Search

To Rio de Janeiro with AA in business, and a visit to the Cidade Maravilhosa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
To Rio de Janeiro with AA in business, and a visit to the Cidade Maravilhosa

A TAM plane curves around Rio de Janeiro's Sugar Loaf mountain after taking off from Santos Dumont Airport.

Welcome to my third Flyertalk trip report. For those curious, you may view my previous reports here:

A trip to Garden City, Kansas (GCK) with AA (many large pics included)

To ICN with Oneworld from BOS, in AA J and JL (Many pictures included)

Background: This trip starts all the way back in February. After finding this fare: [FARE GONE] AA: BOS-GIG $559 RT AI, 4.1 cpm possible, I was able to book one trip for myself. After a near-disaster when ticketing due to AA's computer system choking on two holds I had for the trip, and an EXP agent and myself "gently nudging " Web Services to reinstate my hold so I could book it, I was able to ticket the dates I wanted over Memorial Day weekend in the USA. I then successfully applied my AA SWUs to clear into business class on both ways. With three days in Rio de Janeiro, I was fortunate to have great weather, and was able to see almost all of the major sights, eat lots of great food, and have an excellent trip. So, without further delay, this is my trip report for Boston-Rio de Janeiro and three days in Brazil!

This trip report is in three parts, to skip ahead click on the links below:

American Airlines Boston-New York JFK-Rio de Janeiro Galeão (GIG)

Sheraton Barra, and the city and surroundings of Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro Galeão airport (GIG), American Airlines GIG-Dallas/Fort Worth Airport-Boston
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Other than being extremely late and causing me to have to pass on visiting the JFK Flagship Lounge for the first time, the BOS-JFK flight was the typical AA 737 F service on a very very short flight, which is to say takeoff and landing were too close for much of anything to happen!

That said, the late flight ruined my plan to visit the Flagship Lounge, as I left the plane at JFK with maybe 50 minutes before takeoff of my JFK-GIG flight, having to make a connection from the outer reaches of the satellite concourse at Terminal 8 all the way to one end of the main section of Terminal 8. Meanwhile, my AA app on the smartphone showed my seat assignment was changed, from one of the middle seats in the AA 763's 2-2-2 configuration to an aisle on the right side of the plane. After a fairly brisk run across most of Terminal 8, the GA notified me it was due to two broken seats, as both my original seat and the adjacent middle were out of order. With a full flight, I was unable to again change seats.

AA flight 973, JFK-GIG, AA 763 business class, seat 5H

AA's 763 planes continue to feature their angled lie-flat seat. Far from state of the art, AA does plan to replace them on most of the 763s over the next few years with true lie-flats. However, to make matters worse after my involuntary seat change, the reading light at my new seat did not work, and I apologize in advance as some of my pictures did not come out as well as I prefer due to this.

The menu for tonight's flight:

The wine list:

Menu em Português:

For this flight, I pre-ordered the pan-seared halibut. But as always, the best starter is a nice glass of Baileys on the rocks, and being AA, warm nuts!

The starter of cured salmon with poached pear and avocado creme, which was good:

Pan-seared halibut with truffled corn salsa, truffled sweet potato puree, haricots verts, tomato and red onion (halibut ok, haricots verts ok, sweat potato good):

The always welcome AA sundae, in my traditional hot fudge and nuts and whipped cream, which was very good:

After the typical 4-5 hours at best of decent enough sleep on the AA angled J seat, breakfast was served. The main dish of breakfast doesn't necessarily look appetizing but it was not bad at all:

The crew on the flight was overall the highlight, while most of the rest of the flight was average to mediocre (mainly the seat being broken and then the light being broken) the crew was a great one. After a long descent around the hills near Rio de Janeiro we landed at Galeão Airport, where immigration and customs was surprisingly empty. I was into Brazil in under ten minutes from disembarking the plane, reserved a radio taxi and headed through the morning rush hour for the Sheraton in Barra di Tijuca.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Upon arriving at the Sheraton Barra (and butchering an attempt to properly address the desk agent in Portuguese, though fortunately he replied "Yes" when I asked if he fala ingles, I blame my butchering on fatigue ), I found out I was upgraded three levels of room as an SPG Platinum guest to an Executive Suite. My first stay as an actual SPG Platinum and I got that, this is one way to gain my loyalty! The executive suite room included an alarm clock that had an iPod/iPhone dock, a great stroke of luck for me. On every trip, I inevitably forget one thing. This time, it was my iPhone charger! Saved me a trip to the mall to try to find a charger.

Hotel lobby:

Pictures of the executive suite room:

Microwave and minibar area:

The bathroom held L'Occitane amenities, very nice touch and excellent smell:

I thought something looked different about this Sheraton's mouthwash compared to other Sheratons I have stayed at in the US. After comparing with a bottle from a US Sheraton I had with me, I was right!

View from the room towards Barra beach, all rooms have an ocean view due to the hotel's design:

The beach across from the hotel:

For the days I visited, due to my limited time, I went with a private tour guide, the exceptional Manu Peclat. It was an excellent call, as Manu helped me visit all of the sights that could be seen and was very helpful throughout the entire trip including restaurant recommendations, and ended up eating at an excellent churrascaria nearby to the Sheraton Barra at his guidance. I fully recommend him if it is your first time or if your time in Rio is limited.

Some pictures around Rio de Janeiro:

The Escadaria Selarón:

The Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho, more popularly known as the Maracanã:

And yes, the Cristo Redentor/Christ the Redeemer Statue, hard to do justice with a picture but I tried anyway!

