Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian Airlines Pikake Business Class to Japan 10/13

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Hawaiian Airlines Pikake Business Class to Japan 10/13

Hawaiian Airlines Pikake Business Class to Japan

I was invited to my godson’s baptize in Kaohsiung this past Sunday and since I have some American Airlines miles available, I decide to try an unusual route, other than the typical CX or JAL flights. Hawaiian Airlines is a partner for many US major airlines, and American Airlines actually display HA’s award inventory online. I am able to hold the required HA segment, and then call AA to add the CX segments. Yes Hawaiian Airlines flies nonstop to Taipei from Honolulu but the departure time is very inconvenient, and onboard service is dramatically reduced. I won’t get to experience the full main meal service that looks pretty good from various reports on a Japanese aviation website. Of course the seat will be a typical domestic style first class seat so I will avoid it if I have to do a redeye. My routing is Las Vegas to Osaka Kansai via Honolulu, and Airbus A330-200, in which the premium seats are at least better than Boeing 767s, operates all two flights. I am going to be very honest that I am glad that I do these two flights and have no regrets of doing it, but I will not desperate for a repeat until HA does something with the seats. Those are not acceptable for any flights above six hours, and Hawaiian Airlines is not really heavily discounting these seats. If they sell them like a premium economy seat, I can accept it, but as a business class cabin, they are not good, especially on redeye flights. The service in general is a bit better than I expect but there is a major difference between the LAS-HNL segement and the HNL-KIX segment. The international crews especially the Japanese speaking crews are much better. Here is the full report!

October 2, 2013
HA 7 LAS-HNL Lv0900 Arr1205 Airbus A330-200 N382HA “Iwakeli’l”

New Terminal Three departure curbside:

Hawaiian Airlines actually parks its planes on Terminal One Concourse D, and Gate D35 is pretty much its designated gate. However, check-ins is taken place on the newer Terminal Three, which is good and bad in some ways. Good is that the security line is generally lighter in the morning hours (before the European late afternoon rush), and bad is that you need to arrive a bit earlier to the airport and is a bit of a walk to the HA gates, which requires an additional tram ride. The check-in area is setup in an interesting way and it can be confusing. But they basically have a priority line and encourage you to use the kiosks to print your boarding passes or print your own boarding pass at home. There was a bit of wait for priority line, as the gentleman in front of me needed some receipts for something. However after ten minutes, a very friendly agent, JoAnn, checked in for me. We had a very long chat and she worked for both AA and HA, so she was familiar with the ticketing. Interestingly, she was able to check my bag all the way to Taipei (but I actually spent a night in Kansai before catching the morning flights to TPE). She could not issue the boarding passes on the non-Hawaiian Airlines segment but was curious on my choice of routing. Then she told me that I had access to “the Club at LAS” located in Terminal Two, which was my plan to visit today using my Priority Pass. She tagged my bags with priority tags and would see me later in the gate. It was a pleasant start!

First Class & Premier Priority lane:

Check-in area for Hawaiian Airlines in LAS:

Ticketing hours

There is a Pre line, priority lane and regular line. It is not overly busy this morning and I got to spend a bit of time in the lounge catching up on the news of the government shutdown in CNN. The lounge itself is pretty nice with some comfortable sofas and working areas. There used to be a bathroom in house but that seems to become history. Food wise is fairly limited to some fresh fruit, one kind of Danish, and mostly packaged stuffs. The staffs are pretty nice though. A typical USA lounge experience!

Sign shows Hawaiian Airlines participation

Last edited by Carfield; Oct 14, 2013 at 5:34 pm
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Allegiant Air MD-80s – back in the air after fixing the emergency slides (well checking them)

Hawaiian Airlines uses gate D35 and they seem to board really early. N382HA here at the gate after arriving from HNL a few hours ago…

Gate D35

Boarding began at 8:22am and since door 2 was used, the boarding process went a bit smoother. The plane was almost 100% full.

First Class cabin was filled shortly after I took my seat. For pre-takeoff beverages on both flights, the choices include Guava Juice, sparkling wine, or a Guava mimosa, which was my choice today. It was served in a REAL glass.

Menu was then passed out but please note that there was no choice of entrée. If you have dietary requirement, you need to book your special meals. It is also different from the one being put on line too.

Door was closed early at 8:57am and traffic was not too horrible this morning.

Last edited by Carfield; Oct 14, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:33 am
Original Poster

We passed by this Allegiant Boeing 757.

