Search

Not Nearly a Suite: ANA First Square, Park Hyatt Tokyo and Thai A380 F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:07 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Fantastic start and can't wait to see the rest!

Altho I do have a question. The way that shower is set up, can you opaque the glass at all, just in case you have company over? That would be mighty awkward for all parties involved!
Thanks aviatorzz!I don't remember any switch or the presence of curtains to make the glass windows to be opaque. Maybe if you use enough hot water to create a sauna effect? But definitely the Andaz SD is more suitable for couples or solo travellers rather than families...

Originally Posted by frankmu
The shower head is still broken in the SFO IFL I see.

Nice trip report!
Oh yes frankmu, now that you mention it the only problem was the spoilt shower head! Fortunately the shower cubicle is enclosed with a glass door, otherwise it would cause a lot of water to drip out to the main bathroom area.

Originally Posted by BA5E
Thank you for a very interesting and information write up together with good pictures of your trip up to your flight to Narita, very much look forward to reading the rest of it.^
Thank you BA5E!

Originally Posted by opusone
great photos! perhaps it is just me but i find the photos stretched horizontally... they look nice though. =D
Thanks opusone, the photos were captured using a wide angle lens, hence the 'stretched' look.

Originally Posted by Lounge Expert
again...great photos. eager to see your dining experience on NH
Thank you Lounge Expert!

Originally Posted by gster78
Nice photos. What camera do you use?
Thank you gster78! I am using a Canon 5D mk II, though some of the later photos will be on the Fujifilm XE-1.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Very nice start, looking forward to this TR. ^
Thank you Madone59!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:23 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Congratulations on another awesome trip report, your photography skills are among the best I see here
Thank you ma91mph! I hope I could still continue to take my DSLR with me while travelling otherwise the photos might not be that beautiful!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Nice start to what promises to be a great report. Beautiful pics, although some of us neanderthals would have liked some clearer close-up pics of the front desk area.
Thank you SFO777, I need to learn more from you on taking close-up pics, but then again my lens collection lack a telezoom lens!

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
What?

That's a beautiful, um, front desk area.

Yes indeed, I think maybe that's one of the reason I like the Andaz SD too!

Originally Posted by edoa
Great Trip Report so far quirrow!
I really like the Pictures, may I ask, how do you take them, some seem to have quite a long exposure time, do you always use a tripod?
Looking forward to the rest of the TR!
Thank you edoa! None of the photos were taken with a tripod, too cumbersome to bring one while travelling... Instead I just ramp up the ISO levels to around 800, use a set of steady hands to take a shot at around 1/5-1/10 shutter speed, with aperture at around f/4

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Yes. The desk area is very nicely decorated.

And that shower!! I've stayed in rooms where the shower had a view into the bedroom area, but this one really takes the cake!
Thank you jsmeeker! Just remember to close the window curtains in the room while showering since the window overlooks the apartment opposite and we do not want any lawsuit of indecent exposure do we?

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Keep up the Good Work Quirrow ^
Thank you Short hair Francis! Looking forward to your new report as well especially on AF J since that is rarely reported around here.

Originally Posted by DL17
Awesome TR. I loved the pictures. Could you please tell me what camera style and brand you have?

Thank you
Thank you DL17! I would probably do a review of the camera, lens and all at the end of the report for better clarity and avoid repetitiveness.

Originally Posted by mkjr
good start on the TR....

It is funny how SFO has one of the best food courts now since before the renovation, it had the shitttiest one I had ever been in…in fact, I really hated the dump that it was back in around 2000. It was a crap hole.
Thank you mkjr! Thankfully, I do not remember going through SFO before 2000 or maybe I was not that much of a food connoiseur back then...

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Looking forward to more!
Thank you hamburglar! Is your handle from the McDonald's character back in the 1980s?

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hoping the wire hanger was brought in by the OP. Hate to think that is how UA is outfitting the IFL shower...but it wouldn't surprise me.

Great report so far. Really looking forward to the rest. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you goodeats21! Why would I bring a wire hanger for my travels? Sorry to disappoint but that was supplied by UA.

