Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

VS LHR to BOS in Upper Class (with photos)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum

Over the last several years, I have enjoyed taking advantage of the modest relationship between US Airways and Virgin Atlantic. As some of you know, once the AA-US merger was announced, the US-VS deal came to an end – last flights on which US flyers could get miles for VS flights was June 13th. So, I vowed to get one last trip in for a quick 48-hour trip to see friends in London.

Oh – and two weeks ago I got an iPhone so I can actually take photos without lugging out a big Nikon camera. So, this confluence of events has prompted my first attempt at a photo trip report. As you'll see, I haven't mastered use of the camera.

Outbound, I went with Premium Economy out of Logan. For such a short flight, Upper Class just doesn’t seem worth it. And, I don’t think the Boston Clubhouse is that exceptional. (I did use the Air France lounge via Priority Pass – that was pretty bad; I knew the BOS-CDG flight was leaving at about the same time as mine but didn’t realize that about half of the lounge would be closed off for construction. It was very crowded; a quick vodka tonic and cookie and I got out of there).

I should note that VS did offer me an upgrade at check in for $1700. I said I’d think about it for half that, but the check in manager said he couldn’t do anything about that.

Flight over did not many highlights, and I didn’t take any pictures. I really liked Premium Economy in the new A330; seemed to be lots of leg room and shoulder room on the window seat. That said, meal service was pretty slow and I didn’t sleep much. Flight landed on time at about 7:30 am. As expected, immigration queue was pretty long but I was able to use a fast lane pass from a prior Virgin flight. This speeded my transit quite a bit. Luggage arrived about 2 minutes after I did. After a quick shower and cup of coffee at the Air Canada arrivals lounge (thanks to Priority Pass again), it was off to London via the ever-more-expensive Heathrow Express amidst the mostly Dortmund-clad crowd of soccer fans.

The return flight was an excellent day of travel.

I received an email a day or two before return inviting me to use the Upper Class special drive in lane. I was a bit confused by it and there seem to be some suggestion that I would have less flexibility over when to arrive. So, I skipped that benefit and had the car service drop me off at main check in – about four before departure. I was determined to reap the full benefits of the London Clubhouse – and it didn’t disappoint.

There was no line at check in. The attendant asked if I had been to the special security gates and clubhouse before; when I said that I had, she sent me on my way. Short security queue and I was off to the clubhouse.
I first went to the spa desk and landed a noon haircut appointment.

As folks who have been to the London Clubhouse know, there are several places to sit. I have always been drawn to the mezzanine level – which is now the Grey Goose Loft. I particularly like it because there’s almost never anyone there – there was actually a staff one-on-one at one point while I was sitting up there. It’s really white . . .

But, it also makes for a good back drop for the first of the obligatory champagne pictures.

The loft also gives quick access to the outdoor viewing deck – again, I never see anyone up there and like it a lot.

As you can see, it was a beautiful day for flying. Actually, London weather was outstanding all weekend – which I understand has not been the case this spring. It was also a good day for plane spotting; photo is not great but I see Thai, AA, Virgin, Qantas, Air Canada:

So, after a quick haircut, it was time for another glass of champagne and lunch. Here is the menu:

I went with the salmon, which was well prepared.

After that, it was back up to the loft for some reading and some email and relaxing. From there, I took my trip out to meet the masses in the duty free mall. Some success:

When I got back to the lounge, there was a sign saying that the Grey Goose Loft was closed. Hmmm . . . something I did? I retrieved my things and went to the couches that overlooked the tarmac. It was time to move on from champagne. What shall it be? Apologies for the finger shadows:

I first went with Le Fizz which looked and tasted great. It also prompted some more plane spotting:

That last one is probably the best photo I took. Le Fizz was followed up by a tremendous Kentucky Cherry on the rocks. I was happier than a pig in slop. Oh and some ice cream just before they called the flight.

