Not Nearly a Suite: ANA First Square, Park Hyatt Tokyo and Thai A380 F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Wink Not Nearly a Suite: ANA First Square, Park Hyatt Tokyo and Thai A380 F

Introduction

Taking opportunity of a great deal found with the help of posts from FlyerTalk, I would be departing from San Diego back to Asia, but this meant I need to position myself from San Diego. I decided to take US Airways to San Diego from Vancouver, before overnighting in the Andaz at San Diego.

From San Diego, I would board UA Domestic F to SF and overnight at the Hyatt Regency, while the fun truly begins from SFO where I will take ANA's First Square to Tokyo Narita. Not exactly a suite, but still great nonetheless!

Staying a few days in Tokyo, I chose the Park Hyatt Tokyo which I was not able to use my suite upgrades, thus no suites once again!

The last few leg of the trip will allow me to experience Thai Airways new A380 in First, as well as enjoy the pleasures of the Royal Orchid Lounge in BKK before taking another flight to Jakarta on Thai's regional J.

The report will consist of the following sections:
1) US Domestic First from YVR to PHX
2) US Airways Club at Phoenix
3) US Domestic First from PHX to SAN
4) Andaz San Diego
5) United Airlines SAN to SFO
6) Hyatt Regency SFO
7) United Airlines Global First Lounge
8) ANA First Square SFO to NRT Part 1
9) ANA First Square SFO to NRT Part 2
10) ANA First Square SFO to NRT Part 3
11) Park Hyatt Tokyo
12) Kamakura and the Great Buddha
13) Conrad Tokyo
14) Thai Airways First Class on the A380 Part 1
15) Thai Airways First Class on the A380 Part 2
16) Royal Orchid Lounge and Spa at Bangkok
17) Thai Airways Business Class BKK to CGK

Last edited by quirrow; Sep 1, 2013 at 11:57 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:09 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

US Airways YVR to PHX

US239 Vancouver YVR - Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX
STD-STA: 1429-1736
Actual: 1433-1706
A319-100 N834AW
Seat 1C to 1A

With the online check in completed at home, I was able to print the boarding passes using the automated kiosk just by scanning my passport. There was a queue to check the baggage and during security with only 2 lines open while the Nexus lane was closed. It was about a 15 minute wait before I crossed security, and it was only after the security officers opened another lane during the middle of the wait for Nexus card holders.

Maple Leaf lounge at YVR

Immigration clearance was fast as is usually the case every time I travel to the States from YVR, so I was into the departure concourse in less than 20 minutes after depositing my bags, leaving me with more than an hour to spare in the Maple Leaf lounge. This is perhaps worth the premium for flying into the States from Canada since US immigration in their own airports are usually so crowded that waits of more than 30 minutes to clear immigration is common. Meanwhile at the lounge, the US Airways plane has not even arrived when I got myself some cookies and iced tea. Air Canada's Maple Leaf Lounge is a pleasant place to be in and have a variety of magazines, more than my last visit.

US Airways Airbus A319

Last call for boarding was called at around 2:10pm and I proceeded to gate 86 which is just one gate away from the lounge, so it was an easy walk. Upon boarding, the senior flight attendant asked very nicely if I could switch my aisle seats to allow a couple to be seated together and I obliged. The first class cabin is full at this time and there was one more pax in 2D who arrived last. When I enquired for space to put my carry on items, they mentioned it was packed but upon understanding my seat in First and given that I agreed to switch my seats, the senior FA ushered me to the overhead bins above row 3.

Take-off from Richmond, BC

Columbia river in Washington State

The FA even mentioned that she could bring my bag out once we took off and the service in this flight was one of the best I have experienced. Seats are like any other domestic first class and it was very well maintained. The FA asked me what I wanted for drinks and I got water without ice. There was a couple more passengers before the crew closed the door early and proceeded to the runway. It was an early departure and we took off on time if not for the long taxi time.

