Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Ice Cream is Kosher so eat away

Thankfully our samples were more visitor friendly

And what are the 10 best selling ice cream flavors?

And finally don’t forget the ice cream booth, we did that that day before when we originally missed the tour

No kidding, life can be a beach

Now why did they go for “Clean Spoons”

We went for Late Night Snack and Phishfood

How can we forget this motto

And time for the flavor graveyard…

Part 18 Continues Below
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

There are some good names in there and some where they leave your hand scratching.

With that, our Vermont part of the road trip is done, and another 1 1/2 hour drive ahead to Hanover, New Hampshire.

With our early start, we arrived at Dartmouth right at noon so a quick walkthrough followed by some BBQ

And after a quick lunch, we were back on the road just after 1:15pm to our next stop, Concord, New Hampshire for another state house.

Concord, New Hampshire

Part 18 Continues Below
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I never thought of New Hampshire much until I picked up on some stuffs, like selling alcohol at a rest area?
And it’s open on Sundays ^

*How is MADD not fighting this? Guess NH is really “Live free or Die” State

Or this sign, NH Law, Buckle Up under 18, “Common Sense for all”

*You would think common sense would say buckle up so you don’t fly out of your windshield in case you crash but apparently not in this state???

And just after 3pm, we crossed into Maine from I-95

Next Part
Part 19 – The Burning Heart of the GOP lives on, now where are my stakes
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
wow this is an intense TR. ^
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, impressive whirlwind tour of the Upstate NY and New England with jfkeze and Pepi. Great pics as usual.
Love this one and "buckle up"... but only if you under 18. ^

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I never thought of New Hampshire much until I picked up on some stuffs, like selling alcohol at a rest area?

Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Now I regret pulling the trigger on the EZE deal, instead of the Santiago deal. Your pictures in Chile were absolutely stunnin, ShF. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

When you are tired and pull off the highway to rest... nothing like grabbing booze for the road ahead...

Last edited by jfkeze; Nov 22, 2013 at 10:00 pm
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the huge delay, have had a very cold weekend in DC
Really loving the 16 degree Farhenhait Windchill

Originally Posted by moseslin
wow this is an intense TR. ^
Thanks moseslin, glad to hear people are still enjoying the TR

Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow, impressive whirlwind tour of the Upstate NY and New England with jfkeze and Pepi. Great pics as usual.
Love this one and "buckle up"... but only if you under 18. ^
Thanks SFO777, for sure it was crazy. Annoying car but great adventures otherwise
And New Hampshire really shows a completely different culture not seen in the rest of the Northeast USA, really unique and those couple pics brings that out well.

Originally Posted by dat4life
Now I regret pulling the trigger on the EZE deal, instead of the Santiago deal. Your pictures in Chile were absolutely stunnin, ShF. Looking forward to the rest.
Many Thanks dat4life, I can't comment because I haven't done Argentina and EZE. And again, I thought the Chile photos were kinda average, not overly special but very happy to hear nonetheless

Originally Posted by jfkeze
When you are tired and pull off the highway to rest... nothing like grabbing booze for the road ahead...

*How is MADD not fighting this? Guess NH is really “Live free or Die” State
Easy for you to say you non-driver New Yorker
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Part 19 – The Burning Heart of the GOP lives on, now where are my stakes

For this section, both myself and jfkeze wanted to visit Maine seeing neither of us have never been to the state. Our only problem was how to manage our limited time efficiently especially on this 3.5 day roadtrip, finally jfkeze brought up Kennebunkport, Maine which is the summer home of the Bushes.

With our entry into Maine on Interstate 95 from New Hampshire, first we have to pay the tax man.

Entering the Maine Turnpike

With a reasonably long drive, we need a rest stop

Good Old Smokey

*Snack are not meal replacement, now somebody tells me?

After about 30 minutes drive, we got off on ME 35, 25 miles north of the State border for the turnoff for Kennebunkport.
Why so slow, we saw 4 Police Mustangs in 20 minutes, this wasn’t the time to be speeding

Kennebunkport

With our early lunch, we saw a snack place where we got an extra snack

After a quick chowder, we went towards the coast in looking for the Bushes Mansion.

Part 19 Continues Below
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

After a 10 minutes up the coast, we finally found the Bushes Mansion

After our 1 hour stop in Kennebunkport, we decided to head towards Boston where the hotel was at.

