Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

BA Club Europe to Geneva

BA Club Europe to Geneva

Old Apr 19, 13, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
BA Club Europe to Geneva

I have a client in Geneva who needed to see me in person for some meetings. This came as a nice surprise as I hadn't had a work trip away in a wee while. I'd also not flown CE since December so thought I'd take some pictures and put something together when I came back. As luck would have it, I probably have to go back twice more so I'll maybe update this thread as I go along and compare the journey on different weeks!

So after I found out I had to go to Geneva, a few clicks later, I was booked in CE from ABZ-LHR-GVA.

ABZ-LHR, BA1309, G-EUOH

I left the office just after lunchtime and got to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Check-in was extremely fast and the girl told me to use the fast track lane and then go to the lounge. Fast track was exactly that - there was nobody infront of me. It was great!

Went to the Terraces lounge until the flight was called for boarding. There are a couple of nice ladies who always seem to work in the lounge and one of them smiled and welcomed me back (even though I'm not the most frequent of visitors but it was a nice touch). The lounge was pretty busy - one of the flights to LCY was away to be called. I managed to find a seat though and grabbed a drink from the bar. The food offering really is not much to talk about. One tray of sandwiches (which actually look like they were bought from Marksies and cut in half) is not enough to do a whole lounge full of people. There aren't even any bags of crisps in sight! I managed to do some work and as time wore on, I thought it would be acceptable to have a glass of wine A glass (or so) later, the nice lady on the desk made an announcement that the flight was ready for boarding and that everyone in the lounge could use the fast track boarding. I love that BA do fast track boarding at the out stations now - nice touch.

Got outside and found that our plane was one of the 'doves' which are in the BA fleet. I was happy as I hadn't been on one of them before. Some people think they look hideous - I quite like them and it was nice to see it close up.

We pushed back slightly late but soon were on our way. It was a pretty decent day for flying. The 'food' offering was the usual - tiny packet of crisps. Suppose it's decent enough for an hour and 20 mins in the air though.

The crew were nice enough but not memorable apart from the purser. He was a right funny chap. Cheery chappy!

"Welllll ladies and gentlemen, as you just heard we will be pushing back very soon for that taxi to the runway and then that takeoff and you will be on your way to Heathrow.......as a consequence of that, cabin crew, please prepare for the safety demonstration."

"Welllll ladies and gentlemen, we are very close to making that landing and will soon be in London's Heathrow airport. Therefore, cabin crew, please take your seats for landing."

So we made that landing and were soon off the plane but had to get bussed to the terminal......pain. Arrived in T5 and made my way to Galleries North. Sat on the outside terrace bit and had a late lunch which was lovely along with a glass of wine.

LHR-GVA, BA736, G-EUPL

It was soon time to dash to the next flight. Used fast track boarding and was on board in no time. Not greeted by name, just a smile and told on what side my seat was. I had a row of three to myself which was great. Jacket was hung in the cupboard by the friendly member of cabin crew.

We pushed back and were on our way when we stopped and the engines powered down. Then there was a short wait. Then more of a wait. And then the captain came over the blower and told us that there was a problem with one of the warning lights in the cockpit and that he wanted to get it fixed before we took off. Better to sort these things out on the ground before you get into the air I think!

So we started moving and went to some remote part and two engineers disappeared into the cockpit. I dozed off but woke up over an hour later and we were still sitting there. The captain was actually very good at giving updates and the cabin crew came through the CE cabin with glasses of water while we were waiting.

We were on the ground for two hours but whatever it was got fixed and we took off on our way to Geneva.

One plus point about taking off late was that we got to see a great sunset from 39,000ft.

The meal was served and it was actually pretty decent. A sort of cured meats and cheese plate which was substantial enough to be honest.

Tea and coffee were offered as were post-dinner drinks. I went for a Baileys and was given two - great service in my book

Landed in Geneva two hours late and there wasn't much to see from up above as we came into land. Priority baggage worked - my bag was third out! The taxi queue was massive but I was soon on my way to the city.

I stayed in Hotel les Armures in the old town (http://www.hotel-les-armures.ch). It is lovely. The staff are wonderful and the rooms are well equipped.

I went to a bar nearby and had one beer while reading the paper and then headed to bed as I was expecting a really busy day the next day.

I got up slightly early the next morning and went for a wander around beside the hotel. Geneva looks like it is a lovely city and I have changed my flights for my next trip so that I get some time to have a look around before starting work.

Had breakfast in the hotel which was really nice - quite a large selection of hams, cheeses, fruits, juices, cereals, pastries, etc.

The weather in Geneva was great - hitting 25/25 degrees. Seemingly it's the nicest a lot of people can remember it that time of year. It had me wishing that I was anyway but my client's office!

So after two days of hard graft, it was time to head back to the UK.

Old Apr 19, 13, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

GVA-LHR, BA735, G-EUPK

The lounge at GVA was mobbed. I was lucky to find a seat. The earlier LHR flight was delayed over an hour so that mob were still in the lounge. Food offering - not much to write home about but there was a decent Bordeaux which kept me entertained for 90 minutes.

