Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Business class on EVA, Lufthansa, Austrian, and more!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class on EVA, Lufthansa, Austrian, and more!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow Business class on EVA, Lufthansa, Austrian, and more!

Hi Folks,

I recently redeemed 90,000 US Airways miles for a business class award ticket between the US and North Asia, and had a stopover in Europe on the outbound. The intent to try EVA's business class since they just joined the Star Alliance, and also to check out two of the newly rebranded Hyatt properties in France.

You can find the installments to the trip report below:

Introduction
Club International Seattle
Lufthansa Business Class Seattle to Frankfurt
Lufthansa Senator Lounge Frankfurt
Lufthansa Business Class Frankfurt to Nice
Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee
Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez
Park Hyatt Zurich
Swiss Senator Lounge Zurich
Austrian Business Class Zurich to Vienna
Austrian Business Class Vienna to Tokyo Narita
EVA Air Business Class Tokyo Narita to Taipei
Le Meridien Taipei
W Taipei
EVA Air Infinity Lounge Taipei
EVA Air Royal Laurel Class Taipei to San Francisco
Thoughts on Nice, Monte Carlo, Cannes, Zurich, and Taipei

Thanks for reading, and as always any questions/comments are welcome!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:10 am

SPG properties in Taipei look like real winners, thanks for the review.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Lucky, having been to Taipei many times, I enjoyed reading about EVA Air and the W Taipei. Fantastic trip report!

I would say EVA Air has always been a notch above China Airlines in term if quality, reliability, service, and safety, so I'm not surprised that BR went to *A and CI went to ST... Sure took long enough for BR to join an alliance though. I'm considering jumping ship from Delta and SkyTeam over to ANA/JAL/UA/BR and go for *A status...

Also, the breakfast spread at the W is pretty typical at hotels of that natural. Asians tend to think that Americans have these huge spreads at breakfast and I think guests have come to expect that... And are immensely let down when breakfasts in the states is processed continental crap... Even some budget hotels have been done up to look glamorous and also offer spreads that rival luxury hotel chains in the US.

We stayed at a "motel" in Kaohshiung that was tucked away in an alley but on the inside looked like a Westin and had a grand spread at breakfast, for about $79 USD. Then again, your comment about style over substance is true and seems to be the norm.

If you ever get a chance to go back to Taipei I would highly recommend a stay at Grand Formosa Regent Taipei. Truly an amazing experience there and their breakfast spread is INCREDIBLE, and offered to all guests, regardless of your status

(Sorry for the long post, my family is from Taipei so I have a sentimental attachment there)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
My family is also from Taipei... You can get very cheap rates from non-chain hotels. I think the best deal for chain hotels in Taipei has to be Hyatt Taipei at 12K points a night near 101. The hotel is being remodeled right now and you should be able to get a rennovated room.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:50 am

Great report as always, Lucky!

The BR food seems a little skimpy, no? Or maybe I've just been spoiled by the food on Austrian...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: FT
is the Eva J manufactured by the same company that does the CX J. it really seems very similar.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Great report!!! Excited to try the new EVA Royal Laurel in May. What would be the best two seats for a couple? I wish my +1 would let me try a single seat on it +_+
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
is the Eva J manufactured by the same company that does the CX J. it really seems very similar.
Yep, sure is!
Originally Posted by SKYEG
What would be the best two seats for a couple? I wish my +1 would let me try a single seat on it +_+
In theory the two seats together in the center would be best, though in practice they're actually so private that you're not going to be able to talk to one another without leaning way forward. So I'd suggest just doing single seats behind one another.
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
The BR food seems a little skimpy, no? Or maybe I've just been spoiled by the food on Austrian...
Oh, definitely is skimpy. One of the more disappointing business class meals I've had for sure.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:52 am

Interesting the the FA had the drink on the plane, by passed security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.