Wiki Posts
Search

Lazy Man's TR: Pictures are worth a thousand words

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by preimroc
CX 110 to HKG.
You flew on a three-class A330-300 (33G) with new long-haul business class seats. You were seated in a K seat.
You had access to SYD Flounge because of your OW emerald status.
On board, you had, for breakfast, apple juice, coffee, fresh seasonal fruit, congee with snapper and scallops and assorted bread.
For lunch, you had the two starters advertised on the menu: mixed salad and pork terrine with garlic bread and a bun. Your main was the black bean chicken. You drank ginger ale and water. You may have had two apple tarts with raspberry coulis because your wife/infant did not want theirs or you managed to take theirs by force, stealth or other means including emotional manipulation.
Eating pork may clue us in as to your religious affiliation or lack thereof.
Brilliant.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by preimroc
CX 110 to HKG.
You flew on a three-class A330-300 (33G) with new long-haul business class seats. You were seated in a K seat.
You had access to SYD Flounge because of your OW emerald status.
On board, you had, for breakfast, apple juice, coffee, fresh seasonal fruit, congee with snapper and scallops and assorted bread.
For lunch, you had the two starters advertised on the menu: mixed salad and pork terrine with garlic bread and a bun. Your main was the black bean chicken. You drank ginger ale and water. You may have had two apple tarts with raspberry coulis because your wife/infant did not want theirs or you managed to take theirs by force, stealth or other means including emotional manipulation.
Eating pork may clue us in as to your religious affiliation or lack thereof.
Well done! ^^^

Definitely CX110 to HKG on the Cirrus J seat. It was a great seat TBH, almost the same quality as the SQ J A380/77W seats if not better. The best thing is that all Australia-HKG flights have these new seats. There is really no need for F seats when these J seats are so good.

I was actually ticketed to seat of 21G but I ended up taking both 21G and 21K seats because of my infant. That's why you see an infant elephant toy in the picture.

I had congee for breakfast because I already had decent breakfast at QF SYD F lounge. The black bean chicken was great but I ate it in a rush!

As you can see some of the pictures taken taken in a rush where the food are not "nicely presented". The reason is that between Mr and Mrs Edison need to look after Baby Edison constantly, and this trip, I told Mrs Edison that I will look after Baby Edison as much as I can. That's also why I did not have any alcohol whilst on the plane. But I did managed to watch 2 movies on the plane (Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons, and Hotel Deluxe) whilst Baby Edison was sleeping on my lap!

I only had 1 apple tarts but had 2 in the pictures because my wife was looking after Baby Edison at that time and they put 2 tarts on my seats. So no, no force, stealth or other means including emotional manipulation involved .

As for my religious affiliation, well I am a Christian so I can eat anything.

Last edited by kamchatsky; Oct 30, 2013 at 4:36 pm
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
This is a great idea!

SYD was obvious, and it appears that OW is more likely than *A despite the old BD Silver status. The 6:30am flights are boarding, so it's around 6:00-6:15 and the next OW flights are leaving in the 7:15 area — only an hour, so not enough time to enjoy the lounge properly and have breakfast. There are only two other OW flights, Japan to Narita at 8:15, which is doable, or Qantas to Christchurch at 9:15 The latter does not seem likely, unless he's flying on from there to somewhere more exotic and is just teasing us, so by a process of elimination — ta-da! — he must be on JL 772!
Actually you missed the CX110 SYD-HKG flights in the board (left hand bottom corner)! But you are almost right because I was originally ticketed to JL772 to NRT before Mrs Edison think it is too dangerous for Baby Edison to go to Tokyo with all those Fukushima news recently. Hence I had to reroute.

I actually got to the airport at 5:15am (and unfortunately we woke up at 3:45am and then drove 1 hour to airport), checked in and we got to the lounge at 5:30am. There were hardly anyone in the QF F lounge. It was the first time I have been and I love the QF F lounge. It was very spacious, great view of take off and landing (a lot of take off landings from 6am onwards), and finally fantastic food and beverages as you can see in the pictures. Unfortunately we did not try the spa because it wasn't open at that time.

I took the picture of the departure board at 5:59am because we spent first 30 minutes looking after Baby Edison. But thats also why we got there early to give us more time to enjoy the lounge. Love my BAEC Gold status (courtesy from BMI!)!

It was definitely one of the best lounge I have ever been. That is one thing QF is very good at.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Part 3

Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Where am I going?

Clue, I spent 35K AA miles per person (what a bargain!) for this 1 way trip from SYD for both Mr and Mrs Edison. Unfortunately I paid cash for this itinerary for Baby Edison. There was no change of plane type. ie it is as per schedule.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by edison
I don't know why, perhaps because of the mystery of this report, but this photo reminded me of the eyes of T.J. Eckleburg from The Great Gatsby when I first looked at it.

