway down the castle

Part 41 Continues Below
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

While I was walking back to the hostel, I found this embassy.

The Consulate of Azerbaijan, how did Slovenia get one of all countries, was surprised not to have an embassy in HKG when I went earlier to Azerbaijan earlier in the year

Parliament of Slovenia

Back at the hostel by 8:30pm, when is tomorrow’s flight?
Ya right 5:45am flight, now when do I need to wake up….

Next Part
Part 42 – Adria Airways Y LJU-SPU + Touring the Dalmatian home base, Split, Croatia

To all who have continued to read this TR - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from SHF
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
SHF - Having taken so far around a week to get to this stage I wait in anticipation at the continuation ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.