Time to pay the tax man again

*Guess Maine isn’t quite as free as New Hampshire

Back in a short stint in New Hampshire

Another drin? Really

After a quick 20 minute stint back in New Hampshire, we were now in Massachusetts

As it was still 6pm and the sun still hasn’t set, we made another detour to Salem to stake out the scene a little.

Part 19 Continues Below
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

The local population was not liking our staking around, bahaha

And after another quick stop, off to the Hyatt Regency Cambridge for the night which took about 40 minutes

Hyatt Regency Cambridge

We weren’t too sure, it was either Father’s Day on Sunday or some sort of graduation, I got complementary upgrade to Northeastern University Suite

View was also very nice from the suite with a full view of the Boston Skyline

As it was already 8pm with a 13 hour driving day, we decided on takeout and just sleep the night away.

The final day, we were definitely going to tour Providence and Newport, Rhode Island, as for Connecticut, we were still undecided on what to do but was leaning towards an outlet mall.

A 8am wake-up for an 8:45am Hyatt Diamond breakfast, lines and table were holding us up badly with the big crowd for Father’s Day Brunch.
We finally departed around 9:45am for Providence which took 1 hour 10 Minutes driving.

Providence, Rhode Island

Part 19 Continues Below
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

And the near the RI state capitol, someone decided to leave a dog inside a car

Brown University

And by noon, we made our way towards Newport, weather was starting to deteriorate with temps dropping toward the upper 60s with overcast skies

Newport, Rhode Island

Part 19 Continues Below
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

With the weather getting worse, my tiring body as well I left my winter jacket at the Hyatt Cambridge, we immediately headed back towards Boston, FML

As I called ahead to the hotel, they were able to locate my jacket and brought it to the front desk, the drive back took around 90 minutes so I’m back in Cambridge, MA at 3:30pm with a flight out of JFK at 10:30pm on a Sunday afternoon.

Luckily I did luck out on the traffic, we only encounter moderate traffic from the Mass Pike to Interstate 95 at New Haven, CT.
Last 75 Minutes was however a bit troubling with stop-n-go ranging from 25 – 60 mp/h, I did however luck out as I did return to the jfkeze hostel in Queens by 7:15pm, not too shabby door to door in 3 hr 45 minutes.

Can I please have a break, I still have 20 hour of Y flying coming on Royal Jordanian…

Next Part
Part 20 – Never prayed for an Op-Up so Badly, RJ J/Y JFK – AMM – BKK
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It was now 4:30pm as we got off the ferry and we had to make 1 try to Waterbury for the tour, sadly we didn’t make the tour at 5pm. Let said Vermont didn’t invent a word called passing lanes for its country road, over 30+ miles of nothing but double yellow, ugh

With that set, we went back to Burlington where jfkeze wanted to visit a microbrewery, the Magic Hat.

Who knew Vermont had horrible traffic problems
First off great TR so far. I haven't gotten to all of it yet but I've enjoyed everything I've gotten to read.

Fun fact about Vermont and double yellow lines for next time you visit (I spent 3 years of HS in VT and my parents still live there part-time so this tip has come in handy a lot). Vermont actually allows you to pass on any double yellow on any road in the state as long as it doesn't have a "Do Not Pass" (or some variation) sign on the road in question.

Apparently back in the day the state was sued because a girl was killed by a car passing on the double yellow. The state lost and in response turned virtually road into a double yellow. However sometime in the past 20 years they reversed the decision but instead of repaving and repainting every road they decided to just make it legal to pass on double yellows.

We finally settled on Ken’s Pizza for dinner, line were a bit weird and all but not horrible
Next time I recommend walking about 5 minutes around the corner to American Flatbread. One of my favorite pizza places in the world (and infinitely better than the TriBeCa location they opened up a few months ago).
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Fun fact about Vermont and double yellow lines for next time you visit (I spent 3 years of HS in VT and my parents still live there part-time so this tip has come in handy a lot). Vermont actually allows you to pass on any double yellow on any road in the state as long as it doesn't have a "Do Not Pass" (or some variation) sign on the road in question.
Vermont is also #2 in speeding tickets given per capita.

Great stuff thus far SHF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.