FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   Petition for full trip reports before starting threads (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1472469-petition-full-trip-reports-before-starting-threads.html)

macabus Jun 2, 2013 6:56 pm

Petition for full trip reports before starting threads

Once upon a time, FT members posted trip reports AFTER they completed their trip. A reader could peruse the Trip Reports section and feel confident that once they found an interesting thread, they could actually read the report.

It has now gotten to the point that many members post epic itineraries before they even step on a plane, and then rarely follow through, leaving readers to keep checking back in hopes of updates.

There are some longtime members who do keep a running journal of their travels, such as EightBlack, Moomba, SFO777 and others. But I think the vast majority are causing the Trip Reports section to lose credibility.

Do other FT members feel the same? Should there be some type of criteria that a substantial portion of the report be posted first?

What are your thoughts on this?

mr_rogers Jun 2, 2013 7:21 pm

I agree. In many instances, I see this amazing trip report, only to be left with a simple itinerary.

matthandy Jun 2, 2013 7:38 pm

Agreed. I do the same, I see a great thread title, click on it and then I'm disappointed.

In my opinion, you should have at least done the first leg before posting.

We'll have to petition Moomba for a rule change (if that is what you are proposing).

Flyingfox Jun 2, 2013 7:48 pm

Agreed.

splicer100 Jun 2, 2013 8:02 pm

I agree. When I see an interesting trip report title, I want to read the entire report. An itinerary is not enough to make me want to come back and read more.

Alinlondon Jun 2, 2013 8:13 pm

Agree.

yerffej201 Jun 2, 2013 8:56 pm

I actually don't mind. What I really mind is the trip reports that are not completed with the reserved posts. So even if I subscribe, I don't know whether the new parts of the trip is out. At least with other ones, I can see in my subscribed threads list when a new part gets posted.

zgscl Jun 2, 2013 9:27 pm

I also agree.

ORDnHKG Jun 3, 2013 12:09 am

I think we need to have some standard here.

If the person doesn't post at least one leg of the trip report after he/she started the itnerary post, that trip report should be deleted within 2 days.

Also, it should have a requirement of some photos or link to photos. I don't go to A.net often, but whenever I go, I go straight to their trip report section, as those on A.net have photos on every single trip reports. (I know some of them on A.net are a little excessive, like 10 photos for take off and 10 photos for landing). Here on FT I would say only 3/4 have photos.

amolkold Jun 3, 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by matthandy (Post 20854692)
In my opinion, you should have at least done the first leg before posting.

^

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 20855720)
Also, it should have a requirement of some photos or link to photos. I don't go to A.net often, but whenever I go, I go straight to their trip report section, as those on A.net have photos on every single trip reports. (I know some of them on A.net are a little excessive, like 10 photos for take off and 10 photos for landing). Here on FT I would say only 3/4 have photos.

Highly disagree with this, there are people who have riveting TRs without pics. Take macabus (the OP) for example, he wrote what many consider to be the greatest TR on this board and it had 0 pics. Same with most of eightblack's reports. Anyone can dump crappy quality iPhone pics into a report, but not all have the gift of prose.

You are demanding people to adapt to your style, which isn't what this thread is about. All we care about is that a TR be completed.

camsean Jun 3, 2013 1:44 am

Agree that the itinerary threads with no follow through are annoying.

Strongly disagree that a TR should have photos. What's next? Novels must have pictures?

paulkaz Jun 3, 2013 2:15 am

I also agree. Trip reports are greatly appreciated but it s difficult to remember which part submitted reports have been read and worse you check the last page only to find recent additions are comments and not the balance of the report.
These are very much first world problems however!!!

CzeSEN Jun 3, 2013 2:21 am

While I wholeheartedly agree with OP's proposition, I would modify the proposed requirement from posting the TR in its entirety to having completed the first leg/ substantial part of the trip. After all, we surely do not want to loose those riveting, action-by-action, day-by-day travel journals that TR legends such as SFO777, eightblack, and ung1 delight us with on a regular basis. And let's use the common sense here when it comes to determining the substantiality – we're all big boys & girls ;).

Disagree: on the photo requirement.

Catweazle Jun 3, 2013 2:55 am

I guess I don't particularly mind either way, but would be tending towards opening up a thread and seeing the Full trip report in front of my eyes... or am I just being lazy :D

As per photos - I prefer them, they add a spark of colour, especially if taken in less-written-about places like MLE or GRU or LYR. But unless it's specifically a "photo-trip-report" then the words are primarily what matters.

SMART51 Jun 3, 2013 6:45 am

Strongly agree