Originally Posted by TomVexille
Great photos and looking forward to reading the rest.
Thank you TomVexille!

Originally Posted by thetobster12345
what kind of camera did you take the photos with? they're amazing!
Thank you thelobster12345! Again I will write about the camera I am using towards the end of the report.

Originally Posted by SANbound
Great start and amazing photos! Its always nice to see someone capture my hometown of SAN! Sounds like you enjoyed your short stay. Looking forward to the rest!
Thank you SANbound! Indeed, I enjoyed my stay there, and I would probably be back there again for an extended visit!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:33 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

ANA First Square NH7 SFO to NRT Part 1

NH7 San Francisco SFO – Tokyo Narita NRT
Codeshare: UA9689
STD-STA: 12:25 – 15:25 (+1)
Actual: 13:07 – 15:02 (+1)
B777-300ER JA789A
Seat 2K

Yes, I am really excited to be back onboard ANA’s First Class, as I am a fan of ANA and their First Class offering. So that means I was early to arrive at the gate as they have not even commenced boarding. As usual, those with special needs were allowed to board first, and next comes the First Class passengers. There was 2 Asian businessman standing in front of me who would also be seated in First Class. If I remember correctly there would be another passenger in First but that’s about it.

All Nippon Airways first class cabin

As I boarded the plane, I received a pleasant welcome and was directed to my seat. Since it is summer time and I had no jacket or outerwear, there was no attendant who came with clothes hangers. They did offer to help with the luggage but it was a simple task to place it on the overhead compartments, or in my case I could just slide it under the seat. That’s the whole part of being seated in First, no lack of space for baggage!

First Square seat

When I got settled down on my seat, the chief purser Y. Wakaki welcomed me and enquired for my drink choices. And ANA has now provided even champagne as a pre-departure beverage. On my previous flight into USA with ANA First, they did offer drinks but not any alcoholic beverages. A glass of Krug with the latest Rimowa-branded amenity kit was a fitting photo to represent ANA’s First Class I guess! The lead attendant serving the First Class cabin with the purser H. Okada was the one serving the champagne.

Rimowa amenity kit & champagne

As an added bonus all the other 3 passengers were seated at the other half-section of the First Class cabin, as I was the only one seated in the ‘starboard’ side of the plane. And the First Class seats here are a reason for the title, as I did not really get a ‘suite’, not even in the hotels I stayed at in Japan, but as I mentioned before I liked the comfort of the seat and it was all that matters in the end.

Side compartments on the seat that blocks out 2 windows

The lead attendant then returned again with a tray full of amenities and it included oddities such as the ‘sleep support system’, ‘face mask’, ‘face and body sheet’ and ‘leg refreshing sheet’. While unique, these items are supposed to add to passenger’s wellbeing during the flight. The sleep support system is actually a small card with a square that could be pinched to emit the scent of lavender that should enable passengers for a better sleep. The tray also includes useful stuff like customs and immigration forms for Japan-bound passengers. It is all these little details that I actually like ANA as an airline, and while she was here, I took the chance to ask for playing cards and postcards. When she returned it was with 2 postcards in hand, depicting ANA’s new 787 and a gold-liveried 737.

Customs form and postcards

In between the attendant also returned with a selection of newspapers and magazines, along with a hot towel. After filling out the immigration form on the wonderful pull-out table, I took more photos around the cabin and checked out the rest of the stuff on the seat including the blanket, a pair of slippers, Sony noise-cancelling headphones and pyjamas. The purser came back to enquire if I would like to change to my pyjamas before take-off. Since I wanted to have a meal, I would just change into the pyjamas when I wanted to take a rest.

View from seat 2K

The taxi to the runway was short compared to waiting times at LAX. Along the ride to the runway, I managed to do more plane-spotting. This was when I was wishing that the First Square actually has all 3 windows accessible to passengers! Shortly after, we were airborne with fantastic views of San Francisco. With it being a clear day, I was also able to spot the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge. Though once again, I had to stretch out my hands and be a contortionist to take photos out of the windows, all because of the compartments on the right side blocking the window views. But at least I was on the ‘right’ side indeed since the views out of SF was spectacular on that day!

