Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Horn of Africa: trip to Yemen, Socotra, Somaliland, and more

Horn of Africa: trip to Yemen, Socotra, Somaliland, and more

Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Scotia Points, Aeroplan, Nexus, Global Entry
Wow what a fantastic TR, the best of the year so far with a wonderful combination of narrative and wonderful photos. I too would love to go to Yemen and Somaliland. The one drawback i find in visiting muslim countries is the obvious lack of alcohol. I love a good drink especially travelling and there are only so many coffees one can have during the day. I remember when travelling through Morocco and Tunisia there were many instances that i just wanted to have a drink on a terrace by the street and watch the world go by. But enough of the negatives. Again a wonderful TR, had a great sense of travelling those roads with you, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
What a great report, thank you. I always love a good dose of hauteboy exotica, and this does not disappoint. Yemen has been on my to do list for a little while now, and this reinforces that ambition. Looking forward to more instalments...

Originally Posted by pycut
I did an extremely similar trip in January of this year. In Yemen I also stayed in the Arabia Felix Hotel; in Harar I was in the Belayneh; and in Hargeisa I was also in the Oriental.

On the same trip I also went to Djibouti, Eritrea and Sudan. Eritrea was an absolute gem. What a pity that it's so hard to reach.
What made Eritrea such a gem, pycut? It's not somewhere one ever hears about in a travel context. Even makes Yemen look on the beaten track...
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by mad_atta
What a great report, thank you. I always love a good dose of hauteboy exotica, and this does not disappoint. Yemen has been on my to do list for a little while now, and this reinforces that ambition. Looking forward to more instalments...

What made Eritrea such a gem, pycut? It's not somewhere one ever hears about in a travel context. Even makes Yemen look on the beaten track...
Yeah sorry have gotten behind on this trip (and my last report as well)... never seem to be able to finish the last week.

I'm interested in Eritrea as well.. getting the visa there is supposedly difficult. As it happens my passport is at the Eritrean embassy in DC right now... it's supposed to take 5 days with expedited service but so far it's been over 5 days and no word yet...
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC silver, CX gold, FB ivory
Thanks, I really enjoyed your trip report. Socotra was always somewhere which looked really interesting to visit and its great to see a report from there.

On the subject of Eritrea I was lucky enough to visit there before the clamp down on visas etc and it was indeed an absolute gem, especially Asmara and Nakfa. Here is a link to a TR which I wrote about it if anyone is interested.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ip-report.html
Old May 13, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zanskar
Thanks, I really enjoyed your trip report. Socotra was always somewhere which looked really interesting to visit and its great to see a report from there.

On the subject of Eritrea I was lucky enough to visit there before the clamp down on visas etc and it was indeed an absolute gem, especially Asmara and Nakfa. Here is a link to a TR which I wrote about it if anyone is interested.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ip-report.html
I just got my Eritrea visa last week and hopefully will pickup my Saudi transit visa today... Heading back to that part of the world in a few weeks. I guess I need to finish this blog first...
Old May 13, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by hauteboy
I just got my Eritrea visa last week and hopefully will pickup my Saudi transit visa today... Heading back to that part of the world in a few weeks. I guess I need to finish this blog first...
Yes you do! I crossed from Kyrgyzstan into Kazakhstan today and hit #135....getting there slowly!
Old May 13, 2013, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Yes you do! I crossed from Kyrgyzstan into Kazakhstan today and hit #135....getting there slowly!
Great! Krgyz was my favorite of the -stans. Just picked up my Saudi transit visa! Eritrea/Saudi will be #147/148. I'll probably get to 150 this year but not sure what is next.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Great! Krgyz was my favorite of the -stans. Just picked up my Saudi transit visa! Eritrea/Saudi will be #147/148. I'll probably get to 150 this year but not sure what is next.
Better speed up, I'm coming for you! Already booked for Ecuador, Bolivia, and a west africa trip from Cote d'Ivoire to Nigeria later this year so that'll get me to 142! ^

Oh, and loved Kyrgyz, there was just something super cool...I'm not so keen in Kazakhstan so far, but looking very forward to Uzbekistan!
Old May 14, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Great TR as ever.

Oh and add me to the list of those who lack insane friends and therefore would consider going travelling with a bunch of randoms off the internet (Uzbekistan anybody?).
Old May 14, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Oh and add me to the list of those who lack insane friends and therefore would consider going travelling with a bunch of randoms off the internet (Uzbekistan anybody?).
Who volunteers to help organize? I think we'd have a fascinating time....problem is finding a strange enough place we all haven't been to!
Old May 15, 2013, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Who volunteers to help organize? I think we'd have a fascinating time....problem is finding a strange enough place we all haven't been to!
I say south Pacific... Tuvalu, etc. Problem is flights are only Tu/Th from Suva (Fiji). And I won't be able to travel until next year most likely.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

I say south Pacific... Tuvalu, etc. Problem is flights are only Tu/Th from Suva (Fiji). And I won't be able to travel until next year most likely.

Probably a good use of QF miles for hopping around some of the islands. Air Pacific used to have an airpass but can't find any recent info.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:03 pm

Probably a good use of QF miles for hopping around some of the islands. Air Pacific used to have an airpass but can't find any recent info.
Tuvalu would be great...I still need to do Fiji as well. I'm going to be pretty booked for 2013 as well, so maybe we can all plan something in the first half of 2014? This is going to be logistically tough, but I volunteer to take the lead. We could all meet Fiji and do sidetrips from there....

Anyone who's interested, PM me...I'll organize a list and we can either do via e-mail or something else.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:28 am

Your trips are just amazing and unique!! Great report.
Old May 21, 2013, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Did you have any problems upon returning to the U.S. following your visit to Yemen? I am thinking about going there as well, but don't want to be "marked" for extra security on every entry into the U.S. following my visit. Any thoughts on what you experienced post-trip?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.