Snacks and ginger ale onboard US Airways

Bulkhead First Class on the Airbus A319

Service in this flight was just a choice of snack packs which included chips, mini pretzels and almonds. The FA would come back with the tray again later in the flight. Passengers were also asked for drink orders and I ordered one ginger ale. I have to say the FA catering the First cabin was very attentive, all the while offering passengers drinks and encouraging me to take more than one pack of snacks.

Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah

Aerial view of Grand Canyon, Arizona

Another positive to the flight was the views from the snow capped mountains of Washington to the salt flats in Utah and finally passing Grand Canyon. The view out of the window made me glad I had the window seat. The pilot also mentioned it while we were going to fly by Grand Canyon which I appreciated since three was no inflight monitors or moving map in the cabin. All things considered, this was perhaps my favourite intra-America flight to date.

Sunset at Phoenix Sky Harbor
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:12 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

US Airways Club in Phoenix

Arriving into Phoenix, I could immediately feel the heat. Actually I had played with the idea of spending a night or 2 at the The Phoenician resort in Phoenix, which is part of 'The Luxury Collection' by SPG, though I was glad I skipped on that option now. I did notice, however, that the views of the city on descent is really beautiful, so maybe I will head here in the winter season someday.

The control tower at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport

As the flight was parked in the 'higher' A gates, I first head into the smaller US Airways Club and was granted access purely because I was coming from an international departure city. The Club here is really small though it was not that busy when I arrived. Besides chips, there was also olives and hot soup for passengers. The selection of drinks includes jugs of iced tea by the bar, which I immediately looked for due to the heat that could even be felt in the terminal!

Smaller US Airways club lounge at the high-A concourse

Initially I had only expected a short stopover which was I picked the closest lounge to head to. Truthfully speaking, I did not have much expectations for a domestic 'First Class' lounge in the United States either thus figured it might not be worth the while to walk to the larger lounges. However, a delay for my connecting flight meant I got bored and proceeded to the larger lounge situated in the lower A concourse. This was where I found Phoenix airport to be easy to navigate and the sunset at the time allowed me to enjoy great views of the desert landscape surrounding the city.

US Airways at Phoenix Sky Harbor

The larger club lounge was a much more pleasant space and it was even more quiet. There was not much difference in the views, and neither was there much to shout about the food and beverages offered but the larger lounge has a better selection of reading materials. Wifi in both lounges were easy to use and good enough for light browsing on the iPad and updating my Instagram through the iPhone. Thus, I settled down with a cup of iced coffee topped with hazelnut cream which was fantastic.

Larger US Airways lounge at the low-A concourse

Iced hazelnut coffee with biscuit

Close to boarding time, I checked with the attendant for the boarding status of my flight but they did mention it would be announced. However, since the lounge seemed understaffed and I wanted to take some more photos along the way, I made my way back to the gate earlier as it was in the other section of the terminal. It was fortunate that I did that since I reached the gate in time just as they started boarding. All things considered, this was a very nice layover even with the delay connection due to the low passenger numbers in the lounge and the beautiful sunset view from the airport terminal. The good service and ease of connecting is what would make me think of flying with US Airways again!

Dusk at Phoenix Sky Harbour
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:15 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

US Domestic First from PHX to SAN

US192 Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX - San Diego Lindbergh Field SAN
STD-STA: 20:00-21:14
Actual: 20:54-21:40
Airbus A321-200 N523UW
Seat 4C

Once on board, since I joined the common boarding group, most of the First Class passengers are already seated. Fortunately, there was still space for my carry on and upon seating down, the pre-beverage service started from row 4. Lucky me, being seated and just in time for a drink!

While we were taxiing, the lead attendant taking care of the First Class cabin came to talk to me about his similar passion for photography as he noticed my DSLR. We kind of exchanged some pointers and discussed about our passion for photography, until the time for take-off.