I loved the Clubhouse – the music, the bar, the staff, the spa, the views, the variety of places to sit and the drinks. Part II for the actual flight.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Part II

Departure gate wasn’t too far away and about 10 minutes after leaving the lounge, I was at Seat 6K on another new A330:

Not a great photo. I thought the seat was a little narrow and seemed to have fewer reclining options but overall more than satisfactory. It does feel less private than the A340. This is a little better photo:

Folks could have anything they wanted while boarding occurred. I had a Diet Pepsi (someone ironically given everything else that was consumed during the day) to start and then returned to my old friend Lanson. Others were drinking Cosmos and the like. The head of cabin appeared to go around and introduce herself to different folks in the cabin and offer to explain the seat to them. Not sure if she went in status order but never made it to me. Upper Class was about 80% full and the amenity kits are pretty handsome:

My Bose headsets just fit into the bag so I’ll be using that again. One can watch video on the ground (although can’t pop out the monitors). So, I started watching “This is 40” as we taxied and took a couple more plane photos – my favorite:

After takeoff, one can move the monitor out, and it was a very nice size and touch buttons were appropriately responsive. The entertainment system in general was first rate. Lots and lots of movies, TV shows and music. I enjoyed some of all of those. The screen is really big and well designed to work with the table.

Speaking of the table, menus were provided, but I forgot to snap the cover page:

They waited about 90 minutes before meal service -- which felt about right. In the meantime, I wandered back to the bar and got an excellent, very spicy Bloody Mary. I thought the layout of the place setting was quite chic; of course, the salt and pepper shakers are the highlight:

I had the salmon to start and a glass of the Sauvignon Blanc (I wasn’t really familiar with any of the wines; quite good:

I moved onto the filet of beef which was excellent and well cooked. I had the Argentinian red with that.

At the flight attendant’s suggestion, I had the sticky toffee for dessert. Outstanding!

Really full at this point. Once “This is 40” wrapped up – good film for a plane ride – I moved on to “Skyfall”. Really enjoyed it – maybe these miles will send me to Shanghai some day but without some of the skyscraper drama Bond went through:

Took a break in the middle and sat at the bar for a while. Chatted with some crew, read a magazine, finished off my wine and took a couple of photos:

All of that was followed by tea. Skipped the sandwiches but enjoyed the rest (although some of the tea landed in my lap; not too hot and flight attendant was very apologetic).

All too soon, our seven hours of flight time was over. Quick-ish taxi to the gate; 2 minutes at Global Entry; and about five minutes at baggage claim, and I was off.

A great showing by Virgin, and I hope I can start earning Delta points on them soon.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Great TR.
I am flying UC to Boston in November and can't wait!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
Nice report. The virgin club in London looks great, will definitely need to experience that one day! I agree the seat does look pretty narrow. Sounds like you enjoyed the experience!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Always enjoy a TR with photos.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Nice report - I never realized there was a mezzanine in the Clubhouse.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:56 am

Ooooo, new VS UC. Very nice!
Old May 16, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Cool! I am really looking forward to VS LHR-BOS coming up in a month's time!
Old May 17, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Gold, SPG Gold
Many thanks for the images and write up...I haven't flown Virgin for several years primarily because they don't fly to some of my most frequent cities, but have recently been considering them for leisure purposes - is the 330 PE cabin the latest incarnation of Premium Eco? I remain distinctly unimpressed with BA's WTP .
Old May 17, 2014, 9:30 pm

Great TR, and photos too. I too think the VS clubhouse is one of the best lounges to while away a few hours!
Old May 22, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for sharing your TR with us, very interesting, and must say the mezzanine floor of the clubhouse looks very nice, and lovely to be able to sit outside when the weather is lovely. Strange champagne glass looked like the very very old glasses one had years ago for babysham, thought they had gone out with the ark.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by GenBeauregarde
Many thanks for the images and write up...I haven't flown Virgin for several years primarily because they don't fly to some of my most frequent cities, but have recently been considering them for leisure purposes - is the 330 PE cabin the latest incarnation of Premium Eco? I remain distinctly unimpressed with BA's WTP .
VS have the same PE seat on all of their aircraft. It's the purple leather iteration.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Thanks for sharing your TR with us, very interesting, and must say the mezzanine floor of the clubhouse looks very nice, and lovely to be able to sit outside when the weather is lovely. Strange champagne glass looked like the very very old glasses one had years ago for babysham, thought they had gone out with the ark.
Yeah. I prefer the flute.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous trip report!! I'm so glad you had a great flight. Enjoy BOS trip.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:36 am

Great trip report. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.