I was sitting at the wrong side of the plane to get a decent view of the mountains on take off, but did mange to get some nice enough shots once we got above the clouds.

I loved sitting next to the engine as got a great reflection of the plane...

Got given the hot rag and then the meal service started. Again, it was a nice salad with a great chilli dressing. Two bread runs done as well as more than two drinks runs. Baileys - again, got two - "But Sir, it's have one, get two" - oh well, who am I to say no?!

The two crew serving CE on this flight (there were 28 of us in the cabin) were amazing. Probably the best crew I have come across so far on BA and are a true credit to the organisation. Addressed by name at the door and on every other occasion I was asked anything - whether I'd be having dinner, what I'd like to drink, would I like more bread, would I like another drink - name used each time. Really impressive and the two of them were friendly and genuinely seemed interested in the passengers. If all crew were like that, I would fly CE all the time!

BA1318, LHR-ABZ, G-EUXF

Slight delay coming into Heathrow which meant that I had to sprint to get the ABZ flight. I really don't remember much about it. I had a nice Tempranillo and then dropped off. I woke up as we thudded onto the runway at Aberdeen and nearly sh!t myself much to the amusement of the cabin crew guy sitting opposite me (I managed to bag that seat at the emergency exit with nothing in front of it!).

To be continued.......in a few weeks......
Old Apr 19, 13, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Great pictures and wonderful report. Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 21, 13, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Andriyko - amazing what a wee iPhone can do!
Old Apr 21, 13, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Thanks for sharing, stu1985. I know I'm in the minority, but I'll take intra-Europe service over an US domestic First Class seat with no service on a short haul flight.
Old Apr 21, 13, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks dat4life - I can't compare but I must say that I am very impressed so far by BA's CE offering. Perhaps my expectations were set so low with the horror stories on the BA board that I was somewhat surprised when I experienced it myself
Old Apr 22, 13, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I miss Geneva... Was one of my favourite cities to work flights too and from on short haul.

Glad you seemed to enjoy it!

Did you go alone? I might have missed that bit... Tired.
Old Apr 22, 13, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

My boss tagged along for the ride....

Nice city - hope to see some more of it in a few weeks
Old May 8, 13, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Bump. Some more thoughts after a recent trip.

The lounge at ABZ was dead the morning I was leaving to go back to GVA. The food selection is nice - the porridge was decent and I liked that there was a selection of pastries and fruit. It certainly looks more professional than it did before.

The early morning flight from ABZ is always a killer. I really am not a morning person. I chose the window seat in the last row hoping that I could stretch out and snooze. No chance. This local guy came on and all he wanted to do was chat. Not really what I wanted at 6.30am. I gave brief pleasantries and then pretended to snooze until the salty breakfast was delivered It wasn't actually all that bad contrary to popular belief.

Had near enough 3 hours to kill in LHR so went to Galleries North. I munched on some of the breakfast items there and then took a wander to Galleries South where I found a seat right at the end overlooking security. Watched a few things on iPlayer and had a few glasses of fizz (it's 5pm somewhere, right?) and then headed to the A gate for boarding. Fast track was very fast and I was soon on board.

Lovely CSD called 'B' was welcoming people on board and she was assisted by an older lady (who was very classy buying duty free fags half way through the flight then stuffing them into her handbag infront of me...).

Turned out the overhead screens weren't working and the crew had to do a manual safety demonstration. It was hilarious. They obviously weren't prepared for having to do it so cue much rushing around to find the equipment with the girl at the back who was doing the talking not realising that the lot at the front hadn't quite set up yet and us getting closer and closer to the runway. I really wish I could have video'd it - the look on the faces of the crew was amazing.

I managed to bag the emergency exit row on the A321 so had masses of leg room which was nice.

It was a late morning flight so there was an offering of fruit or a meat platter. I went for the meat and it was fairly decent for that time of day. Had one of the wee champagnes with it and was then offered another by a gorgeous French cabin crew member. Who am I to refuse? Then about 15 mins from landing in GVA, the male member of cabin crew came to me and tidied up my glass and asked if I wanted yet another champagne. Me: "Oh, I don't know if there's time".....Him: "There's always time for you sir. I bet you can drink fast" - the cheek! Ha! Anyway, another one was graciously accepted and yes, finished before landing.

I took a wander around Geneva around the lake and got caught in a massive downpour. Got back to the hotel absolutely drenched.

I stayed in Les Armures - it's a lovely hotel in the old town.

Headed home the next day. Got some great views of GVA and the mountains on the climb out.

Food - not really that impressive. A smoked salmon 'salad'.

The crew on this flight were a strange bunch. The CSD was quite aloof and there was just something about her which didn't sit right. She made it obvious that she was just going through the motions of the service. However, there was another Scottish lady working with her and she was wonderful. I asked to wait a while before having a cup of coffee. She remembered to come back and when I asked for a Baileys to go with it, she rushed off and came back with the Baileys and a pack of cookies. It's small things like that which people remember.