Lufthansa A380 at SFO

United jumbos at SFO

Take-off views from SF

San Francisco coastline

Aerial view of city by the bay – San Francisco

There was some passenger announcement from the Captain who apologized for the delay though he indicated we are still scheduled to arrive in Tokyo on time. While most airlines might just ignore the delay at pullback since it is an international long-haul flight on a widebody jet, ANA follows the Japanese culture at apologizing for even the slightest delay. And seated up front, I do not mind the delay at all! With all that being said, the flight attendant appeared again serving another hot towel, presented me with the menu and asked me for my beverage choice. I ordered the aromatic kabosu drink and with an orange juice, expecting the special Satsuma mandarin juice. She then came back with 2 glasses of beverage and the amuse bouche.

The menu for today’s flight were:

Kaiseki Cuisine

Inventive, gracious, haute cuisine with a hyperfocus on seasonal eating.
The finest ingredients are carefully selected from the fare of the day.
Enjoy flavor highlights from a medley of seasonal delicacies.

Sakizuke
Boiled bok choy and quick-seared scallop soaked in seafood broth

Zensai
Grilled squid with egg yolk and pickled red turnip
Simmered ivory shell in soy-based sauce
Fishcake with sweet corn
Smoked duck
Asparagus and bacon roll
Preserved firefly squid in soy sauce

Nimonowan
Ice fish wrapped in bean curd crepe
Japanese vermicelli with plum flavor

Otsukuri
Quick-seared albacore
Quick-poached jumbo shrimp
Quick-seared sea bream

Kobachi
Deep-fried shrimp fishcake with grated daikon radish

Sunomono
Quick-seared beef with sesame and ponzu citron soy sauce

Shusai
Grilled pomfret with saikyo miso taste [220 kcal]

Steamed rice
Onboard-steamed rice (Toyama Yumegokochi), miso soup and assorted Japanese pickles

Wagashi
Three varieties of amanatto—Sugar-glazed chestnuts, toroku beans and sweet potatoes

Modern European

Refined, contemporary European cuisine. Specialties from our chef,
prepared with seasonal ingredients handpicked at the peak of freshness.

Appetizer plate
Caviar with traditional garnish
Crabmeat and apple salad with cocktail sauce
Roasted duck with orange dressing
Salad Nicoise

Garden salad
Served with a choice of dressings—Japanese yuzu citron, tomato or creamy black pepper

Main plate
Fillet of beef steak with Provence-style [394 kcal]
Sauteed Chilean seabass with basil clam sauce [423 kcal]
Veal cutlet with mustard sauce [453 kcal]

Selection of breads Please choose from four kinds of breads to suit your taste.
Served with flavorful premium Isigny butter or extra-virgin olive oil

Cheese plate
Camembert Maytag blue Comté

Dessert
Assorted ice cream and sherbet
Chocolate mousse cake with raspberry sauce
Warm apple tart tatin with vanilla ice cream
Selection of fresh seasonal fruit

Petits fours

Sake Accompaniment

Please be sure to taste our carefully prepared cocktail snacks —
perfect for accompanying your choice of alcoholic beverage.

Fishcake with kombu kelp
Mullet roe cured with soy-based sauce
Three kinds of deep-fried fishcakes
Grilled chicken teriyaki

Light Dishes

We invite you to enjoy light dishes whenever you wish.
You’ll find these dishes are a delicious follow-up to alcoholic beverages.

Hot Japanese udon noodles garnished with chikuwa fishcake tempura and wakame seaweed
Quik-seared salmon and salmon roe served over steamed rice
Tea-and-rice with salt-pickled takana green
IPPUDO “FURUSATO” (soy sauce) ramen
Potato and leek potage
Bagel sandwich—Grilled chicken, bacon, tomato, lettuce and tartar sauce
Summer vegetable keema curry

Refreshing Fare

A light menu for your refreshment before arrival.
Choose either Japanese or European.