We took off from R/W25R at 9:14am for our scheduled five hours and fifty-five minutes flight.
Routing – We first flew towards the Bay Area via Death Valley, while reaching 38,000feet, and then passing Bishop and Modesto and the city of San Francisco. We then climbed towards 40,000feet and then descending back to 39,000feet, as we got closer to Hawaii.

View of San Jose

View of the coastline

Seat Pocket – inflight magazine and safety card

Service began with a beverage service, followed by mixed nuts. The breakfast service has improved and it is now served in three separate courses. There is no choice of entrée, but there is a separate egg component, which is vegetarian, and then a carbohydrate side with meat.

First Course
Warm Breakfast Muffin
A selection of fresh seasonal fruit

Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Main Course
Vegetable Omelet with Cheese
Country Potatoes with Portuguese Sausage

Sweet Treat
Passion fruit cheese cake for today’s flight from Las Vegas

I really like the transparent teacups that Hawaiian Airlines uses. They are nice to look at!

I like that they give you a small container to hold the tea bag.

Cabin
There are three rows of seats in the business class cabin on Airbus A330-200s. The legroom is about 45 to 46 inches and it has a six-abreast arrangement.

More pictures of the cabin, after we deplaned at Honolulu. Since we arrived late at Osaka, I knew that this daytime arrival flight would be a good chance to snap some pictures, plus I had a two hours layover anyway.

Seat
1A on the first segment – definitely my preferred seat on HA A330s
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Armrest with personal TV stored here

Recline buttons/Legrest extension/Legrest raising buttons

Legroom shot for the bulkhead seats

Power ports available

Tray table – it could be swivel to the side

Of course a bathroom shot – I like the decorations.

Around 10:30am Hawaiian time, there is a final beverage service with a bag of chips. Not too impressive, but better than nothing!

Prior to arrival
Hawaiian potato chips and Koloa Breeze Rum Brunch

Flight attendants were pretty much going through the motion, and strictly followed the book. They are definitely a bit less tense than your major US airlines crews, and they are generally younger, but also a bit less polished. A very cute boy, Andrew, served our section, so I was happy. However, there was no water runs in between breakfast and snack. You got the vibe that they were ready to get home.

Descent began at 11:37am and here were some views as we descent towards HNL.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Poster

We landed on R/W8L at 12:09pm and parked at gate 27 four minutes later. We were a bit late due to strong headwind, but the plane actually did not have any flight to continue till later in the evening.

What to do between these two hours?

First, some plane spotting time here at EWA Concourse. The flight to Kansai would depart from gate 30, so I decided to wait for the incoming flight arriving early from San Diego. There was a nice window being able to see all the actions at R/W8L.

A few last shots of N382HA – taking a rest break here in HNL

N390HA – just arrived from Taipei

Gate 30 waiting for HA 15 arrival

N385HA “Manaiakalani” just arriving from San Diego at 12:30pm

JL 772 JA711J heading to Narita

HA Boeing 767-300ER N590HA heading to Seattle
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Hawaiian Airlines Airbus A330-200 N388HA heading to Portland

There was really nothing much at the EWA concourse except some limited shops and food outlets. I had thought about finding the Hawaiian Airlines lounge, but really don’t think it was worthwhile for me to walk all the way to the Inter-Island lounge just for a below standard waiting room. I headed to the Delta Sky Club using my Diamond card to gain entry. It was fun watching Erin Burnett trying to have a logical conversation with Rand Paul. No pictures here, as it was a typical Sky Club with the typical amenities, beverages and snacks. However it was nice to have a self-service bar though. I also donated towards a purchase of some pink lemonade cooler to celebrate the Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Sign towards Hawaiian Airlines’ EWA Concourse

HA 449 HNL-KIX Lv1420 Arr1830+1 Airbus A330-200 N385HA “Manaiakalani”

Boarding began at 1:35pm, and when I boarded, most business class passengers were already onboard. Business class was full almost a few months before the flight, and most of them were Japanese passengers heading home. Out of the 18 seats, one was blocked for relief pilot – 3C specifically. Economy class cabin on the other hand was pretty about 2/3 full, with most of the bulkhead seats (which required a fee) empty. They were all marked with a special headrest cover. The flight attendants here were a bit more enthusiastic and Japanese-speaking F/As were doing most of the serving, as their language skills were needed here.

