Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The First Class Experience with Garuda Indonesia

The First Class Experience with Garuda Indonesia

Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Good to know how Garuda is investing and improving their premium class by leaps and bounds! I think it is due to their alliance with Etihad.

However, my flights with them have been inconsistent for the last 12 months. Range from good to really scary. Had a rough landing on one of their domestic legs just last month, and 2 months ago, I was served a black corn on a SIN-CGK flight!

As for the F suites, I think they will also be introduced to the CGK-LHR routes later this year, so GA is also aiming for the Kangaroo route LHR-CGK-SYD with the new F.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
It sounds like an amazing experience! I would love to try it! Great trip report!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:57 pm

Wonderful trip report, amazing! I do hope they will maintain the consistency of their service up there. Did 4 trips with Garuda in the last 2 months, ( 2 biz class to HK, And 1 in coach to Bali and Surabaya, very very impressed with overall service delivery. Especially the biz class service standard is even improved further compared to the trip i did early this year...including improvement in their entertainment program. Pleasenty supprised to see that popular comedies series like modern family, the big bang theory, are now available even in short domestic flights......great!!!. Room improvement is for economy class checking staff in Jakarta airport, they looked exhausted, while for biz class checking staff and procedure...i have to say one of the best if not the best based on my own experience.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
i remember when my friend teases me whenever im flying w garuda.

havent flown Garuda for more than 20 years, WOW. thanks for the trip report,
their effort to improve has been very impressive!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: A Few
Another WOW!

I haven't flown Garuda since my backpacking days 25 years ago...this is certainly not the Garuda I remember!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by quirrow
Good to know how Garuda is investing and improving their premium class by leaps and bounds! I think it is due to their alliance with Etihad.
Not Etihad but benchmarking SQ in Garuda's "Quantum Leap Forward" investment to improve overall service, increase fleet to 154 with avg age of 5 years and fly 32 million passengers per annum starting 2015. If Garuda pulls this off, I will take over SQ in terms of passenger, fleet and revenue size - SQ fleet size was 102 and carried 18 million passengers in 2012. One major fault in Garuda's equation though is that CGK does not have the capacity, structural design nor technology to support their business goals. And while current airport improvements/ expansion are underway, it will not be big enough nor fully completed by 2015.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:18 pm
UMD
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spizzy
Thanks for the menu. You have go to love how they have Caviar as on demand under the Snacks in the menu Hopefully someone will post the Lunch/Dinner Menu as well as I would be interested to see what is on offer. Glad to here the SYD will be starting soon.
I have the lunch menu and I will post it later for you.

In the meantime, I jsut heard that SYD will now be delayed until the 5th B77W has arrived or just prior to the introduction on CGK-London (unsure now whether it is LGW or LHR) sometimes May 2014.

Originally Posted by payam81
Looks and sounds fantastic! I particularly like the details like the Pearl Spoon being used for the Caviar! LH could learn from Garuda on this!

The choice of champagnes however did not impress much. Really a non-issue for most people but since they are going all out, might as well improve this part to be more competitive.
I am not a wine or champagne connoisseurs but I do like the 2000 Billecart-Salmon. I like it better than the 2013 Dom. Then again, I am surprised I don't see Krug in the menu.

Originally Posted by guyinmotion
I am truly impressed by how much Garuda Indonesia has improved over the years. I think it has undegone a quantum leap forward already. I remember flying Garuda on C while I lived in Jakarta some years back and not being sure if we would arrive safely or not at our destination.

Take a look at them now. Two thumbs up for Garuda. Look forward to seeing the airline becoming a member of Sky Team in 2014. ^^
Again, the old Garuda is dead and the new Garuda is very much alive and strong. Garuda indeed will be a great addition to SkyTeam. March 2014 is the date for joining.

As for the F suites, I think they will also be introduced to the CGK-LHR routes later this year, so GA is also aiming for the Kangaroo route LHR-CGK-SYD with the new F.
It's been delayed until May 2014 due to runway structure in CGK. Thus, SYD will not see B77W until around that time.

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Another WOW!

I haven't flown Garuda since my backpacking days 25 years ago...this is certainly not the Garuda I remember!
This new Garuda is very different from the old one.

Not Etihad but benchmarking SQ in Garuda's "Quantum Leap Forward" investment to improve overall service, increase fleet to 154 with avg age of 5 years and fly 32 million passengers per annum starting 2015. If Garuda pulls this off, I will take over SQ in terms of passenger, fleet and revenue size - SQ fleet size was 102 and carried 18 million passengers in 2012. One major fault in Garuda's equation though is that CGK does not have the capacity, structural design nor technology to support their business goals. And while current airport improvements/ expansion are underway, it will not be big enough nor fully completed by 2015.
It is SQ that GA is trying to beat and copy here and so far it has been successful. Not SQ yet but it is getting there. I can tell you that my F experience onboard GA is in may ways better than what SQ is offering in F. The only other challenge that Garuda is facing is CGK.

I agree with the CGK challenge. Let's hope there will be no more delay to T3.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
What I meant was they definitely had some help from Etihad in the First Class design and amenities. As for beating SQ, I believe they still have some way to go since SQ has an excellent reputation even amongst Indonesians. Not only that SQ definitely gets much more connecting traffic and has a much more extensive route network. Compared to SQ's all wide-body fleet with A380s, GA's main fleet are comprised of 738s serving domestic routes.

For domestic flights in Indonesia, Garuda Indonesia is the best bet, but for regional flights, I would probably pick SQ or CX even if it means the need to transfer since many of the short haul flights are operated by a 738 which can be quite cramped in the back when the flights are full.

Originally Posted by UMD
It is SQ that GA is trying to beat and copy here and so far it has been successful. Not SQ yet but it is getting there. I can tell you that my F experience onboard GA is in may ways better than what SQ is offering in F. The only other challenge that Garuda is facing is CGK.

I agree with the CGK challenge. Let's hope there will be no more delay to T3.
Doesn't CGK already have a T3?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 3:56 am

Great trip report. All I can say is "Wow"
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wow, great report and service by the looks of it. I flew with Garuda many years ago from Bali to Amsterdam and it was an awful experience. How things have changed; standards, cabin and service look amazing
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:28 pm
UMD
Original Poster

Doesn't CGK already have a T3?
I was referring to the new 'T3 Ultimate' that's under construction at this moment. The current T3 will then be refurbished and redesigned to join this new T3 which will be the largest terminal of all the 3 in CGK.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Wow. These guys don't mess around. Sounds like a top notch product.

Thanks for taking the time to put the report together. It is well done.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Same EY cabin... Garuda copied well... but not perfectly
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread, but I'd like to add another compliment to GA for having free AVOD in Y aboard some 738s. Definitely didn't expect to see it on my UPG-MDC flight this year, so anything that helps to distract...
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Thank you so much for sharing! both the hard and soft products looks amazing!! great pictures!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.