Petite Japanese course

Kobachi Simmered semi-dried daikon radish in soy-based sauce

Shusai Salt-grilled Spanish mackerel [150 kcal]

Steamed rice, miso soup and assorted Japanese pickles or rice porridge

Accompaniment for steamed rice Choose from three condiments.
Dried seaweed
Natto (fermented soybeans)
Dried bonito flakes with ginger flavor

Petite European course

Main dish Seafood paella [585 kcal]

Bread roll
Accompanied with flavorful premium Isigny butter and
a choice of strawberry confiture, marmalade or honey

Selection of fresh seasonal fruit

Crisp brown rice flakes with milk

Take care not to swallow fish bones found in the dishes above.

Hot towel before the meal

Amuse bouche of salmon layered with cream cheese, seared mushrooms, pork liver with jalapeńo, and yuzu cheese breadsticks.

Today’s amuse bouche comprises of salmon layered with cream cheese, seared mushrooms, pork liver with jalapeńo, and yuzu cheese breadsticks. I did not like the pate of pork liver at all but loved the breadsticks which was crunchy and full of flavour. The breadsticks are a common feature in all of the amuse bouche, though fortunately the pate isn’t. While the kabosu tasted fantastic, the orange juice turns out to be like any other orange juice in any other airline. Thus I enquired if this was the special orange juice from Japan. As it turns out it wasn’t but having rectified that, the attendant ensured I would get the special orange juice during the meal which actually was sweeter and a delight to have. Definitely beats the crap out of Tropicana orange juices!

The beverage menu is as follow:

Champagne

Krug Grande Cuvée
pinot noir / pinot meunier / chardonnay

White

Clos Pegase Mitsuko’s Vineyard Chardonnay 2010
Carneros/Napa Valley, California, U.S.A.
chardonnay

Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2010 Maison Pierre Ponnelle
Chablis, Burgundy, France
chardonnay

Rüdesheimer Berg Roseneck Spätlese 2008 Weingut August Kesseler
Rheingau, Germany
riesling

Avondale Anima 2010
Paarl, South Africa
chenin blanc

Red

Stonestreet Monument Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Alexander Valley, California, U.S.A.
cabernet sauvignon

La Follette Sangiacomo Vineyard Pinot Noir 2010
Sonoma Coast, California, U.S.A.
pinot noir

Justin Reserve Tempranillo 2010
Paso Robles, California, U.S.A.
tempranillo

Bramasole Cortona 2008 La Braccesca
Cortona, Tuscany, Italy
syrah

Port

Graham’s 30 Years Old Tawny
Douro, Portugal

Prestige Sake and Shochu

Rokkasen Junmai Hitotoki
Rokkasen (Yamagata)

Tohokuizumi Junmaiginjo Yamadanishikijunmai
Takahashi Shuzoten (Yamagata)

Iwakikotobuki Junmai
Suzuki Shuzoten Nagaigura (Yamagata)

Kakutama Plum Wine
Satasouji Shouten (Kagoshima)

Murao
Murao Shuzo (Kagoshima)

Satoh Mugi
Satoh Shuzo (Kagoshima)

Hinoryu Asahi
Asahi Shuzo (Kagoshima)

Beverages

Seasonal Offer
Mikan Fruit Juice: “Satsuma Mandarin Juice”

There was a whole lot coffee and tea varieties to choose from that seems to be standard on ANA’s menu so I would not list the whole menu but they were one of the most drink list I have ever seen on any airline.

Inflight meal and entertainment, best way to spend time in First!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I need to fly F more often.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
I need to fly F more often.
Yes indeed, F makes flying really special!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

ANA First Square NH7 SFO to NRT Part 2

There was quite a long break between the amuse bouche and the main courses which could be due to the long time I took to enjoy the amuse bouche while choosing the movie I would have with the meal service. I eventually settled on the 'One Piece Z' animated film since I did follow the comic book series to a certain episode.

Sakizuke of boiled bok choy and quick-seared scallop soaked in seafood broth

Having picked the Kaiseki meal again since the western choices did not appeal to me, the service started with the Zensai and Sakizuke. The sakizuke of bok choy and scallops was like a Chinese starter and it suited my palate. As usual though, the zensai is the star of the meal. I liked the variety of flavours it provides with the grilled squid with egg yolk and pickled red turnip was my favourite. The adventurous tasting one in this plate was the preserved firefly squid in soy sauce. It has again a slimy taste not unlike that of oyster. I have to mention again that the zensai has so many flavours in one plate that there will always be something one likes in the dish.

