Reload this Page >

A Trip To Afghanistan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stevie
This is the most interesting TR I have read in a while. True adventure and interesting. There is only so much DOM and Caviar I can read about.

Thnaks for the TR. Personally I would not go due to safety concerns.
+1 On both points.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
WOW...that's all I can say. Who was your tour booked through? It looks like you saw a lot more in two days than I managed to see in three. Not sure if security has gotten better in the last few years, or if you just had better guides. Way to go!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Lounge Expert
this is a report that gets back to what travel is really about (taking you out of your comfort zone and heightening your senses)

Great job!
Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer. Great report and pictures. I'm totally envious.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
WOW...that's all I can say. Who was your tour booked through? It looks like you saw a lot more in two days than I managed to see in three. Not sure if security has gotten better in the last few years, or if you just had better guides. Way to go!
Thanks, JT. It was just the same company you recommended, Afghan Logistics.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:58 pm

This is brilliant! I had a knot in my stomach just going through the post.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
This is brilliant! I had a knot in my stomach just going through the post.
+1 Really enjoyed, truly amazing
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polomarc
+1 Really enjoyed, truly amazing
Thanks, Polomarc.

Although it wasn't totally safe when I went, am glad I did go and hard not to feel the situation is starting to get worse now and the 'door' is slowly closing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/wo...nt-attack.html
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
How did you get a tour set up for this? I'd love to do one and around the Middle East.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flipstah
How did you get a tour set up for this? I'd love to do one and around the Middle East.
Just these guys: http://www.afghanlogisticstours.com/
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
A Trip To Afghanistan

Great TR - I'm impressed! Thanks to you and everyone else for posting TRs of places of curiosity that I don't have time (amongst other things) to visit :-). I also really enjoyed the N Iraq TR. The pigeon market in Afghanistan made me think of the falcons at the airport for N Iraq.
What do people do with the pigeons bought at the pigeon market? Is it for food or something else? If it's food, then does the vendor kill the pigeon at purchase?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, gaobest. I'm pretty sure the pigeons are for pets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_keeping
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:46 pm

Awesome report.
I'd love to go check out Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and Syria.
If only we were in different times.
Hopefully some day.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Great TR, what a beautiful country that has been raped & pillaged over and over again.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Afghanistan is a truly beautiful country, I wasn't there for sight seeing reasons and doubt the OP could have done this trip if it wasn't for the ongoing operations that are and have occurred in the country.

Away with the negative it is a sight to be seen of the change around the Helmand river (or green zone as it was known) between the summer season and the winter flood season!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by pointchaser
Beautiful photos. I was actually born in Kabul and have been back twice: Despite the political reasons for naming Sept 9 "Massoud Day", he was not a hero but a turncoat who (by the CIA's own admission) took bribes from the Russians. He is despised by the majority of Afghans.

In the Makroyan area, where my family lived, a group of young women threw themselves off the roof to avoid being gang raped by his troops. His status as a national hero is merely a political tool to appease supporters of his faction. A family friend of ours knows his relatives, and they've been using the money Massud laundered during the war to buy up massive amounts of real estate throughout Europe. Sorry to say, but the majority of Americans have a very skewed and inaccurate perspective of Massud.
I am pretty sure you are not an Afghan when you do not accept Ahmad Shah Masoud as our National Hero. Every single afghan accept his as National hero and proud of him. He is our National Hero because he took out Russia from Afghanistan and also started fighting against your FATHERS Taliban Pakistanis until his dead. when a few people do something bad it doesnt mean that their leader told them to do that. when best writers and film makers from other countries praise him and you Pakistani doest accept him as national Hero. really regret for you Ghol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.