US Airways domestic First Class cabin

The first class cabin on the A321s feels more spacious, though this could also be the fact that there is 2 extra rows of First Class seats. Loads for this flight was similarly full and my seat mate was a guy who slept for most of the flight while occupying row 3 was a family of 4 who seems to be returning from a vacation. The load seems to be what one might expect between 2 holiday destinations in the United States.

With a short flight, the lead attendant quickly went about taking drink orders and distributing snacks for the passengers. Snacks was just a pack of savoury snack mix and I had it with a cup of Sprite.

Inflight snack mix and Sprite

The lead attendant was kept busy for most of the flight and until I finished my snacks. That is when he returned and continued to pick up the chat from where we stopped. We did not seem to bother the passenger beside me at all as he continued his nap. It was nice to pass the time chatting with the crew as I got to exchange some thoughts on Canon's lenses and maybe get some pointers too! Before long, it was time for the descent and that would mark the end of our conversation as he got busy with his duties upon landing. I bid him adieu and just wished that it was a longer flight for the chance of a longer conversation.

Baggage claim at SAN

Arrivals at San Diego Airport

Arrival in San Diego, I was greeted with a nice new terminal which I thought is one of the nicest in the United States. I proceed to the baggage claim which is just a short walk down the escalators. While waiting for the luggage to come out of the carousel, I took the time to explore the terminal which was advertising JAL's 787 service between San Diego and Narita. With this I wondered if that was why I had this pretty good deal of flying to Narita from San Diego. I say bring on the competition for better service and pricing of tickets to consumers!

Palm trees outside San Diego airport

Waiting for the luggage took maybe 10-15 minutes which was acceptable and priority tagging does indeed work as my luggage was one of the first to come out. With that I headed into the cool summer night in San Diego to board the shuttle bus to the Andaz. Actually I should have just taken the taxi as it was another 10 minute wait for the shuttle to come and it wasn't that long of a ride into the city anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:19 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Andaz San Diego

Let's just mention before the review that I am a huge fan of the Andaz properties by Hyatt beforehand. And when I had a night layover in San Diego, I instinctively chose the Andaz San Diego for my lodging. The hotel is located right in the Gaslamp Quarter and is very accessible to the sights in downtown as well as a nice walk to the waterfront. The hotel is located in a historical building thus there is no grand hotel porch or the sorts as the shuttle bus dropped me off by the front entrance. As I was arriving on a weekend night, there was a huge clubbing crowd in the hotel since there is several hangout bars and clubs in the property itself. This meant a crowded and noisy lobby. I didn't mind this at all since I wanted to make the most out of my one night stay in San Diego.

Reception at the Andaz San Diego

The hotel lobby is very nicely decorated in a similar style to that of SPG's W Hotels and there is also a Japanese restaurant in the lobby. Check-in at all Andaz hotels is conducted by 'hosts' walking around with their iPads, though there is also a conventional check-in desk beside the hotel boutique. One friendly host checked me in and informed me of the clubs opening tonight, while thanking me for the business. In addition she mentioned that guests at the hotel have priority access to the clubs by requesting for an armband. Hyatt Diamond guests also get breakfast which will be served in the rooftop that currently functions as a club at night. After obtaining my key card that adds to my 'periodic table element' collection, I headed for the elevator. In order to manage the crowds, there is a bouncer that manages the elevators for club patrons and hotel guests.

Deluxe King room

My room was on the 3rd floor and faces the main street, thus I was expecting a bit of noise. However the room turned out to be alright in terms of noise level. The room assigned was a Deluxe King room, one level above the standard room type. There was a small seating area as well as a work desk that faces the window in the bedroom. The main attraction, though was the a glass-enclosed walk-in shower that occupies half of the bathroom floor area. And there is nothing to close the glass while showering which means it is definitely not suitable for families or casual friends travelling together. The toilet is placed at the end of the bathroom in a separate enclosure. Bathroom amenities is by a local toiletry brand and has a neutral, though somewhat clinical scent. As far as hotel rooms go, this was one of the best I had in North America as it was very nicely designed and very spacious. In some hotel properties such rooms might even be considered a Junior Suite of sorts!

