Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA - New York and West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Vegan?

Nice TR. Nice choice of hotels and you travel in style. Can't say anything about AA as I don't travel on them unless I have no other choice. But there are plenty of diehard AA fans.

But I am a little confused. Are you a vegan, vegetarian or something else? A vegan is someone you doesn't eat any animal product and that includes milk, cheese etc. A vegetarian will eat milk and cheese but not eggs . And then you go and eat the fish. Couldn't figure you out.

Vegan food IMHO is very bland with limited choices. A vegetarian has lots of options specially if you like Indian or middle eastern foods and are quite good. In fact there are lots of options from foods around the world. But if you eat fish then I am wondering about your complaints about the non-availability of vegan foods.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
We're following a vegan diet at home, and vegan food isn't bland at all. In New York for example are very good vegan restaurants, and many Michelin Star restaurants in New York also don'T have a problem creating innovative, tasty vegan menus. IF a restaurant claims to have experience in vegan cooking, I expect a creative vegan menu. We try to eat vegan as much as possible even when we're on vacation, but while we are at-home-vegans, we eat the occasional fish (especially if we're at the coast where fish doesn't has to be transported over hundreds of miles) and dairy products as well as eggs. We never eat meat.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Great TR - loved reading it

Never stayed @ Wynn but your logic is spot on

Been round a lot of Vegas hotels and the MO isn't really Vegas at all. Its a great hotel but when in Vegas live Vegas (as you did!)

Do recomend going to the MO bar though for a drink (or to book afternoon tea). Really is worth it with great views

looking forward to seeing the rest of your report^
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:36 pm

Great trip report - love the balance between just photos and just text! Also the AA seats - wow is the easiest reaction to convey my thoughts.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Excellent report. Very useful for someone like me who seeks weekend trips to luxury properties. This weekend I'll be at the FS Santa Barbara.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by francophile
Excellent report. Very useful for someone like me who seeks weekend trips to luxury properties. This weekend I'll be at the FS Santa Barbara.
Have fun
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:54 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Vielen Dank

It is an impressive hotel lists, though I have to admit that I like the MO New York most (so far).

Looking forward to the reports and pictures of your return trip and of the Amangiri.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Itīs done
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by offerendum
The service could have been friendlier, especially in the beginning the stewardess who served us was close to being rude (maybe because she was French...).

You're cracking me up...

I'm shocked by the AA cabin, especially when considering that this is supposed to be first class. I'm aware that that US domestic first class can't even remotely be compared to European or Asian first class products (or even to US international first for that matter), but I had no idea it was so bad. Is this always the case or were you simply out of luck and got a very old bird? Are UA and DL the same?
I always use VX for US transcon flights and must say that I quite like them.

Your reviews of the various west coast hotels are very helpful as I'm currently planning a trip to this region and was considering some of the properties you stayed at.
The Wynn is a great choice. I stayed in a Tower Suite at its sister-property, the Encore, when I was last in Vegas and I absolutely loved it.

Great trip report and fantastic itinerary!

Last edited by JohnRain; Aug 27, 2013 at 1:11 am
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Is this always the case or were you simply out of luck and got a very old bird?
At the moment that is the standard AA-plane on this route. They should get new planes soon which look really nice.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:41 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

The Amangiri looks really good (but not great according to the pictures and the description of you ) ...

Maybe I manage to sample it once
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Maybe I manage to sample it once
Hope so
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:43 pm

Very well done report!

FS SB looks about like I remember it. Which is not great. Other spots look fantastic!

And the AA stuff is right on.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great pics!

interesting comparison re vegan/etc food. remember you can order more off menu especially at aman for example.

maybe next time link trip report in lounge thread of luxury hotels forum. only saw it when you recently linked in another thread.

im confused by the AA 3 cabin F.. there are 14 such planes? very odd. i dont recall seeing much if any discussion/pics before.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 2, 2013 at 9:35 am
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
maybe next time link trip report in lounge thread of luxury hotels forum. only saw it when you recently linked in another thread.
Thanks, Iīll do it.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
im confused by the AA 3 cabin F.. there are 14 such planes? very odd. i dont recall seeing much if any discussion/pics before.
Yes, itīs not discussed often and the reviews I read here were mostly positive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.