Zensai platter

While serving the zensai and sakizuke, I forgot to mention that I also wanted the caviar and this was served next after the zensai. Compared to the caviar I had on my previous flight out of Japan, the one provided out of the States tastes nicer. It was a different supplier as I took photos of both caviar courses and compared them. The taste was slightly sweeter in today's caviar and the texture was more palatable.

Caviar with traditional garnish

The next course was back to the Kaiseku and the nimonowan was served. This dish created a buffer between courses and refreshes the palate. I also enjoyed this broth of ice fish wrapped in bean curd crepe served with rice vermicelli in plum flavour. The sour taste of the vermicelli was just right and it was a very smooth and light dish that aims to tingle the taste buds for what is to come next.

Nimonowan of ice fish wrapped in bean curd crepe and japanese vermicelli with plum flavor

And next is the 3 variety of otsukuri or quick seared seafood. Today's selection comprises of quick poached jumbo prawns, sea bream and albacore. Surprisingly the prawns was the nicest but there was only one piece of it. The albacore was a total failure I think since it is very dry and does not seem fresh at all.

Otsukuri of albacore, jumbo prawn and sea bream

The next course was the main course and for this flight the attendant asked if I wanted the rice and miso soup together. Since I was asked, I requested for half portion of rice. All of the remaining courses was served together on the tray. The fried fish cake with daikon radish was wonderful and tasted like fried fish balls common in many East Asian cuisine, which is a street food, and once again shows how kaiseki cuisine does not always use expensive ingredients but utilize what is best for a particular season. The seared beef was served cold and slightly overcooked, while the pomfret was sweet and tasty but it was not as good as the tilefish I had earlier this year. It was also interesting to note the use of beef in sunomono or even featured in a Kaiseki cuisine.

Shusai, kobachi and sunomono with miso soup and rice

Sunomono of quick-seared beef with sesame and ponzu citron soy sauce

Kobachi of deep-fried shrimp fishcake with grated daikon radish

As the attendant returned to clear the meal tray, she enquired if I would like dessert, and I ordered the western dessert on top of the Japanese amanatto. The mango sorbet and vanilla ice cream was served first and while it was good, I was slightly disappointed there was no more Pierre Hermé dessert creations on offer for the flight, since on my last flight with NH F, that was the best dessert I ever had in a plane! The amanatto was enjoyed with a cup of Japanese green tea to end the meal. It was another satisfying meal though the service was slightly rushed and it just didn't feel as splendid this time round. Which was odd considering this was a day flight.

Assorted ice cream and sherbet

Wagashi of sugar-glazed chestnuts, toroku beans and sweet potatoes and green tea
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by quirrow
Yes indeed, F makes flying really special!
If you've flown JL in F (with the latest seats), how would you compare it to ANA?

JL F is the best in flight product I've ever experienced. I've only flown NH in Y and C, neither of which have impressed me much... except for one flight 10 years back (the bar on the 747 was really cool).
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

ANA First Square NH7 SFO to NRT Part 3

After a hearty meal, it was time to walk it off by going round the plane. First stop was the small business class cabin which was quite full. In between the business cabins is a large galley with a snack bar. I guess I know now where to get small bites to enjoy with the inflight entertainment on ANA. The 'sleep support' system and other amenities are also provided in a small basket.

Inflight snack bar

ANA business class cabin

The main business class cabin onboard the 777-300ER is very huge, and while it had a healthy occupancy, there was a few empty seats here and there. I picked one empty seat by the window and tried out the various seat functions. Personally I like the colour of the cabin as the white and blue reminds me of the view outside. It was also more striking and brighter than the grey used in many Business Class cabins. Thus the whole seat felt more spacious. I compare this to Asiana's 'Quadra Smartium' business class seats on their 777 which also has the same staggered 1-2-1 configuration.