My seat 3A – the only seat left when I picked this flight

The same selection of pre-takeoff beverages was offered, as well as local Hawaiian newspapers.
Pre-departure
Na Pua Signature Cocktail will be served (basically a mixture of Guava juice and sparkling wine)

Menu was then passed out and to give Hawaiian Airlines credits, most of the courses had a photo of what they looked like next to it. Most importantly, it was great to see what the entrée looked like before choosing it.

Magazine pocket also featured an additional Japanese language magazine and duty free catalog

Slippers (not pictured) were already placed in the seat. A very basic amenity kit (basically eyeshades and ear plugs) inside a paper box and a toothbrush set were then passed out. I honestly think Hawaiian Airlines can use a nicer cloth bag, as I felt that most things were just randomly put together. I don’t expect a fancy amenity kit but one of those kits that resemble some of the economy class amenity kits used by Asian airlines will be sufficient.

Pillow and blankets are also upgraded on international flights

Beverage and entrée orders were taken prior to takeoff, and door was closed early at 2:07pm. There were quite a bit of traffic at this afternoon hour. We pushed back at 2:19pm and taxied towards R/W8L. I was surprised that we did not taxi all the way to R/W8R, which was also known as the reef runway, for takeoff. But it saved us some taxi time for sure. We took off at 2:37pm and here were some shots of Hawaii before we headed straight to the Pacific. We did not see land till we got near the Japanese coast eight hours later.

The routing took us towards the Pacific Ocean, as we climbed to 40,000feet and then further up to 41,000feet. We did not reach land till we passed the Island of Miayke Islands, and then we returned to 40,000feet. After descent was begun, we passed the Kii Peninsula, Nanki-Shiranhama Airport and headed straight to Osaka Bay and landed on Kansai. Flying time was eight hours and forty-six minutes.

Service was definitely more elaborated on daytime international flights, and hot towels made its first appearance before service. Linen was then placed on each table, followed by our choice of beverage and the appetizer of the day, which was a salmon roulade filled with crabmeat salad and topped with caviar. A pair of chopsticks was also placed on each table. The service was definitely designed with its Japanese passengers in mind.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

After takeoff
Beverage/cocktail service accompanied by appetizer course
Today’s choice is a salmon roulade filled with crabmeat salad topped with caviar

During the flight
Dinner featuring the tastes of Hawaii

Soup Course
Butternut Squash and Lobster Bisque

Utensils wrapped in this ocean blue napkin

Plastic salt & pepper shakers

Salad Course
Rainbow Salad with Poached Pear and Raspberry Vinaigrette

Salad dressing could be served on the side or placed directly on top of your salad

(Bread rolls – choice of Hawaiian Sweet or Taro rolls was served today)

Entrée
Stuffed Chicken Wings with Rice Pilaf, Carrots, Broccolini and Sweet Chili sauce

Or
Pacific Salmon Warpped in Rice Paper with Macadamia Nut Pesto, Himalayan Rice, Asparagus and Leek Cream Sauce
Or
Japanese Eggplant Souffle with Marinara Sauce

From the Dessert Cart
Pineapple-Coconut Ice Cream Truffle with Strawberry Sorbet Center and Raspberry Crčme Anglaise
Coffee, Tea and Liqueurs

Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Hot tea service

Bottled waters were passed out after lunch

Duty free service was quickly followed and before the lights were turned off and when my neighbor went to use the bathroom, I took this shot of the seat in reclined position. As you could tell, the recline was not great (maybe better than a domestic first class seat on 757s, but for an international flight, that was bad. I know JAL uses some really old Boeing 767s on this flight, but with the new SkySuites soon, Hawaiian Airlines really need to think about a sub-fleet of Airbus A330-200s with at least 50 inches of legroom with more recline. They are flying towards Taipei, Auckland, and soon Beijing, so these borderline domestic seats are pretty bad. For US, this seat is pretty good, but for Asia, this is not good, unless they really cut their prices steeply.

The business class bathroom also decided to break after lunch and they could not flush. I used the bathroom shortly after takeoff and there were indeed more lotions and cosmetic items available, but I never got to take pictures of them. We had to use the bathroom right behind the mini economy class cabin. Thankfully it was not full today.

I forgot to mention about Hawaian Airlines’ personal entertainment program, which was surprisingly excellent. First/Business class had complimentary access to all movies and televisions, and there was a large selection of classic and new movies and television programs, and I watched lots of sitcoms, as I chose to stay up during this whole flight. Thank to Hawaiian service to Australia and I got to watch some funny episodes of “Kath and Kim,” as well as this following BBC comedy.