Bathroom with spacious walk-in shower

King bed in Andaz San Diego

After settling in the room and lounging for a bit by using the wifi which is complimentary, I decided to check out the rooftop bar and walk around the Gaslamp Quarter on a clubbing night to just soak in the vibe on a weekend night! The club on the rooftop is definitely crowded and there are definitely some guests staying in the hotel taking advantage of the priority access. This could be considered a perk for staying at this property on a weekend night, I suppose. After a short while, I returned to the room for an good night's rest.

SoCal Eggs Benedict

The next morning, I woke up earlier than usual for a nice jog to the waterfront, and the hotel does have a pocket-sized jogging map upon request by guests. After the jog and a shower, I enjoyed a fantastic a-la carte breakfast similar to the one I had in the Hyatt The Pike in Long Beach. I ordered a SoCal style Eggs Benedict which comprised of smoked turkey and avocado over poached eggs topped with chilli-lime hollandaise and served with breakfast potatoes. It was one of the tastiest breakfast I had in a North American hotel stay!

Hotel lobby

In addition to the breakfast, there was selected snacks and non-alcoholic beverages that are compliments of Andaz in the room minibar as always is the case for Andaz properties worldwide. The selection of drinks and snacks was quite good including a pack of chips, a chocolate bar, several juices and soft drinks as well as iced tea.

Rooftop pool with cabanas

Rooftop lounge and terrace with a view of San Diego

Since my flight did not depart until the evening, I was able to get late check-out at 4pm with no problem. I took the time to visit and explore the city after my 'brunch' in the rooftop lounge. When I returned to the hotel to check-out, I still had time to explore the rooftop which has nice views of the city and this would be a great place to spend the afternoon in! I could totally imagine a soak in the pool and enjoying an afternoon sipping coffee by the cabanas in the poolside! This means I would have to return here again which is an easy choice really as the Andaz San Diego is perhaps my favourite hotel in the United States at the moment!

For those interested to see photos from the city itself, they are on my blog here.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:24 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

United Airlines SAN to SFO

UA242 San Diego Lindbergh Field SAN - San Francisco SFO
STD-STA: 20:32 - 22:00
Actual: 21:12 - 22:08
Airbus A319-100 N843UA
Seat 1A

United Airlines check-in at SAN

A taxi ride on a slow Sunday evening to San Diego airport was about $15 with tips. Checked in for my United flight though I was not able to tag the baggage for the next international leg. Used the priority lane queue but the standard queue was not that busy anyway while the waiting gates was really crowded. Seems everyone were travelling back from vacation on Sunday evening. I used the mobile boarding pass on the Passbook app for iOS and it worked seamlessly, even for the United Club access. The United Club was pretty quiet though and it was a pleasant lounge with good views of the planes at SAN including a BA jet that evening. Also managed to get a good view of my arriving plane as I followed its delayed flight from SFO.

Sunset at San Diego airport

United Club in San Diego airport

In fact I think the United app works pretty good in terms of informing passengers of expected delays and following the location of their incoming aircraft. Boarding was slightly chaotic and the small First cabin on the A319 meant it was a squeeze to take stuff out from your carry on before being seated.

Arrival of United Airlines Airbus A319

It was a short flight to SFO as the pilot wanted to make up for lost time and to ensure connecting passengers were able to go on their trip as planned. Pre-take-off beverage was offered and there was also a snack tray consisting of Pop Chips, Kit Kats, mixed nuts and bananas.