Great report so far, and excellent answers!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: CX DM
Clue, I spent 35K AA miles per person (what a bargain!) for this 1 way trip from SYD for both Mr and Mrs Edison. Unfortunately I paid cash for this itinerary for Baby Edison. There was no change of plane type. ie it is as per schedule.
A shorthaul extension but not Japan because NRT has no scheduled 744 and although HND has scheduled 744s, the fruit appetizer instead of cold Japanese soba noodles suggest this is not a Japan route.

Since you've already been to Korea in an earlier TR, I am guessing Singapore or another South Asia city.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
As someone who mainly stalks the boards enjoying some of the threads and making use of some of the deals I am finding this thread better than many others, which are mainly dozens of pictures all in a row. As a student I still have not had a chance to travel much but I do enjoy reading trip reports (and seeing them) but I find it even more fun seeing others guess/not guess just from the pictures. Can't claim I will ever have a job or the money to travel as much as people on here but I can still enjoy reading it. Here is to more pictures and more guessing.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
My guess is you're off to Taipei on CX400 or CX402... The timing would work, the B744 fits, and it's a city you might well consider as a more novel alternative to Tokyo.

Sadly I can offer no more insights into your character or morality like preimroc, however...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:39 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:11 am
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angatol
Just read a review. Looks great. Was expecting some expensive DSLR camera to be honest.
It is still a great camera even though now it is superceded by LX7. Amazing CCD and I remembered a number of people saying it is their choice of camera if they don't want to bring their DSLR. Hence I bought it in HKG a few years back. I really should learn to use the rest of the camera's functions.

Surprised no one guessed about the lounge in HKG. There were quite a few of them around. Or it may just be too obvious for all FTers.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:51 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:33 am
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: CX DM
Surprised no one guessed about the lounge in HKG. There were quite a few of them around. Or it may just be too obvious for all FTers.
Actually it's interesting the photos were limited to the J section of the Wing. Is this trip before the renovation were completed of the F section of the Wing in February this year ?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
My guess is you're off to Taipei on CX400 or CX402... The timing would work, the B744 fits, and it's a city you might well consider as a more novel alternative to Tokyo.

Sadly I can offer no more insights into your character or morality like preimroc, however...

I agree is TPE too as it should be a very short flight which dessert is served in the same tray with entree and fruit plate.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AP*E
You landed in HKG around 2PM.
We may assume, based on the photographic record, that you connected there and did not overnight although you have family in Guangzhou.
You spent time in The Wing. You ate, probably chatted with your wife and went to the bathroom. Your infant son is by definition speechless although definition may vary. At around 10 months of age, he is capable of eye contact, social smile, cooing, babbling, reaching and grabbing (cue the toy in one of the pictures), pincer grasping, and may be pulling up to a stand, gesturing, capable of uttering one or a few words, and pretending to play.
Your next flight was on the upper-deck of a 747-400 and due to the low mileage use was intra-Asia.
You confirmed that you did not drink alcohol: the red-colored drink on your tray may thus be an Oriental Breeze, a non-alcoholic CX signature cocktail containing cranberry juice. Cranberry juice is a diuretic so you may have visited the bathroom onboard again.
Five potential destinations are to be considered: TPE, MNL, SIN, BKK & PEK.
You confirmed that Japan was out of the equation because of your wife's wariness vis-à-vis radioactivity.
mad_atta and balloon1979 made a cogent argument as to why TPE is the likeliest destination.
But MNL is as much a valid option.
Flight time between HKG and TPE is around 1h40. Between HKG and MNL, it is 2h. HKG-BKK is around 3h, HKG-PEK around 3h10, HKG-SIN a little less than 4h.
Aircraft type between HKG and TPE/MNL/SIN/BKK/PEK varies according to the day of the week. Scheduled 744 services to BKK and SIN occur infrequently. To PEK, the 744 is not daily.
SIN & BKK are unlikely candidates because of the possibility of flying direct from SYD on BA or QF. And going via HKG is a long detour for a family with a young child.
In conclusion, you flew:
- either to TPE on CX 472, 400, 402 or 468, leaving respectively at 15h55, 16h30, 18h40, and 20h00.
- or to MNL on CX903, 913 or 905, leaving at 16h35, 20h25 or 21h55 (a very long connection).
- or to PEK on CX312 leaving at 17h.

We may surmise that you tried to minimize the impact of travel on your family's well-being and therefore conclude that you did indeed go to China (ROC most likely, or PRC, family connections) or the Philippines on a CX flight leaving HKG roughly between 4 and 7PM.

Last edited by preimroc; Oct 20, 2013 at 6:46 am Reason: Analysis based on CX winter schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.