Just so appropriate, and I also watched “Hot in Cleveland” as well as “Two and Half Men”. There were plenty of televisions to watch for this eight hours flight.

During the flight, the F/As came by with the snack basket twice. Yes it was a bit obsessive but I marked the time – 6:19pm and 8:27pm, and the basket was available in the front galley during the whole flight between meals. The Japanese speaking F/A took her rest first, and when she came back for the last half of the flight, she made frequent beverage refills and I was very impressed with the high quality service, especially compared with the previous domestic flight. However I wonder if other F/As were as good as this particular one.

Almost forgot – here is today’s selection:

Hawaiian Original Flavored Potato chips

Shortbread Macadamia Nut Cookie – I like this cookie

About two hours prior to landing, afternoon tea service began with hot towels, and then a trolley featuring tea, coffee, some savories, which was a vegetarian samosa and a mini quiche. The sweets include a red velvet cake, lemon jam tart, and chocolate toffee sesame seed crunch. The afternoon tea service is a good concept, but it is too small. Given it is dinnertime in Hawaii I think a heartier meal should be offered. Some sandwiches should also be offered, as well as scones. There need to be more substances.

Prior to landing
High Tea – Hawaiian Style
A selection of savories and sweets inspired by the Islands

Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Sunset after afternoon tea

Some shots of the mini economy cabin behind business/first class – that cabin remained mostly empty during the flight.

Descent began at 5:53pm towards Kansai, and to my surprise, a farewell gift, which was wrapped Japanese style, was passed out to each J passenger.

Unwrapped – Chocolate covered honey coasted Macadamia Nuts

We landed on R/W6R at 6:23pm and we parked at gate 15 in the North Concourse of Terminal One three minutes later. Thankfully immigration was not too busy, as the Middle East and North America rush was over, and the last bank of Asian flights had yet to arrive. Remember early on, my bags were tagged all the way to Taipei, but since I remembered that Kansai did not allow overnight transit bag, I decided to head to the baggage claim and saw if my bags were rolled out. To no surprise, it was there, but I honestly did not want to drag my two heavy bags to the hotel or making baggage storage arrangement. So I asked an ANA ground staff, which were Hawaiian Airlines agents in KIX. She told me that I needed to pick up my bag, so I was glad that I checked. If I presumed everything would be arranged, there would be many hassles in the morning (well CX would have to trace my bags).

A final shot of Kansai at night

In conclusion, Hawaiian Airlines is definitely my preferred airline for flights between US West Coast and Hawaii, especially the Airbus A330 flights, which feature a better than average domestic premium seat, more creative food and beverage service, and a really good entertainment system. However, for international flights beyond six hours, this premium cabin becomes insufficient, and I can’t imagine flying it on eight hours and above redeye flights. The limited recline and the lack of legroom would make sleeping almost insufficient. Hawaiian is a low yield market but most airlines offer a better premium product on these flights between Japan and Hawaii, and the business class fares were not particularly cheaper than major US airlines. I guess a sub fleet of Airbus A330-200 with better J seats was near impossible, as HA utilizes its A330s all over its domestic and international network. However as Hawaiian Airlines is expanding to China or even into SE Asia, they need a better business class seat. Lounge at Honolulu is a big issue, and the lounge at the Inter-Island terminal is insufficient and pretty sad looking, as their contract lounges at other cities are better. I notice that many constructions are going on in the EWA concourse, and hope that Hawaiian Airlines is planning a major Premier Club there to serve its international passengers. To me, it is definitely an interesting experience and I am glad I fly its international service. However for future flights, I am going to stick with domestic flights. I hope you enjoy this report!

Carfield
Old Oct 6, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Fantastic trip report, thanks! My partner and I once took Hawaiian SFO>HNL in F. We weren't impressed with either the seats or the catering, but your international meals looked significantly better than what we got.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:35 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Carfield

What are those desserts?

Also, does HA offer Japanese-language magazines too?

The seat doesn't look too comfortable, but I'd be glad to take any flight to Japan...
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Thanks for posting. Very informative.

aks120
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to document this trip. I really wanted to know how Hawaiian was up front before choosing them. This just confirmed that, for me, Hawaiian would not be a good choice.

Thanks again and happy travels.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:47 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=BuildingMyBento;21568438]What are those desserts?

Pineapple Bouchon, Sesame seed cookie, and guava pound cake mini muffin

Also, does HA offer Japanese-language magazines too?
Only their own in-house magazine in a Japanese version. Newspapers are all local and I presume Japanese newspapers are offered on flights ex-Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.