Old May 8, 13, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Nice reports! ^

Love the view climbing out of GVA especially if the fountain is working!
Old May 8, 13, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post

Are those Velcro Shoes???
Old May 9, 13, 1:09 am
Original Poster

The cheek! No they are not! Admittedly, they aren't as posh as those ones you were flashing off in your TR
Old May 13, 13, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Bump.

Last trip was at the end of last week.

Flew from ABZ at a lunchtime so got to see what their 'new' selection in the lounge was. It wasn't too bad actually. Previous times when I have been, there have been about 4 quarters of sandwiches but today there were two large trays (egg and cress and tuna I think) along with trays of crackers/oatcakes with cheese, ham and other meats. There was also some tomato and red pepper soup which was yum!

We boarded the plane on time but had to sit for about 40 minutes before taxiing as there were high winds down London way. We were warned that it would probably be pretty bumpy going in to LHR (it was). Had a red wine on the way down - the Tempranillo is actually quite nice.

Went to Galleries North after I got off the plane. I've read some of the posts on here recently about the food offering during the day and I think I agree with what has been said. There wasn't much out at all. A few bits of cake and some nibbly crisp things. Not exactly inspired catering. I managed to survive on a few G&Ts though.

The flight over to GVA was fine. The CSD was a nice lady probably in her early 40s. Chatty enough. The salad of chorizo, goats cheese and yellow peppers was great. No pic as the iPhone decided to run out of battery just as I was pressing click.

I stayed an extra night in Geneva so that I could have some time to myself on Saturday. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza beside the hotel. It is undergoing renovations at the moment but most of the rooms have been done and are quite impressive. I checked in and got given a free bus ticket for the length of my stay - supposedly all hotels do this in Geneva. It came in handy the next morning when I took the bus into the city for a wander around. I stayed in the hotel bar on Friday night and drank some Swiss wine and ate tapas. It was lovely!

Got up early on Saturday which was a struggle as the bed was so comfy but I wanted to have a few hours of wandering around. Geneva is a lovely city - quite picturesque. I took a few pics with the phone which probably don't do the city justice, but you can get a taste of what it is like.

Oh, and I came across something one of the BA Mods may like......! His namesake!

I caught the bus back to the hotel, freshened up and checked out. The hotel put on a complimentary mini bus to take you to the airport so I took advantage of that and was there within 5 minutes. I was the only person at check in and was through fast track security in under 5 minutes. A quick stop off to take my secretary back some Swiss chocolate and I was at the Galleries lounge. It was very quiet - just me and two other guys in there. I snapped a few pics.

The sandwiches were ok. Nothing special but filled a hole. Quaffed a few glasses of white (can't for the life of me remember what it was) and boarding was soon called.

I was welcomed on board by the most charming member of crew I think I have ever encountered on BA. She was lovely. I recognised the lady who was with her at the front from my ABZ-LHR flight on the Thursday and gave her a smile. We took off on time and, shortly after take off, the lovely CSD came up to me and asked whether I was travelling on to ABZ that evening.

"Yes....."
"Oh wonderful, us too! One of my colleagues think she recognises you from somewhere but she is a bit embarrassed because she can't remember why."
"Oh, she took me from Aberdeen to London on Thursday".
"I'll just go and tell her"

And so this started a wonderful short lived relationship between us for the duration of that flight and the next. Afternoon tea was served. People moan about it but I think it's fine enough for a short flight. The scones were good. I had a wee champagne. And then another. And then the captain announced that we would be in the hold for 25 minutes so my new best friend appeared at my side with another wee champagne and proclaimed that I might as well just have it because "we will be rolling around up here for at least another 20 minutes". Well, I couldn't refuse.

Anyway, the CSD really was charming. She took a genuine interest in everyone in the CE cabin. She chatted to the guy next to me about him going to Vancouver, she chatted to the family in front of me and gave small talk to the kids and she yapped all the way to the back of the cabin (and back again). On the ABZ flight, she yapped to me for another 25 minutes. I told her that it was so refreshing to have someone who pays a genuine interest in the passengers. She told me it was just because she was nosey! I sent a wee well done thing on the BA website. She deserves a raise. Can you tell I was impressed?!
Old May 13, 13, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Galleries was just as bad as it was when I was there the last time. Some cake and Japanese rice crackers...

Met at the door by my new bff. "Fancy seeing you here again" and she then explained to the captain that they had taken me over from GVA earlier.

It was bright once we punched above the clouds.

I had a red wine and before I knew it, we were heading back down through the clouds and into ABZ. Some nice views of the coast on the way in. I'm lucky to live in such a picturesque part of the world.

And that was the trip that was. Those three return trips have taken me to bronze level with BA.....cue the ooh's and aah's. I was fairly impressed with the CE offering but the only thing I don't like is how much the crews differ. If some were just slightly more friendly, I don't think that would be a bad thing.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading my ramblings. Of course, this is not up to BBB standard or Matt standard or SFO standard but these things are quite fun to put together!
Old May 13, 13, 2:45 pm

Nice TR not been to Geneva for a few years. Their lounge seems ok, better than Zurich one

Search this Thread