Business class seat on the 777-300ER

View out of the business class seat of the engine and wing

Tray table in the business class

Seat controls in business class

In addition, the meal tray is also beautifully stored underneath the TV section and the design was much more robust. This was one of the reasons why I found ANA's First Class to be superior as the cabin is fitted with quality trims and amenities. It was also comfortable enough to sleep in when I put the seat down to a full lie-flat position. The window seat is the one I would choose if travelling alone as there was additional storage on the tray table and I would definitely be satisfied with the Business Class cabin on ANA.

ANA business class seat in full lie-flat bed

Looking up from the seat in business class

At the back, there was a small Premium Economy class cabin in a 2-4-2 seating arrangement. This cabin was nearly full and the lights have been dimmed for passengers to sleep. At first glance it seems similar to that like Cathay Pacific's Premium Economy. And in the last section of the aircraft is the Economy class cabin, which is unique in having a 2-4-3 seating configuration. This would definitely work better for groups or families travelling together and yet still provide space for passengers like other premium airlines. Economy class was 100% full and it was not surprising considering ANA only has one section of economy class cabin.

ANA economy class cabin

Turndown service on ANA first class

Upon returning to the privacy of the First Class cabin, I changed into my pyjamas and the flight attendant had already converted the seat into a bed complete with duvet and a comfortable blanket. This was the difference in First and Business class - the service and level of amenities (and not to forget the Rimowa kit). I was able to get a few hours of sleep and woke up as the plane was near somewhere along the international date line. This meant there was probably another 4 more hours to the flight so I decided it was time to call the attendant for some umeshu and snacks while I switched on the channel for another movie. I picked the movie 'Identity Thief' this time round and had a good laugh though I hoped I did not disturb the rest of the cabin too much. On top of the pralines, chocolates and rice crackers that the attendant provided, the purser also asked if I would be interested in dining before our arrival into Tokyo. Since I knew ANA has introduced 'Ippudo' ramen recently on their First Class, I thought of giving it a try. It was just too bad they did not have the ramen with the pork slices, so I had the 'Furusato soy sauce' ramen that was good but average at best. I also had more of the Satsuma mandarin juice which is a seasonal beverage on ANA.

Rice crackers and kakutama plum wine

Satsuma mandarin juice with bottled water provided after first meal service

Ippudo furusato ramen

After the meal and the movie, there was about an hour left into the flight and I decided to change into my normal clothes. Upon returning to my seat, the purser wanted to collect my pyjamas and I asked if I could actually bring them back since I kind of like their pyjamas. Instead, the purser gave me a new set and even found a cloth bag to store it and present it to me. Another distinctive feature of Japanese hospitality! Even after asking for all these stuff, the purser asked if I would like any more food! Sadly I just had to decline as I find ANA flight between the west coast and Japan to be too short for a full 2 meal service. And upon understanding I would be travelling in Japan for a few days, she gave some recommendations on where to go and what to see in Tokyo at this time of the year. After she left to attend to other passengers, I took more photos of the cabin and all the goodies that I have accumulated on this flight, including the stationery and notebook set that I purchased on ANA's duty-free.

First class seat touch-screen controller with inflight entertainment controller

Tray drawer underneath the TV console

Some other observations on my second flight with ANA First Class is that the seat has multiple storage compartments that it can be easy to forget stuff left inside any of them. Some of these compartments are small and really designed to fit certain items only like mobile phones and a bottle of water. There is also one for the headphones. Underneath the TV console is a pull out tray for laptops and magazines, and most probably the flight attendant will remind passengers about stuff left in any of these compartments, as mine did before disembarkation.