More pictures of the city may be found here: Rio de Janeiro

It was an awesome 3 days in Rio de Janeiro, a beautiful city that, as long as one avoids the favelas, was quite safe. I never once felt as though I was potentially in any bad situation. and I wish to go back as soon as I can again and hopefully stay a little longer. After my time was unfortunately up all too soon, Manu dropped me off at Galeão Airport for my flights back to Boston.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rio de Janeiro Galeão airport (GIG), American Airlines GIG-DFW-BOS

Rio de Janeiro Galeão airport (GIG), American Airlines GIG-Dallas/Fort Worth Airport-Boston

I arrived at Terminal 2 around 5 hours before my flight's scheduled departure. This ended up being a good thing, as I was able to see most of the airport, and go through exit customs when it was almost dead. If you get there about 2 hours before departure, expect quite a wait! Seemed to be at least 45 minutes for the people who got there then, due to the number of late flights departing GIG for North America and other points.

Curbside on the departures level:

One of my personal favorite things to see at any airport, the departures and arrivals board:

TAAG Angola Airlines apparently has a business class and a first class; once the TAAG flight was done checking in everyone, the AA checkin folks took over their spots:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/8...c51c6ab6_c.jpg

Airport interior:

After passing security and customs, I headed downstairs to the lounge area. There are currently two lounges at GIG international departures, best described as the temporary Admirals Club, and the other club where everyone else goes. I accessed the Admirals Club (which was a room formerly operated by GOL from what I could tell) by virtue of being AA EXP or traveling on a business class ticket. The temporary Admirals Club, empty now before all of the rest of the people arrived before their flights:

Part of the seating area:

Glasses and some snacks:

Beverages of the nonalcoholic and alcoholic varieties, and some soup:

Dessert-style treats and silverware:

Salads and sandwiches:

Coffee machine (made an alright hot chocolate):

Most importantly as always for me, the loo:

I then went over to the other lounge, which is still operated by GOL. This I accessed as a Priority Pass cardholder. The lounge attendant, who had earlier directed me to the AA lounge (the GOL desk is immediately at the entrance to the lounge area, with the AA lounge off to the side beyond it), seemed slightly miffed that I was now trying to (and succeeded to) get into his lounge. Oh well!

This lounge was straight out crowded. Barely a seat to be found. Apparently, all non-Oneworld carriers end up using this lounge for their business class customers, including UA, DL, and US, who all leave around the same time give or take an hour. This creates one very full lounge! No pictures of the food here? Why? Because it was the exact same as the AA lounge! They must have the same catering until AA fully installs an Admirals Club at GIG. Bathrooms were fairly similar.

Crowded lounge:

Back room with couches where I ended up finding a seat:

Public phone inside the lounge?
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3791/8...8df9e521_o.jpg

This is why I have lounge access. The men's bathroom "urinal" at GIG if you use the main bathrooms out in the terminal (picture taken in 2013 yes, click through if interested but I warn you it may scar you for life!):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/8...7ca16b8c_c.jpg

After my flight took a delay due to an 11 hour late arrival of the inbound plane from DFW, boarding commenced and I settled into 6G (last row, middle seat on the right) for the 10 hour flight up to DFW. Reading light worked this time! Due to the ultra-late inbound, we had a crew put together at the last minute. However, this crew was great, particularly the attendant working my row who was excellent. She was extremely attentive and it was a joy to fly with her. For this flight, I pre-ordered the Chateaubriand.

Menu in English for the return, wine list was the same as before:

Menu em Português:

After reading it on the menu, I was unsure what to think of the starter, however it was among the best single dishes I've had on AA in recent memory:

The chateaubriand was good, but nothing special:

I had another excellent sundae afterwards. Breakfast was alright after another 5-6 hours of alright sleep on the angled seats (I've learned to go into the flight very tired if I have one of these seats coming up, so I can actually sleep at all). Due to the delay, my connection at DFW greatly reduced, but I fortunately had booked a long one just in case! I made my flight DFW-BOS, and 3 1/2 hours later was back at my home airport to make the drive home.

I thank you for reading along if you've made it this far! Rio de Janeiro was an awesome city and I look forward to going again. As always, any comments or feedback are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Aug 12, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Very nice trip report.

While I've never flown AA internationally, I'm a lot more excited about my trip to London (cheap fare plus SWU) this spring after seeing the recent reports on AA Business Class. It really doesn't look too bad at all (sans the old hard product).
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
BOSman I was scared for life after seeing that pic of the urinal but then I looked later at all the foods and nice lounge settings and deserts, etc that I was instantly lifted like a jet plane in a steep ascent hurling away from the quagmire of pestilence from whence I came and soaring far above into the cloudless skies of exuberance...

Good report mate!

Cheers
MM
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
BOSman I was scared for life after seeing that pic of the urinal but then I looked later at all the foods and nice lounge settings and deserts, etc that I was instantly lifted like a jet plane in a steep ascent hurling away from the quagmire of pestilence from whence I came and soaring far above into the cloudless skies of exuberance...

Good report mate!

Cheers
MM
Well there's the nice-ish ones in the lounge, then the trough out in the main terminal. Lounge access was never so welcome.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:25 pm

Eu tenho saudade do Rio.

What a gorgeous city. Last time I was there, I was in business on an AA flight....in the smoking section! Back in 1995. Crazy to think they once allowed smoking on planes.

I'm glad you had a great three days!

Eric
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:43 pm

Great FR!!!
I'm grateful that you have posted pictures of the temporary Admiral's Club at GIG. I haven't been in that lounge, which was formerly VARIG's First Class lounge, since before 2006. Believe it or not, that lounge and the one across it look exactly the same as they did more than 10 years ago, when they first opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.