Sprite for mid-flight beverage

Pop chips and Kit Kats for snacks

As we descended, the FA requested the cooperation of fellow passengers to allow those with tight connections to disembark first and everyone worked very well during disembarkation including the First class passengers. The FA gave very clear instructions and listed out the gate numbers for connecting flights, so all in all, this flight showed how passengers and crew help each other out to ensure a smooth journey.

Approaching San Francisco

Amongst many US airports, the one in San Francisco has one of the best food courts with some good selection of food. However by the time I disembarked, there was little left as many of the stalls are closing down for business. Which means I just have to get a bite somewhere else this late at night.

SFO airport food court
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:27 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hyatt Regency SFO

It was late when I arrived in SFO due the late arrival of our plane, and the stalls in the food court was closing at the end of the day. With only snacks for dinner, I was kind of hungry, and as the shuttle bus to the airport hotels (the bus to Hyatt also serves the Marriott) passed by an In-N-Out Burger Outlet, I yearned to get out for a bite. Sadly though the Hyatt Regency SFO is located a little bit far for a walk to In-N-Out Burger or anywhere else for that matter. As it was getting late, I figured I will just get a bite from one of the hotel's restaurant.

The hotel atrium in the day

Escalator in the atrium

Fortunately, check-in was fast and I was assigned a room very quickly with a small mention of my privileges. The whole experience was very forgettable though which I attribute more to fatigue than the agent's incompetence. Furthermore I was assigned a room that was at the other end of the atrium, a good 3-minute walk from the elevator lobby due to the roundabout resulted from the huge central atrium. This was not fun at all, and I wondered as to why they could not just have 2 elevator lobby.

King bed room

The room I was assigned had a King bed that has partial bay views and also that of highway 101. with a small terrace outside. Again this highway can get very noisy and I would really rather have the atrium-facing rooms. While the room was spacious, it also reminded me of the Hyatt Regency in Chicago O'Hare Airport. Both hotels have a large central atrium and similar designed rooms. A standard bathroom also meant that it was like any other standard Hyatt Regency hotels.

Standard bathroom

But the similarity to the O'Hare Airport Hyatt stops there as the Regency Club which I visited in the morning was one that was in dire need of renovations. Even though it had a bay view, the lounge was small and had very few seats available for guests. As I counted there were only like 5-6 tables around the lounge, with a sofa facing the TV. There was also a meeting table of sorts with seats for 8. The choices during breakfast was proportional to the number of seats in the lounge too (that is very little choices) and includes the usual cereal, croissants and yogurts. Fortunately I know I can get better food in the airport lounge later so I just settled for coffee and some pastries.

Club Lounge seating

As I mentioned earlier, I also had some food from the Knuckles Sports Bar on the night I checked in as that was the only dining outlet that still served food around 11:00pm. The sports bar ambience was as usual crowded and busy, thus I ordered a take-out order of baby-back ribs intending to bring it up to the room. While waiting for the order, I had a pleasant chat with a local who frequents the sports bar. The ribs was good enough as far as pub fare goes, and I enjoyed it in the room while watching some TV.

Bayview from the Hyatt Regency SFO

The room rate for the Hyatt Regency SFO is slightly lower than most airport hotels of similar calibre and now I know why. The relatively old rooms, large number of rooms and lack of amenities makes this a below average property. Until it undergoes some sort of renovation, I would probably steer clear away from this hotel.

View of the highway from the room
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Fantastic start and can't wait to see the rest!

Altho I do have a question. The way that shower is set up, can you opaque the glass at all, just in case you have company over? That would be mighty awkward for all parties involved!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:35 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

United Airlines Global First Lounge

San Francisco Airport International Terminal

After checking out of the Hyatt Regency SFO and boarding the shuttle bus, I alighted at the International Terminal and proceeded to the check-in counter, which is located at row 6 for All Nippon Airways. There was no one in the queue for the First Class check-in counter and I was served immediately by an agent with a smile. ANA and Asiana does have some of the most wonderful check-in agents ever who are always so pleasant with greeting the passengers. In this instance as I took one of the luggage sticker, she actually handed out some luggage tags for me. It was such acts of spontaneity that makes them much more pleasant to interact with.