Flight plan on descent

The descent was smooth and the edge of Narita was actually quite clear though it was supposed to be raining in Tokyo. This just goes to show how far away the city is from Narita. The front door was used for disembarkation and thus First Class passengers were able to leave from the front without holding up the business class passengers. This meant no need for awkward disembarkation. Immigration again was easy to pass through with minimal wait of maybe around 10 minutes as there was a couple of people in front of me. And by the time I head to baggage claim, my luggage has already been loaded onto a cart. Talk about Japanese efficiency! With the Kaiseki meal and the new Rimowa kits, ANA first class is perhaps my favourite way .to fly across the Pacific. This flight reinforces ANA as one of my favourite airlines to fly with besides Cathay Pacific though I have to give their business class a go one of these days just to compare it against Cathay Pacific which recently won the 'best business class' in the world award.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by quirrow
I have to give their business class a go one of these days just to compare it against Cathay Pacific which recently won the 'best business class' in the world award.
I love CX's J seats. However, the food is still terrible. Based on your pics, it appears that NH's seats might be better than CX's.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Photo reporters take note: This is how it's done.

Great photos, quirrow! ANA's First Class looks fantastic! I hope to use some of my UA miles on it someday. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Quirrow, what a great report. I throughly enjoyed your previous one, and was very happy to see this one up.

I know there has been a lot of raving about the ANA First Squares. While the food on ANA looks exquisite in both Business and First, I'm somewhat torn about the design of the First Squares seat. The coloring and shape of the seat gives the impression of an office cubicle rather than a First Class "suite". Also the side panel they could do away with as it blocks the views/natural light, as well as adding a sense of confinement. At least that's the impression I've gotten by looking at the pictures, but maybe it's different IRL?

Looking forward to the next installments, and btw it's a very nice wallet you've got there!

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:52 am

Excellent!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Very nice trip report! Fantastic pictures; I especially like the food pictures in post #36. Looking forward to the rest of the TR.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
What an excellent start, Quirrow. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:12 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you've flown JL in F (with the latest seats), how would you compare it to ANA?

JL F is the best in flight product I've ever experienced. I've only flown NH in Y and C, neither of which have impressed me much... except for one flight 10 years back (the bar on the 747 was really cool).
I love CX's J seats. However, the food is still terrible. Based on your pics, it appears that NH's seats might be better than CX's.
I am a huge fan of JL Y in the past, but sadly I have never taken their F before, though it is on of my to-do-list!

I tried CX old J seats (the herringbone style) and loved them but have yet tried CX new J. In terms of colour scheme I guess CX new J is more neutral though I think the foot cubicle when lie flat might be better in NH's J since it is more cubical at the end compared to CX which I believe is more triangular, thus more space. I wouldn't mind either seriously and it would also depend on your dining choices (Chinese vs Japanese)

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Photo reporters take note: This is how it's done.

Great photos, quirrow! ANA's First Class looks fantastic! I hope to use some of my UA miles on it someday. Have a great trip!
Thank you Seat 2A for such flattering comments! Do give ANA's F a try, and it seems they are going to upgrade their offerings a notch with better mattress pads, new pyjamas, and star-chef cuisines!

Originally Posted by LH4116
Quirrow, what a great report. I throughly enjoyed your previous one, and was very happy to see this one up.

I know there has been a lot of raving about the ANA First Squares. While the food on ANA looks exquisite in both Business and First, I'm somewhat torn about the design of the First Squares seat. The coloring and shape of the seat gives the impression of an office cubicle rather than a First Class "suite". Also the side panel they could do away with as it blocks the views/natural light, as well as adding a sense of confinement. At least that's the impression I've gotten by looking at the pictures, but maybe it's different IRL?

Looking forward to the next installments, and btw it's a very nice wallet you've got there!

Cheers.
Thank you LH4116, I did like the colour scheme in both ANA F and J since I thought they matched the corporate identity and the First Square is really not as bad as it looks, though I agree on the point that it blocks the views (probably my only complaint). Though my personal experience is that I got one of the best sleep in this cabin, which might be attributed to the excellent meal I always enjoy at the start of the flight!

And I think you're referring to my passport wallet. That I got from one of the outlets in the US

Originally Posted by AndrewE
Excellent!
Thank you AndrewE!

Originally Posted by broenor
Very nice trip report! Fantastic pictures; I especially like the food pictures in post #36. Looking forward to the rest of the TR.
Thank you broenor! Will complete the rest soon since I am nearly done with the report on my blog. Just need to migrate it over.

Originally Posted by dat4life
What an excellent start, Quirrow. Looking forward to the rest.
Thank you dat4life!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.