Air Koryo TU-204

Air Koryo TU-204

Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Air Koryo TU-204

Some pics from my August trip to North Korea:

Air Koryo is the world's only 1* airline - a rating they get because unlike other airlines, they do not pay any money to SkyTrax.

Pics are all from my phone, so apologies in advance for quality.
You can see some other "classic" planes and the ongoing construction of a new terminal at FNJ.

This was a busy day, there were 2 flights to Pyongyang from PEK within an hour. Check in was 3 desks. Lots of tourists from various companies.

RETURN FLIGHT:

Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Wow. There's one we don't see too often. Thanks for sharing, rankourabu!

Were you there as a tourist? What's the process for getting permission to visit like?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:19 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Smile Congratulations...

I think you may have actually "one-up'd" SFO777 by with this Trip Report (-;
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:48 am

How was the flight?? I am sure all of us would like to know what type of tour you took to the DPRK.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LM225
Wow. There's one we don't see too often. Thanks for sharing, rankourabu!

Were you there as a tourist? What's the process for getting permission to visit like?
Yes, there really is no issues getting permission. Its all handled by the company (in my case Juche Travel)

We had a nice small group, Koryo Tours (the best known one I guess, had over a 100 people) I have no idea why their prices are insane (huge profit margins?) compared to Juche Travel, because once in the country, everyone sees the same things, stays at the same places, and eats in the same restaurants.

There was lots of Americans on the plane.

Originally Posted by EAR111pt2
How was the flight?? I am sure all of us would like to know what type of tour you took to the DPRK.
Flight was uneventful, a small snack, and some NK beer was served.

I did a standard 7 day tour with Juche Travel. It was great, they took care of everything. Check out their Aviation tours!

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
I think you may have actually "one-up'd" SFO777 by with this Trip Report (-;
Thanks, but I think the Afghanistan one posted in the last two days is far cooler!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Fantastic. I've been wanting to do this trip with either Koryo Tours or Juche Tours, but I just haven't been able to justify taking funding away from other trips I'd like to take.

What did the NK authorities do with your passport? Just hold it and not put any visa stickers or stamps in it? Or did you get a visa or stamp?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RussianTexan
Fantastic. I've been wanting to do this trip with either Koryo Tours or Juche Tours, but I just haven't been able to justify taking funding away from other trips I'd like to take.

What did the NK authorities do with your passport? Just hold it and not put any visa stickers or stamps in it? Or did you get a visa or stamp?
There is no reason to go with Koryo - unless you think spending an extra $1000 justifies a souvenir tshirt.

There is nothing in your passport, you get a visa card, which they stamp on entry and collect on departure.
You collect the card at the pre-departure meeting in Beijing the night before the trip.

Some people arranged their own visa in London/Berlin, and they had a full page sticker.

The passport is held at reception of the hotel.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Another Air Koryo TR! Thanks... ^ Any pictures during your tour?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR! ^^^ Keep'em it coming!! Thanks for sharing and I appreciate that.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:13 am

I have always wanted to travel to North Korea (having only done an extremly short and limited visit at Dmz from the south side). I had never heard about the Juche Travel Services before, so I browsed the web. The following statement on the private tours must be true: You will be personally guided by experienced KITC guides who will deal exclusively with your private tour, giving you their 100% attention. Anyway, I'm eagerly waiting for the trip sometime in the future.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes, there really is no issues getting permission. Its all handled by the company (in my case Juche Travel)

We had a nice small group, Koryo Tours (the best known one I guess, had over a 100 people) I have no idea why their prices are insane (huge profit margins?) compared to Juche Travel, because once in the country, everyone sees the same things, stays at the same places, and eats in the same restaurants.
!

Ok, you have me intrigued. Many, many years ago I did a tour as a student Toronto to Moscow/Leningrad back in the "bad old days", all run by Intourist. I assume that going to DPRK today is similar to visiting the USSR back then.

Going to give this some serious consideration as something to do in 2014. I assume you flew to Beijing and started the tour from there?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:27 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Awesome information about Juche tours.

NKorea has been on the to do list for some time now. It's just a matter of making it work.

Would love to see more photographs from the tour itself if they are available...
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
Ok, you have me intrigued. Many, many years ago I did a tour as a student Toronto to Moscow/Leningrad back in the "bad old days", all run by Intourist. I assume that going to DPRK today is similar to visiting the USSR back then.

Going to give this some serious consideration as something to do in 2014. I assume you flew to Beijing and started the tour from there?
I m not sure, the USSR was well before my time

You probably werent running around with smartphones and digital cams back then

Its definitely a unique place. Well worth a visit. I would imagine the people in the USSR were much more 'aware' of how life in the west was than the North Koreans are today.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I m not sure, the USSR was well before my time

You probably werent running around with smartphones and digital cams back then

Its definitely a unique place. Well worth a visit. I would imagine the people in the USSR were much more 'aware' of how life in the west was than the North Koreans are today.
Ha ha definitely not. Heck, I am luddite enought not to even use a smart phone today! Digital camera though is a must have!

It was a different world back then for sure, but we in the west knew very little about things in the USSR ...just like most of us don't know much about N Korea today.

The trip was fairly controlled by Intourist, but not to the same extent that you would have on your trip...
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
.just like most of us don't know much about N Korea today.
We only know what the media throws at us.
We are fooled that propaganda is only one sided, and only a rogue govt like NK would use it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.