Check-in at row 6 for All Nippon Airways

My single check-in luggage was left with the attendant as the check-in agent handed me my boarding pass and passport, indicating in the meantime on where to go. After that, she tagged my luggage to Narita with the 'First Class' tags to boot! Since I was early, I took my time to walk around the terminal and head to SFO Museum Gallery. In terms of airports, SFO has one nice check-in concourse in the international terminal.

SFO Museum Gallery

There was not much of a queue in the priority lane today, and I was able to pass through customs in a record time! Again, I did not head directly to the lounge, instead I went airplane spotting. This was a smart move since I spotted the arriving ANA 777 as I walked past my departure gate and was able to take some good shots of the jet as it parked by the gate.

ANA Boeing 777 arriving from Japan

ANA flight stewardess getting ready

The ANA stewardess are also grouped around the gate as they make last minute planning for the flight to Japan. Meanwhile on the adjacent gate, a United Airlines flight to Beijing is getting ready for boarding with massive crowds mingling by the gate.

Boarding for United Airlines to Beijing

United Airlines Boeing 747 in SFO

Having walked around most of the terminal, I headed to the United Global First Lounge. The attendant welcomed me in and directed me to take the elevators to a floor below. The lounge is unique in that it was decorated in an Asian style with Chinese wooden furnitures gracing the reception area. Inside the lounge is surrounded with louvred windows and Chinese calligraphy and Asian art. Maybe a throwback to the Asian population in the Bay Area?

United Global First Lounge reception and entrance

Unlike most United Club lounge, or even the United Red Carpet Club which I visited in SFO, this lounge had a totally different ambience. Inside it was relaxing with several sections of seats for lounging. There was also a long shelf stacked with choices of newspapers and magazines.

Magazine gallery in the lounge

At the end of the lounge was the dining area with a good selection of food like Japanese dishes such as Yakitori and sushi rolls in addition to sandwiches and a nice salad bar. There was also cookies which was delicious that I even got an extra one before I left the lounge. The beverage counter was also stocked with a variety of soft drinks, beer and wines.

Dining area at the end of the lounge

Buffet counter and bar area

Since the breakfast at the Regency Club in the Hyatt was lacklustre, I had my fill of breakfast here, though I made a point of not eating too much since I know ANA's First Class meal is amazing! Even though the selection of food was good, it was still 'lounge food' after all and tasted quite bland to be honest. Thus I headed next for a shower and the attendant brought me to one of the available shower rooms.

Yakitori, sushi and nuts with orange juice

Quite an embarrassing incident occurred here though. As I was getting ready to fully undress I suddenly hear a click on the shower doors. Apparently I had forgotten to lock the door, but I was still surprised since I thought the lounge attendant would have been keeping tabs on who is occupying the shower rooms. Fortunately not too much harm was done and I enjoyed a refreshing shower before my long flight across the Pacific. The bathroom was also furnished with an amenity kit, clean towels, and hangers for my clothes.

Shower room

After the shower, I returned to the lounge, chose a cosy corner by the window and picked up a newspaper while waiting for the boarding to commence. With the sense of excitement building up to be back in ANA's First Class, I decided to head out earlier and walked over to the boarding gate, leaving what is perhaps the best airport lounge I have been to in the United States.

First Class boarding pass
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: Platinum
The shower head is still broken in the SFO IFL I see.

Nice trip report!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:18 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thank you for a very interesting and information write up together with good pictures of your trip up to your flight to Narita, very much look forward to reading the rest of it.^
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: United
great photos! perhaps it is just me but i find the photos stretched horizontally... they look nice though. =D
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Qatar Gold
again...great photos. eager to see your dining experience on NH
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
Nice photos. What camera do you use?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Very nice start, looking forward to this TR. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.